Etrian Odyssey Discussion Thread

On 8/30/2018 at 10:13 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m glad someone else likes Sniper. People on GameFAQs write the class off, but a Sniper/Arcanist does wonders for landing binds. I mainly used mine for binds, Eagle Eye, and other abilities rather than heavily focusing on the attack line of skills like the ones that pierce enemy lines for example. He did fine for the entire game and post game, so I failed to see why the Sniper was written off.

People seem a bit more critical towards Etrian 4 though since it had so many changes to the usual EO style.

I also used them mostly for the added binds. I love the advantages to binding enemies. I unfortunately never finished 5. I got to the fifth stratum and stopped. After DQ XI I might pick it up again.

I personally enjoyed IV quite a bit. I played that one so much. I beat it twice in a row immediately after launch. III is still my favorite though. I was hoping for an Untold version.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Squirrels ruin outside life here where I live, chewing up playground equipment and car parts.  Hell, there are so many running all over, they ruin inside life too because the damn dog hardly ever stop

My current party is as follows: Coop - Protector Mini - Landsknecht Angelo - Survivalist Jessica - Dark Hunter Nynaveve - Medic So far the party has worked out well and I

Well, maybe I won't have enough time to buy 2. Still, after playing the demos, I'm looking forward to it!   That and Yangus' passion for the series is charming and gets me hyped. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AzureVoid said:

I also used them mostly for the added binds. I love the advantages to binding enemies. I unfortunately never finished 5. I got to the fifth stratum and stopped. After DQ XI I might pick it up again.

I personally enjoyed IV quite a bit. I played that one so much. I beat it twice in a row immediately after launch. III is still my favorite though. I was hoping for an Untold version.

With how rough random encounters can be on the 4th and 5th stratum of 5, I don’t blame you for setting the game aside. I was not expecting those damn ants in the 5th stratum to be such pains in the ass. Too many close encounters with them on the 21st floor.

4 is a weird one for me. It was the 2nd EO game I played, but was like the 4th or 5th one I beat (could be wrong on that part since it’s been such a long time, but I know for sure I beat 3 and Untold 1 before 4). I got to the 3rd stratum, was really liking the music and story going on...but I just stopped.

Thus began my running gag of the 3rd Stratum Curse. Wasn’t until April 2014 I finally got back to the game, finished it, and next thing I knew it was the first EO game I had 100%. I’d put 4 towards the middle of my favorites list, and as of now Etrian 2/Untold 2 is my top favorite.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
16 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

With how rough random encounters can be on the 4th and 5th stratum of 5, I don’t blame you for setting the game aside. I was not expecting those damn ants in the 5th stratum to be such pains in the ass. Too many close encounters with them on the 21st floor.

4 is a weird one for me. It was the 2nd EO game I played, but was like the 4th or 5th one I beat (could be wrong on that part since it’s been such a long time, but I know for sure I beat 3 and Untold 1 before 4). I got to the 3rd stratum, was really liking the music and story going on...but I just stopped.

Thus began my running gag of the 3rd Stratum Curse. Wasn’t until April 2014 I finally got back to the game, finished it, and next thing I knew it was the first EO game I had 100%. I’d put 4 towards the middle of my favorites list, and as of now Etrian 2/Untold 2 is my top favorite.

I really loved how amazing the fifth stratum looked though. It looks so enchanting to me.

I usually play Etrian games straight through. Only one I skipped was the Mystery Dungeon spin off. I have absolutely no idea why I love them so much. Character creation system, classes, difficulty, I used to love the artwork for the monsters. I can say I’m not a fan of the 3D models. I definitely love the music. It was me pumped and my imagination goes wild. 

Ive heard rumors of that third stratum curse on here haha. Didn’t realize you were the origin. I loved the post game of IV. Imperials are sick. EOII is definitely good as well. 

7 hours ago, AzureVoid said:

I really loved how amazing the fifth stratum looked though. It looks so enchanting to me.

