Etrian Odyssey Discussion Thread

I was going to subclass my Pugilist as Hero, and make that my primary source of physical damage, with the Afterimage power I've read about.  Gunner sounds good.  I'm also supposing that Sovereign is the opposite of Arcanist.  One gives "orders" that buff and heal, where Arcanist does "circles" that debuff enemies and heal allies.  Nightseeker seems to be Dark Hunter 2.0, which is nice. 
I think I may actually try a Pugilist, an Imperial up front, and a Sovereign and Arcanist, in the back.  The 5th slot I could use another idea for.

The hero's after image has been so-so for me. I think I need to change my lines to have 2 in front, 3 in back. Because the after image forms in the empty slot and in the back it's using hero skills and not getting the benefit as it's slashing from the wrong line.

I highly recommend the Nightseeker!
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Squirrels ruin outside life here where I live, chewing up playground equipment and car parts.  Hell, there are so many running all over, they ruin inside life too because the damn dog hardly ever stop

My current party is as follows: Coop - Protector Mini - Landsknecht Angelo - Survivalist Jessica - Dark Hunter Nynaveve - Medic So far the party has worked out well and I

Well, maybe I won't have enough time to buy 2. Still, after playing the demos, I'm looking forward to it!   That and Yangus' passion for the series is charming and gets me hyped. 

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

The hero's after image has been so-so for me. I think I need to change my lines to have 2 in front, 3 in back. Because the after image forms in the empty slot and in the back it's using hero skills and not getting the benefit as it's slashing from the wrong line.

I highly recommend the Nightseeker!

I believe I shall reserve judgement on the Hero as sub-class for now until I know what I'm doing with the 5th member, in terms of filling out rows.  If I decide on a 3rd support class (likely) then Afterimage will work fine.  If i choose a 3rd frontliner, instead, then I will sub the Pugilist as something else. I'll do more homework when I have the game in paw tomorrow.

And... I just opened subclasses. Thank God, my Sovereign can finally do damage!

As for the other 4? Geeze, I have no clue. My battle plan is so well-honed now I don't know what I need to add, unsure would would improve me.

21 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

And... I just opened subclasses. Thank God, my Sovereign can finally do damage!

As for the other 4? Geeze, I have no clue. My battle plan is so well-honed now I don't know what I need to add, unsure would would improve me.

Depending on what skills are available, you could consider the following:

Nightseeker - Arcanist for status ailment circles. That way you have something that can cause ailments for 3 turns. Focus on select ones though. If they have Paralyze and/or Sleep circles, go for those.

Hero - No idea. Something that boosts attack power would be good. See if Landys have something worth aiming for sub class wise.

War Magus - Tough to say, but if you want them to support on open turns you could see what the Survivalist or Farmer class has. If Surv has 1st Turn as a potential subclass skill then that would be good. A Nightseeker subclass just for the ailment attack

Gunner - Again, tough to say. Probably should stick to something simple if only for the extra skill points. Maybe Farmer if they still have the To Market skill just so you always have a free Ariadne Thread.

Sovereign - You’ll need to look at their stats, but Sovereigns can be good physical attackers assuming they have a decent strength stat in Nexus. If you put it on the front line (or swap around) it could be a Nightseeker for the ailment boosted attacks.

Sorry if those aren’t the best suggestions, but hopefully those help some. Since some of those classes are from non subclassing games it’s a bit hard to think what would work with them.

• Like 1
Depending on what skills are available, you could consider the following:
Nightseeker - Arcanist for status ailment circles. That way you have something that can cause ailments for 3 turns. Focus on select ones though. If they have Paralyze and/or Sleep circles, go for those.
Hero - No idea. Something that boosts attack power would be good. See if Landys have something worth aiming for sub class wise.
War Magus - Tough to say, but if you want them to support on open turns you could see what the Survivalist or Farmer class has. If Surv has 1st Turn as a potential subclass skill then that would be good. A Nightseeker subclass just for the ailment attack
Gunner - Again, tough to say. Probably should stick to something simple if only for the extra skill points. Maybe Farmer if they still have the To Market skill just so you always have a free Ariadne Thread.
Sovereign - You’ll need to look at their stats, but Sovereigns can be good physical attackers assuming they have a decent strength stat in Nexus. If you put it on the front line (or swap around) it could be a Nightseeker for the ailment boosted attacks.

