Nintendo's localizations.

I've seen a 60+ comment status thread on this, and now more, so if nobody else is going to make this topic, then I will.

As of late, localizations, especially Nintendo's, have been going to what people see as censorship. 

This ranges from outright class-changes, removals of "boob sliders", a "face petting" system (I still don't get that), and the improving (YEP, SORRY) of costumes for female characters.

This topic has a -VERY GOOD CHANCE- of getting bipped if it gets out of line, so let's actually get a proper discussion here, we're all adults.

My viewpoint is this, and it echoes mariosmentor. Who really cares? A female costume gets a little less skin, a removal of a boob slider in a game with a TEENAGER, and the changing of a weird "face petting" game in Fire Emblem? These things don't bother me. I think that some of these costumes get a little creepy, and to be frank, all Nintendo of JAPAN did was remove the actual part where you touch the other character's face. Perhaps it's my asexuality, but eugh. They also removed a scene where it HEAVILY implies drugging a character (and furthermore, the drug supposedly cures homosexuality.) Nintendo had the option there to remove same-sex marriage too, but they did not. And on the "petting", all Nintendo did was remove the tactile experience, they LEFT EVERYTHING ELSE IN. - http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/4/10920292/fire-emblem-fates-petting-skinship-localization-change, http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/21/10810944/fire-emblem-fates-nintendo-drugging-scene .

These kinds of changes are not censorship. They are localizations. Localizing a game means making it accessible AND acceptable to the target audience, meaning the Western hemisphere in this case. I know that while I can just handle and ignore say, a boob slider in Xenoblade, I wouldn't want my kid having that option, nor a way to turn it on or off without my knowing.

On the other hand, changes like Nintendo removing references to religion and alcohol and such back in the day can arguably be seen as the same thing. Nintendo of America, and by extention, US, THEIR TARGET AUDIENCE, were all young. All of you notice now that darker games make it here quite regularly without change like Bayonetta 2 and some of the other M-rated titles on the Wii U. And the stuff "censored" from the 3DS? We didn't get ANYTHING censored in Shin Megami Tensai 4. Anything that would be "censored" was done so by Nintendo of Japan, not Nintendo of America or Atlus. You can notice some of the changes in "censorship" here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regionally_censored_video_games, and as you notice, the changes differ on the age of the title. There's some decisions being made in the localization processes of games, and not all of these are Nintendo-related. People complain about Nintendo and Bravely Second. WRONG. Nintendo did not handle the localization of that title. They distributed it. Changing the Hawkeye around was actually a pretty solid decison, as it would have had a -metric ton- of backlash, as you can gather from reading here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_mascot_controversy

To be perfectly frank, this -entire- discussion is weird. We're all complaining about changes that don't really affect us. Removing R. Mika's buttslap? Giving some Sengan Kagura chicks longer skirts? And as mentor put it, "panty drawer to sock drawer"?

My opinion is roughly the same as mentor; As long as the localization doesn't deviate from the creator's original vision? It's fine by me. I'm sure the costume designer for Bravely Second or Fatal Frame isn't having a panic attack over costume changes, nor are the development team for Fire Emblem running for Nintendo with torches and pitchforks. It honestly sounds creepy as $#!& when I read some of these comments, especially on the "boob slider" thing. Cultural appropriation is a -big- thing, and honestly? It isn't that bad of a thing in general. Some things should have just stayed in (anal probing in South Park SoT), and others should have just been thrown to the wayside (Hot Coffee, anyone?).

When something truly big happens, people seriously don't go off about it. What about video game ACTUAL $#!&ING CENSORSHIP abroad? Germany? Europe? Russia? Games have to be changed entirely or not come out there at ALL. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_gaming_in_Germany

So we need to look over costume changes and see what is really going on in the world. We as gamers have grown up, and when OUR games get drastic changes during localization, like entire levels removed due to German policies, or cutscenes cut because of supposed American sensitivity? Then we should go for campaigning. 

But you have to look at this from multiple viewpoints, not like some teenager in heat who wants to $#!& his 3DS. We're adults. We're parents. We are educated consumers. 

Let's act like it.

I made an ignasia-quality post! Woo! At least I think so. Ignasia posts long educated posts. 

Edited by Mattcraft
  • Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good localization: Everyone enjoys the game.   Bad localization: People that don't care enjoy the game. People that do care enjoy it less.    But with people actually defending changes like "..

