Sign in to follow this  
jay

Pallet swap monsters

I found an in progress database for joker 3, mostly lists of monsters, and I was troubled by the amount of pallet wwap monsters there were. From all the images and this list, we've seen 4 Roboster colours, 4 king slimes, 4 healslimes, 4 night clubbers (of all different sizes). On the list I saw that breeding 4 Firebirds together gets you a Hell Hawk (Rainhawk swap), as well as listing for the magenta Gigadraco pallet. My problem is...why introduce the ability to paint monsters if you'll just give us 50 shades of slime anyway?

• Upvote 2

I've seen almost each kind of monster has at least 3 recolors, and up to 5. This and the lack of an incredible amount of monsters from DQM2 make this game a huge disappointment for me.

That wouldn't ro us any good if it gets the same treatment over here as pro did

Yeah. We need DQ7 and 8 to do quite well (among other things) outside of Japan to even get the slightest of chance that Nintendo will localize this.

• Upvote 1

It seems to be about 200 base monsters and then 300 palette swaps. Now that's a lazy way to raise your monster count.

• Like 1

One reason why I very much disliked the Joker series. So many lazy recolors. Its okay when done in moderation, but when 3/5ths of all monsters are palette swaps? No thank you.

I wanna add that three of the five post-game bosses are recolors from other monsters (2 of them were also scaled up to 4-slot; the 3rd one already was).

The recolored monsters are

the ripped dragon from 10 (¿King Lizard?) (DQ10), Poseidon (DQM2) and Metal Goddess (DQM2-3DS)

Edited by Awesomeinblue

even in dqmj2pro the strong and strongest monsters aren't even palletteswapped... plus similar but technically different monsters might have lazy art but their existence might mean unique abilities which end up mattering? plus uh? aren't they all ride-able in dqmj3? makes sense if they have to do more art for each monster and they still want lots of monsters then they'll need some pallette swaps?

If the riding mechanic is the reason for this then that's pretty lame. Being the first 3D game, I could understand Joker 1 having more pallet swaps at the expense of unique monsters. But cutting back for the sake of such an insignificant feature is harder to justify. Especially to this extent.

Plus, in my opinion, the strong and strongest feature of pro was a little different than this. Maybe it wws a mental thing, but having that tag and the rank increase felt....good, like you saw your monster grow with you. Plus...Pro had like 500 base monsters with about 300 total strong/strongests

A lot of people from Japan have been reviewing the game negatively due to the amount of colour swaps, kinda disappointing 

Yeah, I just finished the main part of the game and I'm kind of disappointed. Not just the palette swaps but the monster selection in general just seemed lacking. It seems like they did a good job of selecting a lot of monsters that I don't care for while getting rid of a lot of the monsters that I liked.

That probably has to do with the over-abundance of DQ10 enemies. They took like 5 times as many from that game than any other game and I never played it and I don't really care to either.

It really hit me how much the game was gutted when I ran the DQM2->DQMJ3 transfer program and it turns out that only like 15 of my monsters were available to bring over lol. I always made it a point to create Maou no Tsukai in my end-game party because he's one of my favorites and he's been in every Monsters game up to this point except Caravan Heart but even he got the boot. Really disappointing.

DQM2 remains the definitive 3ds Monsters game imo

Edited by The n00b Avenger

To be fair, Joker 1&2 had a LOT of monsters from 8...but on the other hand, I'm sure we all have a monster from 8 we like.

I don't remember those being nearly this bad.

The breakdown from this game is

Dragon Quest: 22

Dragon Quest 2: 29

Dragon Quest 3: 44

Dragon Quest 4: 30

Dragon Quest 5: 42

Dragon Quest 6: 25

Dragon Quest 7: 33

Dragon Quest 8: 28

Dragon Quest 9: 21

Dragon Quest 10: 163

Past DQM games including Monster Parade and Super Light(none from Caravan Heart): 41

Joker 3 Original: 74

Heroes and Swords: 2

Dragon Quest 10 alone makes up nearly 1/3rd of all the monsters. DQ10 and Joker 3 Originals combined make up over 40%.

Edited by The n00b Avenger

dq10 didn't ever get an english release did it?

also is terry no wunderland the 3ds version of dqm2? is that the one you meant? or was there a 2d release on 3ds of dqm2?

dq10 didn't ever get an english release did it?

also is terry no wunderland the 3ds version of dqm2? is that the one you meant? or was there a 2d release on 3ds of dqm2?

X never had an English release, no. Terry no Wonderland is the name for both the Japanese version of Dragon Quest Monsters 1 on the GB/C as well as its remake on the 3DS. Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi is the name of the 3DS remake of Dragon Quest Monsters 2, also originally on the GB/C.

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 3:19 AM, 1upsuper said:

X never had an English release, no. Terry no Wonderland is the name for both the Japanese version of Dragon Quest Monsters 1 on the GB/C as well as its remake on the 3DS. Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi is the name of the 3DS remake of Dragon Quest Monsters 2, also originally on the GB/C.

Hmm, it seems "Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi" had only a japanese release, is there an english patch project for it? I'd love to play this version, it's probably the best version right? If I can't find a translation patch for it, I'll be happy to go replay the original gameboy color version, but I'd much prefer to play on 3ds, so I figured I'd ask here about a translation patch for this game before giving up.

I've always felt like dragon quest monsters joker 2 pro was the definitive best dqm game because it had like 500 monsters, but it's been a decade since I played the original non-joker dragon quest monsters 2 on gameboy. I should totally replay dragon quest monsters 2 to compare, I bet it'll be something I appreciate even more. Although I do like the cool 3d art in dragon quest joker 2pro.

edit: whoa i just realized dqmj3pro is already out, i wonder if pro solves this thread's complaints?

Edited by dbouya

DQM2 for 3DS doesn't have a patch yet. I can't say for sure that it'll happen, but I don't doubt it.

On 01/06/18 at 5:01 PM, dbouya said:

edit: whoa i just realized dqmj3pro is already out, i wonder if pro solves this thread's complaints?

Sort of but not really. The recolours are still there and there's more. I mean, it's better, but not solved