Sign in to follow this  
addamay123

Dragon Quest V is super messed up

Like it's been a while since I've played but I was just thinking; it's really dark. Like REALLY dark.

Like the game starts, your mom dies. Your dad takes you and leaves to travel the world, and then you get kidnapped into monster slavery?? Anyway, you manage to escape and you get married and have kids. Then your wife gets kidnapped, you find her and then get turned into stone for eight years. Then it turns out you can open the demon gates so u gotta lead your whole family into hell to kill satan.

like w h a t  t h e  h e c k

Just wait for it. It gets worse in hell

• Upvote 1

That's what makes it stand out amongst the other games.

Plus it has Ladja, who truly became the best villain in the series thanks to the remakes.

Plus it has Ladja, who truly became the best villain in the series thanks to the remakes.

*This statement is in no way representative of Dragon's Den members' opinions.  Reference http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31659where he placed a lowly 4th place in the Zenithian trilogy alone!

• Upvote 1

*This statement is in no way representative of Dragon's Den members' opinions. Reference http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31659where he placed a lowly 4th place in the Zenithian trilogy alone!

The votes were rigged, I tells ya! :P

In all seriousness I'm not surprised. Ladja is just a personal favorite of mine just because he's a real bastard of a character. He's one of those characters you love to hate.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

My favorite part was when the Hero watches his pregnant wife die before his eyes from illness and they induce labor and only one of the twins survive.

• Upvote 1

Yeah that's one of my favorite things about V. It does the low points of the story better than any other game.

Not only does your mom die at the start of the game, but you watch your father get murdered for you, your hometown gets destroyed, you get sold into slavery for 10 years, AND your cat runs away.

*This statement is in no way representative of Dragon's Den members' opinions.  Reference http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31659where he placed a lowly 4th place in the Zenithian trilogy alone!

Okay I can MAYBE see Psaro beating Ladja, but if Nocturnus beat both of those maybe I actually should check out VI's postgame.

Edited by SlimeVagrant

Yeah that's one of my favorite things about V. It does the low points of the story better than any other game.

Not only does your mom die at the start of the game, but you watch your father get murdered for you, your hometown gets destroyed, you get sold into slavery for 10 years, AND your cat runs away.

Okay I can MAYBE see Psaro beating Ladja, but if Nocturnus beat both of those maybe I actually should check out VI's postgame.

Nokturnus doesn't waste time playing mind games- if you fart the wrong way he will destroy everything.

AT least when someone plays mind games there's a chance of outmaneuvering them. ANd when you corner them in, they'd best be the tough guy they claim to be.

In other words, I'd be scared of the murderer from the film Seven, but I'd be way more scared of Jason Vorhees.

• Upvote 1

I don't remember the hero's wife dying...

you're right, she doesn't. the hero's mother does though

My favorite part was when the Hero watches his pregnant wife die before his eyes from illness and they induce labor and only one of the twins survive.

Hard to believe that all happens from choosing Deborah.

• Upvote 1

you're right, she doesn't. the hero's mother does though

I thought that might be the case, it's been a while since I did a run through on this game.

you're right, she doesn't. the hero's mother does though
I thought that might be the case, it's been a while since I did a run through on this game.

Clearly you never played the optional Misery story DLC expansion pack.

• Upvote 1

Yeah man, DQV is super-dark, it's why I enjoy it.

That and

the complete idiot who summoned Nockturnus in VI only for the demon to basically eat his castle.

• Upvote 1

That and

the complete idiot who summoned Nockturnus in VI only for the demon to basically eat his castle.

To be fair he only summoned Nokturnus to fight Mortamer. Nokturnus just rebelled

That and

To be fair he only summoned Nokturnus to fight Mortamer. Nokturnus just rebelled
To be fair, he's still an idiot. I mean, it's not like anyone is suggesting bringing back Hilter to deal with US immigration problems. At some point you need to ask yourself if the risk is worth the reward. It wasn't, so... idiot.

I think the main events were dark, but for both the SNES and DS versions for different reasons, there are subtleties (little quotes, the music, or the graphics) that shake me even more. The SNES version does it even better, as there are no puns, bright graphics, or speeded up music. The

• Upvote 1

Makes me want to play it all the more because I love messed up stuff. The hero's opening scene in Dragon Quest IV was a glorious sight. :laugh:

Okay, seriously, I'm not that sick. I am, however, being honest about really liking dark themes in video games. Square Enix has always had a knack for those.

• Upvote 2

Lol. It took me awhile to realize what you meant by "your cat runs away", At least you get him back, though. Kinda reminds me of a Chrono Trigger ending, where all of your cats run away

When Ladja forces your dad to just die, I seriously freaked out. And Ladja isn't even the big boss! Until then I thought Breath of Fire 2's Habaruku was bad, because he nearly murders Patty (whose probably your sister). It really surprised me, because DQV only had a 10+ ESRB rating. I figured it was Teen until I looked it up

• Upvote 1

Madrigal, hate to stop the joke, but this was a joke.

Guys, it was a really funny joke. I liked it. It lost its appeal to me when someone actually thought the comment was serious and perhaps a mistake. (If not for that, its appeal would have lasted so much longer.)

Madrigal, hate to stop the joke, but this was a joke.Guys, it was a really funny joke. I liked it. It lost its appeal to me when someone actually thought the comment was serious and perhaps a mistake. (If not for that, its appeal would have lasted so much longer.)

Yeah i remember hero's wife dying from black plague and his kids were walking backwards.

Yeah i remember hero's wife dying from black plague and his kids were walking backwards.

Ooops double trouble

And just to add to the depressing and dark nature of this game, I'll choose Flora as my wife just to break Bianca's heart.

• Upvote 1

I chose Nera as my wife because Bianca annoyed me, but to each their own.