Sorry if those aren’t the best suggestions, but hopefully those help some. Since some of those classes are from non subclassing games it’s a bit hard to think what would work with them.
No worries! Thanks for the advice. Will have to play around with it a bunch tomorrow.

Btw, the DLC is back up. Not for sale yet, but they're there again. We'll see if anything is free this first week. Somthing should become available tomorrow I assume.
14 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

No worries! Thanks for the advice. Will have to play around with it a bunch tomorrow.

Btw, the DLC is back up. Not for sale yet, but they're there again. We'll see if anything is free this first week. Somthing should become available tomorrow I assume.

If anything is free please let us know. I’m hoping Atlus will offer free periods on the past game portrait packs.

36 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Of my suggestions, the Nightseeker + Arcanist combo is a totally viable one. I used that myself in EO4 along with my Sniper + Arcanist, the two focusing on ailment circles and binding circles respectively. If each tried to use one it would cancel the other out, but here’s the benefit: if a Nightseeker with a maxed out status circle uses said circle and it effects enemies at any point while active, that means the Nightseeker can go straight into attacking the next few turns. It also saves on investing points into Spread Throw and Auto-Spread, which can then be used for the ailment attack skills or for any support skills

It comes down to the situations you find yourself in, as for a smaller group for example you could just have a Nightseeker use Poison Throw on one enemy, but I think Nightseeker + Arcanist is a strong choice of you’re unsure what to do. Things could be different in Nexus depending on how the two classes have been balanced since EO4, but I bet it would still be a very useful combo. 

Oh, and in case Arcanist has Poison Circle (I honestly don’t remember if they do or not) don’t worry about that one. If they do have Poison Circle and of memory serves me right, the poison damage from it isn’t very impressive in the long run.

• Like 1

Loving this game so far. Not very far in yet, 3rd floor of Lush Woodlands. Got a Hero, Pugilist, Zodiac, Sovereign and Survivalist. Not really sure what I'm doing subclassing yet, but if Platty says it's super late in, I've got time. :P

• Like 1
Loving this game so far. Not very far in yet, 3rd floor of Lush Woodlands. Got a Hero, Pugilist, Zodiac, Sovereign and Survivalist. Not really sure what I'm doing subclassing yet, but if Platty says it's super late in, I've got time.
Plenty of time. I hit level 40 before I hit subclasses.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

What a #$*!ing dick move, Nexus. In the very first labyrinth there’s an event you can come across where “water,” falls on the party. Suddenly select party members start losing HP and TP quickly due to the smell and what the water is implied to be, and following the game’s advice and removing the equipment of those characters causes a battle. Don’t remove the equipment, and you keep losing HP and TP at a high rate.

I know the games like to have hazing events for players in the first dungeon/floor, but Jesus #$*!ing Christ that was the worst player trap I’ve seen. These traps are usually a Yes/No situation, such as the dangerous flower garden in EO1 and the thread stealing squirrel in EO2, but this one? No such option when you step on the tile, it just happens. It’s especially a trap since you cannot avoid it unless you just don’t step on that square, but when you’re exploring for the first time you want to go everywhere.

Just #$*! you game. I want a challenge from Etrian Odyssey, not whatever the #$*! that was all about. Not a good way to start the game and pisses me off (as if that wasn’t clear enough). Because I lost the battle, I now get to repeat everything about the 1st labyrinth. Fan #$*!ing tastic. This could be a bad sign to how the rest of the game is going to go.

Also, since I’m complaining, I want to say that the art book that comes with the game is pathetic. It’s just the character class artwork of the 19 classes and a few NPCs. No sketch drawings for the new character art, no labyrinth art, nothing for the new art of Nexus aside from the Yggdrasil tree of the game and the new character art. Hell, no special messages from anyone on the dev team like usual. The little art books were okay bonuses for past 3DS games, but they look like masterpieces compared to the Nexus one.