I usually play Etrian games straight through. Only one I skipped was the Mystery Dungeon spin off. I have absolutely no idea why I love them so much. Character creation system, classes, difficulty, I used to love the artwork for the monsters. I can say I’m not a fan of the 3D models. I definitely love the music. It was me pumped and my imagination goes wild. 

Ive heard rumors of that third stratum curse on here haha. Didn’t realize you were the origin. I loved the post game of IV. Imperials are sick. EOII is definitely good as well. 

Oh absolutely, Etrian 5’s 5th stratum is visually great looking. And with how the whole area looks and the implications behind it, it could lead to a lot of interesting fan theories how it all ties in with the other games.

The 3rd Stratum Curse did indeed start with me. It was mostly a joke, but it’s a reality I face with most Etrian games, whether it’s the first playthrough or replay. Obviously I have a lot of love for the series (if that wasn’t clear enough but shhhhhh) but for some reason whenever I reach the 3rd stratum I start to lose steam. If I can power through the 3rd stratum I’m totally fine and can finish the game at the same pace I was going, but if not, the game gets set aside for some time.

Best example is Etrian 4 since that was the start of it, but the other time it really hit was in Etrian Untold 1 on my Classic Expert playthrough. Platty knows the struggle I had with that one because holy #$*! is Expert difficulty tough in Untold 1. Easily the hardest Etrian experience I have had, and upon reaching the 3rd stratum I set the game aside for a good 8 months. Eventually I got past it, but beating the game was a slow process. Untold 1 is a good remake of EO1 for the most part, but they really did a number with the challenge of Expert. Thankfully Expert difficulty was more balanced in Untold 2.

Etrian Odyssey is a series I feel does everything right. Character and monster art, gameplay, music, aesthetic/environment designs, freedom of creativity...everything blends together to make some of the best RPG experiences I’ve had in my life. I still remember the tag line Atlus used in some trailers for Etrian III: “What will your story be?” Totally affected how I view every Etrian game and what I try and bring in as the player.

On 9/1/2018 at 11:35 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Oh absolutely, Etrian 5’s 5th stratum is visually great looking. And with how the whole area looks and the implications behind it, it could lead to a lot of interesting fan theories how it all ties in with the other games.

The 3rd Stratum Curse did indeed start with me. It was mostly a joke, but it’s a reality I face with most Etrian games, whether it’s the first playthrough or replay. Obviously I have a lot of love for the series (if that wasn’t clear enough but shhhhhh) but for some reason whenever I reach the 3rd stratum I start to lose steam. If I can power through the 3rd stratum I’m totally fine and can finish the game at the same pace I was going, but if not, the game gets set aside for some time.

Best example is Etrian 4 since that was the start of it, but the other time it really hit was in Etrian Untold 1 on my Classic Expert playthrough. Platty knows the struggle I had with that one because holy #$*! is Expert difficulty tough in Untold 1. Easily the hardest Etrian experience I have had, and upon reaching the 3rd stratum I set the game aside for a good 8 months. Eventually I got past it, but beating the game was a slow process. Untold 1 is a good remake of EO1 for the most part, but they really did a number with the challenge of Expert. Thankfully Expert difficulty was more balanced in Untold 2.

Etrian Odyssey is a series I feel does everything right. Character and monster art, gameplay, music, aesthetic/environment designs, freedom of creativity...everything blends together to make some of the best RPG experiences I’ve had in my life. I still remember the tag line Atlus used in some trailers for Etrian III: “What will your story be?” Totally affected how I view every Etrian game and what I try and bring in as the player.

I definitely liked the implications as well. It gave me some awesome vibes. I wonder what Nexus will bring to the table. 

I guess I have been hit with the curse as well and didn’t realize it. My latest play through of II I am in the third stratum and it’s been a few months. I’ll get back soon. 

Dude, I thought it was just me with expert in Untold. I always play expert for the best experience and post game gave me a run for my money. 

Due to all of those things, EO has been one of my favorite series. The first game got me through a rough patch in life and I’ve been following the series since.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AzureVoid said:

I definitely liked the implications as well. It gave me some awesome vibes. I wonder what Nexus will bring to the table. 

