Sign in to follow this  
jamiras843

Opensource Release!

Good news everyone! The opensource is complete! I know I originally had some grand plans for the project but it was far too time consuming and was taken me away from other things... Here is what is included though.

* Lots of DW1&2 GBC tiles (it's not as complete as I thought, but there's enough to make a decent game!)

* Most sprites from DW1&2 (forgot the heroes! Will update here)

* Lots of scripts for making VX Ace similar to DW/DQ (bumping noise, custom poison, dark caves etc). 

* Scripts are easily modifiable and non-coder friendly

* Pre-made tilesets

* Many DW/DQ sound effects

* Custom font that includes weapon and armor symbols (listed in the source so you can use the images correctly)

Seriously guys, the project is pretty n00b friendly. You can open the project, delete all maps and start a game instantly, though I would suggest looking at the events and maps in general to see how it all works. Most scripts, if not used can be tossed out, such as the dark cave and what not. 

I started a new topic because I figured that any questions could be brought up here.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c9ddq4q0vdqzk26/Opensource.exe

Here is the opensource game!

For those who just want a DW clone to play, with very little effort put in so there are some issues, like some bookcases or dressers have no items... Oh and repellents and Repel have no use due to me not finding a friendly way to implement it, here is the game for playing.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mpt0poo19or2y85/Tower_of_the_Damned_GBC.exe

Hopefully this project will pull more interest towards the fangaming community.

FAQ:

Q: Tile layout is confusing, help!

A: Small guide.

tile%20example_zpswdrqbdld.png

1: Stand-alone brick, not attached to any walls.

2: Similar to 8, but wall can go 4 directions (up being new).

3: Top of  vertical wall

4: Bottom of a vertical wall

5-7: For walls that can be 2 tiles high, like castles. 5 is the left most edge, 6 has no edge, and 7 has the right edge.

8: Bisecting wall section

9: Roof tile you can walk under

10: Roof tile that signifies a door

11,12: Edges of the half roof tiles, left and right respectively. Between them is the half tile with no edge  :)

Example:

Map_zpsdcrd3gyd.png

cave%20exaple_zpsysebfhwk.png

1: Stand alone block

2: 3 way junction (left,right,up)

3: 3 way junction (up, down, right)

4: 3 way junction (up, down, left)

5: 4 way junction and end blocks

6: LOL I skipped six....

7: 3 way junction (left, right, down)

8: Instead of doing the brown/black background, or just single style walls you can use this as the entire cave background. 

9: water edge for water tiles. I planned on making a custom lava tile, but went with the default which is why there a 2 rows of the same thing.

example:

Map_zpsu80z5u22.png[/

Edited by jamiras843
  • Upvote 2

Awesome! This will be very useful.

I hit a slump ripping tilesets when it came to getting the ocean effects to work. Guess I don't need to worry about that now eh?  :P

Very nice.  Thanks Jamiras.  I'm actually tempted to toy around with this.

Thanks for sharing your work!  I'm having fun playing through the story and looking through the tilesets.

Very awesome! Well done!

Hopefully now the fan game community will explode(t)!

This definitely makes it easier for fans to make DQ styled games. Good work! I might see about using this once I finish my other project. Really looking forward to this.

Edit: Just started playing, I'm getting amazing vibes from your DQ clone. If you've ever played Gaudia Quest on Retro Game Challenge for DS, this reminds me of it a lot but strangely enough, it's better! You really nailed the feeling of the GBC Dragon Quest games. Really pleased with the results. Thank you.

Edited by Ljink

Nice work! I'll have to download it and give it a try soon. :)

Just wondering if anyone has finished and/or started playing with the open source?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't played around with the tiles yet, but I've been checking out all the scripts.

I'm trying to put together a little concept for something fun. Not entirely sure if it'll work though.

I've been trying to piece together a castle and a cave but I haven't quite figured out which tiles connect to where.  Just some trial and error I guess.  If you have any notes on proper placement that would help.  I'm currently going through the process myself with my own tilesets to try and organize them all.

Did you write th game music yourself?  I like the soundtrack. 

What I would like is the menu script you have to be converted to rpgmaker MV.  I've switched most of my old stuff to the new platform. 