• Like 1
What a #$*!ing dick move, Nexus. In the very first labyrinth there’s an event you can come across where “water,” falls on the party. Suddenly select party members start losing HP and TP quickly due to the smell and what the water is implied to be, and following the game’s advice and removing the equipment of those characters causes a battle. Don’t remove the equipment, and you keep losing HP and TP at a high rate.
I know the games like to have hazing events for players in the first dungeon/floor, but Jesus #$*!ing Christ that was the worst player trap I’ve seen. These traps are usually a Yes/No situation, such as the dangerous flower garden in EO1 and the thread stealing squirrel in EO2, but this one? No such option when you step on the tile, it just happens. It’s especially a trap since you cannot avoid it unless you just don’t step on that square, but when you’re exploring for the first time you want to go everywhere.
Just #$*! you game. I want a challenge from Etrian Odyssey, not whatever the #$*! that was all about. Not a good way to start the game and pisses me off (as if that wasn’t clear enough). Because I lost the battle, I now get to repeat everything about the 1st labyrinth. Fan #$*!ing tastic. This could be a bad sign to how the rest of the game is going to go.

Also, since I’m complaining, I want to say that the art book that comes with the game is pathetic. It’s just the character class artwork of the 19 classes and a few NPCs. No sketch drawings for the new character art, no labyrinth art, nothing for the new art of Nexus aside from the Yggdrasil tree of the game and the new character art. Hell, no special messages from anyone on the dev team like usual. The little art books were okay bonuses for past 3DS games, but they look like masterpieces compared to the Nexus one.
Damn. I remember that, but it didn't seem that bad. Maybe because I just lost HP/TP, not the battle. Ugh.
6 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

To be brutally honest, I feel Atlus kinda did the bare minimum with this game...the glaring example being the lack of an English dub. I get that the 3ds is super old at this point and supporting it whole hog for a relatively niche title may not be the best idea...but the PS4 is just as old and it doesn't seem the upcoming Catherine remake has the same issue...

6 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Damn. I remember that, but it didn't seem that bad. Maybe because I just lost HP/TP, not the battle. Ugh.

I lost that battle because, right after I found Birgitta’s dog Laika, I found the shortcut in the same area. I took it, ended up going to the dead end where that trap was...and well, you know the rest. Basically I was at the point where half of my TP was gone for party members, and the two who still had most of their HP and TP (Nightseeker and Sovereign) couldn’t dish out damage fast enough to deal with the 3 enemies. I’ll just have to try again after work and do some extra exploring/use Birgitta’s free healing and gain an extra level or 2.

I’ll admit I got a little overblown with my post last night, but that trap being in the very first labyrinth (and on the very first floor no less) is a bastard move from the devs.

• Like 1
I lost that battle because, right after I found Birgitta’s dog Laika, I found the shortcut in the same area. I took it, ended up going to the dead end where that trap was...and well, you know the rest. Basically I was at the point where half of my TP was gone for party members, and the two who still had most of their HP and TP (Nightseeker and Sovereign) couldn’t dish out damage fast enough to deal with the 3 enemies. I’ll just have to try again after work and do some extra exploring/use Birgitta’s free healing and gain an extra level or 2.
I’ll admit I got a little overblown with my post last night, but that trap being in the very first labyrinth (and on the very first floor no less) is a bastard move from the devs.
You're also playing Heroic difficultly, right?
1 hour ago, jay said:

To be brutally honest, I feel Atlus kinda did the bare minimum with this game...the glaring example being the lack of an English dub. I get that the 3ds is super old at this point and supporting it whole hog for a relatively niche title may not be the best idea...but the PS4 is just as old and it doesn't seem the upcoming Catherine remake has the same issue...

The lack of an English dub is annoying, but personally I don’t use voices in EO games so it’s not a huge deal in my case. However, I completely get the disappointment with that decision, especially because Atlus pulled that same stunt with Strange Journey Redux and is going to do it again with Persona Q 2. EO games don’t have much voiced dialogue; usually just a few specifics lines from NPCs/player characters in Untold’s story modes and then battle cries or expressions from party members.

Personally I think Sega is to blame for Atlus’s cutting corners approach with games.

