DranzerX13's DQVIII 3DS Yangus Only Challenge (JPN Ver) *Boss 13 a

Dragon Quest VIII 3DS Yangus Only playthrough

Is it possible? Yes... but very hard and annoying much later in the game.

The final boss before you unlock the post-game content you have to have everyone alive when facing Rhapthorne, but there is a creative way of doing the Yangus only challenge during that boss fight, which I'll get into that later.

I played up to the point where you get the ship, then going to Princess Minnie's Castle. I then started a new game because I wanted to distribute my skill points differently.

Here's the breakdown of my new playthrough....

VS Zaban

VS Oceanon (Khalamari)

VS Tortured Soul

Edited by DranzerX13
  • Upvote 1

You haven't seen anything yet... I haven't even got to the difficult bosses yet.

For really really tough bosses that rack up the damage, where mid-heal, and healing items aren't enough, you'll need to be over-leveled to do lots of damage and kill your opponent first.

The advantages of the mobile version:

Combining items in the alchemy pot is instant, but the encounters are random encounters.

Save almost anywhere.

Advantages in the 3DS version:

Combining items in the alchemy pot is still the same as the mobile version.

no random encounters, making it easier and less time consuming to find Metal Slimes, Liquid Metal Slimes, etc.

Photo Quests, which can earn you extra items, weapons, armor, etc.

Save almost anywhere.

Edited by DranzerX13

Dang, I wasn't even near level 45 when I beat Rhapthorne. (with a full team of course)

Edited by SlimeVagrant

Yesterday I fought Dhoulmagus at level 44. In order to beat his first form, you need to quickly tension to 50, then use Big Banga, which will take out his two dopplegangers in one hit. After that, just do normal attacks till you beat him. I used 4 Lesser Panacea's during the fight with his 1st form, the 2nd form I used another 4, then I lost. He eventually beat me, so I'm going to fight both forms again at level 50. I'm not going to cheat by winning against his first form, then loosing on his second on purpose, then save it. This is to prove you can beat both forms (Yangus only) without dying at all.

Right now I'm at level 48.

Edited by DranzerX13

You can do it, friend. GODDESS SPEED!

I stopped watching the videos because I've never played VIII and I don't want to be spoiled too much before I play it, but I want to say that this is a really neat playthrough you're doing, I've always enjoyed seeing challenge playthroughs of games. :)

Good luck with the rest of the game!

Yangus Only VS Marcello...

Note: This battle is based on luck with his Whack spell. You can get through the whole battle without it working, but having the holy Talisman equipped sure helps. Everything else about this battle is easy.