Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Do you prefer 1st person or 3rd person battles?

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello all, ol' Yangus here with another question for you lot!

We've seen the Dragon Quest series go through the two common styles of battle: 1st person and 3rd person. But the question is, which do you prefer?

Maybe you like the classic style of a 1st person format, or seeing the action in a 3rd person view. Or maybe you enjoy both depending on the game/series, who knows.

So, give a vote up in the poll and let us know why you chose that option.

I like both for different reasons. Personally, I like the physical attacks and being able to see the party's gear with the 3rd person. But skills seem to be more visibly impressive in 1st

I like the combo system they've been working with, as far as DQ goes.

Otherwise? I'd have to say third-person all the way if possible, if it's a traditional JRPG.

Your topic leaves lots of things open, mate... mmm. Doom.

It depends. I like the third person representation, but it also slows the game down having to show the attack animation. DQ9 is great, but having to watch the animations for attack, while really awesome, in the long run slow down game progression for me. But when I play pretty much any post 7 DQ game, grinding is so much easier. I remember getting so slogged down when I'd have to grind in DQ8. I felt like it was moving so slow, and there was no way to speed up the battles like other games have done where you can crank up the battle speed. 

Despite my complaints about the third person, I still like it. I like to see my characters :P

@Matt - I'm sure it does, but the point was to ask if you prefer 1st or 3rd person battles.

Going into combat style/systems like combos, turn based, action, strategy, and so on is a topic for another day.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

I like 1st, being the man (or woman) making the swing, or casting the spell.  That's MY spell little monster...demon...despicable human trash!  Feel MY blade!

However, I also like the other form of immersion granted from being the watcher, and seeing the entire action played out in dramatic form.  So I do enjoy 3rd, for different reasons.

So long as it's a fun game, and engaging battle system, yeah, I'm a both kinda guy.

Does it count as third person if they have an icon of the character present on the screen? :P

Both

tumblr_inline_n3ghj9J3u91qcklud.gif

• Upvote 1

Cool topic, Yangus.  I like both for different reasons and for different games.  If we are specifically talking Dragon Quest, I think that I like the fancy-shmancy 3rd person battles of VIII and IX.  I enjoyed seeing all of the action in those games.

I'd say both. I like seeing customized characters and their movements in 3D, but 2D first person battles are great for admiring the sprite animation.

I voted 1st because i prefer that in DQ, but i also like 3rd. The best hybrid system i've seen so far is DQ7-3DS, which still focuses in the monsters but it also shows your party.

Time I answer my own question:

I prefer 1st person battles. Both because of the faster speed and because I enjoy imagining how the characters pull off their attacks, various skills and spells, and so on. As long as I have artwork of the character to get an idea what they look like, my mind can do the rest.

I do like 3rd person, but in some RPGs it can really slow down the game. Best example would be Final Fantasy IX: I love that game, but even on the fastest battle speed the game can really come to a halt in combat.

You have to recall that FF9's battle speed has everything to do with PSX hardware, and any port of the game comes down to proper encoding and utilization of the hardware available to speed things up.

Consider DQ8 PS2 Japan versus International.

DQ8 PS2 Japan is blazing fast.  No load times that you can notice, unless your PS2 is on the fritz or running a bit too long, or maybe there's some dust on the lens, or a scratch on the disc.

DQ8 PS2 International is slooowww.  Why, because of the added burden on system RAM due to the stylized menu system, and the poorly integrated orchestrated OST.

If the game were released on the PS3, for instance, Final Fantasy 9 would move at lightning speed, and there would be no lag gaps as the system dumps one skill or spell from RAM, and fills up the empty slots with the next in the queue.

Edited by ignasia7

I prefer 1st person battles. Both because of the faster speed and because I enjoy imagining how the characters pull off their attacks, various skills and spells, and so on. As long as I have artwork of the character to get an idea what they look like, my mind can do the rest.

I do like 3rd person, but in some RPGs it can really slow down the game. Best example would be Final Fantasy IX: I love that game, but even on the fastest battle speed the game can really come to a halt in combat.

So, how did you like the animations in Persona Q?

In short I didn't mind them but I sped up the battle speed to skip Persona summoning animations.

In short I didn't mind them but I sped up the battle speed to skip Persona summoning animations.
I enjoyed them. A lot. For 20 hours.

Then I turned them off for the next 50.

Either is equally fine in a turn based RPG.

In the rest of gaming, first person sucks, in my opinion,unless it is a pre-programmed skit (i.e. the death of Zeus in God of War 3). I despise first person shooters: they literally bore me into a sleepy state. I will likely never touch a Metroid Prime game as a result.

Edited by redneckpride4ever

I'm surprised how many votes 1st person has. I figured 1st and 3rd would have the most votes followed by 3rd person.

I should have expected the unexpected, it seems!