Sign in to follow this  
paunchberry

DQ8 Pushed To 2017?

I'm fine with it being pushed back. I already have enough RPGs to keep me occupied for a while, so I'm good waiting a little longer.

Me too.

That way I can also play through DQ7 without feeling rushed, unlike the scenario I had with DQ4 and DQ5. My mom who was living with me at the time, asked "Why not wait until you get the tax checks?" (In regards to DQ4, but considering that I was reluctantly buying her cigarettes at the time, she shouldn't have asked that) Trying to go through two games at once would become flustering.

*Sees the more recent posts*

Edit: Nevermind. :P

Edited by Stepchan

I still see a big possibility of DQ8 being pushed to '17.  There needs to be some room between the two games.

I actually would like for VIII to be released next year.

I love VII and want to dedicate a lot of time to it. Of course, that does not stop me from buying other games, but there is also my money to take into account. I still have to buy Builders and Heroes 2. With VII and VIII, that would be more money than I can spend in a very short time.

• Upvote 1

I'm fine with DQ VIII getting pushed to 2017, but I want to know that we're still getting a physical retail release of DQ VII.   

I can't think of any Nintendo games that were digital only on the 3DS. Obviously I'm only talking about games that were previously released physically in Japan and other regions. Surely the sales for Fatal Frame V couldn't have been that great compared to the cost of localizing it to warrant continuing digital-only games releases.

Digital-only is great when localizing or developing a game for systems like the PS4 and Xbox One because they hold a lot of space. It affords companies the chance to publish games that they might not have otherwise been able to had they needed to also include a physical version. For Nintendo, it's actually a detriment considering the limited space on their systems. Owners of Nintendo systems get very little room to work with to download more than one or two full retail games. Not to mention the fact that the game is then tied to that system instead of an account.

I'm fine with DQ VIII getting pushed to 2017, but I want to know that we're still getting a physical retail release of DQ VII.   

That's always been the plan and it hasn't changed.

Physical as well as "will also be available to download from the Nintendo eShop"

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:a4XRCcMulr4J:https://press.nintendo.com/DRAGON-QUEST-VII-Fragments-of-the-Forgotten-Past+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us#?tab=screenshots

• Distribution Retail and Digital

Cover art:

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/03/04/look-dragon-quest-viis-north-american-cover-art-trailer-screenshots/

•  
Edited by Tiael

Dragon Quest VII is a rather daunting localization task. Especially with the new translation. They probably under estimated the shear man hours needed to successfully localize Dragon Quest 7 and pushed 8 to 2017.

Dragon Quest VII is a rather daunting localization task. Especially with the new translation. They probably under estimated the shear man hours needed to successfully localize Dragon Quest 7 and pushed 8 to 2017.

I call BS. Dragon Warrior VII (English) came out about a year after Dragon Quest VII (Japanese) on the PlayStation. I'd give them two years for a higher-quality localization. Three would be pushing it way too far. But four years later? There better not be a delay.

And Dragon Quest VIII has already been released in English - twice - under the new localization standards. The extra content shouldn't take more than a few months to localize at most, including voice acting. I can understand waiting to release it a little while after DQVII, to give fans more time to play DQVII before turning their attention to VIII, and to give new players time to play VII for the first time before bombarding them with a sequel, but it could come out this year still. I'd totally support pushing it to next year if that means it doesn't coincide with the western release of a more widely known JRPG, though. Less competition couldn't hurt in this case.

I call BS. Dragon Warrior VII (English) came out about a year after Dragon Quest VII (Japanese) on the PlayStation. I'd give them two years for a higher-quality localization. Three would be pushing it way too far. But four years later? There better not be a delay.

And Dragon Quest VIII has already been released in English - twice - under the new localization standards. The extra content shouldn't take more than a few months to localize at most, including voice acting. I can understand waiting to release it a little while after DQVII, to give fans more time to play DQVII before turning their attention to VIII, and to give new players time to play VII for the first time before bombarding them with a sequel, but it could come out this year still. I'd totally support pushing it to next year if that means it doesn't coincide with the western release of a more widely known JRPG, though. Less competition couldn't hurt in this case.

Dragon Quest VII has been in the talks for localization for a while but they had to get the clear to localize that even after Iwata pushed that it get released in the west. It's most likely a risk v.s. reward thing. Maybe they're spreading the 3DS titles thin over the next few months or as you said, they didn't want it to compete with Pokemon Sun and Moon. Which means Dragon Quest VII must release between June and October which is more than likely. I'm not giving Nintendo/SE any immunity, but there's deep business decisions that go into localizing any game. Dragon Quest games, especially 7, are generally somewhat expensive, time and money considered. Also like you said, we need space between these two games. They're the biggest games in the series' history in terms of story and playtime.