I guess I have been hit with the curse as well and didn’t realize it. My latest play through of II I am in the third stratum and it’s been a few months. I’ll get back soon. 

Dude, I thought it was just me with expert in Untold. I always play expert for the best experience and post game gave me a run for my money. 

Due to all of those things, EO has been one of my favorite series. The first game got me through a rough patch in life and I’ve been following the series since.

A few people did some tests/comparisons over on GameFAQs (one of them being DrFetus, an excellent source of Etrian info) and found Expert in Untold 1 is indeed the hardest. One thing being that Classic doesn’t allow you the standard progression the story party would normally go through, aka no forced Gladsheim visits, as well as some classes not having as good of damage, which Survivalists got hit with on their attack skills and regular attacks. Luckily this and some class changes were made in Untold 2.

And yeah, the Claret Hollows on Expert...it’s bad enough on Standard, but Expert makes it way worse. DrFetus and another guy who’s name escapes me from GameFAQs determined the Claret Hollows has some of the most unbalanced post game battles in the series.

I’ve been wanting to return to 5 again. I stopped at the 5th floor on my replay. I’m hoping my replay party of Dragoon, Harbinger, Masurao, Shaman, and Necromancer can handle it. 4 of the 5 are classes I haven’t used (the Shaman being excluded) so it’s a bit of a learning process. I did use the Necro when I played the Japanese demo and figured some things out (as much as you can in an Etrian demo), especially how good their poison can be.

• 1 month later...

WE HAVE A TRAILER FOR THE ENGLISH RELEASE!

Mmmmmmm that Etrian Odyssey goodness! I want this game....so, so bad.

My excitement aside, here’s some details for the English release that has popped up along with the trailer!

Etrian Odyssey Nexus Gets Its First Trailer In English, Launch Edition Details

2018-10-10_112116

Atlus is going all out incorporating all the best aspects of the series for Etrian Odyssey Nexus, which will be the last installment on the 3DS, and we just got a look at its first trailer in English.

In Etrian Odyssey Nexus you’ll see iconic characters, have 19 playable classes to choose from, and more labyrinths than any other Etrian title to date.

Here are details on the Etrian Odyssey Nexus Launch Edition from Atlus:

unnamed

To commemorate this monumental chapter in Etrian history, we’re also happy to announce the Etrian Odyssey Nexus Launch Edition! All pre-order and first-run copies of the game will come with an exclusive art book featuring the incredibly-detailed character art of Yuji Himukai and monster art of Shin Nagasawa, a pin featuring Vivian, the adorable innkeeper in Nexus, and the game itself – all in a special collector’s box. Pre-orders for the Launch Edition are now available at https://atlus.com/etriannexus/.

Features:

• The Definitive Etrian Odyssey Experience – With more classes, characters, gameplay systems, and labyrinths than any other game in the series, Etrian Odyssey Nexus is the ultimate dungeon-crawling adventure.

• Customize Your Perfect Exploration Party – Create and customize characters from 19 playable classes, then take on the dangerous creatures of Lemuria’s labyrinths with your perfect party!

• Both Newcomers and Veterans Welcome! – With the ability to swap between four distinct difficulty settings, auto-mapping settings, and a grand standalone story, there’s something for everyone from series newcomers to experienced veterans.

• A Love Letter to Etrian – Longtime series mainstays Yuji Himukai (Character Designer), Shin Nagasawa (Monster Designer), and Yuzo Koshiro (Composer) have come together to create the preeminent Etrian experience for the series’ final installment on the Nintendo 3DS™.

Etrian Odyssey Nexus releases for the Nintendo 3DS in North America and Europe on February 5, 2019.

• 3 months later...

There is, as usual, a free 3DS theme for Etrian Nexus, and I just got it tonight, then set the favorites shuffle for all 5 Etrian themes.  Gonna try to stick to my guns on this one this time, given it's the last one on the system.  I've got plenty of games to wiggle through during the next 2 weeks, but I'm excited for this swan song (for the 3DS, not necessarily the Etrian games). 

