Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

Nintendo's localizations.

My main concern, as others have stated, is the possibility of localizations getting worse as we continue to settle for more and more of it, but that is only speculation at this point in time.

Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

• Upvote 1

My main concern, as others have stated, is the possibility of localizations getting worse as we continue to settle for more and more of it, but that is only speculation at this point in time.

Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

And here we have it. This is what the main issue is.

• Upvote 1

I have four points to make... or HAD, since I forgot the first. I know I thought of it before the other three, but reading back through the early pages isn't helping my memory.

The ... conversation... Doing some quick research, it seems it was probably just Youtube's sense of humour, but I could have sworn there was a C support back in FE7 that also had two assassins just saying '...' to each other. Maybe it is in the game and it just wasn't Jaffar that was one of the characters, but more likely it was just an ironic in hindsight Youtube video.

Streetpass. I'm running out of time, so I'll talk about it later.

Ratings. Since Europe isn't getting FEF till May, I wouldn't be surprised if PAL region is getting a new translation from scratch. Again. But if it IS the same, then issues about 'the game would still be rated T' don't apply, because other countries can do weird things. Take a look at the thing about that Atelier game in Australia that got bumped from PG (PS3) to R (Vita). That's 2/5 to 5/5 on the Australian rating scale. The reason for the change is a reinterpretation of one cutscene that I'm out of time to find, but find it. The rating change shouldn't have been done, but I honestly can't blame the people who made the change for thinking that that scene was a rape scene.

eVUo2pE.pngSomeone asked Nintendo of America and they responded in an email that the localization in EU won't differ from NA. So the chance are that it's the exact same.

I think there is a better way to handle the game localization for a specific territory while meeting the spirit of the original.  It requires creating writing and thinking out side the box.

Edited by sounderfan84

This discussion has us all worked up! We need to calm down a bit before it gets out of hand.

Do you prefer deep characters, or do you prefer one-dimensional characters?

I like flat characters. I personally thought Paper Mario had a great script, thank you very much.

I see Varuna has been banned.  May I ask why?

Perhaps it was due to his lack of comprehension that Romance languages have different vowel sounds. (Specifically that whole "I" in French fiasco. I take languages very seriously)

Edited by The Chief
  • Upvote 1

This discussion has us all worked up! We need to calm down a bit before it gets out of hand.

Do you prefer deep characters, or do you prefer one-dimensional characters?

I like flat characters. I personally thought Paper Mario had a great script, thank you very much.

I see Varuna has been banned. May I ask why?

Perhaps it was due to his lack of comprehension that Romance languages have different vowel sounds. (Specifically that whole "I" in French fiasco. I take languages very seriously)

The only one getting worked up is Platty. He needs to calm down.

Edited by eal

He might be afraid the hammer will drop at any time...and the metal killing spree begins...

• Upvote 1

It's tough to be slime with experience, it is known.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how SE will handle DQ7's updated translation/localization.

DQ7 was kind of like DQ5. Pretty dark.

I'm hoping 3DS emulation (PC side) has updated enough for me to play it, after buying a hard copy of course.

Yeah I'm with Eal here. The game looks enjoyable as is. What content is cut I dont like would bother me much.

Honestly if people werent complaining about it then I wouldnt even know it. So its pretty seemless.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how SE will handle DQ7's updated translation/localization.

I'm hoping 3DS emulation (PC side) has updated enough for me to play it, after buying a hard copy of course.

I expect desk head banging puns

Sadly yes. : /

Judging from Tieal's responses from 8-4 and Plus Alpha, and the pictures recently released, especially the one with Patrick talking about Maeve, I would imagine Plus Alpha.  It really reads like a more thorough attempt to showcase language from the perspective of an excited and anxious child, and how a child would think.  Children often, in my experience, speak in run-on's trying to get out three or four thoughts at once.  Kind of reminds me of the years I used to babysit for friends, and a camp counselor.  I think I did so, but I can't recall that far.  Anyway, it really feels like trying to capture that thought process, which seems to be the direction Plus Alpha has been going for in their approach to localization: realistic portrayal of dialogue and language, while being funny, punny, and keeping on point to the accents and original intent.

It really reads like that extra mile PA would do that 8-4 wouldn't and Treehouse certainly wouldn't conceive of.

(Banging intensifies)

C'mon guys, have some faith.  I'm sure they realize DQ9 was taking things a little too far, and from what we've seen so far, it doesn't look quite as pun filled in dialogue so much as accent and accuracy to speech style, another Plus Alpha approach to localization.

I mean they have to know just how many people complained about the level of puntasy present in DQ9.

That said, I don't know, but DQ7 is probably the most serious DQ so maybe we'll be surprised, and the puns are toned down to a reasonable level.  As much as I love them, and I do, 9 was overload.

I will be forever grateful to DQ9 for Jack of Alltrades and Master of Nu'un.

• Upvote 1

Puns (like most comedy) are best if used with comedic timing. If you splatter them all over the place they lose their effect.

Quality over quantity guys.

I will be forever grateful to DQ9 for Jack of Alltrades and Master of Nu'un.

He should've been headmaster of Swinedimples.

It's actually kind of interesting that puns are such a polarizing part of the DQ fandom considering the fact the Japanese are crazy about puns and wordplay. A lot of comedy is pun-related. Japan as a whole is fascinated by what's in a word. Kanji can be broken up or strokes can be shuffled around to mean something else entirely.

I like to think that the developers are really into the puns and wordplay in the English versions, but I doubt they even really care that the games are in North America.

Edited by eal

Oh i expect a number of puny names.  Hopefully it won't be as bad as Dr Agon from DQ5 or count uptaten

How about Zere Rocks?

I didn't make the connection on the pun until about a year after I beat DQ9

Edited by Bururian

In regards to what some people were saying about the "reworked" translation mentioned in the Nintendo Direct. I think what they meant was it's been completely redone to match the current style. In fact, it matches what some Square Enix staff were saying when asked about the game. They're trying to sell it as an all new game rather than just a port. With the Fire Emblem and Bravely Second news happening at the same time, people took it the wrong way.

Edited by Dwaine
  • Upvote 2

I saw that, Dwaine! You quoted your own post on accident somehow within the post and now you're trying to cover up your disgrace.

In regards to what some people were saying about the "reworked" translation mentioned in the Nintendo Direct. I think what they meant was it's been completely redone to match the current style. In fact, it matches what some Square Enix staff were saying when asked about the game. They're trying to sell it as an all new game rather than just a port. With the Fire Emblem and Bravely Second news happening at the same time, people took it the wrong way.

No kidding i was kind of annoyed by folks reaction when SE has already mentioned there was going to be a new translation to get it up to date.

• Upvote 1