Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Shin Megami Tensei Discussion Thread

Mara's dialogue is pretty lewd in this one.

By far the oddest incarnation of Mara is in Strange Journey. For whatever reason, Mara is FEMALE in that game.

Oh really, I didn't know Poe took inspiration from Odin stories! Here I am a big fan of Poe's work and I didn't know that. Thanks for the info on that, The Raven is one of my favorite pieces.

So, here's the thing:  Huginn and Muginn are the direct inspiration for the "Nevermore" Raven, as the mourning lover in the poem tries to drown his "sorrow for the lost Lenore" in his collection of literature.  Thought and memory are the very things he's trying to banish, but the raven, representing both, as he does in Norse myth, will not be silent.

Oh really, I didn't know Poe took inspiration from Odin stories! Here I am a big fan of Poe's work and I didn't know that. Thanks for the info on that, The Raven is one of my favorite pieces.

So, here's the thing: Huginn and Muginn are the direct inspiration for the "Nevermore" Raven, as the mourning lover in the poem tries to drown his "sorrow for the lost Lenore" in his collection of literature. Thought and memory are the very things he's trying to banish, but the raven, representing both, as he does in Norse myth, will not be silent.

That's pretty awesome, thanks for the info on that, Zahan. Like I said, I'm a fan of Poe's work (he's been a big inspiration on me thanks), with The Raven being a personal favorite. Trivia like that always interest me, so I appreciate you telling me that. Never would have guessed it was inspired by Norse mythology.

So, here's the thing: Huginn and Muginn are the direct inspiration for the "Nevermore" Raven, as the mourning lover in the poem tries to drown his "sorrow for the lost Lenore" in his collection of literature. Thought and memory are the very things he's trying to banish, but the raven, representing both, as he does in Norse myth, will not be silent.

That's pretty awesome, thanks for the info on that, Zahan. Like I said, I'm a fan of Poe's work (he's been a big inspiration on me thanks), with The Raven being a personal favorite. Trivia like that always interest me, so I appreciate you telling me that. Never would have guessed it was inspired by Norse mythology.

Awesome!  Glad I could interest you with that! 

Incidentally, my personal favorites of Poe are The Cask of Amontillado and The Facts in the case of M.Valdemar.  One for the sheer insanity of the narrator, the other for the macabre treatment of death and the concept of forestalling death with mental powers (being hypnotized to ignore death is pretty boss).

Maybe this october my sig should include "Nemo me impune lacessit"?

Edited by The Dog of Zahan

Sounds like a plan to me!

I wouldn't be surprised if Poe was what got me interested in this series. I remember when Strange Journey was advertised in Nintendo Power and how bizarre the world was, with demons mixed in for good measure. I hadn't read much of Poe by that point, but I wouldn't be surprised if the odd nature of that game got my eye because of the odd nature of The Raven.

Strange Journey was a great game, I only disliked that last dungeon with so many invisible floors.

Just finished Persona 1 PSP yesterday (regular run, not Snow Queen). The only other Persona I finished was P3P. I am giving Persona 2 duology and 4 a run soon too.

I kinda define myself as a SMTpurist.

My gateway into the series was Digital Devil Saga (AKA Avatar Tuner), then Persona 4.  Tried Persona 3, but my SO liked it far better than I did.

I also have both Raidou Kuzunoha games, Nocturne, Soul Hackers, and both Devil Survivor 3DS remasters.  Oh, and Persona Q.

As far as favorite game in the series, the two SMT4 games seem to have that honor.  Before they came along it was DDS2.

Someone get Nanashi some food. My man is like a twig.

Someone get Nanashi some food. My man is like a twig.

An all demon meat diet would do that. At least that's my guess.

I did a bad thing and bought the Navarre helmet...but damn does the protagonist pull off the Slimer Navarre look.

"Behold MY heroism!"

So...which female demons are the most fanservicey this time?

Yes, I'm aware that fanservicey isn't a proper word. It matters not in this case.

Mermaid has some fan service I suppose, though her assets match the design style of older demons. Also her tail doesn't fully connect to her waist, and exposes some leg.

