Sign in to follow this  
Hexoc the LMS

DQMJ: Pathetically Easy?

I recently started a challenge run of the firsr DQMJ(nothing on my team can have a rank higher than C), and I'm just now realizing how easy it is to kickstart synthesis in this game. Via slimes, I already have a King Slime with Attack Boost II in 2 and a half hours of playtime. I could easily have a diemon(4 winkies) and using either of those, I could make a decent Psycho monster to scout stuff on Infern Isle early, further jumpstarting things. Take it a step further, and it would be easy to Scout the Gigantes on Infant with some slight strategy. 

All of this is doable before the first boss. And from past experience, this can make mainstory practically play itself. 

DQMJ2 had similar synthesis kickstarts, but they were not easily usable until Iceolation, the game's third area. 

This begs the question, is DQMJ too easy?

Well, the monster games are not known for being difficult.

Edited by Judas

The story and single player are just kind of vehicles to get monsters you can use in wi-fi battles, which are meant to be the meat of the game

It is absolutely a joke. I mentioned in your status how I'm running through the game with just a certain single monster. It was a bit of an uphill battle at first, but once I got the Phoenix Sceptre, the game became much easier.

For some reason, it took me a very, very long time to beat the final boss.

You can go for the Gigantes at the very beginning if you really want. The point is, it takes quite a bit of time to get these monsters, so it's not really saving you time in the long run. Upgrading monster ranks is easy enough through natural play.

I think exp is shared across monsters so single monster challenges will benefit from that. It's probably easier to beat the game with one souped up monster, actually, since you can buy items that let you cast stat boosting spells. In fact, the whole game becomes pretty easy once you start abusing the hell out of consumable items.

Yes, yes it was.

Joker itself is a joke.

Cobi and Tara FOREVER!

I think I'm the only one that likes Joker.

I don't dislike joker by any means.It just hasn't aged as well as pro

You and me. I enjoyed both. Never wished for a "pro" version. Never felt like I missed out. I was perfectly happy with both.

SHUUUNNNN

You and me. I enjoyed both. Never wished for a "pro" version. Never felt like I missed out. I was perfectly happy with both.

You're the one and done guy anyway, so a second/extended version would be pointless.

• Upvote 1

I'm like the one night stand kinda guy with most games, yeah.

Joker itself is a joke.

Cobi and Tara FOREVER!

This. I hate the Joker series, and it got even worse when they added monster sizes in Joker 2 and onward. Sub-par 3D graphics, whacky (cringey) characters, and everything nerfed to hell to facilitate a tacked-on online play? Sure thing! Sounds like a great idea.

Joker itself is a joke.

Cobi and Tara FOREVER!

This. I hate the Joker series, and it got even worse when they added monster sizes in Joker 2 and onward. Sub-par 3D graphics, whacky (cringey) characters, and everything nerfed to hell to facilitate a tacked-on online play? Sure thing! Sounds like a great idea.

Joker is actually my favourite series

But yeah DQMJ is very easy, if you get the gigantes at the start it's ridiculously easy to kick start synthesis and get buffalogre or other creatures for an easy demon at arms and then synth your way to malroth then nimzo or zoma... However the first joker is still my favourite, Joker 2 didn't appeal to me as much

Joker itself is a joke.

Cobi and Tara FOREVER!

Joker is actually my favourite series

But yeah DQMJ is very easy, if you get the gigantes at the start it's ridiculously easy to kick start synthesis and get buffalogre or other creatures for an easy demon at arms and then synth your way to malroth then nimzo or zoma... However the first joker is still my favourite, Joker 2 didn't appeal to me as much

It's kinda hard to decide which Joker I hate the least. Joker 1 "kicked off" the reboot and had randomly generated islands (which I thought was cool) but the main areas were really bland and (for the most part) were devoid of anything meaningful to find. There also weren't enough monsters. Joker 2 had a bunch of improvements and more monsters and had more interesting areas to explore, but the entire game was limited to one (deserted) island, had cringey writing, and added monster sizes, which really killed it for me.

