Etrian Odyssey Discussion Thread

Trailer for the new game, Etrian Odyssey Cross!

I was actually pretty spot on with my guess for the most part! It's cool to see a new class, the Hero, is being added, and it's nice to see a few NPCs from past games making an appearance.

I wonder if this game will fit into the world building of the other games, or if this will be more of a one-off "what if..." kind of experience?

Either way, I'm super excited! 19 classes to choose from is the highest yet in the series, and I saw a number of new and returning monsters in the footage, including the hippo FOE from EO3!

Better yet, the game is coming out on my birthday, August 2nd! Just found the perfect gift to buy for myself! :laugh:

Also, quick clarification on the classes with their English translation names:

Ronin, Farmer, Gunner, Hero (New class), Highlander, Imperial, Landsknecht, Medic, Arcanist, Nightseeker, Protector, Sovereign, Pugilist, Survivalist, Harbinger, Ninja, Shogun, War Magus, and Zodiac will be the classes.

One more thing: THEY BROUGHT THE FARMER BACK. That is reason enough to be happy.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Squirrels ruin outside life here where I live, chewing up playground equipment and car parts.  Hell, there are so many running all over, they ruin inside life too because the damn dog hardly ever stop

My current party is as follows: Coop - Protector Mini - Landsknecht Angelo - Survivalist Jessica - Dark Hunter Nynaveve - Medic So far the party has worked out well and I

Well, maybe I won't have enough time to buy 2. Still, after playing the demos, I'm looking forward to it!   That and Yangus' passion for the series is charming and gets me hyped. 

Posted Images

This is a good way to show off how happy and excited I am.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

I'm a little wondering if they're going to have maybe some special randomly generated dungeons

That would be so far from the concept of Etrian Odyssey. Somehow I've felt it creeping up, but it would really kill the game for me. The primary thing that keeps me coming back to the games is the excellently designed dungeons.

That's awfully close to my birthday too. Hmm. Time to round up generations of explorers

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

That would be so far from the concept of Etrian Odyssey. Somehow I've felt it creeping up, but it would really kill the game for me. The primary thing that keeps me coming back to the games is the excellently designed dungeons.

Well, I'm 100% certain that you've misinterpreted what I've said. 

I'm sure they'll have designed dungeons as they always have and I doubt that they'd go away from that and there's no evidence that they'd not do those great designs.  If you looked at the "overworld" on the trailer, it looked like a line with certain dots representing maybe separate dungeons (maybe like EOIV had), but that one line I quoted earlier makes me think there will be perhaps something like a post-game 100 floor, randomly created dungeon so that you can keep playing with your 19 different classes of people!

39 minutes ago, jay said:

That's awfully close to my birthday too. Hmm. Time to round up generations of explorers

You know, now I'm wondering how I need to handle my own story/characters. Without the Troubadour, Dark Hunter, and Sniper classes I can't have all my protagonists in the same guild, and it'd be odd to explain how only my Sovereign and Pugilist protagonists are there...

Damn it. I may have to do what I did with Etrian Mystery Dungeon and pull a "how did we end up here," kind of story. Hmmmmm...

9 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Well, I'm 100% certain that you've misinterpreted what I've said. 

I'm sure they'll have designed dungeons as they always have and I doubt that they'd go away from that and there's no evidence that they'd not do those great designs.  If you looked at the "overworld" on the trailer, it looked like a line with certain dots representing maybe separate dungeons (maybe like EOIV had), but that one line I quoted earlier makes me think there will be perhaps something like a post-game 100 floor, randomly created dungeon so that you can keep playing with your 19 different classes of people!

I think a randomly generated dungeon, even if it's only one giant one, might be difficult to pull off for a first person dungeon crawler. I don't know anything about programming, but I think it would be difficult to put in that kind of dungeon. And there wouldn't be much point to map it if it keeps changing every time.

I guess we'll find out over the next few months what it is they meant! Maybe we'll see some kind of nostalgia dungeon(s) with floors from the past games with some changes thrown in.

1 minute ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I think a randomly generated dungeon, even if it's only one giant one, might be difficult to pull off for a first person dungeon crawler. I don't know anything about programming, but I think it would be difficult to put in that kind of dungeon. And there wouldn't be much point to map it if it keeps changing every time.

Hmmmm... true.  Maybe they've written some algorithm that can do one though and each game would make one upon running and then get assigned a name/ID number.  That way once it's created, it's fixed and mapping would be set.  People could trade them via streetpass or such like the DQIX random grottos.

