Sign in to follow this  
Bururian

New DQMJ3 screens

saying that large size monsters limits the player's freedom to play the game how they want is just.... silly. the game was simpler and less complicated without large size monsters.

ya know what else limits dqm? the fact I can't use a machine gun or a jet plane :-p mark rosewater wrote a beautiful article on magicthegathering.com about how limits are what made game design entertaining.  if you want unrelenting freedom play some sort of no-ruleset imagination based pen and paper game... or...

probably what you want is to join an improv group :-p  or just watch "who's line is it anyway?"

You say my assertion is silly, yet you give you no examples why or how you came to that conclusion.

In DQM:J2 (the last DQM to come to the states, and subsequently the last DQM I've played), SE added in monster sizes lazily. All that monsters get for their sizes are stat buffs, an extra one or two skill slots, and Big Hitter/Grand Slammer; all at the cost of 1-2 extra party slots. Large and Giant monsters aren't even good, and are far outclassed by a team of three that can all attack/buff/heal independently.

And I have no idea how your last few sentences pertain to the issue.

A while back, we got a screen from Famitsu showing a two slot Archdemon and Chargon. Unless they were given Megabody, Joker 3 is shaking up the sizes of certain monsters.

What's Megabody and Gigabody? Someone mentioned being able to synthesize this to a monster - does that mean that sizes are optional in the japan-only DQM games?

Edited by Jimmu_Dudeski

A while back, we got a screen from Famitsu showing a two slot Archdemon and Chargon. Unless they were given Megabody, Joker 3 is shaking up the sizes of certain monsters.

What's Megabody and Gigabody? Someone mentioned being able to synthesize this to a monster - does that mean that sizes are optional in the japan-only DQM games?

Those are traits that make a monster be 2-slot (Megabody) or 3-slot (Gigabody). There's also the SuperGigabody trait, for 4-slot monsters. Normally you can't change monster traits unless you make a special kind of breeding (DQM-3D and DQM2-3D) / synthesis (DQMJ3), which is unlocked in the post-game. 

Sizes are not optional and in the 3ds remakes of the original games, you could only increase a monster's size. Now, in Joker 3 you can also reduce a monster's size. Still not optional, but incredible more versatile. So you can have an army of 4 small Empyreas if you want to.

Those two monsters Jay mentioned are now 2-slot monsters by default. They made some strange changes in that aspect. Monsters like Balhib or Spitnik (and all their recolors) are now 3-slot mons. Its pretty weird.

Those are traits that make a monster be 2-slot (Megabody) or 3-slot (Gigabody). There's also the SuperGigabody trait, for 4-slot monsters. Normally you can't change monster traits unless you make a special kind of breeding (DQM-3D and DQM2-3D) / synthesis (DQMJ3), which is unlocked in the post-game. 

Sizes are not optional and in the 3ds remakes of the original games, you could only increase a monster's size. Now, in Joker 3 you can also reduce a monster's size. Still not optional, but incredible more versatile. So you can have an army of 4 small Empyreas if you want to.

Those two monsters Jay mentioned are now 2-slot monsters by default. They made some strange changes in that aspect. Monsters like Balhib or Spitnik (and all their recolors) are now 3-slot mons. Its pretty weird.

Not sure if I posted about it at all on these forums, but I had the exact same idea as a "what if" situation - special breeding to change size, and make the size limit optional. Since its only available post-game, it isn't as accessible as I would have preferred, and it wont make up for the shitshow it caused when first showing up in DQM:J2, but I guess its a start.

Though, Square Enix needs to get its head out of its ass and figure out what they want to do with their games. Are they going to add in the mandatory size clause, and then slowly nerf it with each iteration of DQM? To me it seems like they just forced it in and are slowly going back on it.

They'll probably come out with DQM:J4 with sizes completely optional and customizable, but probably won't even release that game in the states. Because they're morons.

What changes will happen if you reduce a monster's size?

Less skills, less traits and lower stats, basically.

SPOILERS

this is the final boss (I am not sure if this has been posted yet)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B73j4cBXUYRNWU9rU3RWMlRNRHM/view?usp=sharing

He basically looks like if you put in Ozotto, Orgodemir, and Senketsu into a blender

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

SPOILERS

He basically looks like if you put in Ozotto, Orgodemir, and Senketsu into a blender

That guy looks pretty Boss

Ba-dum Tss

Personally, I agree with your sentiments, Cobi, so it's fair to me.  I found ORAS & XY to be disappointing in some regards, such as XY limiting Pokémon riding mechanics, and ORAS not having a wardrobe setup for Hoenn (though they had no problems converting Mauville City, for example).  If Sun/Moon doesn't prioritize extreme exploration where you need stuff like the Magma/Aqua Suit, I will have some issues.

To be honest, I got into Dragon Quest Monsters Joker because I wanted to try something different as Pokémon had gotten stagnant for me (I wasn't following too much at the time, but I still consider the 4th Generation to be the worst of the series, in terms of new Pokémon & location in Sinnoh) and although there weren't a lot of monsters in the first game, I was very hooked into playing it.

Also, I think Canzar (the Crab Monster you are likely referring to) got an update since it's an original, DQM-only creation.

Edited by Vulcanos

Personally, I agree with your sentiments, Cobi, so it's fair to me.  I found ORAS & XY to be disappointing in some regards, such as XY limiting Pokémon riding mechanics, and ORAS not having a wardrobe setup for Hoenn (though they had no problems converting Mauville City, for example).  If Sun/Moon doesn't prioritize extreme exploration where you need stuff like the Magma/Aqua Suit, I will have some issues.

