Etrian Odyssey Discussion Thread

A new article is up about Etrian Odyssey Cross, this one detailing some of the new elements and changes that will be in Cross. The one point I’m interested in is that not all the labyrinths will be required to complete the game.
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/04/11/etrian-odyssey-x-director-talks-series-first-world-map-new-hero-class/
“Atlus recently announced Etrian Odyssey X as new “complete crossover title” that puts together everything from the series, and director Shigeo Komori shared more on what’s new in this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine. [Thanks, Gamestalk.]
Here are some highlights from the interview with Komori-san:
-Etrian Odyssey V was made to be a culmination made for the direction of “challenging something new.” However, on the other hand, Komori felt that there were many fans who expected it as a collection of all the good things from the series so far. That was one of the main reasons he decided to make Etrian Odyssey X as another compilation.

-The stage of Etrian Odyssey X is set in Remlia. This land is located far away from other continents, and has a sea of trees familiar to past adventurers that surrounds the Yggdrasil Tree located in the middle of the land.

-However, players might want to be careful as any knowledge of past dungeons might backfire. There are some elements that will put a smile on the faces of veteran Etrian Odyssey players as well.

-Komori says that implementing a world map is something he has always wanted to do. There are numerous labyrinths, and you’ll unlock new areas or activate events by meeting requirements.

-Etrian Odyssey X boasts the most volume thus far in the series, and it includes labyrinths that aren’t required to clear the game.

-The new class “Hero” has enough of a new feeling to not have it be overshadowed by conventional classes, as it has been made as a class suited for protagonists. It’s a all-rounded class that can attack, defend, and even heal.

-In order to make the main class show off its advantages, the Force Boost and Force Break systems are being introduced.”
Wait until the readers of the Daily Punctillio hear about this!
  • Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Squirrels ruin outside life here where I live, chewing up playground equipment and car parts.  Hell, there are so many running all over, they ruin inside life too because the damn dog hardly ever stop

My current party is as follows: Coop - Protector Mini - Landsknecht Angelo - Survivalist Jessica - Dark Hunter Nynaveve - Medic So far the party has worked out well and I

Well, maybe I won't have enough time to buy 2. Still, after playing the demos, I'm looking forward to it!   That and Yangus' passion for the series is charming and gets me hyped. 

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

The one point I’m interested in is that not all the labyrinths will be required to complete the game.

I really hope they are able to carry all this content without getting repetitive, or having a "main story" so watered down that the optional stuff feels less optional. Either way, I'm obviously gonna explore every single location, and I imagine most people would. :)

Didn't EO4 have a few optional labyrinths?

Here’s a news update on the game with all the information we know so far. This info has been compiled by Enfinite over on GameFAQs, so I don’t take credit for writing up what’s below. Just spreading the word and sharing:

“Release Information: 
- Aug 2, 2018 (JPN), 6480 yen (Physical and Digital). Single Player. 

Background/Misc Information:
- Meant to be the culmination of series that aims to bring the good things from past games, rather than adding new things. 
- The guild travels around via Airship on the land of Lemuria. 
- Familiar labyrinths are appearing around, but not everything may be as you remember. Discovering the cause of this may be one of the objectives.
- Various enemies as well as NPCs from different games also return in this game. Voice actor included, and some have newly drawn portraits. 
- This is the largest SQ game to date, if we include labyrinths that need not be explored for the completion of the game. 
- Mapping/Option/etc: all based on EO5 engine. 
- There is World Map where you can select the area to travel to (note: not EO4 Overworld). 

4 Difficulty Modes: Picnic, Basic, Expert, and Heroic
- Picnic: For those that want to enjoy the game like you are on a  picnic. 
- Basic: For those that want to enjoy the adventure.
- Expert: For those that have bested many labyrinths and do not fear death
- Heroic: For adventurers that aim above and beyond. 

