DQJM3 Demo Impressions topic

I'm stuck at the green dragon boss. It's pathetically small for a 3 slot monster by the way. Pretty sure it's the same size as the old 2 slot green dragon (and only slightly bigger than joker's 1 slot version). What kind of monsters are good to train? I went for archdemon and overkilling machine since they were high rank monsters but their stat growths are terrible.

The needle dolls are killers, at least for me. They look like this:

a00418-1.jpg

Thanks to them i beat the demo. The last battle was hard, but thanks to one of my two needle dolls resisitng hits and tons of healing items, i managed to survive.

I can make a size 2 Estsark/Orochi, or a size 3 Drakulard (Who I would make puprle) then!

I would also make a size 2 Snow Bird, which is always what I imagined my Blizzardy from DWM to be like.

I am mostly wanting to get  Zemerugiasu and make him size 4, he looks very cool

(Off topic, but for people who have played DQM 1/2 3DS, how is Zemerugiasu?)

The needle dolls are killers, at least for me. They look like this:

a00418-1.jpg

Thanks to them i beat the demo. The last battle was hard, but thanks to one of my two needle dolls resisitng hits and tons of healing items, i managed to survive.

Thanks! I'll try them out.

And to the above, it wasn't possible to upsize monsters to 4 slots in DQM2, so I'm not sure if it will be possible here.

Really glad to see some great first impressions. I always hold off on demos for games I know I'm buying so my hype doesn't reach critical mass. Can't wait for my copy to arrive next week! Really excited about being able to make our own palette swaps of monsters, I had no idea that that's a new feature. Do we have any word on how many monsters are in this one? I'm a bit nervous it'll be less than Iru to Ruka.

Edited by 1upsuper

This is off topic, but how big are size 4 monsters on avergae compared to size 3 monsters? Are they only a bit bigger, or are they utterly far larger?

This screenshot should answer that fairly well.

screenshot_2016_03_23_at_6_00_38_pm_by_j

• Upvote 1

Alright! So I downloaded the demo to my Japanese 3DS yesterday, it's a lot of fun! The visuals are quite nice, the mounts are fun, and the world is full of little things to find. I'd have a larger post for this, but initial reactions have already been talked about quite a bit on the previous page so I don't want to do anything too in depth.

Also, a question; is this destination marker in DQM1 and 2 3D? If it is, I might decide to import them soon, because the marker helps me along since I can't read Japanese very well. :)

It's just a bonus thing; you can set monsters to up, left, or right on the Control Pad, while down always has you jump off and go on foot. I'm sure it's needed at some points though, some monsters can fly or dive underwater, so I would think different mechanics like that make it mandatory to get to certain places.

Plus, I mean, why WOULDN'T you ride one? They can make you go faster, and it looks awesome! :)

Edited by gooieooie

It's mandatory to reach certain spots, yeah. Like at the beginning, there are ledges you can't reach until you unlock riding. Even then, there's a distant ledge that you can't reach unless you catch a 'floaty' mount with a longer jump rage. Also underwater and flying mounts are unlocked with the standard Monsters tournament ranks that you clear, gradually expanding how many places you can reach. (Talking about the main game not the demo)

Edited by The n00b Avenger

This is off topic, but how big are size 4 monsters on avergae compared to size 3 monsters? Are they only a bit bigger, or are they utterly far larger?

Going off DQM2, here's a comparison of a size 3 monster with a size 4 monster:

But from Jay's sceenshot it appears that they have downsized them. Probably because the DQM2 size would be too large to realistically mount. You can mount and unmount your monster at any time (except underwater or while you are flying, obviously), so if you really hate the feature then you don't have to use it all the time. But I'm sure there are some monsters out there you would like to ride. If a giant onion or a blue haired zombie is too outlandish for you, you can always ride a unicorn or a phoenix. I'm curious how you will ride some monsters though, like the ones that roll such as bombcrag or boxslime.

Going off DQM2, here's a comparison of a size 3 monster with a size 4 monster:

But from Jay's sceenshot it appears that they have downsized them. Probably because the DQM2 size would be too large to realistically mount. You can mount and unmount your monster at any time (except underwater or while you are flying, obviously), so if you really hate the feature then you don't have to use it all the time. But I'm sure there are some monsters out there you would like to ride. If a giant onion or a blue haired zombie is too outlandish for you, you can always ride a unicorn or a phoenix. I'm curious how you will ride some monsters though, like the ones that roll such as bombcrag or boxslime.

I plan on making a size 2 Snowbird, and name it Blaz. Since in DWM they were always my favorite monster.

I have a question about sizes, are upsized monsters able to have 4 skillsets? What would be good skillsets for a snowbird (I plan on uber agility, ice III, and some other things). And how many traits/skillsets do size 4 monsters have?

Monsters can have up to 2 + their size # of skill sets, so a size 2 snowbird has 4. In DQM2 they had 4 + size # of traits at full strength (not including their body size trait), though I'm not sure if they will give that many in the next game. I recommend taking an MP management skill set in combination with Ice 3 since MP costs were quite high in DQM2. Some of the ward skill sets have the trait that halves MP costs, or you can go for uber MP boost.

I can't say about traits, but I can say that upsized monsters do get extra skillsets. If you take your snowbird and make it 2-slots, it will get 4 skillsets. And 4-slot monsters get 6 skillsets

Would you like a DQM J 3 subforum instead?

Would you like a DQM J 3 subforum instead?

Maybe? DQMJ3 is one game though, and for past games like DQM2 3DS there was just one big megathread