Nintendo's localizations.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good localization: Everyone enjoys the game.   Bad localization: People that don't care enjoy the game. People that do care enjoy it less.    But with people actually defending changes like "..

I didn't say it would be my last post, just the last big one. To address your last comment, I would have bought the game regardless of what they did or did not cut. Gameplay is important but so is sto

I disagree. You can argue that it was "just" amplified, and I'll argue that it destroyed the rest of her character. She isn't shy anymore. Shy isn't soft spoken anymore. She's just this muscle packed

I still don't get what Single Japanese Women have to do with all this? What's a SJW gotta do to get some virtual boob rubbing?

You don't think single Japanese women rub their boobs? If anything, they'd be the demographic most likely.

I still don't get what Single Japanese Women have to do with all this? What's a SJW gotta do to get some virtual boob rubbing?

You don't think single Japanese women rub their boobs? If anything, they'd be the demographic most likely.
I'll give you that one. So true. Best point yet!

So, maybe we should turn this thread around. Hey, who are all you Americans going to vote for?

Nevermind, ignore this post.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Not Trump, that's for sure.

I vote Auster Estard, independent party.

He's all for rebuilding our country, one piece at a time.

• Upvote 1

On a serious note...

I'd like to change the direction a bit. 

Going OFF of the obvious FUBAR of removed dialog and such, what about costumes and such?

The removal of entire CLASSES is one thing, but does a bit of added clothing seriously detract from the game that much?

For me? I don't mind it. I do not find sexual pleasure in video games. To me, it sounds creepy the first thing seen in some of these "WTF CENSORSHIP" videos or dialogs is pictures of front-boob being covered up. 

I mean, it'd be different if say... http://dragonquest.wikia.com/wiki/Prince_of_Cannock- He has the symbol of Loto on the front of his outfit. The Loto symbol is a religious symbol to a fault in DQ, is it not? 

If the symbol was removed in territories outside of Japan, that would be pretty drastic.

But adding a bit of cloth to a "sexy" outfit doesn't bother me at all. 

Guys, I get it. SE cut party chat from DQ4 and that sucked and everyone hated it. But they didn't owe anyone an explanation. It's their business and it's their prerogative to run their business as badly as they want. And there were people here who swore to never buy another game from SE until more DQ games were released. Who knows if it made a difference, but that's really all you can do. When you start seeing conspiracies in the shadows, there's nothing I can say that is going to satisfy you.

These are some points I wanted to address. I believe companies should be transparent and explain to the customers why things happen the way they do. Enix America did that. It builds trust and prevents things from getting out of hand. In the case of DQ IV, significant content was cut due to its budget. If people hadn't spoken up, who knows, they could start cheapening out for future games...or sell to us as DLC. I've never liked the "Well, this is what we're getting, so take it and be happy." stance. You should never let a company exploit you by supporting bad business practices. DQ has really suffered because of this. If we're not getting a game, tell us. Maybe the consumers can get the word out to show them there's a market for the series. Would we even be getting VII if people hadn't complained loudly?

If you'd like another example of things spiraling out of control, look at the "Where's Rey" fiasco. There wasn't enough Rey merchandise when people wanted it. So people spun a narrative saying the company was sexist when anybody with a basic understanding of how the toy industry works knew it wasn't the case. Sites irresponsibly wrote and published articles on pure speculation. They got the clicks while grossly misinforming the public. Hasbro chose to wait it out, but I wish they had laid the smack down about how they operate. Instead of great articles like this rising to the top, the misinformation is still being taken as fact.

There are huge changes happening in our society, voiceless people who now have a voice. And what they say rubs up against our perceived idea of the world and it causes friction. The only way for people who have nothing to have something, is if the people who do have something have just a little bit less. And it might mean that you have less influence in the world, or make less money, or your video game has some altered content. The changes that are happening in Western civilization are beyond the influence of Nintendo and Treehouse and games journalists. They are not causing the world to change, they are reacting to it.

Not all changes are good, unfortunately. Acceptance is great. More voices; also great. A change that's not so great is, as a whole, I feel we're losing our center. Now we're hearing a voice and instantly taking it as gospel. We're not stopping to think who is saying it, why they're saying it, and most importantly, is this a voice that's worth listening to. Like any constructive criticism - you have to be able to discern helpful advice from crazy ranting.