The tile layouts are pretty simple once you get the hang of it. The way the walls are set up are pretty much how they are used. There are many tiles that are repeated in the wall tile sets, but that is so you can see how they are pieced together. Caves are set up in a similar fashion but are 2X2. Here is a small guide and some examples of the tiles and how they are used. Oh the music is all RPG maker music! Mainly from XP, 2003, and 2000.

tile%20example_zpswdrqbdld.png

1: Stand-alone brick, not attached to any walls.

2: Similar to 8, but wall can go 4 directions (up being new).

3: Top of  vertical wall

4: Bottom of a vertical wall

5-7: For walls that can be 2 tiles high, like castles. 5 is the left most edge, 6 has no edge, and 7 has the right edge.

8: Bisecting wall section

9: Roof tile you can walk under

10: Roof tile that signifies a door

11,12: Edges of the half roof tiles, left and right respectively. Between them is the half tile with no edge :)

Example:

Map_zpsdcrd3gyd.png

cave%20exaple_zpsysebfhwk.png

1: Stand alone block

2: 3 way junction (left,right,up)

3: 3 way junction (up, down, right)

4: 3 way junction (up, down, left)

5: 4 way junction and end blocks

6: LOL I skipped six....

7: 3 way junction (left, right, down)

8: Instead of doing the brown/black background, or just single style walls you can use this as the entire cave background. 

9: water edge for water tiles. I planned on making a custom lava tile, but went with the default which is why there a 2 rows of the same thing.

example:

Map_zpsu80z5u22.png

As for porting things to MV... I don't know anything about MV! Sorry! I will not probably use MV until I decide to make my own commercial style game. Well I hope this clarifies things since all walls and caves and dungeons have the same basic layout!

Thanks for the explanation! I'm adding some tiles so I can make a castle wall that might be 2wide. (The lighter colored bricks.).

I would show you a picture but I haven't figured out how to upload any here

Example: Lorasia castle gb version in the town maps under the stairs marked "b"

I noticed that type of tile use after making the set so I had no room without altering the entire set and lay out. I just figured it was small enough a issue that could be overcome by using the ceiling tiles and sectional maps haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been lurking this thread and saw it released (although not as in depth as first though, still pretty amazing!)... so after years of toying with RM98, RM2K... finally bought Ace and started to check this out again!

@Ponarust - have you modified your tileset?

Has anyone done a DQ V SFC tileset rip? I've seen DQ1-11R SFC (which are similar), but not V. 

Ace is the one for DQ IMO. I selectively ripped DQ5 tiles, mainly walk decor and select tiles though. Didn't take very long.

This is great!  Congratulations and thank you, Jamiras! 

Yeah I released it early ue to me going back to school and not having the free time I once had. I am still going to make a NES styled one as well soon and if demand is high a SNES one.

UPDATE: By next week I will fix the gamebreaking bug of dying on a ship.  Apparently I did not fix that.

Jamiras cast Kazing!

Topic returned to life!

On a serious not playing with the open source lead me to see a lot of errors and things I missed out with. There will be an small update with some additional features prior to the NES style launch. After that there will be some major additions to both so stay tuned.

I've since added a couple of things that add on to the DQ feel.

-Warp Spell animations (one for success and failure) (This required a script due to the RPG VX Ace not having a simple freeze camera event)

-SFont graphics for a more crisp text. (I saw that the opensources font was kinda small so I made this change)

-A Chapel that can target individual members by showing a list. Also saving at a chapel

-I haven't added to my fangame, but Inns that charge a rate based on how many party members. (simple)

-A trap door effect (I know how to make the animation a little better also)

-A day and night stepping system (Unless you want it more like DQ 1 & 2)

I've figured out trivial effects like enemies summoning healers based on their position in battle. I've also figured out chance spells/callhelp ability with a fail rate. I'm going to work on a few special enemies that swarm continously(keeps calling reinforcements) and a slime combine into King slime effect with animations. (these can all be done but require precise eventing)

I'd be willing to work on this with you since I planned on releasing an opensource using many of the things I found in yours. (wasn't sure if you planned on working on it again)

Edited by slimeborgi

Honestly I was surprised that I didn't include a day night script. I made one for a game and it's very similar to the poison/ curse script or the radiant scripts. I am very interested in your additions, I personally thought that eventing a church was easy, but for the sake of simplicity for an open source game I thought it best for the KISS method (keep it simple stupid).

Ok I'll make short game demo with these features for you to check out. Should get it to you by the end of next week! I'm busy polishing my demo this week sorry.

It'll have the scripts, comments, and readme's on how to get things to function.