Etrian Odyssey Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, Democrobot said:

It's on my to-play list, if I am being honest.

Excellent. Sorry if my reply sounded mean earlier.

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Oh, it's not a script.  From what I recall, it's mainly in the dungeon.  Characters will yell out "watch out" when a FOE draws near or "let's get them" at the beginning of the battle.  I thought that's pretty much it, just a few choice phrases.

Yeah, the voiced dialogue isn’t vast. Characters do have fully voiced lines when you first meet them and in certain cutscenes, but the majority of lines are stuff like “I see...” “Hello!” “Now let me explain the quest...” and battle cries and the like. Etrian’s English voice acting has been good overall, but I play with voices off since I like getting lost in the music while exploring.

2 hours ago, Tiael said:

I dig it.

Might even be done with Dragon Quest XI, Tales of Vesperia Remaster HD and Valkyria Chronicles 4.

And Cosmic Star Heroine, whenever Sony finishes printing discs and gets them to LRG.

Can he dig it? YES HE CAN!

Did you finish Etrian 5 by the way? I’m happy to help if you need some.

1 hour ago, JaybirdC said:

At some point, I think the sheer enthusiasm for EO on this forum may get me into it.

In the distant, distant future, once everything else I need to take care of is finished up.

YES, MY INFLUENCE IS WORK- I mean, oh good! More Etrian peeps!

Seriously though, while I can get excited about the series and have no regrets for my enthusiasm, Etrian Odyssey really is a great RPG series. Lots of customization for parties, exploration and dungeon mapping is a rewarding experience, awesome soundtracks courtesy of Yuzo Koshiro, and some good mystery and revelations as you get to the final portions of the game. Story wise it’s more akin to Dragon Quest: character and world building from speaking with the NPCs and doing quests rather than some ever present story.

I think you’d like it Jaybird.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Squirrels ruin outside life here where I live, chewing up playground equipment and car parts.  Hell, there are so many running all over, they ruin inside life too because the damn dog hardly ever stop

My current party is as follows: Coop - Protector Mini - Landsknecht Angelo - Survivalist Jessica - Dark Hunter Nynaveve - Medic So far the party has worked out well and I

Well, maybe I won't have enough time to buy 2. Still, after playing the demos, I'm looking forward to it!   That and Yangus' passion for the series is charming and gets me hyped. 

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Huh? I picked it up maybe 4 weeks ago (July 19th to be exact). Amazon has had it and it's even price dropped for a month to $29.99. It's out of stock now, but has been in and out of stock a few times.  

It looks like a good number of 3rd party sellers have it new for the usual price of a new 3DS game (aka $40).

It still bums me out Strange Journey Redux didn’t get an English dub. That game is perfect for an English dub.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

but the majority of lines are stuff like “I see...” “Hello!” “Now let me explain the quest...” and battle cries and the like.

Oh no. Is this the kind of stuff like what Radiant Historia does for all non-major characters, and says a short "standard" line of dialogue every time they have a dialogue box, but what they are saying doesn't directly correspond to the text in the box?

That is so awfully offputting. In that case I'm really glad we aren't getting English voices.

Also:

Man the FM version of the boss theme is really old school classic Yuzo Koshiro!

I hope the game settings allow you to switch between FM and arranged for each individual song on the soundtrack. :P 

• Like 1

That would be a nice feature, but it will probably be one or the other like the Untold games and Etrian 5.

It is nice to hear the FM synth is going for a new type of sound. I have to give Yuzo Koshiro credit for making each game’s FM synth version of the soundtrack different in overall sound when compared to each other.

If only Etrian 4 had gotten an FM synth soundtrack. There were plans to release one on CD, but the plans fell through on that and it never happened. Maybe someday we’ll see it happen.

I hope the game settings allow you to switch between FM and arranged for each individual song on the soundtrack.  
That's a level of customization I'd never think to expect in my lifetime.
4 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
10 hours ago, Sumez said:

I hope the game settings allow you to switch between FM and arranged for each individual song on the soundtrack. emoji14.png 

That's a level of customization I'd never think to expect in my lifetime.

The parallel dimension version of you would love it.

On 8/15/2018 at 10:26 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Did you finish Etrian 5 by the way? I’m happy to help if you need some.

I'm coming back to the game this month (finally), and going to finally get the WoodStars off of 13F!

I've been waffling from game-to-game after Octopath Traveler, and now it's finally time EO5 got it's long overdue conclusion for me.  I'm also going to New Jersey with the husband from the Aug. 26-29 to see his mom, my mother-in-law, and EO5 will be perfect for whatever times I'm not spending with him and the in-law. 

Yang, sorry I've been away from it so long.  Your prodding and the impending launch of EONX is finally spurring me on!  l'll be a good dog!  :)

PS: EONX good abbreviation for EO: Nexus?

