Shin Megami Tensei Discussion Thread

Like the Etrian Odyssey thread I made some time ago, I'm making another one for all things Shin Megami Tensei and the many spin offs. Call it me being the Atlus nut that I am, but hey, when something works it works.

So feel free to talk about Shin Megami Tensei, the Digital Devil Saga, Persona, Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor - hell even DemiKids if you want too - within this topic, our own Cathedral of Shadows and/or Velvet Room, depending on your preference. ;)

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I hope SMT4F comes here.

Inb4Mara

But seriously, my favorites are:

Jack Frost, Black Frost, Daisoujou, Jack the Ripper, Garuda, Girimehkala, Orcus, Cherub

Of the high level demons:

Shiva, Metatron, and Beelzebub. If I can get this trio by the end of the game(s) if possibly, I'll be happy.

I hope SMT4F comes here.

It should, but it's odd how quiet Atlus USA has been about it cosidering how fast they got IV out in America. Probably will hear something between now and E3. If no news pops up by then, we have problems. Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Inb4Mara

But seriously, my favorites are:

Jack Frost, Black Frost, Daisoujou, Jack the Ripper, Garuda, Girimehkala, Orcus, Cherub

Of the high level demons:

Shiva, Metatron, and Beelzebub. If I can get this trio by the end of the game(s) if possibly, I'll be happy.

I hope SMT4F comes here.

It should, but it's odd how quiet Atlus USA has been about it cosidering how fast they got IV out in America. Probably will hear something between now and E3. If no news pops up by then, we have problems.

Sega is going to be publishing Atlus USA releases from here on out (they're also doing 7th Dragon)

Could be why we haven't heard anything yet.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/03/31/atlus-usa-games-will-now-be-published-by-sega

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/03/31/sega-is-now-publishing-atlus-usa-games-but-dont-worry.aspx

Oh I hope this ends up boding well in the end. As long as Atlus/Atlus USA can do their thing and not be interfered by the hand of Sega in their translations/releases, I will be fine.

Guess we'll see if this news will affect the final boss of Final. I looked up info about Final and came across it by accident, but I could see it being a red flag. I'll put it in spoilers, so click at your own risk.

The final boss is YHVH. That's all I know of his involvement in Final. No idea how much of a problem YHVH's inclusion would cause for localization, but....

Here's an article I found regarding some of IV Final's development. It's cool to see what sort of thought process goes in to forming this series and characters.

With that said... (continues to sit and wait for an English announcement for Final)

http://nintendoeverything.com/shin-megami-tensei-iv-final-devs-elements-that-define-the-series-considered-older-cast-music-more/

I've had Soul Hackers on the brain the last few days, particularly the soundtrack. It's a good game to have for your 3DS library if you're looking for an older RPG, or if you're looking for a new SMT experience.

For the heck of it, have the animated intro added to the 3DS version.

Aw man. I wanted to pick up Soul Hackers, but I didn't have space on my memory card. I'm playing through Devil Survivor though. After playing 2 first...the abundance of protection missions bugs me.

It's worth getting if you can (either digital or physical). After Strange Journey and SMT IV, Soul Hackers is one of my favorites.

I should try out the Devil Survivor games again. I started Overclocked at one point but got distracted by school, and it's been in limbo since.

Just spent a good 20 minutes trying to configure a customized Soul Hackers playlist on my iPod. For whatever reason they didn't put all the music in chronological order, but rather divided it in groups: dungeons, battle themes, event music, etc.

So, to at least try and have a chrono. list, I've tried ordering everything in the order it plays in game. Could have a few tracks off, but when a soundtrack has 104 songs total I'm ok with a song or two being out of order. XD

SALE ALERT!

Shin Megami Tensei IV is on sale via the Nintendo eshop for $13.99 until April 21st! That's a really good deal for the game if you don't own it already, so go check it out!

Oh yeah. I loved that game, and can highly recommend it. A tip for newcomers; Pay attention to what people say when you get to Tokyo, it's easy to get lost.

Oh yeah. I loved that game, and can highly recommend it. A tip for newcomers; Pay attention to what people say when you get to Tokyo, it's easy to get lost.

I put the game down for a month when I hit Tokyo. Big mistake. I ended up taking a year plus break because I was just too lost to casually pick it back up. Had to wait until I had a long time to really figure out where I was.

They improved the Tokyo map in IV Final. You know have markers for your objectives, as well as indicators for when NPCs have new dialogue/info for the party. I think there are some other features too, but I can't recall what they are.

No idea if the party can go up into the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado though, but with Isabeau being a support character for the new protagonist it could be possible.

They improved the Tokyo map in IV Final. You know have markers for your objectives, as well as indicators for when NPCs have new dialogue/info for the party. I think there are some other features too, but I can't recall what they are.

No idea if the party can go up into the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado though, but with Isabeau being a support character for the new protagonist it could be possible.

WTF!?

Really!?

Damn them. Damn them for not doing that before. I mean, it's not like it was released before, it's freaking 3DS!

They took player feedback to make Final a smoother experience, especially when on the over world map of Tokyo.

And while that's all well and good, I want the game because of how it continues IV's story in a new (alternate) way based on the Neutral route of IV. Merkabah and Lucifer having to deal with Krishna and the other Polytheistic gods, Flynn being drawn away from his mission to revive the Goddess of Tokyo, the new protagonist teaming up with new and old faces to the SMT IV universe to stop the war between gods...

And all the new demons and features as well.

Damn it Atlus USA, give us a bloody release date for this game. I want to experience the new game that is SMTIV Final!

!!!

Here is my response:

SMTIV Apocalypse! Woohoo.

Summer 2016.

Gonna be a busy summer between DQVII, SO5, SMTIV Apocalypse, I Am Setsuna and others.

Boxart, $49.99 MSRP.

hTt31gm.jpg

God please you for sharing that news, PSI Rockin Beta.

I don't know about the rest of your but Imma call this game Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final Apocalypse. That way we get both names in there. Best of both worlds!

I've added the reveal trailer for Final Apocalypse! Go and watch it in all its animated glory to the sick new theme song for the game!

Here's an article over the translation process and why the title was changed from Final to Apocalypse. It pays to have your email address signed up for the Atlus Faithful.

Also the "Featuring Dante..." bit at the end of the article is hilarious. THE JOKE WILL NEVER DIE!

http://atlus.com/whats-in-a-name-smtiv-final-and-localizing-a-name/

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, IV Apocalypse will come with a pin set as a launch copy bonus. Hopefully there will be a collector's edition like with IV, but either way I want those pins.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/28/shin-megami-tensei-iv-apocalypses-launch-edition-comes-pins/