Sign in to follow this  
beets

Why Your Final Fantasy-Loving Friend Won't Touch Dragon Quest

I have a friend, as I am sure you all do, who is in love with the Final Fantasy series. As someone who has played and enjoyed both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, I attempted to have a conversation with this friend, to see what he thought of the two series, and why he would play one but not the other.

So, for this topic, we will be discussing Final Fantasy vs. Dragon Quest.

Important backround:

• Friend A has played every Final Fantasy game. Friend A has played Dragon Quest IX.
  • Beets (yours truly) has played every Dragon Quest game. Beets has played the Final Fantasy games numbered I-VII, with some experience with XII and XIII and general knowledge about the rest. 

Let us being the conversation.

Beets: oh. so you've played the generic one

Friend A: well beets, i get the impression they are all generic

Beets: i just meant that DQ9's got no faces. all I meant was that that game's town's are all disconnected, and that the story is fed to you in little bits, and that you just forget the bits after you've been fed. that's all I meant! i really meant that you played the least representative sample of a Dragon Quest game that you possibly could have. you can't say the series is generic without having played the rest

Friend A: ok, Final Fantasy I, II, and III, they tried to be Dragon Quest--

Beets: they sure tried to be!

Friend A: right, and for all intensive purposes they might as well be Dragon Quests

Beets: yo, for the sake of argument, let's just say that Final Fantasy I is better than Dragon Quest I. now, i don't actually think that, but let's just say it is, because many would think so. Dragon Quest has one character. Final Fantasy has four characters. that's kinda critical, you know?

Friend A: right, so, rpgs are about role-playing. Dragon Quests are about role-playing you; you name your character and you go on a quest. Final Fantasy gives the player four party members. so, if the player wants the black mage to be stoic, they can, and if they want their monk to be very brave, they can

Beets: yeah, in Dragon Quest, you only had one party member. in Final Fantasy, you have four. that's four times the $#!& to manage; people like that! people play games, as we have discussed earlier, because they like to manage $#!&. where do you think your milk and cheese come from, anyway?

dude, the monsters--let's have a history lesson. take a peak at the boxarts for these games:

look man, japan got this pretty cool anime boxart with toriyama's work all over it. people like that stuff.

dragonquestj.jpg

then look at this! this is what people in america where sold: Dragon Warrior. it's generic, it envokes Dungeons & Dragons ripoff.

dragon_warrior_box_us.jpg

and i mean we can't deny it, Dragon Quest a love letter to Dungeons & Dragons. but people in japan saw toriyama's boxart, and then they played the game, and nothing looks like toriyama's art! like, nothing. except for the dragon and dragonlord. but he's not 'till like the end, man. i guess there's the golem, too. but man, the rest look like an ugly globs of pixels. but you know what? nobody cared: japan ate that stuff up. they loved it for what it was. it's fun. Dragon Quest is fun.

and then comes Dragon Warrior. all the kids look at it and think "ahh yeahh, time for a cool manly beef-time, time to add another dragon head to my wall of plastic swords," right? that's what this boxart says.

Friend A: but that's what marketing is. they were able to market the same game to two different markets.

Beets: yeah but it failed! nobody cared about Dragon Warrior in america. people saw this boxart, they expected something, and they play it and didn't get that something. they expected to go on a dragon-killing spree only to be disappointed that there's only two dragons. people wanted dragon combat, but Dragon Warrior isn't about the combat . . .

Friend A: then what is it about

Beets: it's about the people! the towns you explore, the conversations you have. there's only one save point, but you don't lose experience, so long as you don't turn off the game anyone can beat it. but it's never about "man, i'm ready to kick some big dragon butt"

Friend A: it's about the classic role-playing adventure. it's about The Quest

Beets: yeah! but they wanted to market it different

Friend A: yeah, the marketing flopped, and they couldn't give 'em away

Beets: do you know there's three sequels on the NES? three! nobody knows what those are! and then Final Fantasy comes along

Friend A: right, nobody wants to play 3 or 4 because of the ever lurking question "what if i missed something big in the previous game?" the smartest thing Final Fantasy did with regards with its western releases was to skip the games and rename the ones they did release "II" and "III"

Beets: yeah they skipped the bad ones. best decision squaresoft has ever made!