PPS:  How many more EO games do you think there'll be, and on what?  Weren't there 7 world trees?  Wasn't that explained somehow?

PPPS (wow ) This was my 777th post! Seven a winner!  Winner winner chicken dinner!

Edited by The Dog of Zahan
  • Like 1

I'm really curious to see how the series evolves on another platform. The exploration will obviously be easy, but the simultaneous mapping...

We really need a thinking slime emoji.

I'm coming back to the game this month (finally), and going to finally get the WoodStars off of 13F!
I've been waffling from game-to-game after Octopath Traveler, and now it's finally time EO5 got it's long overdue conclusion for me.  I'm also going to New Jersey with the husband from the Aug. 26-29 to see his mom, my mother-in-law, and EO5 will be perfect for whatever times I'm not spending with him and the in-law. 
Yang, sorry I've been away from it so long.  Your prodding and the impending launch of EONX is finally spurring me on!  l'll be a good dog! 
PPS:  How many more EO games do you think there'll be, and on what?  Weren't there 7 world trees?  Wasn't that explained somehow?
PPPS (wow ) This was my 777th post! Seven a winner!  Winner winner chicken dinner!
It's the 10th game in the EO universe, so I'm calling it EOX. It was EOX in Japan I believe. But since we haven't had them all here (missing EOMD2) and because when doesn't this happen to games, it got the name Nexus. That X is pretty prominent.

Could be worse, they could have chose Etrian Odyssey Xtreme.

There was a Grandia game with that title. Wasn't received well, if i remember right.

Could be worse, they could have chose Etrian Odyssey Xtreme.
There was a Grandia game with that title. Wasn't received well, if i remember right.
Shut your mouth. I loved that GAME.

Other people didn't. But I loved it. Grandia's battle system is the best I've ever played, and that game was all about battling. Who needs story & multiple places to go to anyway? It was EXTREME!
11 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
31 minutes ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Yang, sorry I've been away from it so long.  Your prodding and the impending launch of EONX is finally spurring me on!  l'll be a good dog!  emoji4.png

It's the 10th game in the EO universe, so I'm calling it EOX. It was EOX in Japan I believe. But since we haven't had them all here (missing EOMD2) and because when doesn't this happen to games, it got the name Nexus. That X is pretty prominent.

That’s pretty much why the game was called EOX, as well as it being a crossover of all the games. So the X worked for it being the 10th EO game in Japan and for representing the “Cross” over idea.

It being renamed to EO Nexus does work in English since Nexus means bringing together connections from multiple points, hence the many returning classes, characters, and areas.

I’m still going to call it EOX regardless, just like I still call Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold as “Untold 2.” Rolls off the tongue easier.

As for future games, you have to remember the whole “7 world trees,” thing was for Etrian Untold’s story mode only. That’s the ONLY time the supposed 7 trees have been mentioned. People forget the story modes of the Untold games are alternate tales to the original works/stories, and while they flesh out a few details, such as why the duo of Artelinde and Wilhelm defend the boss of the 3rd stratum so fiercely in Etrian 2, it also creates confusion and ruins moments from the original games/stories. Untold 1 especially pisses me off since they completely spill the beans on the big plot twist of that game like it’s nothing early on that you aren’t supposed to know until the 5th stratum, as well as ruining Visil. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HAAAAAAATE the changes to Visil so #$*!ing much.

I could really go into my complaints about the latter, but I’ll save it. The day has already been #$*!, and I don’t want to type up how I feel about the changes to Visil right now.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
46 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

That’s pretty much why the game was called EOX, as well as it being a crossover of all the games. So the X worked for it being the 10th EO game in Japan and for representing the “Cross” over idea.

It being renamed to EO Nexus does work in English since Nexus means bringing together connections from multiple points, hence the many returning classes, characters, and areas.

I’m still going to call it EOX regardless, just like I still call Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold as “Untold 2.” Rolls off the tongue easier.

As for future games, you have to remember the whole “7 world trees,” thing was for Etrian Untold’s story mode only. That’s the ONLY time the supposed 7 trees have been mentioned. People forget the story modes of the Untold games are alternate tales to the original works/stories, and while they flesh out a few details, such as why the duo of Artelinde and Wilhelm defend the boss of the 3rd stratum so fiercely in Etrian 2, it also creates confusion and ruins moments from the original games/stories. Untold 1 especially pisses me off since they completely spill the beans on the big plot twist of that game like it’s nothing early on that you aren’t supposed to know until the 5th stratum, as well as ruining Visil. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HAAAAAAATE the changes to Visil so #$*!ing much.

I could really go into my complaints about the latter, but I’ll save it. The day has already been #$*!, and I don’t want to type up how I feel about the changes to Visil right now.

