Etrian Odyssey Discussion Thread

I was actually expecting fall/winter 2018, since putting out a new 3DS game in 2019 sounds dangerous to me. They are definitely in a hurry to get this out. But fortunately Atlus know how to make do with limited sales on a manageable budget, and they have their loyal fanbase, so hopefully it won't be a problem for them.

I had no idea EO5 took that long to get out. I was kind of out of the loop at the time (after burning out on EO3, with EO4 arriving for me to never unseal it until years later)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Squirrels ruin outside life here where I live, chewing up playground equipment and car parts.  Hell, there are so many running all over, they ruin inside life too because the damn dog hardly ever stop

My current party is as follows: Coop - Protector Mini - Landsknecht Angelo - Survivalist Jessica - Dark Hunter Nynaveve - Medic So far the party has worked out well and I

Well, maybe I won't have enough time to buy 2. Still, after playing the demos, I'm looking forward to it!   That and Yangus' passion for the series is charming and gets me hyped. 

Posted Images

Persona 5 slowed things down for a lot of their game releases. They had to bring in more people to work on the game just to get it finished, but the script was still rather flat. Of course it still sold well, but it did slow down progression on other games regardless.

Now the question is if we’ll see Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 get a western release. If it doesn’t get released it will be the first EO game to not be released outside of Japan.

1 minute ago, Sumez said:

Am I a terrible person for not feeling sorry about potentially missing that?

No.  I didn't really enjoy the first and sold it off.  Then again, Twinsie told me my most hated feature stopped had I waited it out another battle or two, so there's that.  But I definitely sunk 20+ hours into it.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! What fantastic news to wake up too! AND IT’S ARRIVING SO MUCH SOONER THAN ETRIAN 5 DID!!!!!!!

You guys....YOU GUYS....this is FANTASTIC news to wake up too! The hype is real! Let’s go EO!

I promise to preorder this, and to finish EO5 well before the time this comes out.  The 3rd Stratum Curse be hanged! 

56 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

No.  I didn't really enjoy the first and sold it off.  Then again, Twinsie told me my most hated feature stopped had I waited it out another battle or two, so there's that.  But I definitely sunk 20+ hours into it.

Yeah, once you figure out how to deal with DOE spawning, the game is a lot more enjoyable. There are good ideas in EMD1, but they weren’t ironed out enough.

I have no idea if they were fixed in EMD2 though. From my understanding the AI for party members was vastly improved, as were other elements.

The first English screenshots and details are up! YEAH!

Etrian Odyssey Nexus Gets Its First Story Details And Screenshots In English

image: http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/unnamed2_thumb.png

unnamed (2)

Following the announcement of Etrian Odyssey X coming Westward as Etrian Odyssey Nexus, Atlus has provided its first screenshots in English along with some more info on its story and features.

image: http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/unnamed3_thumb.png

unnamed (3)

A royal decree from Princess Persephone has prompted the gathering of the realm’s greatest explorers to the floating city of Maginia. Their goal-uncovering the mysteries of the archipelago of Lemuria, home to a great Yggdrasil Tree. Recruit explorers from 19 classes spanning the entire Etrian series, including the brand new “Hero” class, before setting out to Lemuria in search of treasure and glory!

image: http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/unnamed4_thumb.png

unnamed (4)

The longtime trio of Yuji Himukai (Character Designer), Shin Nagasawa (Monster Designer), and Yuzo Koshiro (Composer) return to bring life to Etrian Odyssey Nexus’s world. With iconic representatives and locations from past Etrian games, over a hundred story-rich quests, variable difficulty settings, the return of accessibility features like auto-mapping (optional!), and much more, Etrian Odyssey Nexus is the definitive Etrian experience for both longtime fans and series newcomers. Gather your party, stock up on FOE repellant, and start brushing up on your mapping skills for the launch of Etrian Odyssey Nexus on February 5, 2019!

Features

• The Definitive Etrian Odyssey Experience – With more classes, characters, gameplay systems, and labyrinths than any other game in the series, Etrian Odyssey Nexus is the ultimate dungeon-crawling adventure.

• Customize Your Perfect Exploration Party – Create and customize characters from 19 playable classes, then take on the dangerous creatures of Lemuria’s labyrinths with your perfect party!