Friend A: Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are both about the classic role-playing adventure. some might argue Final Fantasy did it a little bit better, by giving you more party members, and II tried to give the characters personality and goals--

Beets: let's not talk about II--no one wants to talk about II

Friend A: no one wants to talk about II, and they shouldn't, but the point is they tried something, which is big. Dragon Quest is about perfection. if one guy doesn't like one Dragon Quest, i'd find it hard to recommend the others in the series, whereas i could recommend a different Final Fantasy game to each person depending on who they are . . .

to be continued

in the meantime, let's ask ourselves this incredibly leading question: is Final Fantasy better than Dragon Quest?

Some final fantasies are better than some dragon quests.

I'd probably take FFVII, IX and xii over any dq. But for the rest i enjoyed dq more

I-I like Final Fantasy II... but in regards to the question, as a recent convert to the DQ series who before preferred FF by a huge margin I can say they are different beasts. I play DQ expecting a very different experience than I would get from FF and it delivers. When I was younger I didn't have patience for the DQ experience but now I do and I enjoy it immensely. For me personally the mechanics of a game and the resulting gameplay that arises from them is the most important. DQ much more consistent with its mechanics than FF which can be both good and bad. I don't feel either is better than the other objectively and the experience I want will determine which I pick to play at the given time. That being said they release main FF games so slowly now I doubt I'll ever have the dilemma of having to choose one over the other. I still have to play DQV,VI,VII, and IX before I can form my fully informed opinion of the series but I will say that I feel DQI has aged way worse than FFI.

Im the friend that has played every DQ game (except VII because it has never been released in Europe yet, but i imported and beat the japanese 3ds remake without understanding) and only a FF game (IV)  :P

Also, comparing DQ1 to FF1 is unfair. By the time FF1 was released, they released DQ3, which had up to 4 characters, more interesting mechanics, etc...

Because modern Final Fantasy fans aren't the kind of people who like Dragon Quest. You know who I'm talking about. The spiky hair, the hideously garish clothing, the emo, the edge, the Kingdom Hearts. They like the style moreso than the substance. I could never recommend Dragon Quest to those people.

Edited by eal
  • Upvote 2

I would classify DQ9 as the most representative game of the entire series.

Because modern Final Fantasy fans aren't the kind of people who like Dragon Quest. You know who I'm talking about. The spiky hair, the hideously garish clothing, the emo, the edge, the Kingdom Hearts. They like the style moreso than the substance.

A lot of truth to these observations.

===

I also hate to be a nitpick here, but it's "intents and purposes" not "intensive purposes".

===

Also..."nothing looks like Toriyama's Art!  Nothing..."  Um, no, the monsters did, and that was the connection.  Towns, tiles, and characters clearly couldn't due to a number of factors, including limitations and comprehensive knowledge and skill in creating that look for on-screen characters, but the monsters always tied things directly to Toriyama's work from the first game onward.

===

I need some oxygen.  It's like reading a conversation of dude-bro's, or two "nerds" from "Idiocracy."

===

in the meantime, let's ask ourselves this incredibly leading question: is Final Fantasy better than Dragon Quest?

For future reference, leave out 'incredibly.'  It's unnecessary, and distracting.  Nevermind that it's used incorrectly.  Nor is this a 'leading question,' as it is the only question asked and present here.

I'd say no and yes at the same time.  I find I enjoy Dragon Quest as a series more than Final Fantasy as a series, but I prefer taking each game as an individual experience.

I have to get going, and I'll try to remember to finish this up later, but I think the question is silly on the surface, and ridiculous on all levels.  It's a personal question.  Which series do you enjoy more?  Which games do you enjoy more?

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

Because modern Final Fantasy fans aren't the kind of people who like Dragon Quest. You know who I'm talking about. The spiky hair, the hideously garish clothing, the emo, the edge, the Kingdom Hearts. They like the style moreso than the substance. I could never recommend Dragon Quest to those people.

You're hitting too close to home. I have friends who love KH/FF, but Dragon Quest? "They all look like Goku!" is the #1 response I always get. It's so annoying.

I have to agree with this too. A lot of my RPG loving friends are like this, and any attempts to introduce them to DQ falls flat on its face.

Though there is one friend of mine who has played IX but refuses to play any game in the series prior to it.

I did have one friend give the games a shot, but he emulated the first 4 and played with maxed out levels from the start on all characters and got through the games in a week or two. 

I did have one friend give the games a shot, but he emulated the first 4 and played with maxed out levels from the start on all characters and got through the games in a week or two.

