Sign in to follow this  
Hexoc the LMS

DQMJ: Pathetically Easy?

Only thing I miss with the 3D transition is that your monsters don't follow right behind you anymore. Yes it would be incredibly awkward in the 3DS games with giant some monsters are, but that was always my favorite part of the GBC games as your newly hatched monsters tag along, nipping at your heels as you train them to be strong like their parents before them.

Plus it's funny to see the demon lords follow a little kid around without a second thought.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

Plus it's funny to see the demon lords follow a little kid around without a second thought.

Haha, that was awesome! I had all of them at one point or another on DWM2, so I'd switch them in and out just to see that happen.

It got even worse after Joker 2. They deleted all monsters and graphics. Outside Japan got squat. Give me Joker 1 any day of the week compared to that.

When the fans asked if we were getting Joker 3, they deleted all the files live on stream.

What files and graphics?

In all honesty, aside from the rougelike elements being dropped, I didn't have a problem with the transition from DWM to Joker. Scouting isn't as bad as it's made out to be, and has only improved as the games went on with more monsters having Psycho, the introduction of Hit Squad, and now in J3, Double Trouble and such monsters will retain their multiple actions.

I do like the hyper customization in Warriors, how any monster can perform any role, so you can always use your favourites, it's kind of stagnant when you can have 3 monsters with 999's across the board spamming Oomph and QuadHits. While Joker 2 US completely botched "balancing", Pro and subsequent games did it well. And I feel the use of skill trees reflects it. Rather than just giving every monster, HellBlast, Kazing, Full Heal, Oomph and Quadhits, you actually gotta strategize a bit more. Is this monster better suited for attacking? Or should I have it focus on support? What about its traits?

As for the renaming of monsters...I'm sure I can call it a GigaDraco and people would know what I mean...

Scouting is bad. Bad, bad, bad. In DWM1/2 you can use meat to bring in a steady stream of monsters (and some just join you for free), and its only dependent on your amount of gold. Scouting probably sounded good on paper, but it was implemented poorly in J1 and J2. Considering scouting getting easier, what happened is that they introduced scouting and made it to be punishing when you failed, and then slowly nerfed it in J2 where they added chances for the monster to weigh things up instead of taking offense. It was easier in J2, but near as easy in DWM.

Scouting shouldn't be dependent on monsters having Psycho or Hit Squad. That just makes the scouting field exclusive to these monsters in mid to late game. I'm okay with the idea of Talent Scout and Psycho giving a bonus to scouting, but the way the game is set up, monsters with these traits rule and all others are left in the dust. You HAVE to stick with a select few monsters to make it work consistently. Do you have favorite monsters (which is a pinnacle trait of a monster-genre gamer)? You're out of luck.

I think there would have been better ways of customizing a monster than just three skill trees. The way it is, there's no spontaneity with it. You know exactly what your monster is going to learn next. This was kind of the case in DWM1/2, but there weren't any indicators ruining the surprise of what they'll learn next, however small that surprise is. They also made learning new skills from ones monsters already know almost impossible in J1/2 unless you're already actively going for it. I've had multiple occasions in DWM1/2 where my monster will create PalsyAir, RainSlash, BiAttack, the elemental slashes, etc out of the blue because the pieces fell into place that way. I like that. The skill tree system just uprooted that entirely.

And concerning names, that still doesn't change the fact that my GigaDraco casting FireBane on a NiteRich was changed to Drakulard casting Sizzle on a Knight Night. I have to play the game knowing its full of awful puns and whacky titles.

Files and graphics = the game.

I've never seen any English Joker 3. They killed it.

Firstly, monsters could "size you up" without taking offense in Joker 1.

Second, no matter how much you dislike Scouting, it's not the entirety of the metagame. Yeah, there are a couple of monsters that are better at scouting than others, but how many of them are competitively viable? Just Conklave, really.

As for the spontaneity of skill trees, while the skill trees in Joker 2 and onward ruined the surprise of what skills your monsters would learn from that specific tree, what was your reaction when you were synthesizing monsters and by chance, got something with Uber Dark Dynamiter for the first time? Simply because the pieces needed for it fell into place a certain way.

The new spell names intentionally use a similar naming style to the Japanese ones. I quite like them, and at the very least they're better organised and easier to remember. There's little rhyme or reason to the old ones. Is Twinhits the precursor to Quadhits? Why are Firebolt and Icebolt at complete opposite power levels? What kind of spell name is HealUsAll? In this day and age all this would just look crude and unprofessional.

Firstly, monsters could "size you up" without taking offense in Joker 1.

Second, no matter how much you dislike Scouting, it's not the entirety of the metagame. Yeah, there are a couple of monsters that are better at scouting than others, but how many of them are competitively viable? Just Conklave, really.

