DQJM3 Demo Impressions topic

Ok so I just played about 40 minutes of the demo (which got released finally on the JPN eshop less than 3 hours ago) and wow, I am pleasantly surprised!  Note that I haven't put a ton of time into Dragon Quest Monsters games in general, but I do own the latest 3DS and DS ones, and I'll tell you all that there is a significant jump in quality and new concepts on this game.   Here's what stood out:

-Ok so there first thing that stood out to me is this game has little to zero Steroscopic 3D... which I basically expected, as DQM2 remake and DQVIII were the same.  However, unlike those two games (especially DQM2 Iru to Tara), the graphics actually look really sharp, and not so blurry without the stereoscopic 3D effect.  Everything from the logo on the screen, to your player character especially, the environments and monsters look great!  I still would have prefered real stereoscopic 3D though (I know a lot of people don't care about it though)

-Platforming!  That's right, even without being on a mount you can jump by pressing B (though you won't jump nearly as high without being on a mount).  The main area that the demo takes place in is a mountainous area, so there is some platforming and jumping around to find areas with chests or certain monsters.  Heck, even in the first town you visit, there's a bunch of treasure chests on top of houses that you need to jump onto it. It makes the exploration feel a lot more fresh, and very fun.  

-Speaking of the mounts, it's very easy to ride one.  Just press left or right on the D-Pad (in the demo, you're given 2 mounts from the get go.  The great sabrecat, and another monster that is more of an underwater type mount).  It's very simple and you can get on/off your mounts mid air.  If you press the A button with your mount you'll do a little attack, and if you hit a monster on the field with it before engaging in battle then you'll stun that enemy a bit (so you can either run by, or get into an advantageous encounter with that monster) 

-Then there's the scouter like device.  It's not just for show, and it acts just like how you'd imagine a scouter would work.  You press a touch pad button to enter the scouting mode and go into a first person perspective where you can examine monsters, objects, including uncovering hidden treasure chests and items (where all time stops, so you can't be forced into a battle during this mode as far as I can tell.  And you can use it mid air too without falling).  For monsters it's really great for a game like DQJM, because it'll tell you what level the monster you're scanning is,( and more info about how much EXP/gold, type...etc.. when you defeat that monster) so when you run into those like, super large monsters that you know shouldn't be in the beginner area of the game, you can actually scan them and see what level they are.

-More of a side tidbit, but I was really surprised how when naming yourself/monsters, there's actually two different pages with many different kanjis you can use! (In addition of course, to the Hiragana, Katakana, and english alphabets).  Always a nice addition for making longer names especially

Those are the main unique things about this DQ Monsters game that really stood out to me, but I also wanna mention that the leveling up seems quite a lot faster, and when recruiting/scouting monsters, it just feels like you have a higher % chance that you had in the previous games.  I'm not sure if those two things are unique to the demo or not, but they certainly make the grind a ton faster.

Overall I have to say, this is so far by far the most fun DQ Monsters game I've played, just going off this demo alone.  I love the environments, and just jumping on things.  It feels really fresh..  And what do you guys think of it?

Edited by Neko
  • Upvote 1

I agree with everything you said except the stereoscopic 3D because i can't see it anyway xD

I just discovered you can dive by pressing B when you ride the dolphin-like monster and you're on a water surface. There are crabs underwater.

The tweaks to the battle system (combos, the silly finishing move) are pretty cool. 

DQM2 is my favorite 3ds game so far, maybe this one can be even better.

Fusing a slime with a Bullfinch with an Archdemon was pretty wild  :laugh:

Edited by Awesomeinblue

Are you able to recolour monsters? I'd really like new deets on that.

Are you able to recolour monsters? I'd really like new deets on that.

Sadly, no. That feature is only in the full game :(

I just beat the demo a few minutes ago. The last battle was intense. You have to fight against a

4-slot Night Clubber (aka a red Baalzack). It was friggin' huge and strong.

Interesting info that i collected from the demo:
- You can ride any monster on land.
- You can set 3 monsters on the d-pad.
- You dont need to have your rides in your team.
- You can jump multiple times.
- Flying monsters fly up and water monsters dive by pressing B.
- Synthesis makes no sense (Slime + Bullfinch = Archdemon???).
- Some monsters have new sizes (like Archdemon, Killing Machine 2, Green Dragon, etc).
- Monsters can perform combos that make the battle a bit faster.
- In previous games you could equip your monsters with weapons, this time you give them rings.
- You can access your stored monsters anytime.
- Like in DQM2-3D, you can speed up the battle (x2) if you press R when giving your monsters your commands.
- Even the hero can jump.
- The "reactor" serves t find hidden treasures (many of them contained rings), invisible paths and to read the info of the monsters nearby (level, exp, gold, etc).