Classes: 18 returning classes, 1 new class
- Selection primarily based on the popularity vote 
- Hero class design: jack-of-all-trade. 
- EOX Original: Hero (Yuusha)
- EO1/EOU: Protector, Medic, Survivalist, Ronin, Highlander
- EO2: Gunner, War Magus
- EO3: Farmer, Zodiac, Sovereign, Ninja, Shogun
- EO4: Landsknecht, Nightseeker, Imperial, Arcanist
- EO5: Harbinger, Pugilist

Character Customization: 
- Old portraits return, with the ability to recolour hair/etc like EO5. 
- 60 voices to choose from. 
- May change job title at the guild(?)

Guild Specifics: 
- Alter Class seems to be discontinued. 
- Organize menu: Change Title, Retire, Rest, Dismiss, Change Name, Change Appearance, Change Equipment. 
- 60 members seems to be the new limit.

Battle System
- Force Boost/Force Break system is included in favour of drawing out the uniqueness of each class easily. 
- Overall UI resembles that of EO5, while Force replaces Union. 
- EO5-like stat division is applied; ATK/MAT, DEF/MDF, INT/WIS...

Class Specifics so far: 
- Hero: Mirage Sword; some sort of cut attack, followed by creation of some afterimage. 
- Ronin: Some sort of new skill(?) called 横一文字 (basically Horizontal Slash). Not the same name as Severing Slash from EOU. 
- Zodiac: 3 elemental stars + Etheric Charge returns. New buff skill called Etheric Shine(?). 
- War Magus: War Heal, War Heal Line, Displace, Random Disease, Strength Slash, Guard Slash returns. 
- Protector: Returns with Shield Protect and Perfect Defense as the Force Boost/Force Break. 

DLC: 
- So far, free portrait DLC for early adoptors. These are portraits drawn by different artists for different games.
- Shigatake (Dragon's Crown) drawing Farmer, Shigenori Soejima (Persona) drawing Re:Fantasy collaboration(?), Mota (7th Dragon DS) drawing Medic, Shirow Miwa (7th Dragon 2020/VFD) drawing Nightseeker, and Yuki Takahata (Etrian Odyssey Manga) drawing Gunner.”

Sources: 
- http://sq-atlus.jp/sqx/
- https://nintendoeverything.com/etrian-odyssey-x-has-a-world-map-and-more-tidbits-from-famitsu/
- https://nintendoeverything.com/scans-roundup-etrian-odyssey-x-disgaea-refine-closed-nightmare-more/

Personally, I’m REALLY excited to hear about the Heroic difficulty option. Etrian 5’s Advance difficultly did have a few hard points, but I never felt as challenged when playing in Advance as I did with Untold 1 & 2’s Expert difficulty mode.

It’s also neat we’ll see a bit of a collaboration with Atlus’s new RPG project (Project Re: Fantasy) with that pre-order portrait. There’s usually references to other Atlus properties in each Etrian game, such as Trauma Center ones in Etrian 1 and 2. I’m guessing we’ll get that and the other bonus portraits in the western release either as a bonus as well or as post launch free DLC for a while. Hopefully any other DLC will just be more cosmetic stuff and those easy grind quests.

• 3 weeks later...

So..I'm about 1 hour and 45 minutes into EO untold.

I have to say, I was pretty apprehensive about a game that I had to map on my own. But I am absolutely impressed. The depth of the game is amazing, the class choices are great, and battle is fun. the encounter rate is frequent enough to level up and improve battle proficiency, but not so frequent that it is obnoxious.

I have a question though, what is the point of having so many open slots for guild characters? Is it not prudent to go through the game with the same five characters?

Also, do all of the etrian games follow this same structure? Or is it unique to the Untold versions?

All in all, I think I may  have found a new game obsession.

2 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

So..I'm about 1 hour and 45 minutes into EO untold.

I have to say, I was pretty apprehensive about a game that I had to map on my own. But I am absolutely impressed. The depth of the game is amazing, the class choices are great, and battle is fun. the encounter rate is frequent enough to level up and improve battle proficiency, but not so frequent that it is obnoxious.

I have a question though, what is the point of having so many open slots for guild characters? Is it not prudent to go through the game with the same five characters?

Also, do all of the etrian games follow this same structure? Or is it unique to the Untold versions?

All in all, I think I may  have found a new game obsession.

Welcome to Etrian Odyssey. It's a fun obsession to have.