I didn't say it would be my last post, just the last big one. To address your last comment, I would have bought the game regardless of what they did or did not cut. Gameplay is important but so is sto

I disagree. You can argue that it was "just" amplified, and I'll argue that it destroyed the rest of her character. She isn't shy anymore. Shy isn't soft spoken anymore. She's just this muscle packed

It's been interesting to see the discussions about censorship issues that have been popping up in the past few weeks/months. I haven't played Fire Emblem, so I can't say for sure if the game suffers from it's "bad" localisation, but I have played xenoblade chronicles x. I have a hard time seeing how a boob-slider could have augmented the experience of Xenoblade chronicles X, and I'm totally okay with it being removed. In fact, some of the "censored" costumes for the 13 year old character are still  a little too risque for my tastes (though I can understand why some players would feel like they're entitled to every option a game originally has.) 

All in all, I'm of the opinion that localisation these day is generally quite good. Definately much better than it's ever been. I've always thought Nintendo's in particular was quite good. The examples I keep seeing of FE: Fates don't really sway my opinion much, and... I'm kind of in favor of a lot of the choices. The direct-from-Japanese 1-to-1 translations fall... quite flat to me. I dunno, like I said, I haven't played the game so I don't know. I'd be interested to see the opinion of someone who has played through the whole thing. Sometimes I get the feeling people jump on the outrage train before they even play the dang games! I know my friend IRL who is all about hating on Treehouse and Nintendo sure as heck hasn't touched these games. "Boycotting" them, as he says :P

So yeah, I can understand the outrage, but I don't really see it as a problem yet. I think it's fine as it is now, but it has the potential to get worse, and I wouldn't like that. It's good to get involved in what you feel strongly about, though, and I fully support people who want to stand up for what they think is right. I'm interested to see where all this leads! I hope localisation, or the gaming population, can come to a happy medium where the most amount of people are pleased.

Alright, I'll return with a thorough response later tonight.

I will say, I'm also of the opinion that, if it services the product being released for Americans, I don't really mind alterations so long as it keeps in line with the character or retains the intention behind their dialogue. I know some people on this forum will disagree with that statement because they would prefer a 1:1 translation of the product. I don't agree with it, but I respect it and understand where they're coming from nonetheless.

It's been very interesting seeing people choosing Fire Emblem Fates as the lightning rod to spring them into action, the game that was made in response to the reception Awakening got when it pandered to the otaku base in Japan. The inclusion of the petting mini-game, bringing back the ability to have children in the most ham-fisted way possible, and being able to marry your blood relatives in one version and your adopted family in another. All of these things leading up to the release pissed off fans who wanted a traditional Fire Emblem game but instead had to suffer through more pandering to a demographic that otherwise would have shown no interest in the series. So it's kind of funny seeing people stand up in support of the creators' artistic vision, when that vision was, "How are we going to get more otaku to buy this game?"

That being said, I highly disagree with what Treehouse did to Beruka and Saizo's support conversation. Even though they're both the strong silent type (and I actually found the English version kind of funny), they should not have cut so much characterization from their support. Of course, it's worth mentioning that the video only shows the C-rank support, not the whole thing. This particular support is only in Revelations, which won't be out for those who didn't get the special edition until the 10th. For all we know, the whole thing could still be in there, just re-worked into the B, A, or S rank support. But for the point of argument, let's assume it isn't.

I only hope I'm not the only one who actually played the game who makes their opinion known and gets involved in this discussion.

Also, why would someone name their movement (Torrential Downpour) after the only good David Cage game Quantic Dream has ever made?

Edited by eal

I can't exactly touch on everything in that topic because I'm driving to work. Keep in mind that I actually stopped off the side of the road to say this. A good localization isn't just a flat out translation it has to have culturally relevant dialogue and personalization if any of you have ever played lunar or really any Working Designs game you might know what I'm talking about in this they may have been a little bit over the top and some of their references but they did some pretty good localizations. Nintendo is getting some flack for the way they've been handling some of the localization a little bit is justified and a little bit is just damn stupid. Why I can understand a little bit of anger at some of the changes in Fire Emblem fates it's not really all that bad. I'm not I don't want this topic to Darrell into some kind of a social media so I'm not going to say anything else on that except Nintendo didn't I didn't change that just for social justice warriors.