I'm completely taking random guesses here based on 1 line from the press release. :laugh:

* wags * Once more unto the breach, Denners!  I'm really happy about this, too!  I gotta finish PArt5 soon too. I'm WAY past the depression that took me out of that game (I didn't want to spoil the game by playing it when I had such thoughts on my mind as I did back last holiday season).

I do hope this game rounds out the series and gives us a satisfying sendoff to the main story.  Was kinda hoping to see this "Midgard" that the Untold series has hinted at, for the final release, but the locale the went with is absolutely amazing.  Flying city?  The final labyrinth rising out of a sinkhole in the ocean?  Looks fantastic!

Gameplay-wise, I can't believe they've brought the Highlanders and Imperials into the fold as selectable classes. that's pretty awesome. The Highlander was my favorite thing about EOU1, and the Imperial was my fave class from EO4!  My wheels are turning already. * gleeful barks *

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

but that one line I quoted earlier makes me think there will be perhaps something like a post-game 100 floor, randomly created dungeon so that you can keep playing with your 19 different classes of people!

In that case I didn't misinterpret anything. :)

As a programmer, I'd say it's extremely easy to do, and probably a lot easier than most other existing procedural system (think Minecraft, etc.), however, it would never be able to have the same hand crafted puzzle element that typically carries the series.

As usual, fantastic information to awaken to. I should have checked last night. The Hero class looks pretty awesome. I really like the design. I can’t believe all of these fantastic classes will be in this title. It’s going to be difficult to choose just 5. I’ll definitely end up with a back up team. If they take too long to announce this westward, I’ll be importing for certain. Pass some time before DQ XI haha. 

Edited by AzureVoid
3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Hmmmm... true.  Maybe they've written some algorithm that can do one though and each game would make one upon running and then get assigned a name/ID number.  That way once it's created, it's fixed and mapping would be set.  People could trade them via streetpass or such like the DQIX random grottos.

I'm completely taking random guesses here based on 1 line from the press release. :laugh:

See, I'd be fine with that. A grotto type of system would be interesting, maybe with bosses being from past games. Bring in the likes of the sea quest bosses from EO3, the DLC ones from Untold 2 (just, you know, without them being actual DLC this time), and stuff like that. It could make for a long running game.

1 hour ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

* wags * Once more unto the breach, Denners!  I'm really happy about this, too!  I gotta finish PArt5 soon too. I'm WAY past the depression that took me out of that game (I didn't want to spoil the game by playing it when I had such thoughts on my mind as I did back last holiday season).

I do hope this game rounds out the series and gives us a satisfying sendoff to the main story.  Was kinda hoping to see this "Midgard" that the Untold series has hinted at, for the final release, but the locale the went with is absolutely amazing.  Flying city?  The final labyrinth rising out of a sinkhole in the ocean?  Looks fantastic!

Gameplay-wise, I can't believe they've brought the Highlanders and Imperials into the fold as selectable classes. that's pretty awesome. The Highlander was my favorite thing about EOU1, and the Imperial was my fave class from EO4!  My wheels are turning already. * gleeful barks *

It's not going to be the final game in the series. It's just the last one being developed for the 3DS. The Etrian team hasn't commented on what will happen with the series going forward, but they said this game won't be the end of Etrian entirely. I've been trying to re-find the article where they first talked about it, but it's been hard to find it on previous pages here, and I know I would have posted it.

22 minutes ago, AzureVoid said:

As usual, fantastic information to awaken to. I should have checked last night. The Hero class looks pretty awesome. I really like the design. I can’t believe all of these fantastic classes will be in this title. It’s going to be difficult to choose just 5. I’ll definitely end up with a back up team. If they take too long to announce this westward, I’ll be importing for certain. Pass some time before DQ XI haha. 

I KNOW! Choosing only 5 will be one of the hardest choices, same with how difficult it is to choose in Untold 2! Personally I'm thinking of using my Imperial (Persavald) in my main party since I barely used the class in EO4 apart from the one who can assist you.

Actually, that could work for Persavald's story. I had his ending be really vague in EO4 due to what he was chasing after, and could probably tie in where he disappeared to as a lead in for EO Cross. Hmmm....

I found the article I was looking for. I think there's one more, but this was the one that first sprang to mind.

https://nintendoeverything.com/atlus-working-on-new-etrian-odyssey-teased-as-last-entry-using-a-bottom-screen-on-3ds/

Also, going to quote this older post from gooie since I had originally misinterpreted the article as well:

On 9/4/2017 at 11:25 PM, gooieooie said:

I seriously doubt the series will end here. Komori said that it'll be the last game in the series where maps are drawn on the 3DS touch screen; that just means that the one after that will be WITHOUT the 3DS touch screen. I don't think you have to worry.