As for the spontaneity of skill trees, while the skill trees in Joker 2 and onward ruined the surprise of what skills your monsters would learn from that specific tree, what was your reaction when you were synthesizing monsters and by chance, got something with Uber Dark Dynamiter for the first time? Simply because the pieces needed for it fell into place a certain way.

I don't remember ANY monsters sizing me up in Joker 1. I specifically remember them ALWAYS taking offense if you fail to scout. I also don't consider multiplayer in my previous statements because I personally don't care for it - I think it did more harm for the game as a whole than good (since they had to rebalance the game around it so haphazardly). The servers are shut off eventually anyway (DQM:J2's servers were gone before I ever got around to playing the game), so singleplayer accounts for the longevity of the game as a whole, and both Joker's single-player were poor in replayability. I'd rather have a solid, enjoyable experience with singleplayer first before deciding to jump into the more complex, intensive competitive play. This is why I don't play games like Call of Duty, where 3/4ths of the game is solely for multiplayer, with a tacked-on singleplayer.

I never got any of the Uber skills (or any skills for that matter) by chance. Not once. I only knew they existed after I beat Joker 1 and found my way to Woodus to look up synthesizing recipes.

The new spell names intentionally use a similar naming style to the Japanese ones. I quite like them, and at the very least they're better organised and easier to remember. There's little rhyme or reason to the old ones. Is Twinhits the precursor to Quadhits? Why are Firebolt and Icebolt at complete opposite power levels? What kind of spell name is HealUsAll? In this day and age all this would just look crude and unprofessional.

I'm not saying the old names are perfect. Not by a long shot. I'm saying that the new names are cartoony and cringey, and I don't like Squenix making Dragon Quest sound like the next Disney cartoon.

So...I'm kinda late to this party.

That being said, yeah, none of the Monsters games are all that difficult....

....I've still enjoyed the ones I played though. There was enough substance to keep me interested.

Scouting is bad. Bad, bad, bad. In DWM1/2 you can use meat to bring in a steady stream of monsters (and some just join you for free), and its only dependent on your amount of gold. Scouting probably sounded good on paper, but it was implemented poorly in J1 and J2. Considering scouting getting easier, what happened is that they introduced scouting and made it to be punishing when you failed, and then slowly nerfed it in J2 where they added chances for the monster to weigh things up instead of taking offense. It was easier in J2, but near as easy in DWM.

Scouting shouldn't be dependent on monsters having Psycho or Hit Squad. That just makes the scouting field exclusive to these monsters in mid to late game. I'm okay with the idea of Talent Scout and Psycho giving a bonus to scouting, but the way the game is set up, monsters with these traits rule and all others are left in the dust. You HAVE to stick with a select few monsters to make it work consistently. Do you have favorite monsters (which is a pinnacle trait of a monster-genre gamer)? You're out of luck.

I think there would have been better ways of customizing a monster than just three skill trees. The way it is, there's no spontaneity with it. You know exactly what your monster is going to learn next. This was kind of the case in DWM1/2, but there weren't any indicators ruining the surprise of what they'll learn next, however small that surprise is. They also made learning new skills from ones monsters already know almost impossible in J1/2 unless you're already actively going for it. I've had multiple occasions in DWM1/2 where my monster will create PalsyAir, RainSlash, BiAttack, the elemental slashes, etc out of the blue because the pieces fell into place that way. I like that. The skill tree system just uprooted that entirely.

And concerning names, that still doesn't change the fact that my GigaDraco casting FireBane on a NiteRich was changed to Drakulard casting Sizzle on a Knight Night. I have to play the game knowing its full of awful puns and whacky titles.

The scouting system has ups and downs. The biggest advantage is being able to choose which monster joins you instead of it being the last one you defeat. I agree that focused too much on physical attackers/psych up/oomph/sap users and made everything else too. The 3DS games bring meat back which gives you very decent % of scouting regardless of your team. I think a combination of both is the best. Also, monsters sometimes join you randomly in the remake of DQM2.

Skill trees I'm not a big fan of because of how many "useless" trees there are. IMO all skill trees should be competitively viable. I don't know about joker 3 but this hasn't been the case in all the other games, with some trees being clearly better than others. The super/ultra guard trees in DQM2 are some of the biggest offenders of this. Very hard to get (you must scout a street passed monsters since they are event-only skill trees) but a must-have for wi-fi play. There are dozens of regular ward skill trees, but there is simply no reason to use any of them as long as the rare guard trees exist. Same thing goes for many offensive skill trees. And having to gather the scrolls to access the uber skills is pretty annoying too....

The old skill system on the other hand meant that every monster used the same 8 skills, more or less. It was flawed in its own way. You could also look up what skills your monster learned in the library. Only joker 1 had 'surprise' skills since it only listed the first four skills of a skill tree.

