DQ6 Motivation Playthrough

Oh you need to go back to the Real World then if you're already past that point. The town I'm talking about is due west from Arkbolt by boat. Should be easy to reach if you follow the coast line. You should be able to reach it from Ghent as well if you follow the coast eastward. Not sure which way is faster.

It's good to get Amos quickly so he doesn't fall behind in levels (both in actual level and in job level). He's another strong physical fighter until you get Goowain and/or Terry, but Terry won't be around for a loooong time, like nearly the end of the game long.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I defeated Murdaw in his underkeep, but it ended up being Somnus. Got the Hero and Carver up to level 17, Milly's at 15 and Ashlynn is sitting at level 11 now. The fight wasn't too hard except when

You got this Bururian!

Wait, when did I say I didn't like DQ6? I've always liked 6, I'm just not a fan of hunting down the legendary equipment. Or rather, finding certain pieces because I can never remember where all of the

I apologize if it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what to do, but having Amos can be a big help.

It's fine. He actually is pretty helpful. He hits really hard for being nearly 10 levels below my Hero and Carver. Now I'm back to wandering as I try to figure out what to do next.

Well, actually, I went to All Trade Abbey, so I'll spend the rest of the night trying to decide how I want to build my party.

I apologize if it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what to do, but having Amos can be a big help.

I wish someone told me that on my playthrough. I screwed that sidequest up and was so confused when it was over. I wish there was at least SOME reward if you tell amos about his problem, even if it's just some random item or something, just so the sidequest has some kind of closure.

The people in the village do tell you not to tell him about it.

Missing out on Amos means you're next possible party member - Goowain - won't be for awhile, and if you don't go after any of the 10 optional characters your final mandatory member - Terry - isn't until the final hours of the main game.

Anyway Buru, glad you're liking him. Amos is one of the best physical attackers in the game, though he is limited in what accessories he can equip. He has the lowest pool of accessory options outside a few of the Slimes. Equipment wise though he fairs much better, and makes for a good Merchant/Monster Tamer recruit after you finish off the physical classes.

Oh, something else about the Slimes: you'll only be able to recruit 5 of the 8 before post game unless you have a means to max the Dream Suite/Tag House down the line.

They do tell you not to tell him, but to be fair there are other points in the game where NPCs tell you not to do something when it's exactly what you're supposed to do.

It's the one time you don't follow the age old rule of RPGs

Yeah, during my playthrough (which I need to get back to! Took a break shortly after where you are now, I believe), I assumed that everyone telling me not to tell him meant I should. When he didn't join me at the end of the quest, I reset and tried again. I honestly don't find him to be amazing, but it felt wrong to leave a recruitable member behind. :P

Even if Amos isn't your favorite, his party chat is hilarious. He's got some great lines when you reach certain towns.

Ah, I haven't really been checking them for Amos; except in V, where I cycled Bianca into my party to see her comments in dungeons, and then cycled her out for my main party, I usually just check the Party Chat for my main party. :P

Edited by gooieooie

I didn't even know that the quest was over when I finished it. Though that's probably because I accidentally skipped the NPC that tells you about the dungon with the seeds of reason, and just did the dungeon just because it was there. When I got them I had no idea what the seeds were even for. All I knew is that Amos disapeared when I got them so I assumed he just moved somewhere.

HAHA NOOOOOOOOOOO.

At least you'll know for your next playthrough, Slime. Amos is a really useful engine- er, party member, if you're looking for another physical fighter.

And gooie, Amos has some good lines. One of my favorites is when you reach the coast side town where you have to follow the man with a limp. Absolutely loved his line when you first enter the town.

I'm one of the players who uses Torneko and Sancho whenever I replay the Zenithia trilogy, and Amos is VI's version of that. Funny dialogue, useful in battle in their own way, and a constant member in my party.

Only thing about Amos I don't like is his poor hit rate with Gigaslash. Every time I go up against Nolturnus for fun and use nothing but Gigaslash, he's the only member who hits 50% of the time, maybe even less. Could just be my luck.

Buurian

Remember, Mortamor does not simply want to "plunge the world in darkness" he literatelly wants to fuse the universes with his, do you want your dreams and normal life to be tortured and toyed with by a mad god for all eternity? That is what you get if you do not beat him!

