Nintendo's localizations.

Going back to what you were saying, SlimeVagrant, here's an interesting tidbit for you: Awakening saved Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem has been a mainstay in Japan since the NES but it wasn't particularly popular, so Intelligent Systems decided to put everything they've ever wanted to do into Fire Emblem Awakening. Don't know if they ever did get everything in there, but I know having children in Fire Emblem was certainly on their bucket list. Ironically, the stuff they put in there made it a hit in Japan and in America, a country that also wasn't in love with Fire Emblem.

Naturally, they did a lot of the same things again for Fates and shoved in even more otaku pandering to hold onto their new audience. Some of that Awakening DLC proves as much. That hot springs DLC wasn't for the Fire Emblem faithful that love military drama and intrigue A good minute of dialogue is a woman getting Tharja into a bikini and talking about her "famous" curves. They even sold a figure of her with he ass in the air. Intelligent Systems seems to have a thing for asses, honestly. I've noticed a lot of male and female characters have asses sticking out in battle and a lot of Awakening's concept art had character's point their asses in your direction.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

lol Yeah I've heard a lot of good things about Fire Emblem since Awakening came out. I've been considering giving the series another go since then. Like I said earlier I've only played the gba and gcn games and didn't like either of them. Those games kind of put me off the series though and so I haven't tried the 3DS games yet, because I have no idea how they are in comparison.

It's mostly the same except for marriage and kids, better character art, and the option to turn of perma-death. Some smaller stuff were thrown in but that's pretty much the key differences.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good localization: Everyone enjoys the game.   Bad localization: People that don't care enjoy the game. People that do care enjoy it less.    But with people actually defending changes like "..

I didn't say it would be my last post, just the last big one. To address your last comment, I would have bought the game regardless of what they did or did not cut. Gameplay is important but so is sto

I disagree. You can argue that it was "just" amplified, and I'll argue that it destroyed the rest of her character. She isn't shy anymore. Shy isn't soft spoken anymore. She's just this muscle packed

I dunno. Considering the massive amounts of censorship Nintendo used to do to Dragon Quest alone, I'm not surprised they'd still be up to such shenanigans even at this late stage. I'm honestly surprised they still kept the 'puff-puff' skill in for DQ9, since it's an 'attack' where you bury an opponent's face in one's bosom. Maybe DQ8 let that one well out the bag to not retain it. I'll be interested to see just how much of the breast gags are kept in with the new localization of DQ7. They sure didn't hold back in the original one since Sony probably didn't care one way or the other.

• Upvote 1

I dunno. Considering the massive amounts of censorship Nintendo used to do to Dragon Quest alone, I'm not surprised they'd still be up to such shenanigans even at this late stage. I'm honestly surprised they still kept the 'puff-puff' skill in for DQ9, since it's an 'attack' where you bury an opponent's face in one's bosom. Maybe DQ8 let that one well out the bag to not retain it. I'll be interested to see just how much of the breast gags are kept in with the new localization of DQ7. They sure didn't hold back in the original one since Sony probably didn't care one way or the other.

Puff Puff didn't have a skill in 9. It was part of a sheep quest though.

Going back to what you were saying, SlimeVagrant, here's an interesting tidbit for you: Awakening saved Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem has been a mainstay in Japan since the NES but it wasn't particularly popular, so Intelligent Systems decided to put everything they've ever wanted to do into Fire Emblem Awakening. Don't know if they ever did get everything in there, but I know having children in Fire Emblem was certainly on their bucket list. Ironically, the stuff they put in there made it a hit in Japan and in America, a country that also wasn't in love with Fire Emblem.

Naturally, they did a lot of the same things again for Fates and shoved in even more otaku pandering to hold onto their new audience. Some of that Awakening DLC proves as much. That hot springs DLC wasn't for the Fire Emblem faithful that love military drama and intrigue A good minute of dialogue is a woman getting Tharja into a bikini and talking about her "famous" curves. They even sold a figure of her with he ass in the air. Intelligent Systems seems to have a thing for asses, honestly. I've noticed a lot of male and female characters have asses sticking out in battle and a lot of Awakening's concept art had character's point their asses in your direction.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

lol Yeah I've heard a lot of good things about Fire Emblem since Awakening came out. I've been considering giving the series another go since then. Like I said earlier I've only played the gba and gcn games and didn't like either of them. Those games kind of put me off the series though and so I haven't tried the 3DS games yet, because I have no idea how they are in comparison.