I mean, a new Etrian 9 days before my birthday?  Aww, Atlus, ya shouldn've. 

I know I'm not half the hardcore fan of it Yangus is, but I DO try!

P.S.: Any word on the viability of a Pugilist-sub-Hero?  I GOTTA insist on it for my self-insert, but just curious.

16 hours ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

There is, as usual, a free 3DS theme for Etrian Nexus, and I just got it tonight, then set the favorites shuffle for all 5 Etrian themes.  Gonna try to stick to my guns on this one this time, given it's the last one on the system.  I've got plenty of games to wiggle through during the next 2 weeks, but I'm excited for this swan song (for the 3DS, not necessarily the Etrian games). 

Haha, I just used "swan song" in my preview of the game.  Got tagged to get a review copy, and while I can't say anything more until Tuesday morning, you're going to to want to play through it, yes!  No EOV cop-out :tounge:

Also I just discovered all the free themes, and the fact that I can shuffle them.  Got that all set up today!

On 1/20/2019 at 5:07 PM, Plattym3 said:

Haha, I just used "swan song" in my preview of the game.  Got tagged to get a review copy, and while I can't say anything more until Tuesday morning, you're going to to want to play through it, yes!  No EOV cop-out :tounge:

Also I just discovered all the free themes, and the fact that I can shuffle them.  Got that all set up today!

I caught sight of your preview text on RPGamer tonight.  A fit tribute to the game, and a fine comment on the bittersweet nature of the game. It IS sad that the 3DS is being put to pasture, and the most unique feature of EO along with it.  I truly don't know what will be done with the series now, but I intend to milk this final 3DS entry for all it's worth.  Also took a moment to lightly poke well-meaning fun at your twinsie's new form av on his status update.  Dusting off an oldie to tease him with.  Just to remind y'all I'm still wagging.  :D

• Like 1

I came across an article for Nexus, highlighting the class customization. It only makes me more and more excited for February 5th.

“Etrian Odyssey games follow a certain pattern. You are an adventurer heading out to found a new guild. You come to a town that happens to have labyrinths adjacent to it and a need of people willing to delve into dangerous depths. This means heading to a guild and creating custom characters who are capable of surviving against both the fiercest foes and F.O.E.s. Most installments offer around seven to ten classes to choose from to start, but Etrian Odyssey Nexus bumps things up. Right from the start, you have 19 different kinds of roles your party members can play.

This is absolutely fantastic. After all, Etrian Odyssey Nexus is a celebration of the series that is a crossover of all past entries. It means that you have an unprecedented amount of choice from the very start. But, this means it can also be a little overwhelming. I mean, you can make 60 characters total, five can be in your party at a time, and this time each class has eight portrait options that can have their hair, eye, and voices customized. The important thing is to make sure that your first five characters, the ones you might use to find your footing and determine who you might really start wanting to use as you get into Lush Woodlands, one of the first labyrinths.

Any good starting Etrian Odyssey game needs certain sorts of characters on hand. There should be at least two people in the frontline who are able to both take and dish out hits. If one of them could also double as an actual tank and draw attacks and the other could apply debuffs with attacks, even better. In the back row, you should have one person who can set up elemental attacks. A healer is the final piece of the puzzle. As long as you can cover these bases right away, you should be okay. As long as those four sorts of characters are there, the fifth person can be from any class you would like. Since Etrian Odyssey Nexus easily lets you check skills from the Novice, Veteran, and Master sections in the registration section, you can start planning right away.

For your forward-facing party members who can strong attackers and survive actual hits, there are plenty of good places to start. It might be a good idea to choose a Hero right away, since this is Etrian Odyssey Nexus‘ new class. They attack and protect, and their early skills can be incredibly helpful. Investing in Afterimage right away is great, as it can make an Afterimage appear in an empty slot if a hero uses a skill to attack, then use that skill that made it on the next turn. Reaching level one with that unlocks the ability to learn Mirage Sword, a physical ranged cut attack that hits one enemy and has a high chance of making an Afterimage. Using your first three Skill Points for making a character to get those two skills and Physical Shield, which raises the whole party’s defense until the attack skill is used. Since the bash skill takes a while to trigger, it can often increase the whole party’s defense for an entire turn.

