Getting a 3DS, recommend a game for me.

So I'm finally getting a 3DS, but need a game to go with it while I wait for DQVII to come out. I'd like to get an RPG of some sort but I can't decide what to get. I was thinking about Bravely Default, Fire Emblem or Tales of the Abyss, though I'm open to just about anything. The eShop is always an option for now as well. Any suggestions on what I should get?

I haven't played the 3DS version of Tales of the Abyss, but from my PS2 experience, I would say the following:

1) If you've ever played Symphonia or Vesperia, Abyss is a slightly slower and simplified version of these two battle systems.  If you're used to the 2D-side scrolling tales games, it's more combo heavy than Destiny and Phantasia, but nothing close to Eternia or Legendia.

2) If you've never played Symphonia or Vesperia, it's more of a 2.5D battle system, where you run in a direct line on a 3D plane, but change your direction and specific targeting.  Even full manual is not true unlimited 3D movement.  This has to do with targeting and range of attack skills, to assure maximum combo efficiency and counts.

3) The characters are...difficult to like.  Very difficult.  I'm talking about some of the most narcissistic characters on a whole, especially the main, in videogame history.  This changes at a certain point, but almost 30% of the game, starting from the beginning, has me wanting to slap him upside the head.  I guess it's refreshing in that the roster is a total changeup in attitude from the traditional videogame characters.

4) The world map.  It can be a bit overwhelming, as direction isn't always easy to figure out, and the map is HUGE with a lot of nothing, and far fewer bits of forest/mountains in between.  I don't know if this was improved on in the 3DS.  It's just easier to get lost compared to most Tales games and most RPG's in general, at a few points, especially due to the draw distance in the PS2 original (if this is improved in the 3DS it really shouldn't be much problem).

Step 1: Install *hax

Step 2: Import all 3DS Dragon Quest games

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit,

Are you a fan of Atlus RPGs, Cain? They have a good selection of titles if you're interested. To go into more depth, you have the Etrian Odyssey games (which includes EO4: Legends of the Titan, EO Untold: The Millenium Girl, EO Untold 2: The Fafnir Knight, and Etrian Mystery Dungeon), the various Shin Megami Tensei titles (includes 4, Soul Hackers, the Devil Survivor games, Persona Q), and titles they've published for the system outside their own franchises such as The Legend of Legacy and Citizens of Earth (an eshop game only).

Outside of that, there's the games you mentioned, Rune Factory 4, the Pokemon games (both main line and Mystery Dungeon games), the Mario & Luigi games (Dream Team and Paper Jam), Fantasy Life, and Yo-Kai Watch. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Not an RPG, but I would definitely recommend some of the 3DS Zelda games. A Link Between Worlds is a bit on the easy side, but I enjoyed it a lot. I also highly recommend the Majora's Mask remake. Even if you played the original, the updates and changes make it a blast to play again.

Edited by The Chief
  • Upvote 1

I'll be the cheerleader for Fire Emblem on this one. Awakening and Fates: Birthright are good for beginners or people who want an easier time while Fates: Conquest is more in line with usual, more difficult Fire Emblem games. Watching your units slowly overtake the opponent and clear the field is very rewarding to me and I like the little support conversations between them. Music for both Awakening and Fates are strong and the storyline for Awakening is just as good too. I'm only a little under halfway through Conquest and I haven't touched Birthright yet so I can't tell you if the story is good, bad, or any better however.

I pretty much second every game my twinsie, Yangus just said.

For a fun little title, try Dragon Fantasy on the eshop. I enjoyed it on my phone, but I never loved it until the 3DS release.

• Upvote 1

I pretty much second every game my twinsie, Yangus just said.

I laughed at that way more than I should have, only because I completely forgot about that joke.

RPG twins for life.

• Upvote 1

Oh right, I forgot all about Xenoblade being on the 3DS now. If you get a New 3DS, that'd be worth checking out. Just keep in mind you won't be able to play it on a standard 3DS and have to have the New 3DS.

It wasn't my favorite RPG, but I'd still recommend Xenoblade for the large world and interesting characters and stories it has. Just don't over do it on the side quests, and you'll have a good time.

While people may argue Zelda isn't an RPG, it's definitely something I'd say people who like RPGs would like. I recommend Majora's Mask for good story and non linear gameplay( Also MM is my favorite in the franchise and LoZ is my favorite franchise therefore MM is my favorite game ever, therefore MM is the best game ever, therefore my opinion is the only true one and everyone else knows this but they deny it).

Incase you can't tell I'm joking.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

I think just about every RPG that could be mentioned here has been mentioned. There are only a few exceptions that I can think of. Hyrule Warriors: Legends will be out soon (it's a Dynasty Warriors game, though, and they seem to be love it or hate it games). Kingdom Hearts DDD is available, although it'll also soon be available on the PS4. Heroes of Ruin is a western RPG (ironically, licensed by Square Enix). Final Fantasy titles are limited to the already mentioned Bravely Default, the Theatrhythm games (music RPGs) and Final Fantasy Explorers, a Monster Hunter styled game. Speaking of Monster Hunter, 3 Ultimate and 4 Ultimate are available.

Just ordered the new 3DS XL so I'll be able to play Xenoblade should I decide to get that. The system was on sale on Amazon so I decided to jump on it.

I mean, it's a 100-hour game so buckle up, buttercup.

Games like that you've got to really, really be in the mood to play for a long time.

It's been a while since I've played a game that long, but since it'll be my only game for the time being, it shouldn't be a problem. We'll see what I end up doing. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'm going to have to recommend the newer Adventure Time dungeon crawler.

It's purdy decent.

Now, there's also several OTHER games. I guess give... hm. I don't know. Adventure Time.

I ended up picking up FIre Emblem: Awakening, which gives me some more options later on if I enjoy it.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I should be getting the system tomorrow.  :)

Eal, have you played any of the FE games prior to Awakening? Just curious and I might as well ask since FE has been brought up.

I've been trying to for awhile now but the older games are impossible to find. I, like most people, discovered the series through Awakening and I've been looking all over for the older ones. Particularly Shadow Dragon for DS. I was gonna settle for a used copy at a price that would probably be too high but when Nintendo announced VC for Wii U I've been waiting on potential rereleases for the older games. I've been sitting on the Gameboy Advance game for a bit but I've had a problem lately in finding the motivation to boot up my Wii U.

Great call with Fire Emblem Awakening.  I've a few hours in and I am enjoying it despite the characters and story thus far being rather cliche.  The battle system is quite fun, which is what has me hooked.  I'll definitely try out some of the other games in the series.

Good luck finding them. Even used they're expensive. The only readily available games right now is the first one to come to American shores on Virtual Console for Wii U, Fates, and Awakening.