Sign in to follow this  
internet_explorer

Full DWM 1 Breeding Guide

Just wrote a new tool that runs a rom and accepts input via sockets- allowing easy automation of some processes (for DWM this means a comprehensive breeding guide) so I put the data on my site! I have the raw data (monster list  and breeding list) if you'd like it or you can take a look at the page http://nonsoftware.us/tools/dwm/

The way I made the data is relatively simple:

I took the source of gnuboy- and modified it a bit to accept external input. Then wrote a secondary program that connected to the source, loaded the most recent savestate, modified a couple bytes (specifically 0xCACA and 0xCACB to modify the monster and the class) then pushed some buttons to initiate a shrine breeding session thing, as soon as the value for the resulting monster changed I grabbed that data and threw it into a csv file- I also grabbed a screenshot using the secondary program of the portion of the screen that the monster portrait lives, then saved that to an image file. Then I used a multi-regex tool to change the csv data to sql statements, put the data on my sql server and connected it with my site!

• Upvote 3

That is pretty damn cool I must say! Great work. :thumbsup:

Very neat and helpful yep. +1

Wow, something amazing finally came from Internet Explorer!  Sorry for missing this until now.  Thanks for sharing this. 

Is there anyway you'd be willing to let the Den host your stuff?  We've been trying for some time now to iron out the kinks in the synthesis pages for the earlier monsters games, but it's a big task that no one is really up for until you came along.

• Upvote 1

Wow, something amazing finally came from Internet Explorer!  Sorry for missing this until now.  Thanks for sharing this. 

Is there anyway you'd be willing to let the Den host your stuff?  We've been trying for some time now to iron out the kinks in the synthesis pages for the earlier monsters games, but it's a big task that no one is really up for until you came along.

Well I certainly don't mind- it will get a bunch more visibility here. Shoot me an email stephen@nonsoftware.us

Cool, thanks!  I'll do that shortly.

Awesome! That is fantastic.  Thanks for sharing again!

Nice work on this. It's missing some combinations (i.e. DeathMore3 + GranSlime = DarkDrium) but it seems to mirror the majority of what I've listed in my own guide. One day when I have time I'll go in and manually test some of these new combos.

OK, well I am looking to get this copy added to the Den, maybe we can make sure all of your combos are in there as well and get one master list that is in a database :thumbsup:

Nice work on this. It's missing some combinations (i.e. DeathMore3 + GranSlime = DarkDrium) but it seems to mirror the majority of what I've listed in my own guide. One day when I have time I'll go in and manually test some of these new combos.

Appreciate it, I rushed the dwm2 tool- and my timers were a bit close to the edge (I was using 400 ms as the margin for error, which was enough 95% of the time) I'll redo the tool and recompile the data. Luckily DWM2 has some handy little pointers so I don't actually have to initiate a breeding ritual before the data gets changed.

Oh I'll probably post some new gameshark codes if I find the time based on the new key data points that popped up making it- not sure if that would be useful to anyone but may as well have the codes anyways.

I mentioned it in my blog post, but anyone can create tools to automate these processes themselves using my gameboybot- if anyone is interested I don't mind putting together a technical guide. 

We should have both guides perfected and here on this site quite soon.

Very cool, thank you for all that work! :thumbsup:

Appreciate it, I rushed the dwm2 tool- and my timers were a bit close to the edge (I was using 400 ms as the margin for error, which was enough 95% of the time) I'll redo the tool and recompile the data. Luckily DWM2 has some handy little pointers so I don't actually have to initiate a breeding ritual before the data gets changed.

Oh I'll probably post some new gameshark codes if I find the time based on the new key data points that popped up making it- not sure if that would be useful to anyone but may as well have the codes anyways.

I mentioned it in my blog post, but anyone can create tools to automate these processes themselves using my gameboybot- if anyone is interested I don't mind putting together a technical guide. 

We should have both guides perfected and here on this site quite soon.

Sounds good. Also one thing to note is the irregular combos that are showing up here and there in the data, where the pedigree parent's family doesn't match up with the baby (not counting the baby being Boss family). I know that DWM1 had this (I think a Dragon pedigree parent could somehow make a material-family MetalDrak baby) but I'm fairly certain DWM2 did away with this. Just something to look out for.

Alright, I fixed the DWM2 data, it should be much more accurate now, if you get the chance to verify it that would be great, will be bundling everything up tonight or tomorrow for woodus.

Amazing. I never imagined Internet Explorer would ever be able to fix any problem! 😜

Amazing work!

Good job with this.  It's been very helpful.

I did notice one small issue with the guide.  The icons for Almiraj and Catfly need to be swapped.

I did notice one small issue with the guide.  The icons for Almiraj and Catfly need to be swapped.

Good eye! Looks like the pictures are right, but I had the names in the table swapped.

Should be fixed now.

Looks good.

Edited by rmcin329

Hi Internet Explorer! Amazing work, I love the table you made. I just wanted to say I think there are a few combos that don't work. I was trying to get an original slime. Your guide has combinations listed but I do not think they work. Specifically, I tired a Duckite x Wingslime. The result was a Picky. For fun, I flipped the ped/sire and the result was a wingslime. I am not sure where you got the info for these combos, but all I can say is that this one does not work.

That said, I love what you have done. seeing as DWM is like my favorite game of all time, this is my favorite resource of all time. 

Hi Internet Explorer! Amazing work, I love the table you made. I just wanted to say I think there are a few combos that don't work. I was trying to get an original slime. Your guide has combinations listed but I do not think they work. Specifically, I tired a Duckite x Wingslime. The result was a Picky. For fun, I flipped the ped/sire and the result was a wingslime. I am not sure where you got the info for these combos, but all I can say is that this one does not work.

That said, I love what you have done. seeing as DWM is like my favorite game of all time, this is my favorite resource of all time. 

If I recall correctly, Slime can't be bred. The only exception is breeding a Slime with a slime family monster. The same goes for some other monsters like Dracky (which kinda raises the question of how they are so abundant)

I've always been interested in the reverses of rare monsters. Specifically, if I link breed to get a super rare monster, what does my partner get. I think there are cases where the reverse actually gives you the monster as well, but its been a very long time since I checked. If I recall correctly, monsters like Durran and Jamirus can actually be bred either way (even though the pedigree isn't even in the correct family when the parent's are reversed)

I do know that boss monsters that require two boss parents are perfect for link breeding, because one person gets the new boss, and the other person gets their parent (because a Boss + boss family = the pedigree)

Edited by Wes

Yeah, I figured, I was just curious when I saw that the guide says I can make a slime somehow. I guess not. 

Yeah, I figured, I was just curious when I saw that the guide says I can make a slime somehow. I guess not. 

I haven't looked at the guide. Is there a clear difference between Slime (the monster) and slime (the family)?