• Both Newcomers and Veterans Welcome! – With the ability to swap between four distinct difficulty settings, auto-mapping settings, and a grand standalone story, there’s something for everyone from series newcomers to experienced veterans.

• A Love Letter to Etrian – Longtime series mainstays Yuji Himukai (Character Designer), Shin Nagasawa (Monster Designer), and Yuzo Koshiro (Composer) have come together to create the preeminent Etrian experience for the series’ final installment on the Nintendo 3DS™.

image: http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/unnamed5_thumb.png

unnamed (5)

image: http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/unnamed6_thumb.png

unnamed (6)

image: http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/unnamed7_thumb.png

unnamed (7)

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/15/etrian-odyssey-nexus-gets-its-first-story-details-and-screenshots-in-english/#7D9PM9rbv8UXGCRT.99

Also it’s confirmed to have Japanese voices only (which may be another reason why the game is being released so much sooner). Personally I don’t like playing with voices on anyway, so I’m not bothered by this choice.

For those who don’t want to click the link (aka Platty) basically someone asked why the game was listed with Japanese dub only on VG+. Atlus USA then confirmed the game will only have a Japanese dub.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

I looked at this on a real, live computer!!!!  Yeah, no biggie on the voices.

It’s a miracle, ladies and gentlemen. Praise the Sun! 🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞

40 minutes ago, FakePlattym3 said:

I looked at this on a real, live computer!!!!

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE REAL PLATTY

20 minutes ago, Democrobot said:

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE REAL PLATTY

Here I thought seeing you comment on this topic meant you were getting interested in the series. Should’ve known it was going to be a joke before checking. 😜

13 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I went back in time and swam faster than him. He's erased from the time line.

Does this mean we’re no longer Twinsies? Either way, you’re staying in the guild.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
8 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Here I thought seeing you comment on this topic meant you were getting interested in the series. Should’ve known it was going to be a joke before checking. 😜

It's on my to-play list, if I am being honest.

• Like 1

I don't feel voice acting is even particularly apt for this series - did EO5 have it? I haven't started on it yet, as I'm saving it for some long flights this fall.

If the game is going to have voice acting, I definitely prefer it being in a language I don't understand, rather than hearing b-grade actors stumble through a script presented to them out of context, so this is good news.

Edited by Sumez
54 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I don't feel voice acting is even particularly apt for this series - did EO5 have it? I haven't started on it yet, as I'm saving it for some long flights this fall.

If the game is going to have voice acting, I definitely prefer it being in a language I don't understand, rather than hearing b-grade actors stumble through a script presented to them out of context, so this is good news.

Oh, it's not a script.  From what I recall, it's mainly in the dungeon.  Characters will yell out "watch out" when a FOE draws near or "let's get them" at the beginning of the battle.  I thought that's pretty much it, just a few choice phrases.

Does this mean we’re no longer Twinsies? Either way, you’re staying in the guild.
Is the time clone of my Twinsie still my Twinsie. The world may never know!
Neat. Plenty of time to square away DQXI. Maybe Tales of Vesperia too, whenever that comes out.
For the fake news article I wrote today I researched Tales of V & all that was said was "Winter"

I dig it.

Might even be done with Dragon Quest XI, Tales of Vesperia Remaster HD and Valkyria Chronicles 4.

And Cosmic Star Heroine, whenever Sony finishes printing discs and gets them to LRG.

Edited by Tiael
At some point, I think the sheer enthusiasm for EO on this forum may get me into it.

In the distant, distant future, once everything else I need to take care of is finished up.
You'll probably catch up by the time Etrian Odyssey XX comes out for the New Nintendo Switch XL in 2028.
1 hour ago, JaybirdC said:

At some point, I think the sheer enthusiasm for EO on this forum may get me into it.

In the distant, distant future, once everything else I need to take care of is finished up.

Better not think too long for this one, I have a feeling it's going to have a very small print run and sell out fast. Strange Journey Redux lasted a few weeks on Amazon.

Better not think too long for this one, I have a feeling it's going to have a very small print run and sell out fast. Strange Journey Redux lasted a few weeks on Amazon.

Huh? I picked it up maybe 4 weeks ago (July 19th to be exact). Amazon has had it and it's even price dropped for a month to $29.99. It's out of stock now, but has been in and out of stock a few times.