Every game always has multiple character slots. 1st game only had 16, but from there it's gone up to 30, or in the Untold games cases 25 since you need 5 slots dedicated for the story mode characters. Main reason for multiple slots is so players can make back up or alternate teams. Maybe a certain boss is giving you trouble but you had another team idea ready to go, maybe one that focuses on binds and ailments over pure damage or something.

I've always taken advantage of the multiple slots by creating one of every class. While I do it for personal story reasons, I also do it so I can always have access to every class in case I want to change my main party. While some games let benched characters gain EXP without entering the dungeon, most of the time you need to level them up on your own.

Also the biggest reason: gathering parties. A lot of players will use team of just Survivalists, Farmers, or whatever the resource hunting classes are to enter dungeons with little worries and gather as much as possible from Chop, Take, and/or Mine points.

What do you mean by "this structure?" Are you still talking about the multiple slots with that? Or something else?

I'm happy to answer any and all questions you might have. I always like to help newer players get into the swing of things since Etrian Odyssey can be a little intimidating at first, but can become so much fun once you get into the swing of things.

I just found a launch edition of Etrian Odyssey II for the 3DS “new”. $40. Now I have all the 3DS Launch editions. Hell yeaaaah.

New info for Etrian Odyssey X (Cross) is out! This time, it goes over some details of the Hero class and several NPCs you'll encounter while exploring. If you want to see the rest of the pictures I didn't add here, follow  the link at the bottom.

"Atlus shared new information and screenshots for Etrian Odyssey X, with more details on how the new Hero class plays as well as an introduction to key NPCs, a new area, and bonus character class illustrations.

Hero (Frontline: Attack & Defense type)

IMG_1662.JPG.df23865e4fa3426ac9d8341e7a34dc1a.JPGIMG_1663.JPG.2fbd59fdaaed384fcbe6e17690b8c467.JPG

Here’s are different versions for the new Hero class’ appearance:

IMG_1664.JPG.6897a3575bde3f65e10bef10b123f06f.JPGIMG_1665.JPG.11a9f7a936e02b43998531d903a6120d.JPG

We also got some details on the unique skills of “Force Boost” and “Force Break”:

Before going into the Hero class skills, here are details on the “Afterimage” passive skill for the class:

When a character learned the Hero’s passive skill “Vestige,” there’s a chance they can bring out an “Afterimage” that joins the party.

In the above demonstration we see a Hero attack the enemy using the “Brave Wide” attack.

As you can see, the Hero left behind an afterimage. In the next turn, the afterimage will do another “Brave Wide” attack. Basically, an afterimage will use the attack skill that was used when they were created on the prior turn. After their attack turn, the afterimage disappears.

They say there’s more to it with a variety of combinations you can use with skills and the afterimages.

Force Boost “Brave Heart” – During three turns, your character’s afterimage chances and afterimage attack power gets a massive boost.

Force Break “Miracle Edge” – Hits all enemies with a close-ranged slash attack, recovers HP of all party members past their maximum health.

Skill “Mirage Sword” – Hits a single target with a ranged slash attack. High chance of creating an afterimage.

Skill “Regiment Rave” – At the end of a turn you can hit one target with a close-ranged slash & fire element attack that increases with the more damage dealt by your party during this turn.

The above is a look at the Hero’s skill tree at novice.

Next up are the NPCs. In Etrian Odyssey X we’ll meet over 20 different NPCs. Here’s a look at six of them:

Marco (CV: Kengo Kawanishi)

IMG_1666.JPG.e0109af12612031248692905bc5f4e71.JPG

A wise and sharp-eyed adventurer. He’s in a guild together with Oliver. Contrary to Oliver who always rushes into labyrinths without thinking, Marco prefers to go in smart and carefully.

Oliver (CV: Yoshihisa Kawahara)

IMG_1667.JPG.9948b36f624638af8be28ae617d1ebbf.JPG

An adventurer with a trained body. He’s in a guild together with Marco, and arrived in Lemuria in search of treasure. He has a jocular and daring personality.