To be honest, I got into Dragon Quest Monsters Joker because I wanted to try something different as Pokémon had gotten stagnant for me (I wasn't following too much at the time, but I still consider the 4th Generation to be the worst of the series, in terms of new Pokémon & location in Sinnoh) and although there weren't a lot of monsters in the first game, I was very hooked into playing it.

Also, I think Canzar (the Crab Monster you are likely referring to) got an update since it's an original, DQM-only creation.

I'm having really low expectations for Sun/Moon, now. Gamefreak is seriously incompetent and as long as people keep buying their rehashes they will never change. I don't know why people keep buying them either because I always hear the same complaints every game. "It's just like every other pokemon game! Get 8 badges, beat the evil team, then conquer the elite 4! There are not enough new pokemon/the new pokemon are ugly/the new pokemon suck in battle! Why did they take out feature X!?" Yet they have no problems buying the next pokemon game on day 1. Are people that dense?

It's a pity Joker 3 turned out to be a huge disappointment as well. At least the servers for DQM1 and DQM2 are still online. But I'm still yearning for a monster catching game that has balanced gameplay. The dragon quest monster games are the closest I know. Pokemon is absolutely horrid. I believe last VGC the top 10 teams consisted of 9 different pokemon in total. Out of the 700-something possible choices. At least that will never happen in DQM.

I meant the blue Crabid (called Crabber Dabber Doo or something equally stupid in DQ9). I don't believe Canzar, or any of the other Zodiac monsters are in Joker 3.

Well, that DID happen in the US servers of Joker 2. Out of the 300 or so monsters it was always Balhib, Night Clubber, Metal King, Liqud Metal, and/or Wight King. Although, I can absolutely say the balancing in Pokemon as a whole is non existent, and it's not like Joker 2 where it was one game. Unless they completely overhaul all 700+ pokemon along with the new ones they'll bring in, there's no hope for "Balanced gameplay". No one will break the mold because it's simply not possible. I don't know why people buy it if they're not gonna enjoy it. Nostalgia perhaps? 

And the blue Crab is Handsome Crab....

To be fair, VGC uses the doubles format, so that immediately reduces the number of viable Pokemon. This year they also allow up to two legendaries per team, which kills the viability of even more monsters. It's no surprise that most of the top teams are very similar.

In singles format and with legends banned there are plenty of options for team building.

To be fair, VGC uses the doubles format, so that immediately reduces the number of viable Pokemon. This year they also allow up to two legendaries per team, which kills the viability of even more monsters. It's no surprise that most of the top teams are very similar.

In singles format and with legends banned there are plenty of options for team building.

I don't even understand the doubles format being the norm for pokemon tournaments. Maybe its just me being a nostalgia goggles wearing purist, but I hate double battles, and I've never and will never play doubles competitively.

SPOILERS

Guess who returns too, might have been posted earlier

2qx97xd.png

Im gonna say this in a spoiler tag

There's a flashback too

hqdefault.jpg

im still not 100% sure the joker 1 protagonist is the joker 3 protagonist though...

This is the final story boss

Its called ã‚¬ãƒ«ãƒžã‚¶ãƒ¼ãƒ‰ 

hosidora_160327j-9-300x177.jpg

This is the last post-game boss

Its name is ダグジャガルマ

SnapCrab_NoName_2016-4-2_13-31-50_No-00.

Toriyama's designs only get weirder with every new game.

Have you seen this one yet?

big1_001.jpg

Edited by Awesomeinblue
  • Upvote 1

Well, that DID happen in the US servers of Joker 2. Out of the 300 or so monsters it was always Balhib, Night Clubber, Metal King, Liqud Metal, and/or Wight King. Although, I can absolutely say the balancing in Pokemon as a whole is non existent, and it's not like Joker 2 where it was one game. Unless they completely overhaul all 700+ pokemon along with the new ones they'll bring in, there's no hope for "Balanced gameplay". No one will break the mold because it's simply not possible. I don't know why people buy it if they're not gonna enjoy it. Nostalgia perhaps? 

And the blue Crab is Handsome Crab....

Joker 2 is the odd one out with stat caps based on ranks (along with joker 1 jp) so that doesn't surprise me. There is plenty of variation in the 3DS games. Sure, some monsters are more popular than others, but it doesn't come even remotely close to what you see in pokemon.

Pokemon VGC 2015 looked like this:

DgL6em3.jpg

And that's doubles. Mega kangaskhan is even more OP in singles. So what did gamefreak do when they released OR/AS? Oh right, they gave her EVEN STRONGER MOVES. I'm not making this up. Gamefreak deserves a prize for this.

But to get back at dragon quest monsters, I think it would be nice if the star rank-based matchmaking would be introduced in the pokemon games. It's the least they can do in the disaster they created.

Also I don't really like the final bosses of the recent monster games. Joker 1 was fine, from there on they kept adding some random generic badass monster who is not revealed until 5 seconds before you fight it. At least joker 2 had a theme of the zodiac going on. DQM2's "Nameless king of darkness" is just random lovecraftian monster #4368. Now it's a robot with massive hips. Eh. You run out of ideas after designing well over a 1000 monsters, I guess.

That would be fine if those 1000 monsters were there for us. The final boss could be Estark for all I care. I've seen a fair bit variance so far in J3. Ya know...as much as there could be.