Ultimately, although it took other vocalizations a shorter time, there's much more to think about in terms of localizing a JRPG in the west, especially if it's lesser known like DQ. Then again, DQ is the 4th most popular JRPG in the US behind FF, Kingdom Hearts, and Pokemon. But I digress, I actually don't mind as long as we get DQ7 this year.

4th? I think that may be pushing it.

The game itself is likely finished at this point. Nintendo is trying to figure out a release window. This happens quite a bit with DQ in the US. IV DS was finished practically a year before it was released.

• Upvote 1

Wait...if IV DS was finished almost a year before release, why didn't they translate some of the party chat then? You'd think with all that time they would have translated at least part of what the characters had to say.

• Upvote 1

Really? In terms of sales in the west... Dragon Quest ranks 4th in JRPGS. Persona, Shine Megami Tensei, Y's, Tales of, Bravely Default, ...oh, maybe it's 5th due to the latest resurgence of Fire Emblem in the west. But I can't think of any other JRPGS that sell better than DQ than FF, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon and now Fire Emblem. Dragon Quest 8 and 9, main series titles, sell 600-700K which isn't amazing but it isn't bad. By comparison the latest Tales of game sold 140K on PS4, that game being Tales of Zestiria. And combined sales of Dragon Quest 8 and 9 in US and Europe are each 1.2 Million which like I said, isn't amazing but it's nothing to sneeze at.

Wait...if IV DS was finished almost a year before release, why didn't they translate some of the party chat then? You'd think with all that time they would have translated at least part of what the characters had to say.

Because it wasn't a time thing. They just didn't want to or want to pay to.

Really? In terms of sales in the west... Dragon Quest ranks 4th in JRPGS. Persona, Shine Megami Tensei, Y's, Tales of, Bravely Default, ...oh, maybe it's 5th due to the latest resurgence of Fire Emblem in the west. But I can't think of any other JRPGS that sell better than DQ than FF, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon and now Fire Emblem. Dragon Quest 8 and 9, main series titles, sell 600-700K which isn't amazing but it isn't bad. By comparison the latest Tales of game sold 140K on PS4, that game being Tales of Zestiria. And combined sales of Dragon Quest 8 and 9 in US and Europe are each 1.2 Million which like I said, isn't amazing but it's nothing to sneeze at.
Oh, JRPGs. I was just thinking RPGs in general.

I know that. Money reasons have been said plenty of times, but I assumed it was because they were running out of time before the game went into production/had to be finalized for release. Learning that they were finished with the translation well in advance yet couldn't do even a little of the party chat is highly suspect.

I know that. Money reasons have been said plenty of times, but I assumed it was because they were running out of time before the game went into production/had to be finalized for release. Learning that they were finished with the translation well in advance yet couldn't do even a little of the party chat is highly suspect.
It does scream of a big $#!& YOU to us fans, yes.

Lets hope they don't skimp out on VII.

Watch as all the party chat is changed to: "..." or "X is lost in thought..."

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Wait...if IV DS was finished almost a year before release, why didn't they translate some of the party chat then?

Because Square Enix didn't give IV enough of a budget for the party chat.

• Upvote 1

It does scream of a big $#!& YOU to us fans, yes.

I don't take it as such.

You have to remember the NX was initially set to reveal e3 2015, now it won't show until e3 2017.  Zelda has been pushed back, and even SE is pretty booked, having to hold off until September, when the original FF15 release was back in March, and worldwide.  Meaning they're prioritizing other things, and they're already  YEARS behind schedule.

The number of hints leading up to DQ7's release, and the fan backlash that led to the eventual unplanned, early reveal and constant nonstop willing to speak about the game that's not supposed to be released suggests a lot of time, effort, energy, and money is already put behind this.  They'd look like total asses if they $#!& the gaming public over.  It would go over very poorly with investors, especially in light of DQ11, DQ9's sales figures, and that the NX will need as many new, finished, and guaranteed sales as it can get: afterall, we know the NX will see a version of DQ11.

Nintendo and SE would look really foolish at this point.  Set up to re-energize the DQ fanbase, promote, promise, then cancel last second?  They do NOT need bad publicity.  Neither company does.

At this point, if it's not an August/September release, it should be an early 2017 release, so it's not overshadowed by the powerhouse game releases for Christmas.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

At what point was it ever officially stated that they were going to show NX at E3 2015? Nintendo said publicly that they had no plans to discuss the NX during E3. And the NX will be out net March, before E3 2017 even happens.