It's mostly the same except for marriage and kids, better character art, and the option to turn of perma-death. Some smaller stuff were thrown in but that's pretty much the key differences.

Ah, I'll probably pass on it then, it's just not my kind of game.

It's like people don't even read the thread and just assume a discussion point that is actually non existent and then drop their opinion on it.

Welcome to the Dragon's Den

Puff Puff didn't have a skill in 9. It was part of a sheep quest though.

There was a monster in DQ9 with the puff puff ability. I believe it was the succubus-like boss after the Wight Knight. ( I forget what it's called)

Edit: This thing: http://dragonquest.wikia.com/wiki/Morag

Edited by SlimeVagrant

@Mattcraft 

Have you seen my post on page 2? If you didn't, can I ask you to go back and look through it please? I gave explicit examples of what the current issue is about. Please make sure to watch the Elfie video as well. 

Edit: I'll just post the video again here, because it's such an important example of a personality change.

*blink*

Now I don't want to play Fates, even if it (and a 3DS, which I don't have anymore) was gifted to me. Just because of that one character. (Granted, I don't like SRPGs anyway. I bought Awakening as a try to the series, and it didn't appeal to me.)

That right there though? That is a legitimate complaint in my eyes. Nintendo should be telling us some of the reasoning behind their casting right there.

There's no limit to how much I can love you, or how much I can benchpress. - That is comedic gold there though. Seriously.

I don't understand why when I google this after reading those status updates, there isn't more outrage over this than the boob slider. 

That video perfectly shows the reasoning behind a "censorship" argument, but this is just... horrible casting and localization.  

EDIT : Finished looking through the post on page 2. I go on the "Boob slider" thing more because it is picked up on constantly in the recent censorship deals. But I didn't notice that there is that much sexuality in Fates. Eugh. Those are all valid points, though I don't think that Treehouse or whoever did Fates didn't do it to "conform to an agenda" or something. The Illuminati isn't trying to ruin your game. (That isn't directed at you, Calem.) It's just decisions made by a group of translators. 

It's pretty obvious though that Nintendo needs to show us more transparency. A ton more.

Edited by Mattcraft
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm quite interested in how the localization will be handled for Dragon Quest 7 and 8. Having played the original two english versions I'll be able to compare any changes that may occur, and Dragon Quest being a series I'm heavily invested in, I can see myself feeling more affected by any "negative" censorship.

I think a good part of the reason I'm not as affected by the localization of Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade Chronicles, is because I have no investment on "how the series should be".

On that note, do we know who is handling the translation of the DQ 3DS games? Is it going to be Treehouse? 

It's not totally inaccurate to how she plays though. She is a legitimate tank in Conquest. She can cut through anyone. She was the last unit I used towards the end of the game that wasn't one of Corrin's siblings or a healer. She takes little damage from anyone and she can take out enemies in a single hit.

Google doesn't show it, because the big gaming publications don't report on it. I could tell you so much about them, but this topic is just too big and complicated. Just keep in mind that the big gaming publications are not your friend. They are propagandists for publishers and studios that buy ads on their sites. 

In regards to the voice acting. There are hints that the Voice Actors weren't given any information towards what kind of character they are supposed to be playing. Azura's voice actor was on a podcast stream a month or so ago and said this. There was a small outrage from people and she immediately retracted her statement and claimed that everything is fine and they got info.

Nichegamer.com published an article and linked to that podcast on Youtube, but apparently the Voice Actor asked for the video to be taken down. Probably because she didn't want to get in trouble with Nintendo.

http://nichegamer.com/2016/02/nintendo-gives-practically-no-information-to-english-voice-actors/

“You’re not allowed to know the title of the game, you don’t usually know your character, you don’t know anything about it, because it’s very secret information,†Strober said.