And the only other thing I'm really going to touch on is that tough well that parenting may be a part of how somebody's localizations go to be perfectly honest you cannot stop a kid from getting what they want to get unless you take away every single aspect of electronic media.

The last thing I'm touching on before I get home and I can actually make a giant sing about it IS yeah we're adults but these changes are not Censorship the localization meant for a game that is going to be purchased for and played by a teenager. They have to anticipate that a teenager not a 30 year old adult is going to be playing at and understanding the content. We have to understand this and just roll with the flow.

In short the game isn't even meant for an adult to play in the first place its made for a teenager to play and it's an added bonus that we can play it and enjoy a bit of nostalgia. Complaining about this is just trying to push issues and s*** on our kids that they should not have to worry about.

Why the hell can't we just play a game without worrying about the content like we did when we were kids.

I will say, I'm also of the opinion that, if it services the product being released for Americans, I don't really mind alterations so long as it keeps in line with the character or retains the intention behind their dialogue. I know some people on this forum will disagree with that statement because they would prefer a 1:1 translation of the product. I don't agree with it, but I respect it and understand where they're coming from nonetheless.

It's been very interesting seeing people choosing Fire Emblem Fates as the lightning rod to spring them into action, the game that was made in response to the reception Awakening got when it pandered to the otaku base in Japan. The inclusion of the petting mini-game, bringing back the ability to have children in the most ham-fisted way possible, and being able to marry your blood relatives in one version and your adopted family in another. All of these things leading up to the release pissed off fans who wanted a traditional Fire Emblem game but instead had to suffer through more pandering to a demographic that otherwise would have shown no interest in the series. So it's kind of funny seeing people stand up in support of the creators' artistic vision, when that vision was, "How are we going to get more otaku to buy this game?"

That being said, I highly disagree with what Treehouse did to Beruka and Saizo's support conversation. Even though they're both the strong silent type (and I actually found the English version kind of funny), they should not have cut so much characterization from their support. Of course, it's worth mentioning that the video only shows the C-rank support, not the whole thing. This particular support is only in Revelations, which won't be out for those who didn't get the special edition until the 10th. For all we know, the whole thing could still be in there, just re-worked into the B, A, or S rank support. But for the point of argument, let's assume it isn't.

I only hope I'm not the only one who actually played the game who makes their opinion known and gets involved in this discussion.

Also, why would someone name their movement (Torrential Downpour) after the only good David Cage game Quantic Dream has ever made?

Cool post, I didn't even know there was some backlash to this FE from the more traditional fans. Sweet.

All this talk of the game really makes me want to try it out and see if it's as bad as they say. I only wish I was more interested in the FE series... it's nice to hear the opinion of someone who has played the game, however. It's also interesting to find out that the infamous "..." conversation is in a version of the game can only be found in the special edition, or edition that's not out yet. Are you planning to pick up Revelations when it comes out, eal? 

All this talk makes me look forward to Dragon Quest VII 3DS even more! I wonder what the localisation for that game will be like this time around. It was rated Teen the first go around, and had quite the suggestive themes sometimes, haha. I hope they don't I too much of the adult-implication-conversations the monsters in the monster park had.

You know I am. Conquest, unfortunately, was a little sloppy, which was unfortunate, because I liked the characters and the chapter gimmicks. My favorite was one where you had to race to the top of a staircase and all of your units had to flee the map. The only way to make it unscathed would be to take advantage of Dragon Veins that froze enemy units in place for one turn while you led your unit's past them. Birthright, however, feels much better, and Revelations is supposed to have the unique maps of Conquest with the ease of Birthright, and include a mix of the characters from both games as well as the "true boss." So I'm really looking forward to Revelations basically.

Anyways, if there's anything everyone who gets involved in this conversation can agree on, it's that Nintendo can't be silent on things much longer. They were quiet when the news broke about the altered gay support conversation, they didn't say a word after Kotaku broke the news about the petting mini-game, even though they could have saved themselves so much trouble if they explained how much was cut, and now that people are made about Beruka and Saizo's support conversation, they still won't comment. I know it goes beyond FE and this was just the straw that broke the camel's back, but Fates has been at the heart of this discussion for weeks now and saying something might have quelled people's worries.

