Dragon Quest V & VI Super Famicom in Electronic Gaming Monthly

Wow, I actually remember reading that DQV blurb while waiting in a grocery store line-up. I didn't have a SNES, but I knew as soon as that game came out, I was gonna' get one. And so I waited. And waited. And waited. And waited...

Edited by Sykonee

Thanks for sharing these scans.

The changes in the first article for DQ5 are neat; the battle layering, the battleback, the change in overworld tiles. It's always intriguing to see the alterations a game goes through by the time its release. I wished they kept that battle background.

Cool, I don't think I've ever seen these articles(Although I do remember seeing DQ5 in the import store ads).

I still have a Nintendo Power that has an article about DQ6, although I'm sure that's scanned and posted online somewhere(I was wanting to scan it just in case, but I have no scanner currently).

Cool, I don't think I've ever seen these articles(Although I do remember seeing DQ5 in the import store ads).

I still have a Nintendo Power that has an article about DQ6, although I'm sure that's scanned and posted online somewhere(I was wanting to scan it just in case, but I have no scanner currently).

You mean the 50th special NP, where the original is like 200 pages, the longest NP at the time, and 50 of them are dedicated to games out in Japan, and one page  is s spread on DQ6?  It's the mickey as a fireman on the front page.

^

That's the one I'm talking about right there.

I tried looking for it last night, but I have yet to find it(My sister and dad have been over lately. Last month she did some tidying up in the house, it's probably why I haven't found it ATM).

You mean the 50th special NP, where the original is like 200 pages, the longest NP at the time, and 50 of them are dedicated to games out in Japan, and one page  is s spread on DQ6?  It's the mickey as a fireman on the front page.

It's the mickey as a fireman pa- Oh wait! Now I get what you mean(The front cover is gone on mine).

I downloaded the Nintendo Power with Mickey as a fireman. That's issue 44 - January 1993.  

Looked through it quickly, nothing on DQ5, and there's no way that issue could possibly have anything on DQ6,

given that Jan 93 is way, way too early.   DQ5 only released in Japan (in Sept ? 1992) and the first information on DQ6

from EGM was in their November 1994 issue (the preview in my OP) and wasn't released until December 1995.

Retromags is extremely useful, not just for downloading magazines, but also (usually) to see what games are in each issue

https://www.retromags.com/magazines/category/usa/nintendo-power/#.VpMD2_krKM8

qG9WZgk.jpg?1

https://www.retromags.com/magazines/category/usa/nintendo-power/nintendo-power-issue-44#.VpMDqvkrKM9

Systems Covered:
Nintendo Entertainment System
Game Boy
Super Nintendo
Nintendo CD-ROM
Super NES:
Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse
Dragon's Eye: Shanghai II
Sonic Blast Man
Equinox
Super NES Sports Games
FirePower 2000
Game Boy:
The Incredible Crash Dummies
Battleship
The Humans
Mega Man III
NES:
Mega Man V
R.C. Pro-Am II
The Jetsons
Comics:
Super Mario Brothers
Counselor's Corner:
Final Fantasy II
Soul Blazer
The Empire Strikes Back
Spider-Man 2
Super Power Club Bonus:
Mario Paint Special
Top 10 Games of 1992
Star Fox: A View of the Future
Behind the Scenes at NOA
Eyes Only! Best of Classified Info
Super Mario Land 2 Secret Zone
Classified Information:
Super Star Wars
Rival Turf
True Golf Classics Pebble Beach Golf Links
Desert Strike Return to the Gulf
Street Fighter II the World Warrior
Phalanx the Enforce Fighter A-144
Kirby's Dream Land
F-II7A
Dragon Warrior III
Now Playing:
Sonic Blastman
Equinox
The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
Shanghai II
Spindizzy World
Chuck Rock
The Brainies
Wordtris
Imperium
Chester Cheetah
Gods
Mega Man 5
The Jetsons: Cogswell's Caper
R.C. Pro-Am 2
Goal! Two
The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends
Crash Test Dummies
Battleship
Humans
Xenon 2
Speedball 2
Edited by NidoTower
  • Upvote 1

Sorry, it's in this one:

http://www.comicvine.com/nintendo-power-50/4000-388445/

Only the original prints for subscribers contained the Japan-only spread.  I believe it had a special silver cover on it.

I have to find the box with them all, and see for myself.  Can't today, but when I have time to go to storage, I'll take a look.

I noticed that site you linked to doesn't contain ANY info of special info and packets in various NP's that I know had special features.

Edited by ignasia7

Okay that's the July 1993 Nintendo Power. What DQ game was featured in the original prints?     

It's either the fireman mickey, or the 50th issue, but there was a whole special section devoted just to Japanese games and with a huge portion of it just RPG's.  I know they're not present in the reprints, because I have doubles of every NP up to 100.  It covers DQ5 and 6, and FF5...I believe Live a Live is also mentioned, but it's been a very long time since I saw it though.  When I have a chance, I'll have to get it out, and scan.

• 6 months later...

Woodus, this is good stuff. Add a secton to the site for these

Woodus, this is good stuff. Add a secton to the site for these

It's so good he wants you to do it twice, Woodus!

Got those added :thumbsup:

Ah, the flickering of characters when there are 5 in a line. I remember you so well.

Those reviews are damn harsh.

Dude needs to grab a pair of Video Game Gloves and get a grip!

They gave DQ2 a higher score than 3 lol. They have boring Ys a higher score than both.

Thought 3<2 was odd.

And Y's apparently is the first CD-ROM worthy game in history. It's near perfect!

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...