Why Do People Hate Final Fantasy VII(Might become a rant)

Something I'm tired of coming across is FFVII hate. It's just these bigots who just hate on a game like freaking idiots have annoyed me to the point of me making this. Sorry for that outburst, and hey I get not everyone has the same opinions, if someone comes to me with legitimate argument as to why they don't like FFVII or think it's overated then yeah those guys I don't have a problem with, but these hipsters who think there cool for hating on a game that's really popular those guys I just can't stand sometimes. Also before anyone goes off saying I'm blinded by nostalgia or something like that, well yeah maybe a little a bit not gonna lie FFVII was one of the first games I really fell in love with(That and Dragon Quest and Zelda) wait that's not right ( Zelda and Dragon Quest, sorry DQ your still awesome) , but I have replayed it recently back in November so the experience is still pretty fresh in my mind. Think about this though, is nostalgia really a bad thing? Being completely blinded by nostalgia sure isn't good but maybe just having an eyepatch of nostalgia can be good. If it increases your enjoyment of something is it really that bad? Sorry for going on this sort of mini rant just felt like I had let go of this thing that's been building up inside me. Anyway I'd love to hear your opinions (Just don't be a bigot, also incase you don't know what a bigot is look it up so you can understand the point I want to get across) I like hearing others opinions ( Helps me from getting nostalgia blinded).

• Upvote 1

I don't hate it, I don't even dislike it. But I do think it is very overrated.

Game is a classic.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone "hate" it.  The "overrated" opinion is certainly there, but I disagree with it.  It really is as loved as it deserves to be.

On a side note:  FFXII is the game that unrightfully gets hate.

Edited by Megalosaro
  • Upvote 1

There are a handful of aspects I liked from 7, like materia and Chocobo racing, but the plot's pretty shoddy when Dirge and Crisis Core weren't things yet. They do a crap job explaining why Cloud idolized Zach, or why Sephiroth just outta nowhere ditch trying to revive Jenova and went to destroy the world.

The English translation is $#!&. That's enough of a reason for me not to play it any longer than I did. Gameplay was fine from what I played, but I can't really comment on story since I only played for 6 hours. It certainly didn't grab me though.

I hate it.

It's the only FF game I just stopped playing and have no interest in continuing. I hated Cloud and Sephiroth. I have no idea why people like them so much. Didn't like Aerith, Yuffie, Barret, Tifa, Cait Sith, Red XIII, or Vincent.

The good looking backgrounds and world was ruined by the blocky abominations of the characters. The music is par for the course when it comes to FF music.

Overall it was just a very bad experience for me and just completely confuses me as to why people love it so much.

Edited by Kalmana

Because hating things that are popular = "cool" on the internet. Sad, but true.

If people don't like it because they don't find the story and gameplay grabbing, I understand. But yeah, I like the game because I find both the story and gameplay very thorough and fun, that's all I feel I need to say. I don't get mad over disagreeable opinions on the internet. I have actual problems to worry about. I don't mean to sound condescending with that, I just honestly don't care if people hate something I like.

Never finished it but what I did play was very, very average. Nothing about it's presentation, story, gameplay stood out to me. The whole time I played, I said to myself, "Yep, this is a game. And I am playing it. I am pressing buttons and people are doing things because I am pushing those buttons." That's not the sentiment I see for it though. I hear people talk about it like it's the second coming of Christ. Proof that Jesus did die for our sins and that he forgives us all. I can honestly say it is the most over-rated thing, not just game, but thing, I have ever encountered. If people really wanted to stem the vitriol and hatred people get, maybe don't hype it up so high.

It doesn't help that Final Fantasy was just another game series until VII came along. And they couldn't even follow it up with anything of quality. VIII and IX have bad reputations (I don't know anything about IX as an outsider to be quite honest), and X is only looked back on fondly because of how goofy it is. Final Fantasy XI is an MMO, XII got some love in the day but it's now consistently mocked, even on this very forum. Lightning from XIII has practically achieved meme status. Basically, VII elevated Final Fantasy but they failed to prove it was worthy.

Also, One Winged Angel has got to be the most emo song name I've ever heard.

A lot of people fell in love with the game way back when because it was their first exposure to a game of that sort. It thus inspired them to make fan pages, fan art, fan fics, fan clubs, fan forums, fan cosplay, fan- you get the idea. It pretty much launched a new level of fandom almost unseen in America, one that also took advantage of Web 1.0 to share their fandom abroad, essentially flooding the 'net with their enthusiasm for the game. I'm sure you've seen this happen with plenty of inexplicable, omnipresent fandoms over the years since (Pokemon, Digimon, WoW, Mass Effect, Neon Genesis EVA, MLP, Twilight, One Direction, MCU, Nolan movies, Game Of Thrones, Walking Dead, American Idol, Jersey Shore, Duck Dynasty...)

This, naturally, led to a backlash against the fandom, and by proxy the game itself. Such is the order of things on the Internet, though FF7 may have been among the earliest to generate such heat.

Edited by Sykonee
  • Upvote 1

I'm just happy eal mentioned my mocking of FFXII. Haha, what a joke that game became. I was just sitting there not pressing buttons, watching people do stuff and thinking, "this is a game?"

As for 7, I came across it late and by then the graphics seemed off-putting. Never played for more than an hour, so no real opinion.