Edited by eal

Definitely. It would be nice (as it usually would when it comes to these things!) if there was more transparency from the parent company, Nintendo. I don't know why they would keep the localisation process a secret. It would be especially nice, I think, if they did a faux-Exposé little movie that walks through the process and thought process behind localisation. Beyond the controversy, it would be interesting to see this aspect of Game development.

The petting mini-game is a very small part of the game. You can only do it once at a time with one person, typically only in-between chapters or challenges. It is not a selling point for the game the way that the fan service is for Senran Kagura, which is the only selling point. You spend more time doing virtually everything else then you do forging bonds in Corrin's bedroom

No, he speaks. He even has three different voices per gender to choose from. Actual voice acting is limited though. Mostly grunts and exclamations. When a character appears for the first time, they get to speak half of a sentence, occasionally a full one. Most of the voice acting is in the cutscenes, which are typically less than a minute long. Other than that, S-Rank supports with Corrin and whatever they say to you when what remains of the petting minigame starts up.

As for what remains of the petting game, all you really get to do is tap the screen when an event occurs. For example, after I married Corrin to Charlotte, after talking to her a few times in their bedroom and filling this heart gauge, I unlocked the opportunity to wake her up from her sleep. She was asleep in the bed and I tapped her with my stylus. It was a one-time event. That's about as far as I got before I beat Conquest and went on to Birthright so I can't say if there are any more scenes similar to this.  

• Upvote 1

The only thing I want is for Nintendo of America to stop putting meme humor into their games. I don't see it happening any time soon, though.

Definitely this. I get real sick and tired of meme humor within their games.

• Upvote 1

This is where I think localization is important. In the videos eal linked, those are both very Japanese in terms of the submissiveness/Tsundere of the characters and if they did just a literal translation and released it into a market where outside of the core audience were to pick this game up and see this in it, you can bet there would be a furious mom on the news trying to bring this to people's attention and get the game banned in some fashion.

We are able to make the distinction, but you present it to the average consumer, you're going to have both people who don't care, people who it weirds them out, but not overly bothered by it, and then the people on the opposite side of this censorship coin where they dont think the product needs to exist because of the content within the game.

These are examples of why things are culturally localized. Those videos are very much aimed at an Otaku audience, it won't really work the same here you have to make the changes for it. 

Edited by Bururian

Yeesh... yeah, totally understandable as to why those were cut during localisation. If those were included in the game there's no way the game would remain rated teen. Cutting those out and censoring the game until it was "Teen" was a good choice, I think.

Also worth noting: Elise, Corrin's adopted younger sister, and maybe Sakura as well, were originally 14, I believe.

When they aged them up in America, their was a bit of dialogue between Leo, Corrin's younger brother, and Elise, where he said something like, "Elise, when are you going to start acting like the adult you technically are?" Or something like that. The original version went sort of like, "Jeez, she's still just a brat..." or some such. I paraphrased because I don't have the screenshot on hand. But these were examples of things that got people upset. Does it sound like Nintendo was trying to make sure everyone knew that Elise was 18 in this version? Oh, yeah. I actually think it sounds pretty funny too honestly.

And they did the same thing in Awakening with the character Nowi, an ageless dragon that takes the appearance of a little girl who can marry and have a child with a number of adult men. They made sure you knew time and time again in her support conversations that she was, in fact, a centuries old dragon who happened to look and act like an immature little girl.

It is a slippery slope.

They cut some sidequest paths for Bravely Second, supposedly the bad endings where characters died.

Like there's A/B/C/D paths for the asterisk sidequests, where depending on which character you choose it altered some dialogue and affected the following cutscenes.

A/C being "good endings" and B/D being the "bad endings", there is no B/D in the EU release, it goes directly to A/C endings even if you choose the B/D options.

I'm sure someone else can explain better, but plenty of characters died in BD, so why would we need to cut these parts out in the sequel? Nintendo even published the first overseas.

Not to mention the infamous Tomahawk change, going from a Native American inspired job (and character) and turning it into pretty much a Cowboy with outfit change.

The Tomahawk job was S Rank in guns, and I guess it's more fitting it's a cowboy job with S Rank in guns, but still.

And keeping the original design in the fricking artbook, but removing some other pictures? What the hell.

And then there's all the outfit and monster changes.

Are in the NES and SNES era still? Crotch shadows, some cleavage, monster designs getting edited.