Now where's the fun in that?!

There's an audience even amongst those who prefer style.  It's just a matter of knowing HOW to sell DQ.  You can't sell it like FF.  You have to hone in on what DQ really is, which I've yet to see in any advertising campaign.

Everyone, no matter their life, or heritage, or current state of existence, has wanderlust built into them.  Some fear the unknown, and so never leave their hovel or hometown, but yet still dream of the world outside of their mundane existence.  DQ actually captures this.  FF does not, because FF is essentially about a sweeping story you're caught up on.  DQ is about exploring the world at large to figure out what's going on.  It's a more basic representation of Western RPG elements of wandering a landscape.

Now where's the fun in that?!

Nowhere. When he beat the first one on the first day I thought it was fair. You really can beat that game in a day if you really get at it. When he beat DQ2 within the next three days I was suspicious, then DQ3 in 4 days, then DQ4 in another 4. He's married, works full time and has a Kid. There's no way he did that. Then he admitted he cheated.

Usually when people do that it's so they can just experience the story. Like how some games have an exceptionally easy difficulty setting with text that explicitly says it's for people who just want the story. I'm sorry, but Dragon Quest games don't have much plot to speak of and it's not all that riveting to begin with so yes, that sort of does ruin the fun.

• Upvote 1

It's like Ignasia said, It's all about that wanderlust. I love exploring the world of the DQ game I'm in. Story is important but that's second here.

Also, comparing DQ1 to FF1 is unfair. By the time FF1 was released, they released DQ3, which had up to 4 characters, more interesting mechanics, etc...

I compare two games in the time I currently exist in regardless of when they were made. I could compare DQI to pong if I wanted, I would say DQ has aged better than pong. Now, DQIII has aged well and in many ways is similar to FFI. This is what I would tell anyone if I was comparing those 2 games.

It's like Ignasia said, It's all about that wanderlust. I love exploring the world of the DQ game I'm in. Story is important but that's second here.

Eal may explode after because of the two words I'm about to use, but that's the reason I love Etrian Odyssey as much as Dragon Quest. Being able to explore the world (or the labyrinth) and having the story evolve thanks to character interactions in town is great. And when the games/series do bring in the major story moments, they are well done and interesting.

I enjoy an RPG that more story focused, but I find that the series I enjoy the most are the ones where I can explore to my hearts content and get lost in the gameplay and still have a fun, interesting story that isn't in my face all the time.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I'd probably take FFVII, IX and xii over any dq. 

:worried:  :worried: FFXII over ANY DQ?  :worried:  :worried:

Don't you realize that FFXII just pla... nope.  Not going to go there.  I should just put my complaints about that game my signature along with "It's not coming".  In fact, I'm going to carefully update my signature right now.

• Upvote 2

Eal may explode after because of the two words I'm about to use, but that's the reason I love Etrian Odyssey as much as Dragon Quest. Being able to explore the world (or the labyrinth) and having the story evolve thanks to character interactions in town is great. And when the games/series do bring in the major story moments, they are well done and interesting.

I enjoy an RPG that more story focused, but I find that the series I enjoy the most are the ones where I can explore to my hearts content and get lost in the gameplay and still have a fun, interesting story that isn't in my face all the time.

I'd go into things about EO that aren't bad, but that's off topic. I understand what you mean. Subjectively you also have to like the visual of said game, right? That's why a lot of people can enjoy one, some, or all the FF titles, they are all pretty much (outside direct sequels (X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, etc.)) everything has its own visual style. DQ has had the same style for the last 30 years and if someone can't get past that, there's no way they are going to enjoy the games (see my "Everyone looks like goku" post above). That alone has stopped several people I know, as well as the 'less accessible' nature of the games where you aren't just told where to go and what to do without actually exploring a little bit by talking to towns people and the like.

I'd go into things about EO that aren't bad, but that's off topic. I understand what you mean. Subjectively you also have to like the visual of said game, right? That's why a lot of people can enjoy one, some, or all the FF titles, they are all pretty much (outside direct sequels (X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, etc.)) everything has its own visual style. DQ has had the same style for the last 30 years and if someone can't get past that, there's no way they are going to enjoy the games (see my "Everyone looks like goku" post above). That alone has stopped several people I know, as well as the 'less accessible' nature of the games where you aren't just told where to go and what to do without actually exploring a little bit by talking to towns people and the like.