Rob (CV: Soma Saito)

IMG_1668.JPG.2562793dfa216fbdcc1348d1be514c03.JPG

Rob arrived in Lemuria as an adventurer, and while he doesn’t speak much he’s a young man with an intense vibe. He seems to take care of Karis.

Karis (CV: Shizuka Ishigami)

IMG_1669.JPG.34c94ce8b14d3f6331fe90afb9d949ce.JPG

Karis is a bright and cheerful girl who arrived in Lemuria as an adventurer. She’s a tank but seems to still be learning the ropes. She seems to have some sort of relationship with Rob.

Leo (CV: Ayamu Murase)

IMG_1670.JPG.5e1da50a15716de200a45d40c0671ded.JPG

A young man who arrived in Lemuria as an adventurer. He shows a dark attitude and is a little blunt in his words. He explores the dangerous sea of trees alone, and they say his reason has something to do with his past.

Brigitte (CV: Maaya Uchida)

IMG_1671.JPG.beb0c1be6083ab19b4ef66c54d65882b.JPGA novice adventurer you’ll encounter at the start of your journey. She finds herself in trouble while gathering herbs in the forest and gets help from the player.

The above is a look at a map of the “Cerulean Woodlands” where you’ll meet Oliver and Marco. We’re not sure why we’ll revisit this area, but the mystery of the ancient civilization will be yours to solve.

IMG_1672.JPG.d015397ebbe926f9451d493b77c90749.JPG

The above is a look at some of the first-print bonus DLC, the “New Adventurer Illustration Pack” that allows you to change things up with alternate illustrations for different classes.

This includes the previously teasedGunner illustration by FLIPFLOPs based on the character from the Etrian Odyssey II: The Snowflake Girl manga.

Etrian Odyssey X releases in Japan on August 2, 2018 for Nintendo 3DS."

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/01/etrian-odyssey-x-details-new-hero-class-key-npcs-bonus-character-class-illustrations/

If Karis was blonde, I would have mistaken her for a certain intergalatic bounty hunter

The only Hero portrait I'm not a fan of is the younger male one (pink haired kid). While I like Himaukai's art style, sometimes his design choices are.....well, odd. He'd be a good choice for a child prodigy kind of hero, or maybe a kid who wants to be like those he idolized but soon learns it's no so easy. I'd just rather use one of the older, green haired Heroes.

More info about the Hero class, including a trailer for it!

"The Hero class is described as a warrior wielding a sword and shield who never gives up even in dire situations. The Hero class has a unique passive ability that gives them a chance to bring out an “Afterimage” after performing a skill. An Afterimage will use the exact same attack skill that was used to bring it out on the following turn.

The first skill we see is “Mirage Sword” which hits a single target with a ranged slash attack. This skill has higher chances of bringing out an Afterimage. The next one is called “Regiment Rave” which performs a mixed element attack plus added damage depending on the total damage given by your party this turn.

“Brave Heart” is a Force Boost that gives the Hero class character a massive boost in Afterimage appearance rate and attack power for the next three turns. Lastly, we have the Force Break called “Miracle Edge” that hits all enemies with a close-ranged slash attack while recovering HP for party members beyond their maximum health."

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/02/etrian-odyssey-xs-new-hero-class-trailer-shows-off-unique-abilities/#tRkrLuTqrxoUJXad.99

On 4/30/2018 at 3:33 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Welcome to Etrian Odyssey. It's a fun obsession to have.

Every game always has multiple character slots. 1st game only had 16, but from there it's gone up to 30, or in the Untold games cases 25 since you need 5 slots dedicated for the story mode characters. Main reason for multiple slots is so players can make back up or alternate teams. Maybe a certain boss is giving you trouble but you had another team idea ready to go, maybe one that focuses on binds and ailments over pure damage or something.

I've always taken advantage of the multiple slots by creating one of every class. While I do it for personal story reasons, I also do it so I can always have access to every class in case I want to change my main party. While some games let benched characters gain EXP without entering the dungeon, most of the time you need to level them up on your own.

Also the biggest reason: gathering parties. A lot of players will use team of just Survivalists, Farmers, or whatever the resource hunting classes are to enter dungeons with little worries and gather as much as possible from Chop, Take, and/or Mine points.