Both games are crap compared to Cobi/Tara, because Armor Project had to completely rework the game around multiplayer, which I don't think DQM needs that at all. Just another game that had its single player ruined by online play - though that's just my opinion.

Dragon Quest Monster Joker 1 is especially easy if you know where all the secrets are etc 

like knowing where the Giant spawns or knowing how to get the King slime and such

also Dqmj1 is 100% my favourite game how do people hate it 

Dragon Quest Monster Joker 1 is especially easy if you know where all the secrets are etc 

like knowing where the Giant spawns or knowing how to get the King slime and such

They butchered everything. Going from DWM2 to Joker made for a massive change. No randomly generated worlds to explore and keep things fresh. 210 monsters compared to DWM2's 350-ish. Ugly graphics. A poorly implemented scouting system that heavily favors high-ATK and/or Psycho-trait monsters, is based on chance, makes caster or healer monsters useless in scouting, and punishes the player for failing to scout by locking off the monster and increasing their damage for the next turn. Completely threw out monster's 8 skills (that were highly customization) for a bland system of three slots for skill trees and skill points. Overhauling the game (which encompasses a few previous points) to enforce balance for online multiplayer to the point of bland grindiness. And let's not forget the absolutely ABHORRENT renaming they did of all monsters, skills, and itmes, mutilating them into cringey, childish puns (Poisonous Poke, Missing Lynx, Chainine, etc.)

I could go on and on. It gets worse in some areas when considering the next Joker.

Edited by Jimmu_Dudeski
  • Upvote 1

It got even worse after Joker 2. They deleted all monsters and graphics. Outside Japan got squat. Give me Joker 1 any day of the week compared to that.

I loved Joker. The GBC games will probably always be my favourites, but I liked the move into 3D, and think Joker onward have much tighter game mechanics. I like that monsters are suited to certain roles instead of having almost identical potential.

In other words, the 3DS remakes would've been perfect had SE not been so evil as to not localize them.

It got even worse after Joker 2. They deleted all monsters and graphics. Outside Japan got squat. Give me Joker 1 any day of the week compared to that.

When the fans asked if we were getting Joker 3, they deleted all the files live on stream.

• Upvote 1

They butchered everything. Going from DWM2 to Joker made for a massive change. No randomly generated worlds to explore and keep things fresh. 210 monsters compared to DWM2's 350-ish. Ugly graphics. A poorly implemented scouting system that heavily favors high-ATK and/or Psycho-trait monsters, is based on chance, makes caster or healer monsters useless in scouting, and punishes the player for failing to scout by locking off the monster and increasing their damage for the next turn. Completely threw out monster's 8 skills (that were highly customization) for a bland system of three slots for skill trees and skill points. Overhauling the game (which encompasses a few previous points) to enforce balance for online multiplayer to the point of bland grindiness. And let's not forget the absolutely ABHORRENT renaming they did of all monsters, skills, and itmes, mutilating them into cringey, childish puns (Poisonous Poke, Missing Lynx, Chainine, etc.)

I could go on and on. It gets worse in some areas when considering the next Joker.

oh then again

i never played the earlier DWM games

In all honesty, aside from the rougelike elements being dropped, I didn't have a problem with the transition from DWM to Joker. Scouting isn't as bad as it's made out to be, and has only improved as the games went on with more monsters having Psycho, the introduction of Hit Squad, and now in J3, Double Trouble and such monsters will retain their multiple actions.

I do like the hyper customization in Warriors, how any monster can perform any role, so you can always use your favourites, it's kind of stagnant when you can have 3 monsters with 999's across the board spamming Oomph and QuadHits. While Joker 2 US completely botched "balancing", Pro and subsequent games did it well. And I feel the use of skill trees reflects it. Rather than just giving every monster, HellBlast, Kazing, Full Heal, Oomph and Quadhits, you actually gotta strategize a bit more. Is this monster better suited for attacking? Or should I have it focus on support? What about its traits?

As for the renaming of monsters...I'm sure I can call it a GigaDraco and people would know what I mean...