If you do want to talk about it (EO I mean), then may I suggest here.

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33518&page=3&do=findComment&comment=447968

I-I like Final Fantasy II... but in regards to the question, as a recent convert to the DQ series who before preferred FF by a huge margin I can say they are different beasts. I play DQ expecting a very different experience than I would get from FF and it delivers. When I was younger I didn't have patience for the DQ experience but now I do and I enjoy it immensely. For me personally the mechanics of a game and the resulting gameplay that arises from them is the most important. DQ much more consistent with its mechanics than FF which can be both good and bad. I don't feel either is better than the other objectively and the experience I want will determine which I pick to play at the given time. That being said they release main FF games so slowly now I doubt I'll ever have the dilemma of having to choose one over the other. I still have to play DQV,VI,VII, and IX before I can form my fully informed opinion of the series but I will say that I feel DQI has aged way worse than FFI.

LOL I just like to pick on Final Fantasy II (the famicom version).

For future reference, leave out 'incredibly.'  It's unnecessary, and distracting.  Nevermind that it's used incorrectly.  Nor is this a 'leading question,' as it is the only question asked and present here.

I'd say no and yes at the same time.  I find I enjoy Dragon Quest as a series more than Final Fantasy as a series, but I prefer taking each game as an individual experience.

I have to get going, and I'll try to remember to finish this up later, but I think the question is silly on the surface, and ridiculous on all levels.  It's a personal question.  Which series do you enjoy more?  Which games do you enjoy more?

It sure is ridiculous on the surface. And thanks for clarifying on my English. This conversation was just had to see my why my friend wouldn't play one series when he's played the other.

And I suppose I talk like a dude-bro.

You mentioned that Dragon Quest was influenced by D&D(It was, but with some elements from Wizardry and Ultima from what I've read), but the first Final Fantasy was heavily influenced by D&D, to the point that the localization had to change one enemy family to avoid copyright issues with TSR.

https://tcrf.net/Final_Fantasy#Enemies

The Beholder ^

Then there are the Mindflayers, I'm amazed that didn't have to be changed(They do have a different name in NES version, but the Dawn of Souls remake calls them Mindflayer).

Dragon Warrior VII was the first DQ game I saw which annoyed me a lot when I saw how it looked a lot like Dragonball. 

5 or so years later, I got my hands on a Chinese Portable Media Player which had the three NES FFs and four DWs pre-installed. Of course, I ignored DW and set to finish the FF games first, which didn't fully quench my thirst for classic JRPGaming (I was thoroughly impressed with FF III which I thought was somewhat complex for a NES game).

I then continued with DW III with a "Meh" attitude. But there was a point during my adventures where I was like "What the.... Why am I starting to like this game!?!" 

Now I'm looking forward to DQ XI and I don't bother keeping myself updated with FF XV and the FF VII Remake. 

Truth is, when Final Fantasy was really making a name for itself in the States, DQ was nowhere to be seen. The franchise totally bypassed the SNES era here, and only came to the PSX way late in its cycle. In the meanwhile, FF had IV, VI, VII, and VIII to endear itself to America, which it did in spades, diamonds, and hearts. It's only natural that DQ would lose out on all those fans in the process.

Still, I wouldn't take it too hard. I mean, try getting a Final Fantasy fan to give the Ultima series a chance. Hoo...!

Edited by Sykonee

I have never had this issue.

Every friend that I have, that has played all of the FF games, also enjoy DQ.

There are some FF titles that I prefer over some DQ titles and vice versa as well.

And really, your friend did play one of the weakest entries in DQ, in my opinion of course. I'd never recommend 9 to someone who wanted to get a good taste of what DQ is. For that, i'd either point them towards 5 or 8. Depending on their play style and what they look for in a game.

Though, if they want a dark and brooding story with emo characters, then they might wanna stick with FF. DQ titles don't have too many of those...Thankfully.

• Upvote 1

While I haven't spoken to people in real life about FF often enough to know if any of my friends are those sort of people, I have to agree with the style vs substance thing that a few people have said. However, I disagree with putting Kingdom Hearts in the same 'style' category. KH is sort of like what happens when FF tries to take inspiration from DQ (I'm not sure whether Chrono Trigger is the same or the other way around). 

In comparison, I can definitely complain about the specific mindsets that my friends who are fans of Skyrim and Kingdom Hearts have. But that's a different topic.