“So I didn’t know I was hired as a singer, and a speaker, but here was this character that I knew singing was her power. So I just sort of did it and had a great time.â€

I solely blame Treehouse in that aspect. They should have directed the voice actors better and give them sound bites of the japanese voice actors so that they can orientate themselves on them. 

Edited by Calem
  • Upvote 2

There are times when Treehouse's sense of humor actually works, like with Splatoon. They added a lot of personality to otherwise boring dialogue, especially the final boss fight. That was great.

Medieval fantasy dramas might not be their strong suit though. 

So, after some of you guys got aware of the issues with FE:F's localization. What is your opinion on Nintendo's recent announcement?

Maz6nvI.png

From what I've seen in the tweets shortly after they tweeted this, fans aren't really looking forward to the "new and improved experience".

So, after some of you guys got aware of the issues with FE:F's localization. What is your opinion on Nintendo's recent announcement?

Maz6nvI.png

From what I've seen in the tweets shortly after they tweeted this, fans aren't really looking forward to the "new and improved experience".

if they are comparing it to the psx version then they are technically correct.  We are getting a game with new graphics and a new translation.

How DQ7 3Ds not have graphics reworked and a new translation?  SE said that they weren't going with the old psx script.

I would say people don't understand that they are actually releasing DQ7 3ds with a new translation out west.  

Edited by sounderfan84

Well, they could have used the old script as the basis for the new one. Made some changes where it diverted too much from the Japanese script, altered some lines for clarity, etc.

Unless you're saying the old script wasn't good enough to be usable. Which is a debate worth having I guess.

Edited by En Garde

The script for Awakening had a lot of character. Lot of snappy dialogue. I don't know if that was Treehouse adding in some flourishes or the original game script, but it's not really present in Fates. I was actually pretty disappointed by that one I started playing.

I've heard many complains that the "accents" in DQ games are often over the top and hard to read for the player. I'd actually welcome a change to that, if they toned it down a bit. I was quite annoyed about it in the Joker games, and as I said earlier, these don't really have any amount of worthwhile dialogs in the first place. I just hope they don't get the Treehouse treatment and they don't put random memes in there.

xHnM7lJ.png

(Treehouse didn't localize Bravely Second, I just put this pic here as an example.)

Edited by Calem

The script for Awakening had a lot of character. Lot of snappy dialogue. I don't know if that was Treehouse adding in some flourishes or the original game script, but it's not really present in Fates. I was actually pretty disappointed by that one I started playing.

8-4 localized Awakening, not Treehouse.

8-4 is a Japanese localization firm which specializes in freelance Japanese-to-English localization jobs on behalf of other companies.[1]Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Fire Emblem Awakening were both localized by 8-4.

Edited by Calem

Well, they could have used the old script as the basis for the new one. Made some changes where it diverted too much from the Japanese script, altered some lines for clarity, etc.

Unless you're saying the old script wasn't good enough to be usable. Which is a debate worth having I guess.

Enix had 20 translators 5 copy editors to the PSX DW7 western release.  It had so many grammar errors and spelling errors and the lack of constancy

If they were to use the original English script as a template, not only would they have to fix all the errors, then go through everything to make sure its up to date with the current naming standard then apply the localization.  Apply accents and among other things.  You almost better off starting over from scratch.

To keep such a large text game constant you basically have to limited it to a few translators and editors in order to keep it constant through the game and that is going to take a whole lot of time.  People think this is going to be another FE fates. I disagree.  To localize such a large game its going and keep it constant is going to take a couple years. 

Nintendo's own localization group wouldn't have the time to take on such a large project while having other projects to do.   You would have to commit the next several years

So reality is we were always going to get a new translation.

Edited by sounderfan84

I don't play FE or XBC(X), either, but I can tell a bad localization when I see it.

Probably 8-4, sadly.

Plus Alpha if we're lucky.

Nintendo Treehouse if we're completely unlucky.

Yeah, I can understand that. It must be frustrating to be a translator yourself and see a translation you fundamentally disagree with. It must be equally frustrating when people can't quite see your point of view, no matter how you try to put it!

