Shin Megami Tensei Discussion Thread

anyone here getting those Game Gear Micros?

The yellow one has Last Bible 1 and Last Bible S

You can up your street cred and flex on SMT fans by playing Megami Tensei entries! Or suffer eye pain trying to look at those tiny screens

I have a preorder in for the set but I dunno. I do really wanna play those and the Shining Forces though.

14 hours ago, Fates said:

anyone here getting those Game Gear Micros?

The yellow one has Last Bible 1 and Last Bible S

You can up your street cred and flex on SMT fans by playing Megami Tensei entries! Or suffer eye pain trying to look at those tiny screens

I have a preorder in for the set but I dunno. I do really wanna play those and the Shining Forces though.

I would be all over them if it wasn't for the steep price tag.

• 3 weeks later...

New trailer for Nocturne HD. This one shows off a lot of the areas and NPCs and how they look with the HD treatment. Visually the game still holds up well on the PS2, but with the HD treatment Nocturne is looking fantastic. Kaneko’s artstyle looks excellent in HD.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Last smt game i played was devil survivor 2 record breaker its the most lighhearted smt game i've ever played and i love how dialogue choices actually matter unlike persona 5.

• 1 month later...

Will be cool to see what the figure looks like. The tattoo/demon markings on the Demi-Fiend would be difficult to replicate I’d imagine.

https://www.siliconera.com/smt-iii-nocturne-demi-fiend-figma-is-in-the-works/

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone played Raidou 1-2? 

I've been trying to play both of them last Sunday and was extremely bored. The dialogue, presentation and story were good but everything else very subpar. Gameplay is kind of nice... but extremely repetitive. Random encounters happen everywhere, even in the towns so if you're going to buy medicine or bullets, you can loose all your progress just because the fight started right next to the item seller. The fights themselves are okay but do get very repetitive as you encounter only a couple enemies for a long time.  The objectives are also very unclear and the navigation is confusing.

The second Raidou is a little better (no random encounters in town) but I actually liked the combat less. 

Do they get any better? I've spent three hours on both and can't say I enjoyed them apart from the presentation and dialogue. Music was good but it's one of the early Shoji Meguro games, so the tracks are very short, loopy and get pretty annoying. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Guess I get to revive this topic again, because guess what?! Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne HD will be releasing here in the west on May 25th! The game will have all the patches Japan has gotten, it will include English and Japanese voice acting, and it will be released on Switch, PS4, and Steam.

There will be a Digital Deluxe edition that will include all of the game’s DLC, including the Dante Maniax DLC. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like we’re getting the collector’s edition Japan got, but I’m excited this game will be out in the few months! Can’t wait to play Nocturne again!

https://www.siliconera.com/shin-megami-tensei-iii-nocturne-hd-remaster-release-date-is-may-25-2021/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Hey, a remake/port for $50. Sounds good! emoji106.pngemoji106.png

Basically 90% of the Switch catalogue lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Unless it's Nintendo, then it's $60 emoji1787.png

Most ports or HD remasters are usually $40, so even in this instance there’s a markup, just not as steep as Nintendo’s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Old news, just heard about. The original SMT got its Japanese GBA port and iOS translation married.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-shin-megami-tensei-eng-patch-gba.581948/f18a68c0dc0f97b2516959fed06ace65.jpg

I’m glad they were able to implement the iOS translation. Atlus shadow dropped that version on us years ago but they never updated it to be played on more modern phones.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Unless it's Nintendo, then it's $60 emoji1787.png

On top of it not being a real remaster and just a running emulator with an upscaler with texture replacements. And making it limited time to cause fear of missing out!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

On top of it not being a real remaster and just a running emulator with an upscaler with texture replacements. And making it limited time to cause fear of missing out!

But that’s just a theory. A GAME THEORY! (Gets shot)

New trailer that showcases more of the voice acting.

• 2 months later...

Finally seeing more of Shin Megami Tensei V yesterday made me happy. It was great to finally see some gameplay, and the game is looking wonderful. Glad it will be releasing this November. To celebrate, here’s the artwork they released to tie in with the game. Doi’s artstyle really fits with the series now that Kaneko isn’t behind the wheel anymore, and I’m looking to see what new demon designs the game will have.spacer.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Finally seeing more of Shin Megami Tensei V yesterday made me happy. It was great to finally see some gameplay, and the game is looking wonderful. Glad it will be releasing this November. To celebrate, here’s the artwork they released to tie in with the game. Doi’s artstyle really fits with the series now that Kaneko isn’t behind the wheel anymore, and I’m looking to see what new demon designs the game will have.spacer.png

Yes! I finally caught up on Nintendo Direct today and I was happy to see some SMT V in there. 

While I’m just dipping my toes into the series with SMT III Nocturne HD Remaster, I do think I’ll like it and hopefully become a true fan. In fact, after watching the footage, I went onto Amazon and ordered a copy of SMT IV, since I foresee a price hike as SMT V gets closer to release. I don’t know if I’ll be able to beat III and IV before the release of V, but either way I’m happy to have it in my collection until I can play it. 

I know it’s random (especially for me) but I love the music so far. It’s nice to be pulled away from traditional RPG music into something more fast-paced and modern. 

Anyway, thanks for posting this. I’m totally looking forward to seeing more as the release approaches. 

• Like 1

Atlus is doing a new mini series on YouTube focusing on demon designs/characteristics on YouTube. First up is Jack Frost. Really like that they gave him a Jack Frost version of the Bufu/Ice spells.

• Like 2

New demon trailer:

Copy pasting a translation comment below:

“Genma Amanozako (CV: Naomi Ohzora):

A Japanese goddess believed to be the origin of tengu and amanojaku. It is said that she was born when Susano-o vomited built-up ferocious spirit from his body.
When enraged, she can break any weapon, no matter how sharp, with her fangs.  

It appears her unique skill, "Heavenly Reversal," is a Dark-damage counter which lowers Attack.”

I already love the design for this demon. Very cool.

“Genma Fionn mac Cumhaill: A hero of Celtic myth. Leader of the Fianna. While training under a druid priest, he was ordered to cook the Salmon of Knowledge and gained wisdom after licking his thumb which was covered in the salmon's fat.

His unique skill is a physical attack called Mac an Luinn.”

• Like 1

I heard something very insightful yesterday on a podcast. Explains a bit of why Persona grows in popularity compared to SMT in general.

The characters.

While SMT are the better RPG games, they don't have as big a following outside hardcore RPG fans, while Persona is known elsewhere. People crave relatable and/or memorable characters and enjoy spending time with them. Kinda like how you ask DQ fans their favorite games and they bring up 4, 5, 8, and 11 more frequently. Those games have memorable times with great, memorable characters.

I'd never thought of it that way before, but it makes sense.