Shin Megami Tensei Discussion Thread

I would say another reason Persona is more popular and mainstream than SMT is how much more relatable and down to Earth they are. I could be off-base on this since I’ve only ever played a bit of SMT IV, but when I look at that series, I see post-apocalypses full of ruined cities and demons. Persona still has fantastical settings for the RPG combat and repackaged the demons as “Shadows” and “Personas,” but it balances out this portion of the gameplay with an everyday life system where you talk to people you encounter, develop bonds, and go to the beach or restaurants or a summer festival or whatever after defeating a boss. The characters deal with issues that the average person deals with, as compared to the lofty and world ending problems you see in SMT.

This is the perspective of an outsider who sees SMT through its marketing and trailers and reviews.

• Like 1

Uh, guys, I really don't want to sound like a condescending jerk, but this isn't exactly a new observation. This discussion has been had for years and years and tons of memes have been made about this topic.

We’re not in that fandom so this isn’t a conversation we normally have so now we’re having it.

• Like 2

Yeah, it’s not something we usually discuss here. I mean, I really liked Persona 3 a lot because of how it handled its characters but still offered the strange and surreal elements of other SMT games. Ones like 4 and 5 I’m a lot more “meh,” towards, but there were still characters I liked like Kanji in 4 and Sojiro in 5. A lot of the party members I couldn’t stand after awhile and I honestly wasn’t a fan of scenes that didn’t have much to do with the plot, but you aren’t going to like everything.

I don’t really have a solid answer why I prefer other SMT stuff, but if I had to say a reason it would probably be that it focuses on the journey of the protagonist across a destroyed Tokyo, a mysterious city being heavily affected by technology like in Soul Hackers, or the varied environments that reflect humanity in Strange Journey. Teaming up with various gods, demons, creatures of folklore and so forth is a great concept, and the dungeon and battle gameplay is very satisfying. Even in the later Persona games, I still really enjoyed the battle and dungeon gameplay a lot. That’s something the teams behind the various series and entries have been good at.

Anyway, to each their own. You’re bound to find something you really enjoy from one of the branches of the MegaTen tree.

• Like 1

Anyway, to each their own. You’re bound to find something you really enjoy from one of the branches of the MegaTen tree.

It's why they keep branching. They're bound to catch everyone's eye with something at some point. Hell, look at the genres DQ has expanded into.

Oooo, they’ve changed the design of the Angel. Normally it’s the blindfolded woman design. Wonder if the other Angel ranks like Throne will have new designs.

(Also, thanks to folks over on YouTube we’ll be seeing videos that feature English subs for what is said in each demon showcase.)

18 hours ago, eal said:

We’re not in that fandom so this isn’t a conversation we normally have so now we’re having it.

Yup,And its especially beneficial for newcomers me who are new to the series as a whole, like me.

• Like 1

Uh, guys, I really don't want to sound like a condescending jerk, but this isn't exactly a new observation. This discussion has been had for years and years and tons of memes have been made about this topic.

As@eal said, other than Yangus, I don't think any of us here have ever seriously looked into SMT much. Sure, played a few games, but I haven't communicated with anyone in the fandom. Sounds like from what you're saying, I never should.

12 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

As@eal said, other than Yangus, I don't think any of us here have ever seriously looked into SMT much. Sure, played a few games, but I haven't communicated with anyone in the fandom. Sounds like from what you're saying, I never should. emoji106.png

Honestly you’re better off. There are fans like us DQ folks I’ve interacted with who are pretty down to earth and just enjoy talking about the series and different elements/characters, but then there are some people who are extreme one way or the other.

I know I get annoyed with a lack of other SMT stuff and that I joke about Persona (pretty much in the exact same way I joke about DQ9), but I’ve got nothing against anyone who prefers that series. You like it, great, just don’t be a dick about it. It’s just not for me but there are things I enjoyed about them. I’ll just stick with the other stuff or talk with folks who like discussing the worlds/demons.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Honestly you’re better off. There are fans like us DQ folks I’ve interacted with who are pretty down to earth and just enjoy talking about the series and different elements/characters, but then there are some people who are extreme one way or the other.