Dagda's mother has it "going on," for lack of better term.

I don't know other than that. Could be some demons I haven't met up with who push the boundaries, but really nothing beats the roman goddess who's body is covered with boobs (that were funnily enough censored in the Japanese version as well. I really wish I could remember the name of the demon, but hopefully you know who I'm talking about).

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Those P5 Catherine and swimsuit DLC costumes are on point. Some of the Catherine costumes seem to be for the specific character on purpose, just going off what I can gauge about their personalities based on the trailers (mostly trying to avoid everything. I only watched trailers and took a look at the social link character designs).

I recall that Gu Huo Niao has a pretty great rear. Wonder if she's still in the game.

Those P5 Catherine and swimsuit DLC costumes are on point. Some of the Catherine costumes seem to be for the specific character on purpose, just going off what I can gauge about their personalities based on the trailers (mostly trying to avoid everything. I only watched trailers and took a look at the social link character designs).

They didn't give Anne the Catherine look, did they? And if there's a Katherine outfit, I wonder who got that.

Medusa's new illustration is basically "HEY KID TAKE A LOOK AT THESE!!!!"

Chances are she is (just checked she is in the game, totally forgot you can fight her near the fairy forest area). Apocalypse has most of SMT4's demon compendium and then some, though from my understanding certain demons have been removed such as Fiend Chemtrail and (as far as I can tell anyway) End of Days and Sanat are gone too. Granted, the last two were DLC in the last game.

Ninja'd by Fates.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I recall that Gu Huo Niao has a pretty great rear. Wonder if she's still in the game.

They didn't give Anne the Catherine look, did they? And if there's a Katherine outfit, I wonder who got that.

Katherine went to Makoto, Catherine went to Anne, Haru is Erica, which might be a statement on the androgyny of her thief design, MC is Vincent, childhood friend guy is Orlando.

Figure it would be appropriate to make my 2,666th post in this thread...

Lucifer's new look. I can't say I was ever a fan of SMT4's version, but I like this new one even less. At the very least, the SMT4 Lucifer looked unnerving. This look, not so much.

The throne's pretty cool though.

Heard P5 is keeping the classic Kaneko designs for everything, even those redone in SMT4. Much respect to Yasushi Nirasawa (and RIP, he died this past February), but Kaneko's work is iconic to the series, as Nirasawa's artwork is iconic to Kamen Rider.

So what builds can one do in Apocalypse? 

So what builds can one do in Apocalypse? 

I'm sure, 'cause they're built in similar engines, that all the applicable SMT4 builds are valid here, too. 

That said, I'm maintaining a magic speedster, with my eye on having the highest available tier of single damage in every element, plus HP Restoring powers.  Worked in the prior game, with no problems, and has served me well here too.

Looks like we know the dub cast for P5. Always good to hear Cassandra Morris voicing someone. Most of the cast seems to be a lot of the big-name up-and-comers I've been seeing lately. It's pretty much the majority of the cast of Seven Deadly Sins. Cherami Leigh as Makoto.... Now I'm just gonna be hearing Asuna from Swort Art Online and start thinking about cages and tentacle grabbing.

Now that I'm done with DQ7, it's time to get back to the Final Apocalypse. It was funny jumping from the brightly colored world of DQ to the dark and harsh world of SMTIV. Completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

Anyway, I'm currently running around Shinjuku taking care of the Divine Powers problem going on.

Now that I'm done with DQ7, it's time to get back to the Final Apocalypse. It was funny jumping from the brightly colored world of DQ to the dark and harsh world of SMTIV. Completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

Anyway, I'm currently running around Shinjuku taking care of the Divine Powers problem going on.

And isn't Adramalech simply FAB-ULOUS!!!  In an utterly horrifying way?  :P

He's something alright. Though it was funny how he conveniently forgot about settling the score with Nanashi and Asahi.

I can't help but laugh at who his voice actor is though. Being voiced by the same guy who voices Abbot Hugo, all I can think of now is that underneath Hugo's robes is a frilly peacock tail.