For a second frontline force of nature, I would suggest considering a Pugilist. They are very good here in Etrian Odyssey Nexus. These brutes deal damage and inflict binds or status effects. A good way to start here, with the first three skill points, is to grab Arm Breaker, Corkscrew, and Double Punch. Here’s why. Some of the earliest F.O.E.s you see and the first boss have devastating arm-related attacks, so that can help block those by dealing damage and maybe binding arms. Corkscrew is a bash attack that can also have a chance of paralyzing an enemy. Finally, Double Punch could cause a skill to activate again if a single-hit skill doesn’t bind or infect an enemy. Should you prefer other alternatives, the other good frontline folks include the Highlander, Imperial, Landsknecht, Protector, Ronin, and Shogun.

When it comes to elemental attacks, there are two classes that have fire, ice, and volt skills in their Novice section. I mean, some of the other characters do have abilities with elements tied to them, but these are the people you go to if you want to start inflicting a lot of damage. If you want to go traditional, the Zodiac is the way to go. These are the basic mages here, with standard Fire, Ice, and Volt Star attacks, a Singularity support skill that increases their elemental damage when they hit a enemy weakness, and a support ability that restores TP. If you want to get creative, a Sovereign is a good idea. Picking one up, teaching them Attack Order, and then teaching them Fire Arms, Freeze Arms, or Shock Arms will allow them to imbue an entire line of allies’ weapons with an element and strengthen that element’s attacks for three turns. If you do intend to use a Sovereign entirely for the Attack Order, Guard Order, and Royal Veil skills that can apply elements, increase defense, and cast regen on a party, putting them in the back row might be wise. Sovereigns can hang out in the frontline too, though. 

For healers, you have a couple great options. Arcanists, Medics, and War Magus characters all work. The standard Medic is the best traditional healer here, since it has a single Healing, the one row Line Heal, ailment-relieving Refresh, and essential Revive skills in its Novice section. Everything you need is just there. Arcanists are more advanced, since it has the Bracing Walk that recovers health as you wander a dungeon, the Circle Boon that has a regen effect each turn it is active, and the Dismiss Heal that requires a Circle to be in effect to heal. The War Magus is essentially a frontline healer that has single and line heal skills in War Heal and War Heal Line. It also lets you remove ally ailments and binds by transferring them to an enemy. This class has the benefit of inflicting ailments and binds on enemies too. Though, if none of these characters appeal to you and you need another backline attacker, a Gunner could even work. They have Medic Bullets that can heal people, as well as shots that can bind parts of an enemy’s body or deal damage multiple times. 

Etrian Odyssey is a series where people get to traditionally explore and find their way through by experimenting with classes and party makeups that work for them. Etrian Odyssey Nexus has more types out there than ever before. Having two good attacker/protector types for the front line, some kind of elemental attacker, and a healer can create a well-rounded start.

Etrian Odyssey Nexus will come to the Nintendo 3DS on February 5, 2019. It is immediately available in Japan as Etrian Odyssey X.”

Read more at https://www.siliconera.com/2019/01/24/etrian-odyssey-nexuss-19-starting-classes-offer-many-options-for-initial-parties/#cCszLA0KJ5uXHXOL.99

That's way more detailed that I could do. Neat read! Of course I went kinda crazy on my party, so there's that. I think I might have finally got some things figured out but I really wanna poison enemies Damnit!

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

That's way more detailed that I could do. Neat read! Of course I went kinda crazy on my party, so there's that. I think I might have finally got some things figured out but I really wanna poison enemies Damnit!

It is well written. I think I could write what the author did and then some. As I found out from our Facebook group, I would make a good Etrian hype man.