I played it when it came out. I was in middle school and I had just gotten my playstation for Christmas. I thought it was pretty fantastic and I have really fond memories of the game. I haven't played through it in probably 12 years, but I remember enjoying it a lot, even if some plot points were ridiculous at times. It was a game that really set the mood for me and RPGs in the 3D era, even though I've been playing RPGs since the NES.

even though I do not hate FFVII, I feel that it is being milked and overrated. Sephiroth, Cloud, and everything just feels generic. If a FF game deserved the "best" title, I think it should be V or VI. VI has generic elements also, like the tower of the gods, but they were portrayed in an amazingly cool way. FFVII is only trying to be cool.

Tower of the Gods? There's no Tower of the Gods in any version of VI unless you're either referring to the Floating Continent or Kefka's Tower.

There's a difference here. While both games have achieved cult status, FF6 did not sell as well as FF7 did. 

No one talks badly about FF6 as they do to FF7. 6 is a great game with great characters and a great story, but when 7 came out, the graphics really helped sell that game, people wanted to experience that, and even if it has a mediocre story, it still sold really well. Square is just playing off that, obviously with the numerous spinoffs and the like. If FF6 was as popular as FF7 was, we'd probably see more than just a terrible mobile port of the game and a re-release of it back on the GBA. 

Who knows. They probably know it's as popular as everyone thinks it is. What if someone that worked on that project crossed higher ups at Square and they just silently kill the things he's worked on like Capcom did to Inafune's projects after he left? There's an obvious reason they've gone that direction because at the end of the day, they are a business and they are going to make the thing that will sell better over the thing that everyone likes but won't sell as well.

Hell, they probably figure that FF6 is so cult status popular that there's nothing they can do that won't receive backlash to anything that's released. Look at what people have said about the port, look at what people said about the GBA port. It's one of those situations that no matter what they do, they may not be able to make the fanbase of the game happy no matter what they do.

I haven't played enough of VII to say whether I hate it or love it but I do get quite sick of hearing and the fact at least in my opinion it marked the start of a change in series that was for the worse.Not to mention Squares ignoring the III,V,VI.

I love FF VI and it kind of ticks to me off that game hasn't got proper treatment since FF VI Advanced.I never really played the SNES version since I didn't have Snes growing up and I only started gaming with N64.But I first played VI as party of FF Anthology and I liked it and V a lot.then the FF Advanced series game out and those were vastly superior in pretty much all areas to all previous releases.

Then later on we get the remasters of I,II and IV on PSP which are amazing,then the release a slighty enchanced version of the DS version of III on PSP,which is quite good though I would still love to see a sprite based remake in the future(though I kind of no its not happening).So I and many others were hoping that must mean that V and VI must coming soon.Suffice it to say they never came,then years later they come out on mobile which felt like a double slap in the face because sprites look infinitely worse than the style they used in PSP version of I,II,and IV not to mention at least in my case the forced touch screen controls..Then they port those versions to steam so at least now we can have some hope that modders while be able to give us the versions of V and VI we should have gotten in the first place.

I think the game was good for it's time, and now? It feels extremely dated.

The Materia system is cringeworthy in it's grind-ness nowadays, and to me, a lot of the sidequests and such seemed pointless, especially the end-game ones.

FFVII is dated. I'm hoping the remake will be awesomely modern. FF7, Crisis Core style would be neat.

I consider FFVII mediocre. I thought it was a very good 1/2 of a game. I don't hate it. It's not FFX or FFII.

I didn't like Cloud after his "Stolen Honor" part. Seprioth didn't make all that sense. Shinra were great villains.

I prefer IV, VI, IX, and Tactics.

I prefer IV, VI, IX, and Tactics.

You are a man, er, dragon, with good tastes. IV is one of my favorite games (both in the series and in general).

V and I are two other FF games I enjoyed outside the ones you mentioned. I'm not a big Final Fantasy fan, but those 6 games are ones I'd replay in a heartbeat (especially IV).

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

FFVII was good up till I think the Corel area. I think? After that the story and characters takes a nosedive for me.

I know for a fact after Aerith stops being a thing I just care less about the story period. Her role in the story is all I was invested in.

After that I just stick around for the gameplay and sidequests.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm definitely not a fan. I'm confident saying I genuinely dislike VII. It has aged much worse than IV-VI, and as someone who pretty much played the series in order up through VI, VII was a major disappointment for me. The characters lacking the depth of VI's robust and compelling cast, the further distancing from the series' high fantasy roots, and the horrible polygonal models after the great spritework of the prior titles turned me right off. Definitely a big disappointment for me. I'm disappointed that you consider anyone who dislikes FFVII a bigot; I certainly am not one. Respecting dissection is important.

Edited by 1upsuper

I didn't say anyone who doesn't like Final Fantasy 7 a bigot. I suppose I should been more clear. You see it's not people such as I you genuinely dislike 7 and have an opinion, it's people who hate on the game for being to "mainstream" or act all cool about how much they dislike 7. This rant is just something that built up over time and just had to get it out. I don't think your a bigot for disliking 7, thank you for sharing your opinion.

I didn't say anyone who doesn't like Final Fantasy 7 a bigot. I suppose I should been more clear. You see it's not people such as I you genuinely dislike 7 and have an opinion, it's people who hate on the game for being to "mainstream" or act all cool about how much they dislike 7. This rant is just something that built up over time and just had to get it out. I don't think your a bigot for disliking 7, thank you for sharing your opinion.

I see. Thanks for your post.