Sign in to follow this  
Oldragon

The moment of truth.

Lets say that im about to present the series to my girlfriend, he has played some FF and Persona 4. Her only experience with the series was DQ 8 and not a good one xd lets say that she was dead about 5 minutes in the game and toss the disc out of the ps2. (not original) Welp years later and knowing my good taste he wants to play DQ and im thinking in 9 with the multiplayer buuuut i dont know if is the correct game. If i have to say a good first DQ i say IV, but the idea of IX sounds nice. My doubts come when i think about other people in the past that i present the series with 9 and dislike it.

IX or not IX

I personally think 4 is the best one to start with. But who knows, maybe the customization will turn her 'round

• Upvote 1

I personally think 4 is the best one to start with. But who knows, maybe the customization will turn her 'round

Yes. It sets up a big party so nicely. She can experience 1, 2, 3 members before chapter 5. Not monster recruiting or classes to master yet. Great 1st game.
  • Upvote 1

Yes. It sets up a big party so nicely. She can experience 1, 2, 3 members before chapter 5. Not monster recruiting or classes to master yet. Great 1st game.

It's my goto defacto first pick to start someone off with DQ.  The simplicity, the first character story, the measured approach to every element because most DQ basic conventions were finalize with III, and the lack of worry about dealing with customization options, which can be introduced after with DQ9 or 3.  It's just pure, basic DQ at its best.

• Upvote 1

Like everyone else mentioned, I think IV would be a good place for her to start. Chapters 1-4 can be treated as their own miniature Dragon Quests taking breaks between each of these stories could help her not see the game as overwhelming.

IX would be great for the two of you either when she's beaten IV or is more familiar with the general concepts found in DQ. I got IX for a friend who had never tried DQ before so they could play with me, but starting them off by telling them it was multiplayer-focused caused them not to play on their own, wanting to rely on my higher leveled characters instead.

Just remember that the DS version of IV has no party chat like the Android/iOS versions do. However, if this is her first DQ then I don't think the lack of party chat will be a huge blow.

• Upvote 1

If she's played and liked some FF, then DQIV should be a good starting point. She may even get a sense of deja-vu playing it. ;)

• Upvote 1

And DQ IX wins this time, the presentation of the history have conquest my girl heart. Im going to prepare my game and play with her. Thank you guys

Cool.  That's a good pick as well, and it was what you were steering towards as your introduction.  Makes sense, since it's an easier sell when you like it so much, and wish to promote it.  Hopefully she thoroughly enjoys the experience!