Another trend has been people trying to force their will on others creations. I believe creators should be free to make what they want. I don't like the Call of Duties and Halos, but I think those people should make the products their consumers enjoy. Now entitled people are telling creators they know their creation better than them and should change their entire business to cater only to them. Creators are now walking on eggshells because something they write, draw, or even their race or ethnicity will set off some silly firestorm. What happened with Fire Emblem was half bad staff and half wanting to avoid the current climate.

I have a gripe with so-called "SJWs" and it's that in response to being treated as something less than human, they have responded by treating their critics as something less than human. It's understandable, but I think people have a responsibility to be kind and understanding to others. If you guys really want to talk about the big picture, I am willing to do so. But it should probably be it's own topic.

Being in the arts for so long, I've dealt with the social justice types far longer than most. The fact that it's oozing more and more into the mainstream I find to be deeply disturbing. It's heartbreaking to see good people broken by their own good intentions. It holds people back. It makes enemies where there should be none. I'm sick and tired of checking comic or gaming news and being called a sexist, racist, or rapist. This stuff is causing people to retract more and more into themselves. No kindness. No self-awareness. No interaction. I'm seeing the changes, and it's not better for anyone.

• Upvote 3

I vote Auster Estard, independent party.

He's all for rebuilding our country, one piece at a time.

Sounds good enough for me.

I was all for Sanders a few months ago. There he was passing out buckets of chicken to everyone on Christmas. He was hanging out on college campuses. Then he seemed to stop caring about KFC so much and so I looked him up. Oh! He'd never been in the military, let alone reached the rank of Colonel. And the KFC website said nothing about Bernie inventing their secret blend of herbs and spices.

It was shocking to say the least.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking of voting Psaro for president. He seems like a decent enough guy. We can trust him!

And yeah I know there are news spreading around him wanting to use some type of magic to annihilate all humankind but I'm sure that just Conspiracy Theory BS.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking of voting Psaro for president. He seems like a decent enough guy. We can trust him!

And yeah I know there are news spreading around him wanting to use some type of magic to annihilate all humankind but I'm sure that just Conspiracy Theory BS.

Dude just lost his wife. He has my sympathy vote.

Excellent points, Dwaine.  I couldn't put it any better, myself.  After 14 pages of arguments, (even if I didn't agree with them, I could respect their opinions) these were the first posts that really rubbed me the wrong way.  I think most people were in agreement that the localization was just lazy and not necessarily pandering to Western political influences.  I'm not a fan of self-righteous political rants; especially when they are being injected into a discussion erroneously.

Edited by Griever
  • Upvote 1

As I was pointing out in the first few pages of this thread. The Fire Emblem: Fates localization is just bad. It doesn't have much to do with western ideologies, aside of cutting content like the petting minigame and bikinis, maybe. The more important issue was always the cut and extremely altered dialogs and changed character personalities.

Someone else here has thrown in the issue of "new voices that have been voiceless before", which again, is a really bad argument in respect to the pointed out examples of bad localization.

• Upvote 2

So we can finally all agree on something? It's a bad localization, but it isn't some intricate conspiracy.

Now on to more important matters, I know who I'm voting for.

PbHmKUR.jpg?1?7507

Ha, I remember the commercials for Mario Party 5 and how they always ended with a rock version of the Presidential March.

That game had an unique musical approach compared to the other GameCube Mario Party titles, but the fact it gave us Toad, Boo, and freakin' Koopa Kid as playable characters was great. Shame DK was demoted from playable status, though.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I couldn't vote for Mario, he is flaky and is a severe druggie.

Not to mention his obesity problems, his sordid relationship with a foreign princess, and his brief acting career.

And before all you Mario people jump on top of me, yes, I'm aware of his heroic military career, but running a country and running through stages are two completely different things.

No doubt he'd spend most of his time in office golfing.

Or playing tennis.

He'd end up spending some of the budget making his own raceway.

Now Bowser Koopa, I can get behind his platform.

Not to mention his obesity problems, his sordid relationship with a foreign princess, and his brief acting career.

And his violence against animals, starting with that poor Cranky Kong.

I don't think he's in the right stage of his life for a presidential campaign right now.

Maybe Sonic should try running. Although I think there's a lot of hoops to jump through to get his campaign started.