Sign in to follow this  
Cain

Getting a 3DS, recommend a game for me.

A friend of mine has Radiant Dawn for the Wii and Shadow Dragon for the DS so I'll just borrow them from him.  I'll probably end up buying Birthright and Conquest since I'm enjoying Awakening a lot.

I was planning on it. It's one of the cheaper to find used. It's a shame though. I was really interested in playing the games that feature Ike, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

Edited by eal

It's not an issue of having the systems to play them on. I have both, in fact. It's the outrageously overpriced cost that they run on eBay if you want them in fair enough condition used.

Man I'm hooked on FE: Awakening; such a good game.  My wife got me Bravely Default for my birthday and I just ordered FE: Birthright on Amazon.  I'm debating if I'll give Awakening a go on Hard or move on to Bravely Default.  Has anyone tried playing Awakening on Classic without save scumming when someone dies?  At first I thought I would be ok with it, but after losing a unit near the beginning I was like "the hell with that" and have been save scumming since.  I feel kinda dirty doing it, but it's my first time through and didn't feel like losing any more units.

I did it the first time through, but I honestly only let my weak units die. If I lost anyone of real value I'd turn the whole thing off. Even at times when I was inches away from clearing the map. You made a good choice with Birthright if doing that bothers you. Even with some experience under my belt, I did that a lot in Conquest. Also, so far, Birthright just generally feels like the better game of the two, even though I personally preferred Conquest's cast.

How far in are you, perchance?

I'm currently at chapter 15.  I've spent lots of times grinding to try and keep my unit levels balanced since I didn't really have many favourite characters at the beginning.  Chrome and Robin can probably do the entire game just the two of them.  I don't plan on doing re-classing or anything because right now it seems to be fairly easy.  There's a few children I'm unable to recruit at the moment because the opponents are just too strong, but I haven't had any issues with the story battles.

EDIT: Most of my deaths were early in the game, now I rarely die unless I do something incredibly stupid like putting a Pegasus Knight within range of a Sniper or something like that.

Edited by Cain

I didn't bother with re-classing. I just bumped most of my units to the next class and left it at that. Morgan, Robin's child, is worth getting. She's pretty OP. If you put time into Donnel, assuming you picked him up, he's practically unstoppable. Cordelia and Virion are also worthwhile investments.

I would suggest that you play Bravely Default soon enough though, I always have a lot of fun with it. :)

I'm glad to see you're enjoying Awakening!

I'm currently at chapter 15.  I've spent lots of times grinding to try and keep my unit levels balanced since I didn't really have many favourite characters at the beginning.  Chrome and Robin can probably do the entire game just the two of them.  I don't plan on doing re-classing or anything because right now it seems to be fairly easy.  There's a few children I'm unable to recruit at the moment because the opponents are just too strong, but I haven't had any issues with the story battles.

EDIT: Most of my deaths were early in the game, now I rarely die unless I do something incredibly stupid like putting a Pegasus Knight within range of a Sniper or something like that.

I forget when Donnel comes in, but don't forget to pick him up if you haven't already!

Isn't Donnel recruited kind of early if you do a side quest in a small village being attacked? He is the boy with the pot on his head with the country boy accent right?

Correct. You have to do an early side quest. The rub is that he has to level up before you rout the enemy or else he won't join you. His stats are exceptionally low and one or two attacks can kill him. He needs to either finish an enemy off or someone needs to defeat whoever may harm him after he attacks someone or else he could be killed in one more hit. However, he has an ability that guarantees his HP goes up every single time he levels up and there's also a much higher chance than average that all his other stats will go up as well. He has the highest rate of potential among every unit.

Correct. You have to do an early side quest. The rub is that he has to level up before you rout the enemy or else he won't join you. His stats are exceptionally low and one or two attacks can kill him. He needs to either finish an enemy off or someone needs to defeat whoever may harm him after he attacks someone or else he could be killed in one more hit. However, he has an ability that guarantees his HP goes up every single time he levels up and there's also a much higher chance than average that all his other stats will go up as well. He has the highest rate of potential among every unit.

The ability is Underdog, and he has the absolute best stat growth in the game. I ended up making him a Knight, I believe. He alone was able to mostly take on the final boss in the game on my first save. He is a ridiculous character.

That's what I thought. I think that stands out in my mind because right after getting him was when i quit playing.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I got Donnel, he's pretty kick ass once you level him up

Hopefully I'm not too late for it to be relevant, but the WiiU virtual console in NA already has the two GBA Fire Emblems that have been released in the West, and the PAL virtual console also has Shadow Dragon, so it will probably released in NA any week now.

...The release gap is actually rather large. It was released back in early July for PAL. There was only a 4 month wait for 'Fire Emblem' and a 5 and a half month wait for Sacred Stones, but 9 months is suspiciously large, especially since it's traditionally us PAL regioners that get the short end of the stick. So Shadow Dragon really should be coming out for you any week now.

My wife got me Bravely Default for my birthday and I just picked up FE: Birthright, so I have lots to keep me busy until DQ VII comes out.  A big thanks to those that suggested Fire Emblem, I'm having an absolute blast playing Awakening and will definitely go back and try some of the older games later.  I think I'm going to do another run through Awakening on hard mode before moving on to Bravely Default.  I'm going to leave Fates for after BD because I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time with that set of games.

Hopefully I'm not too late for it to be relevant, but the WiiU virtual console in NA already has the two GBA Fire Emblems that have been released in the West, and the PAL virtual console also has Shadow Dragon, so it will probably released in NA any week now.

...The release gap is actually rather large. It was released back in early July for PAL. There was only a 4 month wait for 'Fire Emblem' and a 5 and a half month wait for Sacred Stones, but 9 months is suspiciously large, especially since it's traditionally us PAL regioners that get the short end of the stick. So Shadow Dragon really should be coming out for you any week now.

I don't know how I forgot there were two GBA games. For some reason my brain merges them together a lot.

Awakening was my personal first "must have" game released for the 3ds (in NA) and I think it still stands as one of the best in its library.  I was a huge fan of the Shining Force series (which took all of its inspiration from FE) and SRPGs, in general, but Awakening was my first real dive into the FE series.