I know I get annoyed with a lack of other SMT stuff and that I joke about Persona (pretty much in the exact same way I joke about DQ9), but I’ve got nothing against anyone who prefers that series. You like it, great, just don’t be a dick about it. It’s just not for me but there are things I enjoyed about them. I’ll just stick with the other stuff or talk with folks who like discussing the worlds/demons.

Another reason we all love the Den. We can tease and keep it lighthearted while being respectful. Sad that something so simple is lost to some people. 

Waiting for Best Buy to open up preorders so I can get the steel book one.

New demon videos - Daemon and Mermaid:

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 5:01 PM, cprmauldin said:

Another reason we all love the Den. We can tease and keep it lighthearted while being respectful. Sad that something so simple is lost to some people. 

Back when I was playing Nocturne in the PS2 days when it was new, most of the older SMT fans were pretty chill about stuff, but there was always a few that took it too far. Unless you were doing the most efficient route/demon fusing, you weren't playing it right.

That's why I appreciate you all here. Everyone is chill enough about stuff.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Daemon the Demon? I approve.

Haha, yep. Apparently it’s a name given to lower class demons, as well as being the collective name for demons in Christianity.

• Like 1

Haha, yep. Apparently it’s a name given to lower class demons, as well as being the collective name for demons in Christianity.
I kept trying to upload the cologne Brut, but stupid Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I kept trying to upload the cologne Brut, but stupid Tapatalk

Thanks Tapatalk!

I’ve seen daemon used in a few games. First one that comes to mind is The Lost Child game I bought earlier this year.

Thanks Tapatalk!
I’ve seen daemon used in a few games. First one that comes to mind is The Lost Child game I bought earlier this year.
Did you play that/get far into it?

It's been on my mini-map for a long time, but I've never navigated there.

51 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Haven’t played it yet, no. I want to, but at the time I grabbed it I think I was in the middle of Yakuza: Like a Dragon so I didn’t want to jump ship to a dungeon crawler haha. Definitely want to play it though.

• Like 1

Haven’t played it yet, no. I want to, but at the time I grabbed it I think I was in the middle of Yakuza: Like a Dragon so I didn’t want to jump ship to a dungeon crawler haha. Definitely want to play it though.
Pretty sure I have it on Vita.
One day.
One day.

4 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Is this The Lost a Child game dungeon crawler? I own it but I think I decided to sell my copy because it looked sorta mediocre. I remember a couple months ago hearing the English dub and trying to figure out if I could recognize a particular voice. I never did find the answer but one of the first places I looked was the credits on YouTube, and I could swear that the song they used was O Come All Ye Faithful.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, eal said:

Is this The Lost a Child game dungeon crawler? I own it but I think I decided to sell my copy because it looked sorta mediocre. I remember a couple months ago hearing the English dub and trying to figure out if I could recognize a particular voice. I never did find the answer but one of the first places I looked was the credits on YouTube, and I could swear that the song they used was O Come All Ye Faithful.

Yeah, you and I were trying to figure out who that voice actress was but we couldn’t find anything.

Metacritic has it sitting at a 62%.

Maybe not one day.
Maybe not one day.
  • Like 1

Got the Collector’s Edition of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster in the mail today. We didn’t get in here in the States, so I decided to import it. Ordered it last week and surprisingly it showed up already! Amazon claimed it wouldn’t arrive until July since it was coming from Japan, but, well, here we are! Haha

Haven’t opened it yet, but this is all included with the collector’s edition. I’m pretty sure you can play Japan PS4 games on a US PS4, so I may fire up the game tonight. Honestly I bought this for collecting purposes since we didn’t get it, and I’m happy I was able to get one.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Some new demon videos. This time it’s Mandrake, Arioch, and Kumbhanda.