@Calem

About the Nintendo tweet, I am actually really excited! I'm coming from a place where I'm just thankful the game is coming out. I'm a little bit concerned to see what the translation is like, if it gets the same treatment as FE, but I am also interested in that aspect because I feel as if I'd be able to relate more to where you and Varuna, and others of #torrentialdounpour are coming from. Basically, I see four options. 

a) The game is released with better-than-expected script. This option is, obviously, what everyone is hoping for! Whoever is in charge of the localization nails it, and the game oozes charm and is celebrated as a big success.

b)The game is released with an average script. This option, in my mind, would be a similar script to the PSX version. Stale, boring, spelling mistakes, and very bare bones. Would be a bummer, but I personally wouldn't mind. People'll complain and the downpour will have more raindrops to add.

c)The game has poor translation, some cut content: Even still I wouldn't mind this one too much. I've played plenty of games with poor translations, and cut content. I'd be semi-bummed, and maybe even add my voice the the outcry of the #TD. I'd be able to understand, better, where some FE fans are coming from.

d) Translation sucks, important content cut, total tonal change, forced memes and propoganda: Clearly this would be the worst case scenerio. Depending on how bad it is I would feel deeply affected and would totally realate to #TD. May even sell my copy of the game! I would be bummed to the max, and thank god the PSX version still exists.

I think somewhere between a) and b) will be the outcome. I'm also interested in how people react to the translation, regardless of where I think it will place on the scale. For example, if I think they did a pretty good job translating it, and yet people still complain, I would seriously question the validity of some of the more serious claims I've heard about recent localization. I'm kinda treating the DQVII release as a tester I can relate to for this controversy, y'know? Not to disparage against what a lot of video game fans are going through! I understand that it's rough stuff... I just can't see it clearly from where I'm at. 

I've heard many complains that the "accents" in DQ games are often over the top and hard to read for the player. I'd actually welcome a change to that, if they toned it down a bit. I was quite annoyed about it in the Joker games, and as I said earlier, these don't really have any amount of worthwhile dialogs in the first place. I just hope they don't get the Treehouse treatment and they don't put random memes in there.

xHnM7lJ.png

(Treehouse didn't localize Bravely Second, I just put this pic here as an example.)

THIS is the kinda stuff I was defending. I find this funny.

As for the Nintendo tweet. It doesn't faze me. 7's my favourite and I'd love it eitheway

Edited by Jay the Hawkhart Ace

xHnM7lJ.png

I hope you're not trashing The Honeymooners. Because if you are, one of these days Calem, Bam! Straight to the moon!

Dialogue, characterization is often too subjective for most people to get worked up about unless they really screw up like with Fates. Some will like the take on a character, others won't. Unless you know Japanese it is difficult to know most of the time if the spirit is intact. Especially for a very niche series like Dragon Quest, sad but true.

When content is cut, it's gone. It has ceased to exist. There is a void that is immediately noticed. Of course when looking at the localization as a whole that is going to be in the forefront of discussion. How could it not be?  

@Erdricky

I doubt that the game will have that much cut content. The translation will probably be good enough that people that aren't aware of the original script (almost everyone) won't even notice it. So yeah, it will probably be somewhere between a) and b) and probably quite successful since fans are really hungry for DQ games. I totally expect altered game models though.

@Jay

To me that sentence seems totally out of character. Not acceptable in my opinion. If that kind of speech is consistent throughout the whole game, well, that's fine, but if it just appears in this one reference? Nope.

@Chief

Nope, nothing against Honeymooners. :)

Edited by Calem

I doubt the new translation for DQ7 will not come even close to being another DW7 translation mess.

@Erdricky

I doubt that the game will have that much cut content. The translation will probably be good enough that people that aren't aware of the original script (almost everyone) won't even notice it. So yeah, it will probably be somewhere between a) and b) and probably quite successful since fans are really hungry for DQ games. I totally expect altered game models though.

@Jay
To me that sentence seems totally out of character. Not acceptable in my opinion. If that kind of speech is consistent throughout the whole game, well, that's fine, but if it just appears in this one reference? Nope.

@Chief
Nope, nothing against Honeymooners. :)

Technically there is already is the cut content from the original ;)  Any additional content besides what SE already cut when they did the remake. I would have to watch the playthrough of the japanese version on youtube to even have an idea of what could be cut if any at all.

Edited by sounderfan84