Nooo! I must beat him then!

I have to say that I'm kinda enjoying the randomly wandering about as I find my next objective. I've been finding interesting stuff and It makes it all feel super fresh to me.

The exploration is nice, that's for sure. Only part that can be a little annoying is when you need to hunt down the legendary equipment later. That's the only part of the game I don't care for and drags on.

The exploration is nice, that's for sure. Only part it can be a little annoying is when you need to hunt down the legendary equipment later. That's the only part of the game I don't care for and drags on.

So now you like the part you disliked the most?

Interesting.  Maybe you're coming around to finding DQ6 one of the more enjoyable DQ's?

Wait, when did I say I didn't like DQ6? I've always liked 6, I'm just not a fan of hunting down the legendary equipment. Or rather, finding certain pieces because I can never remember where all of them are on my own.

For me it's the same case with Link to the Past; once I get to the 5th dungeon in the Dark World, I can never seem to find the item necessary to complete the dungeon, and wander aimlessly trying to find it. I'm stubborn and don't like to use a guide unless I absolutely need it, but even then I feel like I'm cheating by doing so.

Anyway, I'd probably tie 6 alongside 4 on my favorite DQ games list. And all this talk of DQ6 makes me want to do a Yangus's Thoughts on it like I originally planned.

• Upvote 1

Wait, when did I say I didn't like DQ6? I've always liked 6, I'm just not a fan of hunting down the legendary equipment. Or rather, finding certain pieces because I can never remember where all of them are on my own.

I'd probably tie 6 alongside 4 on my favorite DQ games list.

I could have sworn you, eal, and platty were all three very much against playing through DQ6?  Sorry about the confusion Yangus.  I don't know, maybe I was in some other reality or something.

I set some classes to my current party. The witch in the Abbey said that easy monsters don't count for the experience. How am I supposed to know what the game considers easy and not easy?

I only have three real issues with the game, but overall I really liked it and am glad I played through it.

1. Finding the legendary equipment feels like a chore (like Yangus mentioned)

2. It's really easy to accidentally skip important information. I found myself in several situations where my party members would reference conversations with other NPCs that never happened causing a lot of confusion.

3. Most of the Human characters are terrible in combat. The only two I found myself using seriously were Milly and Hero, so It becomes a trade-off between having a good party and being able to enjoy the party chat.

I'd probably tie 6 alongside 4 on my favorite DQ games list.

I could have sworn you, eal, and platty were all three very much against playing through DQ6? Sorry about the confusion Yangus. I don't know, maybe I was in some other reality or something.

Ha, no worries. Platty is against it, not sure about eal. I've probably dogged on the game in the past around here, but I can't think of an instance where I was anti-DQ6.

I set some classes to my current party. The witch in the Abbey said that easy monsters don't count for the experience. How am I supposed to know what the game considers easy and not easy?

It's based on that character's level. Each area has a maximum level above which you will no longer progress on your job. The only way to know that maximum level is to look it up as far as I know.

Edited by SlimeVagrant

I set some classes to my current party. The witch in the Abbey said that easy monsters don't count for the experience. How am I supposed to know what the game considers easy and not easy

It's all area level dependent.  Not monster specific.

I know you don't like using my help, but just read this:

mech.007

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/942424-dragon-quest-vi-realms-of-revelation/faqs/61854

It's based on that character's level. Each area has a maximum level above which you will no longer progress on your job. The only way to know that maximum level is to look it up as far as I know.

I see! I saw some charts for Level caps in areas when I was looking on the games tab on the regular part of the site here, but I had no idea what that meant at the time. 

I set some classes to my current party. The witch in the Abbey said that easy monsters don't count for the experience. How am I supposed to know what the game considers easy and not easy

It's all area level dependent.  Not monster specific.

I know you don't like using my help, but just read this:

mech.007

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/942424-dragon-quest-vi-realms-of-revelation/faqs/61854

Don't like using your help? :P

I used your strategy to defeat Murdaw yesterday, haha.

Just seems like you're reluctant to do so, like you're forced to, lol.