What do you mean by "this structure?" Are you still talking about the multiple slots with that? Or something else?

I'm happy to answer any and all questions you might have. I always like to help newer players get into the swing of things since Etrian Odyssey can be a little intimidating at first, but can become so much fun once you get into the swing of things.

On the, "structure," comment, I mean do all the Etrian games play the same way? With a central hub or town, and quests being taken care of outside that area, with battles, dungeon crawling, and gameplay set up in a similar manner? I was just wondering if the general gameplay and set-up were different since I am playing an, "Untold" version of the game.

4 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

On the, "structure," comment, I mean do all the Etrian games play the same way? With a central hub or town, and quests being taken care of outside that area, with battles, dungeon crawling, and gameplay set up in a similar manner? I was just wondering if the general gameplay and set-up were different since I am playing an, "Untold" version of the game.

Alright, thanks for explaining.

Yes, the structure of the series is the same ideas, similar to what Dragon Quest does with each game. You get the same basic gameplay features, but each game has it's own gameplay ideas as well. The Untold games for example have a new alternate Story Mode with a preset party, new dungeons required for the story to advance (these can still be explored in Classic mode with the exception of Gladshiem in Etrian Untold 1), added facilities to give you some boosts if you want to use them, the grimoire stone system to let your classes use skills outside their skill trees...

It's not a full list, but that should give an idea. I like to compare the series to Dragon Quest as you can always expect the same gameplay and what makes the series good, but each entry has something different to it to help it stand out as its own experience. Some games go a bit more into story, some are a lot more simple but offer a lore in the background (and as you get closer to the end of the game), some encourage a subclass system, others want you to make the most out of your 5 classes skill sets alone and find a good synergy...

While I do think highly of the series, I do have to give the team behind it a real thumbs up from not straying from what makes the series so good: it's wonderful gameplay.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2018 at 8:23 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Alright, thanks for explaining.

Yes, the structure of the series is the same ideas, similar to what Dragon Quest does with each game. You get the same basic gameplay features, but each game has it's own gameplay ideas as well. The Untold games for example have a new alternate Story Mode with a preset party, new dungeons required for the story to advance (these can still be explored in Classic mode with the exception of Gladshiem in Etrian Untold 1), added facilities to give you some boosts if you want to use them, the grimoire stone system to let your classes use skills outside their skill trees...

It's not a full list, but that should give an idea. I like to compare the series to Dragon Quest as you can always expect the same gameplay and what makes the series good, but each entry has something different to it to help it stand out as its own experience. Some games go a bit more into story, some are a lot more simple but offer a lore in the background (and as you get closer to the end of the game), some encourage a subclass system, others want you to make the most out of your 5 classes skill sets alone and find a good synergy...

While I do think highly of the series, I do have to give the team behind it a real thumbs up from not straying from what makes the series so good: it's wonderful gameplay.

Yep. I'm liking the gameplay more and more as I go. I couldn't imagine story mode is nearly as fun as Classic though. I love the ability to completely customize.

With all that being said, it looks like this game is going to be a total time sink.

• Like 1
On 5/1/2018 at 6:55 PM, jay said:

If Karis was blonde, I would have mistaken her for a certain intergalatic bounty hunter

Doesn't look blonde to me

300x.jpg

Edited by Sumez
On 5/12/2018 at 10:13 PM, cprmauldin said:

Yep. I'm liking the gameplay more and more as I go. I couldn't imagine story mode is nearly as fun as Classic though. I love the ability to completely customize.

With all that being said, it looks likes game is going to be a total time sink.

Yes, but -- and Yangus can correct me if I'm wrong -- if you finish Story mode before Classic mode,you can make Highlanders in Classic mode from then on.

That being said, I doubt you would go through the game twice at this point.

Especially not when there's so many other games in the series to enjoy! Each one a worthy time investment.

(Says the guy who's only actually beaten part 4... I'm a bad dog.  :( )

5 hours ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Yes, but -- and Yangus can correct me if I'm wrong -- if you finish Story mode before Classic mode,you can make Highlanders in Classic mode from then on.

