Sign in to follow this  
Chronosaurus

Does Dragon Quest Monster Joker 3 ruin dragon quest?

I saw alot of comments on kotaku saying that DQMJ3 ruins the Dragon Quest series because Dragon quest is supposed to be a ''medieval'' type game and not a Futuristic type of game 

so people disliked it because they want the old stuff back

i do get why they don't like change but having the same thing again would be kinda boring

i myself find this extremely stupid but what do you think about 

Edited by Chronosaurus

No? The Joker games have always been more futuristic. Why would a spin-off ruin a series of 30 years?

• Upvote 2

No? The Joker games have always been more futuristic. Why would a spin-off ruin a series of 30 years?

This. If people can't realize this game is a spin-off and would not affect the main setting/style of the main series DQ games, then they aren't too bright.

Plus, you know, Kotaku. The place is a joke.

• Upvote 2

This. If people can't realize this game is a spin-off and would not affect the main setting/style of the main series DQ games, then they aren't too bright.

Plus, you know, Kotaku. The place is a joke.

That's 100% true

I'm unable to comment on that. It's not coming. I'll never play it. Squeenix has ruined the monsters series for me by not giving me the past few.

If one bad game ruined a series, we wouldn't have Mario games since he went missing. Granted, it seems a lot of people are disappointed with J3, but I doubt it'll last too long.

Only thing that disappoints me about J3 are the large amount of re-colors.

Have they said why they did this and didn't just reuse Monsters 2's monster catalog + the new monsters added to J3?

People on the internet complain about everything.

The whole futuristic thing is silly to complain about because it's not like Joker 1 and 2 were 100% medieval either.

A valid complaint might be the many recolored monsters.

I'm unable to comment on that. It's not coming. I'll never play it. Squeenix has ruined the monsters series for me by not giving me the past few.

Maybe we'll get Joker 3 once Japan gets Joker 3 pro! it's not coming

Edited by DarkBaramos

I kinda like how the Joker games take the setting in a different direction. It was weird to see at first in Joker 1, but I came to like it for something new.

• Upvote 1

I kinda like how the Joker games take the setting in a different direction. It was weird to see at first in Joker 1, but I came to like it for something new.

That's why I love the spinoffs. 

It allows them to deviate from the norm a bit,

Exactly.

That's why I thought Joker 2 had a great setting: while primarily on the island/lost continent, you had a mix of old and new technology mixed with the lost cultures in both versions of Joker 2.

on kotaku

There's your answer.

• Upvote 2

I really liked the settings of Joker 2, and from what I see, the landscapes of 3 are nice too. I like the riding and platforming, Makes the world seem more alive. I'm fine with having the weird mechanical monster, and the Reactor thingamabob. I'm not okay with that elephant in the room though.

• Upvote 1

To be honest the only thing i dislike about the game is the character design

he just looks like an older version of the first guy and he looks so 

i don't know boring i guess

To be honest. I thought they'd play with his appearance a bit. Looking like the first guy and all. If they didn't it's a missed opportunity.

• Upvote 1

The bestiary is the worst thing in the game, and not only for the recolors. Some classic monsters are not in the game in favor of a ton of DQ10 monsters.

The character designs are not that bad, i kinda like them now.  And the futuristic settings... well, its a spinoff, better here than in a main series. The mechanics are great though, they are more versatile than ever.

And no, even if its a bit bad, it doesn't ruin DQ (maybe DQM's reputation).

Edited by Awesomeinblue
  • Upvote 1

Personally, I dislike the futuristic setting. I wouldn't boycott the game because of it, but it isn't helping my perception of the Joker 3. It seems all sorts of games nowadays are going the future route. I noticed most modern FPS games are doing it, and even Pokemon started to do it (mostly in Black/White though they toned it back in X/Y). Final Fantasy had been doing the futuristic thing for a while, though recent additions have been barely medieval at all.

I think the futuristic setting doesn't fit the Dragon Quest series either. The majority of Dragon Quest games are in a medieval setting, and battling monsters in a future setting seems so out of place. Why not just battle robots, then? It also takes away from the sense of "this place is old and decrepit and full of secrets and stuff to explore".

Square Enix/Armor Project/Bird Studios just suck. They really $#!&ing suck. They kept Caravan Heart from us (as stupid as that game was - screw the rations and weight limit), threw out a lackluster and plain Joker 1, tried to fix it with Joker 2 but only ended up butchering it in different ways (like with the monster size limits) AND they released the base version of Joker 2 when it was well within their power and time frame to give us the improved Professional edition, and once they decided to redo my two favorite videogames of all time and put them on the 3DS? They don't release it in the states.

Are there any means of contacting them? Emails, social media, etc? They need a piece of my mind. Right now.

Edited by Jimmu_Dudeski

I remember a Nintendo rep at that year's E3 saying that they chose not to localize Professional because it was designed for more "hard core" players. Uh...huh.

• Upvote 1

That's why I love the spinoffs.

It allows them to deviate from the norm a bit,

Exactly. I haven't met a DQ spinoff I haven't enjoyed. Maybe I wished for a tad different or whatnot, but 2-3 hours in it becomes the norm. I enjoy the Joker games for what they are.

I remember a Nintendo rep at that year's E3 saying that they chose not to localize Professional because it was designed for more "hard core" players. Uh...huh.

Then that makes them double stupid, now for making an expanded version with tons of extra content, but made it ONLY for hardcore players. That's just an awful business decision.

• Upvote 1

And playing it, it was no harder than DQMJ2

They know they flubbed up

There is nothing hardcore about DQMJ2 pro. It's the equivalent of pokemon's "third version" if it had more pokemon, more moves, and better balance. They were either lazy or wanted to cash in twice by releasing the pro version after joker 2's success.

There is nothing hardcore about DQMJ2 pro. It's the equivalent of pokemon's "third version" if it had more pokemon, more moves, and better balance. They were either lazy or wanted to cash in twice by releasing the pro version after joker 2's success.

Japan just does that. They do it with Pokemon, they do it with Monster Hunter, they do it with everything. I don't understand why Japs like to pay for so many "1.5 versions", but I guess its just their consumer culture. Though here in the West we do $#!& out Madden and Calla Doody quite a bit, and people still eat it up...

Well we do pretty much the same thing with GOTY/complete editions. We're just given the option of buying all the new content as DLC first.

Well we do pretty much the same thing with GOTY/complete editions. We're just given the option of buying all the new content as DLC first.

Why can't Nintendo/Capcom/SquareEnix just get with the times and do DLC? :/