It is well written. I think I could write what the author did and then some. As I found out from our Facebook group, I would make a good Etrian hype man.
Our discussion last night WAS that and then some!
39 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Our discussion last night WAS that and then some!

Indeed it was. Talking (Etrian Odyssey) shop is fun, especially with Nexus featuring 18 returning classes. I know I was like SHHHHHH when it came to Etrian 5 since I wanted to figure things out, but with Nexus it’s another story.

I’ll be curious how the Hero class is. That will be interesting to see how it fits into a team dynamic. So far my planned team is Hero, Nightseeker, Sovereign, Arcanist or Survivalist, and Pugilist for my first playthrough using my 5 Etrian protagonists:

E6E53629-32A4-4BDB-AD55-28F5234DDFF2.jpeg.19d1494a50fd9f0c0c57571a62e94117.jpeg

The Sniper (Eagle Eye) is the one I’m not sure what to do with. He’s either going to be a Survivalist since it’s the closest thing to the Sniper class, or an Arcanist since that’s the subclass he had in EO4 and it served him well despite his low overall TP count. My Troubadour portrait (The Bard) will be the Hero class since it will fit in with what happened to him in my Etrian 1 story, and the Dark Hunter (Blue) will be a Nightseeker since it’s the closest thing to a Dark Hunter.

Hopefully the team will work. I took a shot in the dark with Etrian 5 and what classes I used for my main party and they had great synergy, so I hope I can strike gold twice.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
36 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Siliconera is a good site.  Only one I read more often is Nintendo Life.  I'm not surprised you found an awesome article for the game there.  I'm only surprised you said "would" make a good Etrian Hype Man.  You totally are already.

• 2 weeks later...

Review lineup for Etrian Nexus, although I'm quite sure I know who in this thread is getting the game already (looking specifically at the twinsies, @YangustheLegendaryBanditand @Plattym3). 

Firstly, one of my favorite review sites, Nintendo Life. NL has hardly ever steered me wrong with regard to good Switch and 3DS titles, and here's their glowing praise for Nexus:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/etrian_odyssey_nexus

A wonderful review written by our very own gloopy friend, @Plattym3.  Feels like a local boy hit big time with him on this site!

https://rpgamer.com/2019/01/etrian-odyssey-nexus-impression/

I don't typically agree with Destructoid, but for the sake of content, here's what they had to say:

https://www.destructoid.com/review-etrian-odyssey-nexus-541408.phtml

So basically I'm being a poor-man's Metacritic for this page, I know.  Also preaching to the choir.  Still so excited I had to wag and yap over this one a little louder than usual.

Can't wait to spend a good hour just deciding what my party's gonna be tomorrow!  Brawler in the lead is a definite, and I'll subclass him a Hero later.  I love me some barehanded fighters in games. 

"Omae wa mo shindeiru, F.O.E.!"

( Monsters probably can't shout "Nani?!" though )

Hey, I just realized my full review embargo lifted this morning!  I can now talk about everything and anything in the game.  First off, this game is LLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGG!  I'm pushing 40 hours and on the 7th or 8th labyrinth (not to mention all the size ones that are just 1 floor) and I've not even hit the subclass part yet (I'd actually forgotten about it).  My party is doing OK, but I'd been used to rolling FOEs the past 10 hours or so, and now I'm back to where they can basically 1 or 2 round kill my entire party!

This game might very easily be 100 hours with just story and such.  Granted I've done every optional labyrinth and all but 2 quests at the bar, so that's slowed me down, but it's too fun not to do it all.

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Hey, I just realized my full review embargo lifted this morning!  I can now talk about everything and anything in the game.  First off, this game is LLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGG!  I'm pushing 40 hours and on the 7th or 8th labyrinth (not to mention all the size ones that are just 1 floor) and I've not even hit the subclass part yet (I'd actually forgotten about it).  My party is doing OK, but I'd been used to rolling FOEs the past 10 hours or so, and now I'm back to where they can basically 1 or 2 round kill my entire party!