Whoopsie. Sorry Yang, didn't mean to rub a sore spot.  Especially on a bad day.

Yeah, I get why the game was originally titled as it was, and the meaning of the western rename.  EOX it is! One less letter to type anyways.

I can totally see how Gladsheim ruins the plot twist of the 5th stratum.  Makes me glad I had played most of EO original first before Untold.  I frankly wish Gladsheim wasn't even a thing in EOU1. I'd almost say the premade characters and revamped dungeon should've been enough.

So yeah, back to EO5 I go!  Arcania needs my heroes to join the legions!  Still gotta learn if I was right about the twist.

In addition, tonight I suffered what I believe to be my first ever party wipe in the game to a Roaming Wraith.  I've been playing 33 hours on Advanced, so far, BTW. My fault for trying to punch above my weight  ( He was Yellow-ringed).

9 hours ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Yang

On 8/17/2018 at 9:13 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

* tucks tail between legs in shame *  :(

Seriously sorry I forgot you don't like that abbreviation, Yangus. 

Anyway, I'm up to 15F now, and going strong in the game, at long last again. 

Also pondering ahead of time what I should use as my latest and last iteration of my self-insert name for EOX.  I'll make the final call when teh game is in hand months from now, I suppose.  For now I should be focusing on the now, gaming-wise.

In the now, in EO5, I'm trying to fulfil the sidequests and thus level up for the Strat 3 boss.  Frankly even the Grand Spriggans and Flame Tempresses are giving me a good run for the money.

Is re-killing the previous strata bosses a few times a viable strat for getting stronger?

• 2 weeks later...

No one is going to talk about Nexus? Although if it’s due to the XI hype, I completely understand that haha. 

Edited by AzureVoid
1 hour ago, AzureVoid said:

No one is going to talk about Nexus? Although if it’s due to the XI hype, I completely understand that haha. 

We did talk about it when it was announced. Not much to go with from there. I want to remain oblivious to as much of the game as possible. Since it’s only 6 months away versus the long wait for Etrian 5, it will be easier to avoid temptation.

I suppose we could talk about what our starting parties would be, but the question is how many people will respond to it?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
14 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

We did talk about it when it was announced. Not much to go with from there. I want to remain oblivious to as much of the game as possible. Since it’s only 6 months away versus the long wait for Etrian 5, it will be easier to avoid temptation.

I suppose we could talk about what our starting parties would be, but the question is how many people will respond to it?

True enough. I lurked through that, I suppose I meant there wasn’t much talk since the localization announcement. Now that I think about it, there isn’t much to talk about after all haha. I definitely want to be spoiler free as well. 

I will say it looks awesome and the concepts seem sweet. The class assortment is nice as well. So many that I’ll probably have two parties. I’ll definitely use a hero though. 

I also kind kind of like the name Nexus even though some aren’t fond of it. 

(Wow, my bad, I somehow missed the page with all the Nexus hype, sorry guys.)

Edited by AzureVoid

I have no idea what the rest of my party will be, but I know I'm using a Pugilist sub-Hero as my self-insert, 'cause I spent the better half of my teen years taking karate, and I love martial arts.

My Etrian protagonists from Etrian 1-5 will be my party, as pictured below.

1798A17D-0702-4869-BA6A-7E38C8172958.thumb.jpeg.f3e127590ef5bac7602b5d4c3f379423.jpeg

Since not all of their default classes will be in game, I’ll take liberties and change Troubadour to a Hero to fit with the story I had for Etrian 1, Dark Hunter will be a Nightseeker, and Sniper will either be a Survivalist with an Arcanist sub to reflect what I did in Etrian 4 or will just be an Arcanist main.

The Prince and Pugilist will remain in their classes.

Seems like a pretty awesome party, dude. I really like the Pugilist. The Sniper was rad also. 

I definitely want to pull out someone from III. I loved the Zodiac class. Prince/Princess we’re bomb as well. I also constantly change my parties as I travel through the labyrinth. I’m so indecisive. I end up playing for so many hours due to it. 

43 minutes ago, AzureVoid said:

Seems like a pretty awesome party, dude. I really like the Pugilist. The Sniper was rad also. 

I definitely want to pull out someone from III. I loved the Zodiac class. Prince/Princess we’re bomb as well. I also constantly change my parties as I travel through the labyrinth. I’m so indecisive. I end up playing for so many hours due to it. 

I’m glad someone else likes Sniper. People on GameFAQs write the class off, but a Sniper/Arcanist does wonders for landing binds. I mainly used mine for binds, Eagle Eye, and other abilities rather than heavily focusing on the attack line of skills like the ones that pierce enemy lines for example. He did fine for the entire game and post game, so I failed to see why the Sniper was written off.

People seem a bit more critical towards Etrian 4 though since it had so many changes to the usual EO style.