DQ6 Motivation Playthrough

I've been trying to play through DQ6 for probably the last few years, I've made several attempts, but I always drop the game by the time I get to real world Somnia for the first time, so I'm making this topic so I can just talk about what I'm doing in the game in hopes that it'll keep me from doing my normal thing of just shifting through games. I started a few days ago and I'm back up to where I usually leave off, I've recovered Ra's Mirror and I'm supposed to be heading to Murdaw's Keep now with the Queen that was King in the dream world.

Feel free to comment or point out how badly I am playing the game. My Hero/Carver are Lv14 right now with Milly at 12, and I'm working on leveling up Ashlynn a bit since she's only level 4. I currently have no idea what is ahead of me, or where to go currently as no NPC has pointed me in the direction I should be going. The NPCs kinda give weird directions to places in this game. I have the ability now to switch between Dream World/Real World, so now I'll probably grind a bit today before I move forward with the plot some more.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I defeated Murdaw in his underkeep, but it ended up being Somnus. Got the Hero and Carver up to level 17, Milly's at 15 and Ashlynn is sitting at level 11 now. The fight wasn't too hard except when

You got this Bururian!

Wait, when did I say I didn't like DQ6? I've always liked 6, I'm just not a fan of hunting down the legendary equipment. Or rather, finding certain pieces because I can never remember where all of the

Here. Hopefully this song will give you the motivation to get through the game. Good luck.

Start with this song first:

Crack your hands a bit...start dancing like a boxer, then pop on this:

Finally...sit down, rock back and forth, clench those fists, and listen to this last tune:

You are now pumped and ready to rumble.  Soak in the glory of what you are about to accomplish...bask in the mental fortitude to carry this game through to the end.  YOU CAN DO THIS!

If you're still not feeling it...time for some Jan Hammer

So I defeated Murdaw in his underkeep, but it ended up being Somnus. Got the Hero and Carver up to level 17, Milly's at 15 and Ashlynn is sitting at level 11 now. The fight wasn't too hard except when Murdaw's group attack was hitting pretty hard. 

The puns. I'm starting to see a plethora in the game now. Queen Apnea, who was having trouble sleeping because she wanted the mirror. Somnus, of Somnia. He lives IN SOMNIA. The game revolves around the real world and the dream world. I love it.

• Upvote 1

Oh you just wait for the second Muduo fight. You're gonna LOOOOOOOOOOOVE it.

Fantastic.  I wonder how you'll feel about the short period after Murdaw when you're left wondering where to go next (it's not too hard to figure out).  Some people get stuck and feel totally unnerved by the lack of clarity.

Any ideas on class picks?

Jealousy is unbecoming.

I haven't even though about classes yet. All Trades Abbey is in ruins, but I guess I'll get access to the real one soon. I'm not sure what classes are available. The back of the box says I can do something with the DQMJ games, but I haven't really looked into that either. 

Well you know what iggy...

(I couldn't resist posting the "Mine was better" video. I had the opportunity to use that clip, and I had to take it)

I haven't even though about classes yet. All Trades Abbey is in ruins, but I guess I'll get access to the real one soon. I'm not sure what classes are available. The back of the box says I can do something with the DQMJ games, but I haven't really looked into that either.

I usually start out with:

Protagonist - Warrior or Matrial Artist/Fighter

Carver - Same as protagonist, usually the opposite of what I assign to protagonist.

Milly - Mage

Nevan- Cleric

Ashlynn - Gadabout, so to get her ready for the Style Contest later on

I can see why you would need one of these. Dragon Quest VI really felt like a chore to get through for me, or most of it did anyway. But when I was done, I was glad I played through it.

I can see why you would need one of these. Dragon Quest VI really felt like a chore to get through for me, or most of it did anyway. But when I was done, I was glad I played through it.

I just have a super bad habit of starting games and not finishing them, and I'd like to get DQ6 done before 7 & 8 are out later this year. 6 & 7 are the two DQ games I never got through. despite owning both in some capacity. I'm moving here soon and my budget will shrink for a while so I gotta tackle these games I already own so I don't just buy more without finishing others first :P

You can't discourage me that easily!

I got to the second Murdaw fight after carver awoke, and I got through the first round. He stomped me on the second round. He did so much damage I thought I was supposed to lose, but nope! Now I'm grinding a bit more so I can get through his second battle.

From personal experience, I've never had to grind for that fight. Hero and Carver attack, Milly does whatever, and Nevan constantly heals with the staff of Ghent. It's still a tough fight, but grinding needed to stand a chance? Nope.

Good luck on your rematch.

Murdaw did his party lightning attack three times in a row. I couldn't recover from it. It did nearly half my total HP on most of the characters each hit. The RNG was not with me.

RNGesus was not with you is right. As bad as the end result was, that's pretty lucky he did the lighting attack three times in a row. So at least you can say you've seen that happen. :P

It's like they say: Muduo is murdaw to fight.

Or at least I say that cause I still call him Muduo. He and Deathmore will always have those names in my book regardless of translation.

The RNG is Malicious today. My party is a 22/22/19/16. Murdaw Did Chilly Breath/Lightning All each turn for two turns in a row. I can't recover from that. He beat me again. This is frustrating.

Pray to RNGesus with all your might.

That's the worst luck I've heard of when fighting Muduo round 2. Have you been using Carver's Flying Knee or the move that doubles his strength for that turn? I know they put him in a vulnerable state due to decreasing his defense, but I've had luck with them.

I tried Flying Knee the first time but I got unlucky and Murdaw attacked Carver right after that and killed him off, then followed up with a Chilly breath that killed Nevan so I couldn't Zing. I've heard the AI in DQ6 is a lot smarter than other games so I'll chalk it up to this. I'll try again in a bit, since You have to go through both rounds again.

Yeah I had so much trouble with Murdaw's 2nd form too. I actually lost so many times that I ran out of gold to revive my party members with. It was sad....

Have you tried putting Carver at the end of the party to draw (single hitting) attacks away from him?

Honestly I don't know what else to tell you. Every time I've played VI I've gotten past Muduo first try.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit