Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

Nintendo's localizations.

I saw that, Dwaine! You quoted your own post on accident somehow within the post and now you're trying to cover up your disgrace.

Ha, I saw that too. Trying to hide his quote of him quoting himself...

In regards to what some people were saying about the "reworked" translation mentioned in the Nintendo Direct. I think what they meant was it's been completely redone to match the current style. In fact, it matches what some Square Enix staff were saying when asked about the game. They're trying to sell it as an all new game rather than just a port. With the Fire Emblem and Bravely Second news happening at the same time, people took it the wrong way.

No kidding i was kind of annoyed by folks reaction when SE has already mentioned there was going to be a new translation to get it up to date.

Yep, and we're already seeing the evidence of this based on what I wrote earlier in my last response to Matt.  That the translation seems to be taking a serious approach to the new conventions of accenting and the Plus Alpha touch of being more fluid and realistic.  They're taking the advice I was hoping they would...treating it like it's a new release, which technically, given the age of the original, makes sense, and the look, style, feel, and newness of the translation with the current conventions is really new.

In regards to what some people were saying about the "reworked" translation mentioned in the Nintendo Direct. I think what they meant was it's been completely redone to match the current style. In fact, it matches what some Square Enix staff were saying when asked about the game. They're trying to sell it as an all new game rather than just a port. With the Fire Emblem and Bravely Second news happening at the same time, people took it the wrong way.

No kidding i was kind of annoyed by folks reaction when SE has already mentioned there was going to be a new translation to get it up to date.

Yep, and we're already seeing the evidence of this based on what I wrote earlier in my last response to Matt.  That the translation seems to be taking a serious approach to the new conventions of accenting and the Plus Alpha touch of being more fluid and realistic.  They're taking the advice I was hoping they would...treating it like it's a new release, which technically, given the age of the original, makes sense, and the look, style, feel, and newness of the translation with the current conventions is really new.

I know what i would be doing once the mobile version is out in English.   Getting those monster hearts and pick up the skills that can't be carried over

God Numen, this was a long thread to read.

I can tell you one thing: DQ7 on 3DS will feel like a watered-down version of DW7 on PSX. It's definitely not a bad game by any means, but without even looking at the new script, so much has changed - I hesitate to say for worse, but it's definitely not for the better. As I've mentioned in other threads, my favorite feature of the game has been removed as with every other DQ game released after VIII (PS2) - it is no longer possible to pick up and throw objects. This is bad not only because of the small loss in immersion, but it also means many of the puzzles in the game which centered around moving objects were dumbed down to "walk here, stand on button". Other puzzles, including nearly the entirety of the first two hours of the original game, were removed entirely (the prologue, which would take about two hours in the original, takes about half an hour now, and most of that is walking back and forth between locations). Also, the immigrant town (also known as the Sim Town) has been overly-simplified, and the player no longer has any real control over the development and must instead let it build to a single predetermined final form.

I am worried that with the new localization of DQ7, many of the archaic and mysterious sounding lines of text will instead be replaced with what the localizers think are witty puns/jokes. And while I can generally respect that writing style, I will be severely disappointed if the serious tone of DQ7 is lost for the sake of a QuickJoke. :lrsmile:

That being said, besides a few annoying name changes, we haven't seen enough of the script to judge yet. But I have a feeling that despite the puns, the new script will be "good enough" at minimum. And I know I've complained about the cut features, but it doesn't change the fact that the game still has a pretty damn epic story, so don't skip this one!

• Upvote 1

Eh, it's just a case of that DQ7 trailer coming out at just the wrong time.  People were just starting to blow up about FE and then they hear "new translation" for DQ7.  Nothing has changed.  We've known it was going to get a new translation before it was even officially coming.  "Duuude, nothing is ****ed."

My apologies for my somewhat incoherent post earlier; I was rushing while trying to not be late for TAFE.

People were mentioning something earlier about the 'Canadian Devil'. What was that about? I couldn't work out the context; the only game that people mentioned just before the comments was Boom Beach, but that was made in Finland.

Somewhat related to this topic: Streetpass. Let's face it, did anyone ever get the 30 tags in DQ9 the legitimate way? As in, they just walked around with it in their pocket randomly and happened to meet someone who was also in tag mode, nowhere near any sort of intentional DQ gathering organised for the purpose of tagging? It's hard enough with Streetpass, let alone a specific game back before Streetpass was even known as Streetpass. Even when I went to Japan in early 2013, I only tagged a single person (to be fair, DQ7 was out by then).

If they're going to put Streetpass features in the Western release, I'd like them to put some sort of extra easiness method for us, like re:coded's free tags with people that don't exist (although I think that was also in the Japanese version), or Project Mirai's nerf from 100 for the highest Streetpass achievement to 50 (even then, it's Project Mirai, which has the sort of adorable cuteness that makes people feel uncomfortable playing it and/or activating streetpass for it, so you'd be hard pressed to find even 25). And I hope they don't accidentally make it HARDER for us like they did with KH:DDD (which used the same system as the afore-mentioned re:coded, but only in Japan).

I'm not sure I'd cal it 'censorship', but it's definitely a case where I don't want 1:1 similarity to Japan's version.

Yeah I don't think streetpass was made with western audiences in mind. The population density is a lot higher in Japan, so I definitely think the streetpass systems could use a change when being localized, but usually they aren't that big a part of the game (at least in my experience with 3DS games) I've managed to get tons of streetpasses on things like Mii Plaza, Pokemon Omega Ruby, Bravely Default, and Smash Bros, but that's only because I go to high school. The only tags I've managed to get in Dragon Quest IX were my sister and our friend.

Doesn't DQVII have more than just a street pass feature? One where you can connect to the Internet once a day and exchange tags/maps that way, like BD and being able to get villagers and Nemesis by connecting online once every 24 hours.

Edited by Tiael

The only way I ever get Streetpasses is from one of our own 3ds's, here in the house.  I usually keep mine at home and don't think I've ever gotten a random Streetpass.  I like the whole idea, but it's never been feasible where I live.

The only streetpasses I've ever gotten were from nfrazee of GameFAQs when he visited me down here in Santa Fe (DQ9 and 6...and I can't recall if we traded DQ 4 and 5 as well).  Zenith from here and GameFAQs, when he visited my town as well, but I only had DQ9 with me, sadly, and with Liamland in my DQ6 cart when I sent it to him...I think Liam did put a dreamcard on mine?  I don't recall, and I don't know if my current loaded saves are the same batch of 3 saves I had loaded up when I sent my cart to Liamland (I have a save manager).

Yeah, streetpass in the US, for most of us is difficult to work out.  Those who go to conventions, those who live in or near major cities, or those who can travel or a meetup in a major city probably do, or nearly so.  I know there were a few meetings in Denver organized over the years, and Liamland organized a monthly or weekly meeting in NYC.  There were a few, awhile back, organized for San Francisco, and one for Chicago as I recall.  Though definitely, it has to be addressed for US audiences, and even European audiences.

What about the experiences with streetpass for EU members?  Any of you guys legitimately max out your pass counts for the Inn, Dreamcards, or even traded for early township maxing in DQ4?

Doesn't DQVII have more than just a street pass feature? One where you can connect to the Internet once a day and exchange tags/maps that way, like BD and being able to get villagers and Nemesis by connecting online once every 24 hours.

That's a good question. 

Usually I get my Streetpasses just by taking my 3DS to Best Buy and walking around. I've tagged lots of Iowa folks that way, including one who nearly had a perfect 100% file in Etrian Odyssey Untold 2, one with some really good items in their Animal Crossing New Leaf house, and so on.

Go to a convention and you'll get plenty of Streetpasses.

Depends on where you live.  I've brought my DS around with me almost everywhere I go, and in all the years I've had it, only one random street pass triggered.

I get a fair amount of streetpasses by going to McDonald's. I'm lovin' it.

I see Varuna has been banned.  May I ask why?

He was banned for the egregious offense of "being DevilSpree".   In that regard, it's not at all his actions in this thread that caused him to be banned.  Simply being DevilSpree is a bannable offense.

I should've seen this earlier.

Varuna, I can guarantee, may have similar opinions and positions to Mortamor/DevilSpree/Darck/Fur, but the two are VERY different in their approaches to arguments and mannerisms.  They are NOT the same person.

Edited by ignasia7

If I may interject. While I would prefer if they kept the prologue a bit longer, it WAS really bad in the original. It's two hours before that first slime fight. As of the ability to pick up pots, I'm a little disappointed that that was gone. I liked running into some random house, picking up a pot and walking out with it. As for the Sim Town. If they handle it like Bravely, it will be fine.

• Upvote 1

If I may interject. While I would prefer if they kept the prologue a bit longer, it WAS really bad in the original. It's two hours before that first slime fight. 