5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

You're also playing Heroic difficultly, right?

Yes. That certainly didn’t help. I purposely invested in Guard Order right away for my Sovereign to help with damage control, but no armor + difficulty level + no real healing = dead.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jay said:

They’re cheaping out on PQ2 as well by not giving it an English dub. To be fair, there are a lot of voices in that game, though many share actors, and it might not be cost effective and maybe everyone’s schedules don’t line up. But the fact that the 3DS is being put out to pasture (Atlus seems to be the only company putting original games on it at this point) doesn’t help.

The Catherine remake likely isn’t going to have a similar issue because, I assume, most of the dialogue is going to be re-used from the original game, with some new stuff recorded. And PS4 is far from dead, even with rumors of the PS5 swirling around.

They’re cheaping out on PQ2 as well by not giving it an English dub. To be fair, there are a lot of voices in that game, though many share actors, and it might not be cost effective and maybe everyone’s schedules don’t line up. But the fact that the 3DS is being put out to pasture (Atlus seems to be the only company putting original games on it at this point) doesn’t help.
The Catherine remake likely isn’t going to have a similar issue because, I assume, most of the dialogue is going to be re-used from the original game, with some new stuff recorded. And PS4 is far from dead, even with rumors of the PS5 swirling around.
True. PS4 isn't in the same breath as 3DS, it's got life, plenty. And yeah, Etrian Odyssey doesn't have known voices, they're all just random, so that's a cheap ass move to not voice it. Whereas PQ2 is known character voices so I understand that decision far more. But as YangustheLegendaryBandit pointed out this cheap-out started last year with Strange Journey.

Okay, now that I have a minute and am over what happened last night, time to talk about Nexus.

-First off, I like the combination of a story focus without losing the character customization, create your own story with your party, and exploration and interactions with NPCs. It’s a good blend of what worked in the Untold story modes but doesn’t make you lose the player creator approach. It feels like what they went for in Etrian 4, which was something that totally worked for that game.

-The ability to use whatever portrait you want for any of the classes is AWESOME. Add on all the currently free (so get them now if you don’t have them downloaded!) portrait packs from pasts games and some special illustrations and you get PLENTY of room to design your party on top of the 19 classes to choose from. I’m SOOOOOOOO happy this is an option now. I immediately downloaded all the portrait packs, and it will be fun mixing my guilds from past games together.

-New music by Yuzo Koshiro is once again top notch. The original tracks thus far have been good, though I’m not a huge fan of the Guild Hall theme for this game. It’s good, but it lacks some of the charm of other Guild Hall themes. The newly arranged Etrian 3 tracks I’ve heard so far will be the closest we’ll get to an Untold 3 soundtrack, but with how “The Port City Bathed in Twilight,” made the transition, I think it’s safe to say the other EO3 songs will as well.

-The naming scheme of the town NPCs is good. The inn being called The Lady of the Lake being run by a girl named Vivian and her cat Merlin is pretty good stuff. Etrian games draw from a lot of European region names/myths/fables, so that was a good choice.

My party is Hero, Nightseeker, Pugilist, Sovereign, and Survivalist. My Sniper portage from EO4 was the hardest to decide on what I want to do class wise, but after seeing what Survivalists can do this time around that seemed like the best choice. I’m playing on Heroic difficulty, so I’m expecting a challenge (but not what happened last night; that was just mean) and I’m hoping my team can work. With the passive healing I’ve got going I SHOULD be okay for a while.

I’ll have to try my luck again in the first labyrinth after work today. Now that I know to avoid that one spot at all costs, I’ll be doing some extra exploring to get some skill points and money to properly outfit everyone.

• Like 1

I forgot to include this earlier: this is my party/portraits. Thanks to the portrait packs I was able to put the 5 protagonists of Etrian past together. The boys are back!

E6E53629-32A4-4BDB-AD55-28F5234DDFF2.jpeg.19d1494a50fd9f0c0c57571a62e94117.jpeg

-Troubadour from Etrian 1 is the Hero class, and his nickname is The Bard.

-Dark Hunter from Etrian 2 is the Nightseeker class, and his nickname is Blue.