DQ getting crosses changed, Holy to Pearl in FFIII, Siren getting covered up, Beer into Soda Pop from CT.

Edited by Tiael

Sakura is all over Corrin in the game. When he first meets her he says, "You know, I'm very close with a girl in Nohr who's about your age." Her response is to blush and ask, "Is she your girlfriend?" And doing those things in the petting minigame excerpt I posted helps push her to marrying you. Part of the controversy when it was first announced that the petting stuff was going to be removed was that these bits were necessary for S-Rank support. We eventually learned that they kept enough in that S-Rank supports were still possible.

As for Camilla, yes they are not related by blood, but her support conversations with him revolve entirely around him getting her to stop treating him like a baby, which she does the whole game. In fact, in Iggy's article that he linked in his initial status update, it showed a screenshot of a supposed typo in the text that came from this support conversation in which she patronizingly refers to him as a "growed up." It was not a typo at all. This is how she talks to him. Taken out of context though, it looks like one when it isn't.

This is their support conversation. You don't have to watch the whole thing. The S-Rank conversation starts at 5:43:

http://youtu.be/14ICoSiYZhY

Edited by eal

It would've still been Rated T easily.

You think so? I'm not so sure... it was rated 15+ in Japan, apparently. Our rating system in NA is different, clearly, but the closest to a 15+ rating we have is 17+ (M). Though our rated T (13+) seems just as close to the 15+, I suspect the  ESRB raters would err on the side of caution and round up in such a scenario. And that's not even taking into account the cultural differences between the two nations! Japan seems to take sexuality at a younger age better than the culture in North America does, so (and I'm assuming here, I don't know for sure) I am of the mind that a 15+ rating for Japan, in regards to sexuality, would be rated much higher in North America. So... it very well may  have been rated T here if it was completely unchanged, but I don't it it would have "easily" been rated T. In fact, I would be very, very shocked if a game with content like that came out here wasn't rated M.

Varuna, you sound like the most unhappy person ever. You want a 1:1 translation and it's not going to happen.

You're also picking out only specific things that many people are saying in the posts to deconstruct them.

How about they make a different game instead of radically altering an existing one for a market that it wasn't meant for?

Culturization is the worst thing to ever happen to localizations.These are examples of why things are culturally localized. Those videos are very much aimed at an Otaku audience, it won't really work the same here you have to make the changes for it.

So by this logic, they should just not release any Japanese games here.

Why release it for a market it wasn't meant for?

Edited by Bururian
  • Upvote 1

Not to mention the infamous Tomahawk change, going from a Native American inspired job (and character) and turning it into pretty much a Cowboy with outfit change.

The Tomahawk job was S Rank in guns, and I guess it's more fitting it's a cowboy job with S Rank in guns, but still.

And keeping the original design in the fricking artbook, but removing some other pictures? What the hell.

DQ getting crosses changed, Holy to Pearl in FFIII, Siren getting covered up, Beer into Soda Pop from CT.

Isn't the point of art books to show the developmentof things. As of the beer being changed in Chronic Trigger. Remember that he's 16. More of an under age thing than a problem with beer altogether.

Where'd the quote box go?

Edited by Jay the Hawkhart Ace

I would say naive, not stupid. Generally Americans aren't too familiar with Japanese culture. Regardless if it's "remade" or not, it will be a different experience to someone from America than someone from Japan. If players were required to truly understand a different culture in order to enjoy their game then it wouldn't appeal to very many people in America, thus such changes are necessary.

Edited by SlimeVagrant
  • Upvote 1

It's rational if you're trying to sell the game. You don't want your customers to be put off by things that are taboo in their culture. Nintendo isn't thinking about all the other things that already appeal to America, they're trying to sell their game.

I've been kinda involved in this whole debate, so let me give you guys some clear example of bad localization and why this controversy blew up with people interested in this topic.

OP states that he doesn't care about de-sexualized costumes, removing of 'creepy' minigame features, etc. This is fair enough. I can understand that, but this hasn't really been the focus of the current discussion. The focus, at least from what I could gather from the major discussion, actually lies on changing character personalities, cutting dialog, changing dialog so much that it doesn't even resemble anything close to the original script and more. I'll follow up with concrete examples in this post.