And why do people expect Square Enix to say anything about any games that are on a Nintendo system? I remember that at last year's E3 too. Everyone was hoping Square Enix would announce VII during their presentation, which followed immediately after Nintendo's. Why would SE announce a game on a Nintendo handheld when Nintendo doesn't, especially when they weren't publishing it? Square Enix would never talk about a game they weren't publishing. I don't think the American branch even touched Dragon Quest VII, right?

• Upvote 1

Erm, Iggy, why did you quote my conversation with Platty on DQIV to make your point? Not sure what DQIV and its party chat has to do with what you are saying.

Erm, Iggy, why did you quote my conversation with Platty on DQIV to make your point? Not sure what DQIV and its party chat has to do with what you are saying.

He was disagreeing with my $#!& you interpretation. Read the final line of the whole quote and his first line.

Gah I am doing a horrible job reading posts today.

Gah I am doing a horrible job reading posts today.

Blame it on the sun...

No seriously.  The more data that's being collected, the more science is starting to come out with the level of affect the solar body has on the Earth.  Recently it's been waking up.  90% of the reason for the really high temperatures is due specifically to the shifting poles (they're actually moving together, both North and South, headed towards the Baltic Sea).  The pole shifting itself is believed to be the reason why our Magnetosphere is about 1/3rd power compare to the 1850's, when we could first begin to recognize its existence, then record it's magnitude.  That shield is about 99% of what blocks out solar and galactic radiation.  So while the Sun has been in a solar minimum, and outputting about 1/10,000 the amount of power it was just 10 years ago, we've seen power outages, blowouts, transformer fails, satellite fails, and incredibly high heat indexes, not to mention a more white sun (because of the amount of particulates passing through our atmosphere for the most part, though there are other reasons why the sun is now a bright white ball, rather than a cooler yellow/orange colour as it was a mere 5 years ago), oh, and how 80 degrees now feels like 100.

Really has a lot of scientists worried, and if you follow geo-engineering at all, most of the conferences address this as the main reason for aerosol spraying.  The upper Troposphere and Stratosphere actually builds up moisture and holds a lot of water in the atmosphere.  Now, that's a partial natural block for extra solar particles, but given the lack of sunspot activity during this current solar minimum, we have slightly less cloud production naturally, so to bolster this, a lot of aerosols are sprayed to gather that water vapour trapped miles up in the air.  Then there's spraying done just shy of the ozone, with aluminum and barium particulates.  Some of it gets into the cloud vapour, and is one reason why so many areas in the US are testing absurdly high for aluminum and barium, but it acts as a shield of sorts, not necessarily for sunlight, but for radiation particulates that are carried with the photon particles.  Especially proton ejections.

Essentially the sun and any galactic radiation coming from quasars...from forming or dying nebulas, from super novas, from red giants, from blue giants and dwarfs...are getting through our atmosphere in greater amounts...so feel free to blame some of your attentiveness to that intense radiation.

Note that nutrinos and photons WILL pass through inanimate objects, and without certain types of shielding in your walls and ceiling, which virtually no house has, will still hit you whether you're inside or outside.

Anyway, I thought that might help.

Oh right...main reason for lack of media exposure, or pushing the talking points either to make fun of people (haha, chemtrail conspiracy theorist...OR...AWG mitigation, otherwise known as blocking out heat rays from the sun to mitigate global warming), is due to fears of public panic.  It's discussed at length at every single geoengineering conference.  It's a valid fear, but based on a lot of false assumptions, such as the whole "war of the worlds" broadcast, in which papers sensationalized the reactions of only a bare minimum number of people.  The idea is that because so many actually DID believe it was true, and there were some people who did go out in the streets, what if it were real, and happening in every town, and people were experiencing it not just on the radio?  That's the mindset and assumed position of the US government.  Similarly with the Soviets, Chinese...Brits, etc.  Considering that there's no way to know when the pole shifting will end, and when the magnetosphere will be restored, as it's increasingly reduced, every year, at alarming rates, and the AMOUNT of bombardment of just galactic radiation, combined with the fact that the sun will completely awaken again, and soon, as the solar minimum is supposed to come to a close anywhere from 2015 to 2018, and we're in 2016 now, meaning CME's of 10,000x the strength we're seeing now, and the size.

Basically the story would be released to the public enmasse only when the magnetosphere is restoring in intensity, because at that point they can frame it as new science, and oh, luckily we're seeing our shielding returned, so no worries folks...that sort of deal.

Anyway, thought that might interest you.

• Upvote 1