This game might very easily be 100 hours with just story and such.  Granted I've done every optional labyrinth and all but 2 quests at the bar, so that's slowed me down, but it's too fun not to do it all.

* blinks * Pardon me, did you say 7th or 8th Labyrinth?  Are they all 4-6 floors like the labyrinths in EO4?   My, but won't I have my work cut out for me. 

EO4 was the first EO I actually completed the main story of, so maybe if Nexus is similarly structured, I've got a good shot at sticking to it this time.  I really hope I do.  I don't know why I'm so easily distracted from my awesome games.  I really gotta actually finish one that's not retro once in a while!  I'll do my best!

Curious, Platty, what party build have you used for your review?  Maybe I'll get a solid idea beyond my Pugilist as my self-insert.  I liked Harbingers, so I'm thinking of bringing one of them, and I HAVE to have a Zodiac in there somewhere. Just feels wrong to have an adventure party with no mage.  I understand that, until post-game, nearly any combo is viable as long as the party is diverse (not, for example, 5 Medics) .

Yes, it's a lot like EO4, lots of places, fewer floors on most. Just no overworld travel. I'll have to load up my game, but I know I have hero, gunner,... And 3 more. Haha. I forget just now. It wasn't the best team, took forever for elemental attacks.

I have a Nightseeker - inflict status ailments and then huge damage

Hero - did big damage early, feel like he's going down the further I go, but unlocking level 40 skills helped

Gunner - does binds, occasionally bigger damage

War Magus - healing, front line, does huge damage once status effects are in place

Soverign - buffs. Lots of buffs. Buffs can heal too.

Edited by Plattym3
1 hour ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

* blinks * Pardon me, did you say 7th or 8th Labyrinth?  Are they all 4-6 floors like the labyrinths in EO4?   My, but won't I have my work cut out for me. 

EO4 was the first EO I actually completed the main story of, so maybe if Nexus is similarly structured, I've got a good shot at sticking to it this time.  I really hope I do.  I don't know why I'm so easily distracted from my awesome games.  I really gotta actually finish one that's not retro once in a while!  I'll do my best!

Curious, Platty, what party build have you used for your review?  Maybe I'll get a solid idea beyond my Pugilist as my self-insert.  I liked Harbingers, so I'm thinking of bringing one of them, and I HAVE to have a Zodiac in there somewhere. Just feels wrong to have an adventure party with no mage.  I understand that, until post-game, nearly any combo is viable as long as the party is diverse (not, for example, 5 Medics) .

The labyrinths definitely seem somewhat smaller than normal floors and most have 2-4 on them depending on the labyrinth, but that could be 1-5 (maybe even 6, they seem to be increasing as the game goes on).

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Yes, it's a lot like EO4, lots of places, fewer floors on most. Just no overworld travel. I'll have to load up my game, but I know I have hero, gunner,... And 3 more. Haha. I forget just now. It wasn't the best team, took forever for elemental attacks.

I have a Nightseeker - inflict status ailments and then huge damage

Hero - did big damage early, feel like he's going down the further I go, but unlocking level 40 skills helped

Gunner - does binds, occasionally bigger damage

War Magus - healing, front line, does huge damage once status effects are in place

Soverign - buffs. Lots of buffs. Buffs can heal too.

I was going to subclass my Pugilist as Hero, and make that my primary source of physical damage, with the Afterimage power I've read about.  Gunner sounds good.  I'm also supposing that Sovereign is the opposite of Arcanist.  One gives "orders" that buff and heal, where Arcanist does "circles" that debuff enemies and heal allies.  Nightseeker seems to be Dark Hunter 2.0, which is nice. 

I think I may actually try a Pugilist, an Imperial up front, and a Sovereign and Arcanist, in the back.  The 5th slot I could use another idea for.