I hope im not forgetting anything important
Edited by Awesomeinblue

I know Arcdemon got resized, but what happened to Green Dragon. Is he a 1 slot now?

New things that I've noticed.

- When mounted, you can use the circle pad to either make your monster walk or run. Some monsters have different walk and running animations.
- Casting animations are now played all the way to the end instead of cutting off halfway like it did from joker 2 onwards. Looks much better.
- Monster portraits are redesigned.
- All joker 1 monsters (in the demo) have had their animations improved. Seems some of the other monsters did, too.
- Casting animations and special skill animations are identical now. Jargon now takes a drink from it's jar when it casts a spell instead of doing that weird dance it did before.
- Monsters do a dash attack during combat sometimes. I think it's supposed to be a finishing blow? It has a different animation.
- Skills now show what type and element they are with an icon next to the skill name.
- Resistances were completely reworked. There are no frizz, crack, whoosh, etc anymore, instead it's fire, water, ice, wind, etc. Other resistances were removed/changed/combined. It's mainly in kanji so I can't read it. Icons were added to the resistance tab, such as a fire icon for fire resistance, bubbles for poison resistance, a down-pointing arrow with MP next to it for magic drain resistance, etc.
- Just like in DQM2, you can jump. Unlike DQM2, you can jump onto higher elevation. Riding a monster makes you jump higher. You can jump over monsters. Jumping on them triggers battles with no extra effect.
- The outlines look great when models are close. They look rough and fuzzy on far away monsters. I'm divided about them.
- Yes, you can ride every monster. Even humanoid ones like the orc.
- You can use the analog stick on the new 3DS to move the camera.
- There is a new tactic, tension-something. It makes monsters raise tension when not given direct orders, or defend if their tension is maxed. You can change the tactics of your whole team at once by moving the cursor all the way up or down.

- There is a combo system just like DQM2, but it is different. It only applies to monsters that target the same enemy, and I don't think there is any bonus damage?
- Traits were reworked. Great sabrecat has girogiro (scare stare) which it didn't have before. Other monsters have new or different traits too.
- You can swim. Monsters you ride can swim. You can only dive with water based monsters though. Monsters have swimming animations! The spiked hare looks really cute.
- Graphics look fantastic, as already stated. No stereoscopic 3D from what I've seen. The style is a bit closer to joker 1, with less pronounced shading and more vibrant colors.
- Monsters respond to the monster you are riding. I've seen them scare away other monsters, or attract them.
- The game shows whether a move is effective against a monster or not when you hover over the move during move selection. It also shows how many targets a move hits.
- Crabids no longer walk sideways :( they do look absolutely rabid in their new idle animation however.
- Jargon is now a size 2 monster (and really damn hard to scout, too). So is archdemon.
- There are new spells. The crabid gets an offensive water spell, "zeba".
- The overworld music is the key world music from DQM2. The town music also comes from the same game. Very cool.
- You can now select low level monsters for synthesis. It doesn't let you synthesize them, but it shows the combinations.
- You can now always pick from one your two base monsters as synthesis result (like phoenix scepter except more convenient).

and lastly

- Attack animations were reworked entirely. Before, the attack animation included the monster moving and attacking. Now, the monster plays its generic running animation and runs to the enemy in a straight line, then when it stops in front of the enemy and plays a generic attack animation. I think this was done due to the new riding mechanic, since you can order monsters you are riding to attack, so they had to add attack animations that did not involve the monster hopping, crawling, sliding, flying, etc. But one of the things I liked the monster about the 3D games were the monster animations. I really liked the animations of monsters like arrowdog (it did a somersault while firing arrows https://youtu.be/y6DEBw7LWF4?t=18m22s)or evilwell diving back into its well before popping out and lunging at the enemy, so I really hope those were not changed into a generic move & punch animation, or else I'm going to be pissed.

Edited by Cobi

Im guessing they made a whole demo, not just taken a part of the game and isolated it like they did with Builders.

Can I play this using my old 3ds xl. I used that to play DQM2 3DS.

Yes, i'm using an old 3ds xl

I know Arcdemon got resized, but what happened to Green Dragon. Is he a 1 slot now?

3 slots. Its HUGE.

- Monsters do a dash attack during combat sometimes. I think it's supposed to be a finishing blow? It has a different animation.

