Nintendo's localizations.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good localization: Everyone enjoys the game.   Bad localization: People that don't care enjoy the game. People that do care enjoy it less.    But with people actually defending changes like "..

I didn't say it would be my last post, just the last big one. To address your last comment, I would have bought the game regardless of what they did or did not cut. Gameplay is important but so is sto

I disagree. You can argue that it was "just" amplified, and I'll argue that it destroyed the rest of her character. She isn't shy anymore. Shy isn't soft spoken anymore. She's just this muscle packed

@Jay

To me that sentence seems totally out of character. Not acceptable in my opinion. If that kind of speech is consistent throughout the whole game, well, that's fine, but if it just appears in this one reference? Nope.

Well, aside from reference, those sort of violent outbursts are right up Edea's alley. ESPECIALLY towards Ringabel. Depending on exactly what Yew said, I can absolutely see her responding like that.

We are going to see a newer localization for DQ7, with the new spellnames and the new areas and such.

DQ is different than FF, or FE. I'm sure it'll be a punfest like DQ DS/Mobile is.

Calem, you mentioned something about the alcohol and religion removals from back in the day.

How old you be? Curious on that, as you specifically mentioned BoF2, which got me thinking.

BoF2 was pretty much one of the main JRPGs I played that I remember having ANY kind of religious theme from back then, and now that I look back on it? Pretty powerful. Then I was all "GO FIGHT BAD GUY DRAGONS YAY". Now? It has a much more deeper meaning.

It was pretty much the only game I remember going that far too. Crosses and stuff, meh. But fighting a "god" who subverted the entire world? EPIC.

We are going to see a newer localization for DQ7, with the new spellnames and the new areas and such.

DQ is different than FF, or FE. I'm sure it'll be a punfest like DQ DS/Mobile is.

Well, DQ4/5/8/9, anyway...

Unfortunately, Nintendo uses 8-4 and has already used them on DQ before: DQ6.

@Calem: That... still doesn't seem to fit here at all. I think the wonderful localizers thought mealy was an old-sounding expletive, but... it's not.

Way to crap all over The Honeymooners, Binari Sonori and Nintendo. :(

How much do we know about Yew? If he's a compulsive liar, it fits. Doesn't it? May I remind you that this line is also out of context. We don't know what Yew said to get a response like that.

Edited by Jay the Hawkhart Ace

@Calem: That... still doesn't seem to fit here at all. I think the wonderful localizers thought mealy was an old-sounding expletive, but... it's not.

@ErdrickyI doubt that the game will have that much cut content. The translation will probably be good enough that people that aren't aware of the original script (almost everyone) won't even notice it. So yeah, it will probably be somewhere between a) and b) and probably quite successful since fans are really hungry for DQ games. I totally expect altered game models though.@JayTo me that sentence seems totally out of character. Not acceptable in my opinion. If that kind of speech is consistent throughout the whole game, well, that's fine, but if it just appears in this one reference? Nope.@ChiefNope, nothing against Honeymooners. :)

Based on screenshots/trailer Mage outfit looks intact, Aira on the box art isn't covered up.

I suppose we'll see if they do anything.

BS was SE and Binari Sonori based on the end credits, Nintendo published it and seemingly had a hand in edited content.

It could be SE and Plus Alpha on DQVII, like DQIX which was also published by Nintendo.

Fairly sure it's not 8-4 based on some email communication.

Edited by Tiael

@Mattcraft

I'm 30. I pretty much got lucky and somehow got my hands on the NTSC english version of the game through a friend. I'm living in PAL region. I think the game wasn't even released in my country back then. I barely understood the english dialogs back then and just somehow through trial and error progressed in the game. I actually learned english through that game and was already quite advanced compared to my schoolmates when we got our first english classes. 

I remember that it took me several days to progress past the first boss, because I kept reseting the SNES every time I died. Only through pure luck or maybe frustration(?) I let the credits roll and discovered that this is a forced death and that the game continues afterwards. Great times. 

Edit: And those religious themes were quite obvious to me, even if I could barely read the text. God or Gott is quite similar and I can certainly recognize a church and a prayer. They didn't influence me much, so I just can't understand why themes like that need to get heavily altered, especially when it comes to fantasy religions. 

Edited by Calem
  • Upvote 1

@eal More or less what happened last time.

Sound, does that mean Sim's Town will be tied to streetpass?

Edited by Jay the Hawkhart Ace

It is a fairly broad topic about Nintendo RPG translations that was put in the wrong forum, and has pretty much stayed there just brought back to Dragon Quest. 

Everything goes back to Dragon Quest.

Now I want 8-4 to localize every game.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

• Upvote 2

I'll take obvious puns over overused memes at this point if these translations have to be joke machines.

I'd rather have Chapter 1 of DQ4 levels of accents rather than meme humor. I've played that game a half dozen times and those accents are still hard to read.

That...may be a problem for us...Eh, I never used the Sim Town in the PSX for anything other than God anyway.

Speaking of cultural sensitivities, street pass features that affect gameplay should always be available locally outside of Japan. Vast landmasses are a $#!&@.

Edited by En Garde
  • Upvote 2

Now I want 8-4 to localize every game.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

C'mon. They did Boom Beach for us. We should be thankful they brought us such a classic.

I don't play games created and endorsed by the Canadian Devil.

Besides, they just translated it to Japanese, which means they spread the influence of the Canadian Devil to other nations.

• Upvote 2

Hmm..I'm debating whether I should even get into this conversation now considering how sidetracked it's gotten.  I'm going with no.  Calem released a few of the links I was going to, and a ton of others I wasn't aware of, and welcome to the boards.  Also kept Matt on track with the subject.  So very much welcome to the boards.  Between Calem and Varuna my points were pretty much made and defended better than I could.  So I think I'll skip out on finishing my long response.

Also...wtf happened to En Garde?  I'm used to you actually taking a position, but instead you just shat all over everything and everyone.  Dude, what's up these days?  Life gotten you down or something?  You're usually not this pessimistic and snappish.

Burarian...wow, total 180 and cop-out.  I'm used to you actually taking a hard stand on a similar line to myself over this topic, but this time you gave up the ghost entirely.  How come?  Just tired of arguing the point?  That's kind of depressing seeing such a flip.

I don't play games created and endorsed by the Canadian Devil.

Besides, they just translated it to Japanese, which means they spread the influence of the Canadian Devil to other nations.

Much worse than the Devil for sure...bastard soul sucker.  Seriously that guy pisses me off.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 2

BS was SE and Binari Sonori based on the end credits, Nintendo published it and seemingly had a hand in edited content.

We know that's a complete lie considering SE doesn't localize, especially when they're not even publishing the game.

It could be SE and Plus Alpha on DQVII, like DQIX which was also published by Nintendo.

Has SE even acknowledged DQ7 getting an English release yet?If not, I'm very concerned Nintendo or 8-4 are heavily involved.

Fairly sure it's not 8-4 based on some email communication.

With who, and is it with companies or "insiders"?

Go take a look at BS credits..

Yes, SE is talking about DQVII when it was first announced, on their site, Facebook, Twitter.

With 8-4.