-Sovereign (or Prince) from Etrian 3 is the same class, and his nickname is (currently) Charlie.

-Sniper from Etrian 4 is the Survivalist class, and his nickname is Eagle Eye.

-Pugilist from Etrian 5 is the same class, and his nickname is J.W.

Class choices became easier once I had the game, but the only one who’s nickname I’m having trouble with is my Sovereign. All the nicknames have some significance, but with him...honestly I can’t decide. I’m having a mental block on that. It’s probably because he’s the lead of the first EO game I played. Right now it’s between Forrest and Charlie. I’m open to opinions on those two names and which seems more fitting.

Anyway, it feels very personal having my 5 protagonists together in Nexus. I don’t have any other guild members beside those 5 right now, but I figure if I need to make any others I’ll bring forth other guild members of past games as well, at least the main party ones I used (and Eldon the Farmer because I just have to). I’ve been trying to figure out how to make it work story wise since I have a “canon” timeline in my head (yes I’m a nerd about that with my Etrian Odyssey stories), but we’ll see how I shape it depending on what happens in game.

Okay, got a fair amount of progress in tonight.  I helped out Birgitta while avoiding what screwed me over last night, managed to beat the boss of the Eastern Shrine on the first try (but it did cost me my two Nectars), and I’m now at the end of the 1st floor of the Lush Woodlands from Etrian 4. I’ll be curious to see story wise why past areas are mysteriously in the land of Lemuria.

My party is doing alright so far. Hero is the big damage dealer right now, but I imagine once my Nightseeker and Pugilist get further along they’ll dish out good damage as well. Them being classes with larger skill point requirements means they’ll take a bit to get going.

I’ll get a picture of my guild card and QR code up tomorrow in case anyone wants to add my guild.

• Like 1

Here’s my guild card. Behold, the Legaciela guild!

6XcpLFa.jpg

w4h0olL.jpg

I chose the name Legaciela as a play on the word “legacy.” One that works for the legacy of my five protagonists and their accomplishments in the past games and the legacy of the series up to this point since there’s a huge combination of elements. The end bit of the name was just me trying to put some flair on the guild name, like it did with Runestus and Ferolgaun. No idea if they mean anything, just made up something I thought sounded cool!

Anyway, if anyone has trouble scanning the QR code let me know. I’ll try and take a better picture if that’s the case.

• Like 1
Here’s my guild card. Behold, the Legaciela guild!
6XcpLFa.jpg&key=c72debd23411ab4e7e978722b04da57ba5caa5ca597afefd4162cdaf2175ae8c
w4h0olL.jpg&key=5020bf9047b36471bdf6e27213fdbe986064b4a0e94bef36c73f3f32b76529c7
I chose the name Legaciela as a play on the word “legacy.” One that works for the legacy of my five protagonists and their accomplishments in the past games and the legacy of the series up to this point since there’s a huge combination of elements. The end bit of the name was just me trying to put some flair on the guild name, like it did with Runestus and Ferolgaun. No idea if they mean anything, just made up something I thought sounded cool!
Anyway, if anyone has trouble scanning the QR code let me know. I’ll try and take a better picture if that’s the case.
Damn, couldn't get it to work. I've been scanning Yo-Kai QR codes all day, but this... nope. It looks perfectly clear too. I'll try to open on a PC.
24 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Damn, couldn't get it to work. I've been scanning Yo-Kai QR codes all day, but this... nope. It looks perfectly clear too. I'll try to open on a PC.

Damn. I had that problem with Etrian 5 where for whatever reason people couldn’t scan my QR code even though I took a clear picture.

See if the computer helps. If not, I’ll have to save the QR code to my SD card and upload it from there. That’s what I did for Etrian 5 and that seemed to work.

I believe I shall reserve judgement on the Hero as sub-class for now until I know what I'm doing with the 5th member, in terms of filling out rows.  If I decide on a 3rd support class (likely) then Afterimage will work fine.  If i choose a 3rd frontliner, instead, then I will sub the Pugilist as something else. I'll do more homework when I have the game in paw tomorrow.
How's your playthrough going?