In a funny way, I actually enjoyed that when I first played it. Keep in mind this was the first new DQ game we were playing in America since the 8-bit era, a significant gap of time. Wandering through that ruin that chronicled battles of old, with all the murals of foes familiar and gone, it was a bit rather like reminiscing of the first four games way back when. It also built up that anticipation for the first battle, anxious to finally dive into the old gaming habits that'd been absent for so long.

Fighting a first group of Slimes never felt so epic!

Edited by Sykonee

He might be afraid the hammer will drop at any time...and the metal killing spree begins...

Hammer? Hammer!?

Seriously? Against my speed? Yeah, good luck with that.

This discussion has us all worked up! We need to calm down a bit before it gets out of hand.

Do you prefer deep characters, or do you prefer one-dimensional characters?

I like flat characters. I personally thought Paper Mario had a great script, thank you very much.

I see Varuna has been banned. May I ask why?

Perhaps it was due to his lack of comprehension that Romance languages have different vowel sounds. (Specifically that whole "I" in French fiasco. I take languages very seriously)
The only one getting worked up is Platty. He needs to calm down.
I've not yet begun to care! Feel the rage of my grammatically correct "couldn't care less". Feel the burn of my indifference. 😴😴😴

I get a fair amount of streetpasses by going to McDonald's. I'm lovin' it.

Are you by any chances affiliated with this company and get paid for this? ;)

Once again though, and I said this earlier... Remember that some games are being targeted to a specific audience. The 3DS itself? I'm going to be honest here, how many working adults do you see pulling out DSs in public? The 3DS is a system marketed to children. Just as the Gameboy was back in the day.

Yay! I can happily say I am now one of them working adults who pull out (New 3)DSs in public. At the cafeteria at work. During bus rides I read a book while my console stays inside my backpack. In StreetPass mode. Not that I get many StreetPasses... :(

Once again though, and I said this earlier... Remember that some games are being targeted to a specific audience. The 3DS itself? I'm going to be honest here, how many working adults do you see pulling out DSs in public? The 3DS is a system marketed to children. Just as the Gameboy was back in the day.

Yay! I can happily say I am now one of them working adults who pull out (New 3)DSs in public. At the cafeteria at work. During bus rides I read a book while my console stays inside my backpack. In StreetPass mode. Not that I get many StreetPasses... :(

When I was working I had my DS on me, and I'd pull it out in a break.

Finished reading (skipping some parts of a few long posts) these 12 pages!

I've not yet begun to care! Feel the rage of my grammatically correct "couldn't care less". Feel the burn of my indifference.

I think this is the second time "couldn't care less" was used correctly in this thread alone. I was happy to see it the first time.

English is not my first language, and even I can see "could care less" means the opposite of what people use it (wrongly) for.

--

As for DQ VII... I will *try* to keep this short, since my opinion has been expressed before.

That game's text does not need the puns localizers have been adding to DQ games. The other DQs did not need them, either, but I think DQ VII, while being very dark, is also very fun. It has funny dialogue mixed in, exactly where it should be.

And also, I have never understood why people see its old translation as "dry". I really found it great (not counting typos and grammar errors). It let us know the characters. It let each character have their own voice. It portrayed sadness, anger, happiness and hilarity. And all of that without the need to convert everything into a joke or a forced accent.

Leave the puns to the character (or characters) who use and abuse them in DQ VII. Some of you may know whom I am talking about. He seemed to really love puns and He seemed to be the only One who did. That was His defining characteristic. If everyone else uses puns now, what will happen to Him?

When I was working I had my DS on me, and I'd pull it out in a break.

See my profile picture?

See that thing I have hanging on my shoulder?

That is my Nintendo DS (Smile Slime) pouch. :)

• Upvote 1

Localization isn't censorship. Removal or completely changing something is censorship.

Censorship is when someone forces you to change something against your will. When you change something that you own, of your own free will, that's called freedom of speech. 

Nintendo is a large, worldwide corporation. They have many employees all over the world, and they are a publicly traded company. They have a responsibility to their employees and their shareholders to make their games as profitable as they can so that they can stay in business. Any changes made to their games for different regions is to make them more appealing. If you don't like it, you always have the choice to play the game in it's original state. I do sympathize with fans who think they are getting an inferior product but the arguments I've seen surrounding this game are spurious and juvenile. No matter how disappointed you may be with this game, it does not negate Nintendo's right to publish it in any way they see fit. 

• Upvote 2