The polygon article linked above with the alleged "drug scene" or "gay conversion" originated from a mistranslation by a tumblr blogger and was then picked up by the Polygon journalist and blown out of proportion. It really misrepresents what is actually happening in the game.

aKZvXfa.png

OP moves on to talk about boob sliders and that they and similar sexualized stuff aren't suitable for children, but there is still tons of that stuff in the game. Why remove one thing and not another? They removed the Bikinis from the wardrobe, but left in the underwear and bath scenes as well as "sexy armor".

LGE34IO.jpg

(Disclaimer: NoA pic is lvl1 shop, Orig is lvl 3 or 5, a source confirmed though that the Bikini is gone. Here is a video

)

3HNmUHr.jpg

(I didn't save a screencap from the bath scene, but you guys get the point, females in sexy(?) underwear are still in the game.)

At some point you have to realize that the game just isn't suitable for children and leave it unchanged for the older demographic. Or are you okay that your 7 year old can stare at that ass, but are offended by a female character appearing in swimsuit?

I don't really understand the change of religion and alcohol. I was like 12 when I played Breath Of Fire 2, a game with heavy religious aspects (albeit fantasy) and a pub/inn in every town. What I know is that if you force to change everything slightly offensive from the original script, a lot of meaning in lore and conversations can get lost, leaving the player sometimes wondering what actually happened, as might be the case in some of FE:F support conversations.

Moving on to what is actually important. Changing of character personalities. A really strong point is Elfie. Her character went from a soft spoken giant, that is aware of her strength, to some brutal dyke that constantly mentions how she could break the protag like a twig. Please listen to this: 

There are whole conversations butchered to deliver some,.. pun? meme? I don't even know. All I can say is that I prefer the fan translation of this dialog over the official NA localization that tells me absolute nothing about what is going on in this scene.psAdDwa.jpg

Similar to this scene. Which one conveys more emotions? Some weird meme or the actual translation?

DYkA8Tm.png

In these scene, the whole dialog was completely cut and replaced by "...", because "Assassins are broody silent killers that stare each other down to attain respect" or something like that, completely removing all the character building and other information this scene might convey to the player.

UKXDkTO.png

Video for better visualization: 

There is a character that gets friendzoned by all of his possible Supports, just because of ... why? He's getting happily married in the japanese version, so why change it so that he has to be a forever alone in the NA version?

tvjq6x5.png

These are just a few examples. There are dozens more of really important changes of characters and their personalities in the NA version that seem completely unnecessary and are worse in any case. Who would advocate for these changes?

Then there is stuff like typos, as if the editor did a bad job looking over the script to correct them, less voice options for the protag, inclusion of weird memes from the '50s that some people won't even get and are completely out of context, etc. I could post more, but I think that's already a lot of information to digest.

I agree with OP. We as gamers have grown up. So did videogames. There is no need to consider them just childrens toys. The industry has grown up as a whole. Fifteen years ago, bad localization with butchered dialog was kinda acceptable. We didn't know that it was butchered. We only realized small grammar mistakes. When we didn't understand a scene, we didn't stop and question ourselves if the translation was bad. We just moved on. Nowadays, with the internet, with information freely and easily accessible, with wiki's that explain to use lore, etc. we have a much deeper understanding and might get mad if we have to play a game that doesn't stay true to the script, changes way too freely and removes context that might be important for our favorite characters personalities. We are living at a time when localization is done by internal or external specifically hired teams of professionals. We expect quality localization that stays true to the original authors intention. OP mentioned that designers and writers won't care if their work gets changed. Well, they certainly won't make it public, since it's not their property. It's Nintendo of Japans property and they have no say in it anymore. I can tell you though, that these artists certainly don't like to see their work altered. Some professional translators and software localization studios even commented on this controversy and stated that they'd have stayed true to the script as far as possible. Changing puns that would only be understood by the japanese is a given, but with the FE:F localization we see that they did much more than just that.

Also, and this is very important. If you dismiss one change as not really important and acceptable, although it isn't, you are signalling that it is okay to deviate from the script and give the "translator", or in this case, writer, since he doesn't even translate, he can't speak japanese, he rewrote what was translated to him, the green light to be even more free to change other stuff and soon they include their own memes (forgot the game, but goons from the Something Awful forum that got a job as localizers put a meme related to them and Eve Online into the game, replacing the original text).

Edited by Calem
  • Upvote 2