That being said, I doubt you would go through the game twice at this point.

Especially not when there's so many other games in the series to enjoy! Each one a worthy time investment.

(Says the guy who's only actually beaten part 4... I'm a bad dog.  :( )

You can still make Highlanders and Gunners in Classic once you get NG+ active. Just use NG+, go to story and save, then go back and NG+ to Classic and you’ll be able to class change to Highlander and Gunner once you reach the minimum level. Or you can transfer the Highlander and Ricky/Fredrica directly to Classic mode via NG+ing to Story mode, saving, then immediately NG+ again to Classic and transfer guild members.

You don’t need them to beat the game anyway, so they aren’t required by any means. If you’re like me and replay the games with new teams it’s worth having them to see what’s possible, but again, you don’t absolutely need them.

Some things weren’t handled well with Untold 1, but U1 is still very much playable and enjoyable though, and is the better way to play the first game.

By the way @cprmauldin, what team are you using for your playthrough?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
6 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

You can still make Highlanders and Gunners in Classic once you get NG+ active. Just use NG+, go to story and save, then go back and NG+ to Classic and you’ll be able to class change to Highlander and Gunner once you reach the minimum level. Or you can transfer the Highlander and Ricky/Fredrica directly to Classic mode via NG+ing to Story mode, saving, then immediately NG+ again to Classic and transfer guild members.

You don’t need them to beat the game anyway, so they aren’t required by any means. If you’re like me and replay the games with new teams it’s worth having them to see what’s possible, but again, you don’t absolutely need them.

See, @YangustheLegendaryBandit?  That there, this is exactly why I called you in, my older EO brother, on this.  I haven't fully experienced most of the series, and am not as familiar with it's ins and outs, but the respect is there!

I'm still in the 3rd stratum of part 5, chipping away every week or so.  SMT SJR is going to be a signifigant distraction, but I WILL get to Stratum 5!

Well this is some exciting news! Atlus has revealed that EVERY character portrait from past games will be available to use in Etrian Odyssey X! This isn’t limited to in-game portraits either, as promotional artwork  of classes will be included as well. This doesn’t mean every class is going to be playable, but it does mean you can make a team from your favorite portraits from across the whole series and customize them too!

From the sounds of it, the portraits will all be free to download for a set period of time, and will need to be bought after the free period.

Here’s a trailer for the announcement.

I’m really glad I’m planning to import this game. I may not speak/read Japanese, but at least I’ll be able to fumble through the game with my favorite characters I’ve created from past games!

37 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

That's a lot of pictures!

That's a lot of pictures!

With the 5 numbered games alone (not including the remakes or alternate color portraits from EO 3-5) you'd have 212 portraits to choose from. And those are just for the playable classes in EO 1-5.

I'll have to figure it out later, but we're looking at well over 300 portraits you can select from in game! Atlus is really going all out for the fan service in this game and I love it! Definitely fits the festival/celebration style game they were wanting to make!

Well @Plattym3, I figured it out...we're gonna have 465 portraits to choose from. Now THAT is gonna be a lot of potential explorers!!!

Also, for more info on the DLC portrait packs, please check this link. There will be packs for each game and all will be free for the first month; afterwards, each pack will cost 100 yen, or $1.

https://gematsu.com/2018/05/etrian-odyssey-x-to-add-every-class-appearance-illustration-from-etrian-odyssey-i-to-v-as-free-dlc

• Like 1

Four....Hundred? Jeez i'm not gonna begin my adventure for hours

17 minutes ago, jay said:

Four....Hundred? Jeez i'm not gonna begin my adventure for hours

I KNOW! I’m already debating what characters of mine I’ll call upon for this game!

I’m just happy I can now use my main five protagonists from the past games! Gonna have to reconfigure some of them into other classes, but that’s no problem! I’m just happy The Bard, Blue, Forrest, Gryffon, and J.W. can work together in one game now! It’s like a dream come true.

IMG_0926.thumb.PNG.914e4de6715cf93071f0412d37b11c43.PNG

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I may have to take a page from your book and break out of my typical 5 travelers party