As for the names, I grew up with the ones from dragon warrior but it's hard to defend names like "explodet" and "healmore". And don't get me started on the translation errors. NiteRich? Rayburn? WhiteKing? WindMerge? ArcDemon? Octoreach? Did nobody proofread the names? The new translation can be a little confusing at times, though. For example the old skill called "kamikaze" is now called "one on one" (or something, off the top of my head), and the old skill called "sacrifice" is now called "kamikaze". There is a monster in DQ9 that is called "leviathan", though it is not called so in the japanese version, instead there is a different monster in DQM2 that is called "leviathan" in japanese but its English name is something entirely different. Keep in mind that this is a series that has received different translation "reboots" like four or five times. You can mention one monster and it has like four different names that all refer to the same monster. Whyyyyyy?

The scouting system has ups and downs. The biggest advantage is being able to choose which monster joins you instead of it being the last one you defeat. I agree that focused too much on physical attackers/psych up/oomph/sap users and made everything else too. The 3DS games bring meat back which gives you very decent % of scouting regardless of your team. I think a combination of both is the best. Also, monsters sometimes join you randomly in the remake of DQM2.

Skill trees I'm not a big fan of because of how many "useless" trees there are. IMO all skill trees should be competitively viable. I don't know about joker 3 but this hasn't been the case in all the other games, with some trees being clearly better than others. The super/ultra guard trees in DQM2 are some of the biggest offenders of this. Very hard to get (you must scout a street passed monsters since they are event-only skill trees) but a must-have for wi-fi play. There are dozens of regular ward skill trees, but there is simply no reason to use any of them as long as the rare guard trees exist. Same thing goes for many offensive skill trees. And having to gather the scrolls to access the uber skills is pretty annoying too....

The old skill system on the other hand meant that every monster used the same 8 skills, more or less. It was flawed in its own way. You could also look up what skills your monster learned in the library. Only joker 1 had 'surprise' skills since it only listed the first four skills of a skill tree.

As for the names, I grew up with the ones from dragon warrior but it's hard to defend names like "explodet" and "healmore". And don't get me started on the translation errors. NiteRich? Rayburn? WhiteKing? WindMerge? ArcDemon? Octoreach? Did nobody proofread the names? The new translation can be a little confusing at times, though. For example the old skill called "kamikaze" is now called "one on one" (or something, off the top of my head), and the old skill called "sacrifice" is now called "kamikaze". There is a monster in DQ9 that is called "leviathan", though it is not called so in the japanese version, instead there is a different monster in DQM2 that is called "leviathan" in japanese but its English name is something entirely different. Keep in mind that this is a series that has received different translation "reboots" like four or five times. You can mention one monster and it has like four different names that all refer to the same monster. Whyyyyyy?

I did like how it gave you a choice of which monster to scout, I will admit. I'm glad the 3DS games (despite me probably never having the chance to play them) came back with meat and made it easier to scout in different ways. But I think the scouting system would have been so much better if they took ALL the monsters stats into account (or maybe just ATK, DEF, AGL, and INT) and averaged them and applied that value to the scouting % instead of just physical damage output.

I thought the same about the skill trees. Stuff like Iceplosion Slashes and Dragon Lore are just crap. Crap crap crap. It happened exactly like it did in DWM - skills that could upgrade always beat out the rest, like how Frigidair and Fireair beat Firebal and Icebolt by a long shot. It's ironic that after all this retooling the series was given, this was still the case.

I only played online with Joker 1 (and hated it), but I can see why the wi-fi only stuff to get particular good skills is a stupid idea. Just another reason to show how multiplayer is just a temporary part of the game's longevity.

Its very evident the translation team wasn't on their A-game with the originals. I replayed DWM1 recently and there are some bits of dialogue that are just outright confusing. I get whats happening, but the way the words are put together is just... foreign. Like SkyDragon saying "squeek squeek strike!!" and Stoneman saying "sooo yoouu saw my face" or whatever.

I still think there's a better way than translating the names into goofy nonsense. I'm VERY excited for the translation of DQM1+2, because it looks like they're using a translation of the words instead of just doing what the new games do (Kacrackle, Fizzle, etc). I really need to donate to those folks, because they're my only hope of playing a newer version of my fav games.

• Upvote 1

It is naturally fairly easy.  Hardest part is getting the library as complete as possible without reading faqs or walkthrus.

Joker 2 is more of a challenge, at some points bosses seemed impossible until i fused my maxed out monsters, then maxed them, then fused again, then i could barely beat a couple of them.

Joker 2 Professional however seems even slightly easier than Joker.  Monsters seem to level up faster along with bosses taking less hits to kill.

OOH I know, anybody know any rom editing tutorials.  I mean I could just make some action replay codes to do it but i would rather do a patch to raise enemy stats making the game more challenging.  Should be fairly simple as monsters stats change automatically when scouted, so even wild scoutables can be increased along with bosses.