- Resistances were completely reworked. There are no frizz, crack, whoosh, etc anymore, instead it's fire, water, ice, wind, etc. Other resistances were removed/changed/combined. It's mainly in kanji so I can't read it. Icons were added to the resistance tab, such as a fire icon for fire resistance, bubbles for poison resistance, a down-pointing arrow with MP next to it for magic drain resistance, etc.
- You can use the analog stick on the new 3DS to move the camera.

When a monsters is about to defeat another using a normal attack, it plays the finishing blow animation.

Glad they remade the resistances. It was too overwhelming in DQM2.

Oooooh so there is a way to move the camera? Now i wish i had a new 3ds xD Nevermind, i just learned you can move the camera by pressing Y + the d-pad (aside from L and R rotating it)

Edited by Awesomeinblue

I was wondering

1. Are size four monsters coming back?

2. Will there be something like a "pokemon-transfer" where you can get your monsters from DQMJ2?

I'm wondering if some of you guys would be willing for rustling up some stat spreads for us Denizens

I was wondering

2. Will there be something like a "pokemon-transfer" where you can get your monsters from DQMJ2?

1- In the demo there's at least a four sized monster (Night Clubber), and the 2nd trailer showed Mirakurea (è–竜ミラクレア) from DQM2, i'd say they are. Not sure if the 4-slot versions of the dark lords will return.

2- There are tools to transfer from DQMJ2 to DQM-3D and from DQM-3D to DQM2-3D. I was unable to transfer monsters from an EU copy of DQMJ2 to a JP copy of DQM-3D. I expect them to make a DQM2-3D to DQMJ3 tool too. These tools only let you transfer Rank A (or lower) monsters.

I'm wondering if some of you guys would be willing for rustling up some stat spreads for us Denizens

Would the stats that pop up in the upper screen when you're about to breed/synthesize work?

Edited by Awesomeinblue

I was wondering

1- In the demo there's at least a four sized monster (Night Clubber), and the 2nd trailer showed Mirakurea (è–竜ミラクレア) from DQM2, i'd say they are. Not sure if the 4-slot versions of the dark lords will return.

2- There are tools to transfer from DQMJ2 to DQM-3D and from DQM-3D to DQM2-3D. I was unable to transfer monsters from an EU copy of DQMJ2 to a JP copy of DQM-3D. I expect them to make a DQM2-3D to DQMJ3 tool too. These tools only let you transfer Rank A (or lower) monsters.

Would the stats that pop up in the upper screen when you're about to breed/synthesize work?

Why won't they let you bring in higher rank monsters? That is kind of counter intuitive, as what if a person spent an arm and a leg to get Libranex or Aquarion?

Well that is kind of the point. The S+ monsters are made difficult to get on purpose. Being able to bring them in instantly because you had them in a previous game trivializes the process. Not to mention that you can bring in one copy of them a day. Being able to get 7 of an ultra rare monster in a week without any effort is kind of hollow and would kind of break the game as far as breeding goes.

Edited by The n00b Avenger

I was wondering

Anything would be nice, really

The n00b avenger explained it quite well :tounge2:  The Rank A cap also applies when scouting other players' monsters. (In DQM2-3D you couldn't scout the rainbow egg or the V-Dragon (V-Jump magazine's mascot)

I made a quick imgur album http://imgur.com/a/xEmaO

^ That's interesting but there is a hidden mechanic in the game, similar to pokemon's IVs, that gives monsters a random variance in their stat caps, so assuming that's still present the numbers are +- 100.

If the Better/Best system returns from pro, along with those stat fluxs,....we're looking at a very versatile game.

We won't be seeing better/best, we'll be seeing Iruruka's system of just adding an extra trait at certain plus thresholds, I'm pretty sure. The change in stat caps doesn't happen until Ultimate Synthesis where you reach 100+(assuming it's the same as before)

Though in return, you can do that thing where you choose a trait from a different monster to inherit so you can end up with some pretty customized monsters.

Also new to this game is that in Ultimate Synthesis you can apparently change the size of the monster to whatever you want, so you can make 3 slot monsters into 1 slot monsters and vice versa.

So yeah. There will be a lot of versatility, at least in the post-game.

Also something not mentioned in this topic(maybe because it's old news) that makes for a pretty different experience is the lack of gender. No more bothering about getting the right gender to fuse. Soooo liberating.

Edited by The n00b Avenger

That's really...weird. I can't imagine a size 1 Rhpathorne II. I find it funny that even though they're changing up everyone's sizes, and introducing the ability to change colours, they're still given us the size change option and so many pallet swap monsters.

I don't recall having the option to shrink monsters in DQM2-3D. I remember enlarging them, but shrinking them? I've never seen or done that.

If I am disappointed with the two slot Gigadraco, I might just shrink him down.