A new article about Etrian Odyssey Nexus:

Etrian Odyssey Nexus Can Feel Like A Fond Farewell To An Era

“The Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS allowed Atlus an opportunity to create a very special sort of series. Etrian Odyssey is a dungeon-crawler that called to mind the old days, when someone would head into a first-person labyrinth and keep track of the map on graphing paper as they would go. Except with these dual-screen systems, someone always had the map on-hand on the lower screen and the action on top. But now, we may be entering the final phase of the Nintendo 3DS’ lifespan and may not see a successor capable of showcasing that same sort of gameplay. With Etrian Odyssey Nexus, it is like we are having a grand reunion. Here is where the series has been. This is what it has been doing lately. Let’s savor these moments, while we wonder how or if it might be adapted for systems that only have one screen.

Etrian Odyssey Nexus begins the adventure as many do. You are a newcomer to Maginia, a city that has invited people from places like Arcania, Armoroad, and Lagaard, to come and explore a series of mysterious labyrinths on the Lemuria Archipelago and contain properties and monsters similar to ones from those locations’ habitats. You’re starting from scratch, as usual. However, this time around, there’s a wide range of classes from all five previous games here. Dungeons call to mind the ones from previous entries, so we’ll see labyrinths with aquatic, forest, rain forest, and runic biomes. Similar monsters will appear. It can feel a lot like a greatest hits event. Those classes you may have loved, from A (Arcanist) to Z (Zodiac), have returned.

The thing is, it is more than just a greatest hits session. Etrian Odyssey Nexus lets people have some of the classes, dungeons, and opponents that were great in past installments, but puts them all in environments that take advantage of how much the series has improved over the years. The original Etrian Odyssey didn’t have any Force system, whereas this has a Force Boost that powers people up and Force Break that lets you use a super powerful skill once per a dungeon run, meaning we’re seeing characters like the Landsknecht, Protector, and Survivalist with these. Forging and Subclassing mechanics were only added in the third installment, but are both here for improving and refining characters and weapons. There’s an actual world map, with nodes that highlight different dungeons and locations to explore, which is a general concept present in later installments, different difficulty levels, the ability to set automapping (to varying degrees), and an option to customize character portraits. People who dropped off along the way can pick up Etrian Odyssey Nexus and immediately be caught up with what the series has to offer, with everything explained in a way that doesn’t involve overzealous handholding.

I would even say Etrian Odyssey Nexus benefits from the Etrian Odyssey Untold updated releases, which offered preset characters and a little more story structure. While there are no presets here, this installment does more to make you feel like the Lemuria Archipelago is full of fellow adventurers who are also exploring the dungeons. You will keep running into people from other guilds or from different regions summoned there. (Even more so, should you share QR codes with other players so you can happen upon their guilds randomly in areas.) Having people along who provide you with extra exposition and maybe some additional materials or healing is to the game’s benefit. It doesn’t take away from the custom stories you might create for your party members in your head, but does increase the immersion by making it feel as though everyone really is all in this together.

Even the Hero, Etrian Odyssey Nexus‘ highlighted new class originating in this installment, might feel like a way to call tribute to past games and cap things off. It is the sort of all-around character that feels like it can’t lose; this is the class we deserved, needed, and wanted. Its use of Afterimages, doubles spawned after using certain skills, gives people an opportunity to have that shadow character automatically have an additional special attack hit opponents, take a hit for a weak ally, or perhaps have the original hero regain TP when one is present. It is like having someone around who can do it all, a person with the possibility to become overpowered when handled properly. It is a solid job that works as a main or subclass and generally helpful to have around. Perhaps like, “You made it this far! You are exploring what are possibly the ultimate dungeons! Here is the ultimate character!”

While it would be tragic if Etrian Odyssey Nexus does end up being the final entry in the series, it feels like this would be the perfect way for it to go out. If things are changed drastically in the future or it doesn’t continue, Nintendo 3DS owners had an ultimate installment that attempted to bring back some of the most relevant classes, dungeons, and elements to a massive entry that does Etrian Odyssey justice.”

Read more at https://www.siliconera.com/2019/02/04/etrian-odyssey-nexus-can-feel-like-a-fond-farewell-to-an-era/#Zca2DWWahR8cx7LJ.99

• Like 1