49 minutes ago, Sumez said:

In that case I didn't misinterpret anything. :)

As a programmer, I'd say it's extremely easy to do, and probably a lot easier than most other existing procedural system (think Minecraft, etc.), however, it would never be able to have the same hand crafted puzzle element that typically carries the series.

Haha, OK, fair enough. 

Just to be clear, my guess is regular dungeons for the main game, but some bonus content that's random.  Basically (as Yangus will love) EOX/DQIX.

Yeah, it's definitely not the end, it'll probably move to Switch.

Yokai Watch 4 is also Switch bound.

Looks like Etrian Odyssey: Etrian Harder, bringing back all the classic portraits and all.

Artwork top notch as always.

Finally, a Hero class!

45 minutes ago, Tiael said:

Exactly. Etrian might not sell gangbusters like Persona or SMT, but it’s become a well established franchise for Atlus that they’d be silly to end it. Last I checked the series had reached 1.3 million (or it was 1.4, I’ll have to double check) in global sales, which is pretty good for a niche dungeon crawler!

I’m curious what the team could do on the Switch hardware. Maybe a new game that lets you swap between 3rd person and 1st person kind of like SMT Nocturne in a NG+ file.

5 minutes ago, Fates said:

Looks like Etrian Odyssey: Etrian Harder, bringing back all the classic portraits and all.

Artwork top notch as always.

Finally, a Hero class!

I actually saw someone say this new game will kind of be like the Dragon Quest III of the series, since we have a Hero class and a large amount of others who can join them on their adventures. Seemed like a good comparison to me!

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:
45 minutes ago, Tiael said:

Wait. Where's Yo-Kai Watch 3?

We haven’t gotten it yet. Nintendo is usually a few years late publishing Level-5 games. Fantasy Life released in 2012 in Japan but we didn’t see it until 2014, for example.

Yeah, Yokai Watch 3 Sushi and Tempura released in Japan in 2016.

A third version, Sukiyaki, was released later.

Ahh, I was just confused by the move away from the dying 3DS.  I'm very glad to hear the series will resume elsewhere!  Probably the Switch, which would be fine by me. Very glad I got one this time last year.

Still excited for Etrian Cross, no matter what it's status as far as the series swan song, or just that of it's tenure on the 3DS.

My one and only complaint so far is the lack of the Bushi from 4, or the Therian classes from 5.  I realize including them would be doubling up roles in a weird way, but, well, just look at my avatar, for cryin' out loud! I need some fuzzy allies!  I see the Arcanist is still in there, so it's not a humans-only thing...am I missing something?

Edited by The Dog of Zahan
34 minutes ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Ahh, I was just confused by the move away from the dying 3DS.  I'm very glad to hear the series will resume elsewhere!  Probably the Switch, which would be fine by me. Very glad I got one this time last year.

Still excited for Etrian Cross, no matter what it's status as far as the series swan song, or just that of it's tenure on the 3DS.

My one and only complaint so far is the lack of the Bushi from 4, or the Therian classes from 5.  I realize including them would be doubling up roles in a weird way, but, well, just look at my avatar, for cryin' out loud! I need some fuzzy allies!  I see the Arcanist is still in there, so it's not a humans-only thing...am I missing something?

I, or anyone who's beaten the game, couldn't tell you without going into major Etrian 5 spoilers. Finish the game or just get to the 5th stratum and you'll understand real quick.

Anyway, fun fact: 15 of the 19 classes were actually the top voted classes from a poll the Etrian team ran during the 10th anniversary. The only classes from the top 15 that aren't going to be in Etrian Cross are the Dancer and Runemaster classes, while the likes of the Farmer, Pugilist, and Survivalist are.

The one class I REALLY wish we were getting is the Beast class. They made it so freaking good in Etrian Untold 2! My wolf Fergus was such an amazing member of the team! Beasts don't get enough respect within the series...

14 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

You know, now I'm wondering how I need to handle my own story/characters. Without the Troubadour, Dark Hunter, and Sniper classes I can't have all my protagonists in the same guild, and it'd be odd to explain how only my Sovereign and Pugilist protagonists are there...

Damn it. I may have to do what I did with Etrian Mystery Dungeon and pull a "how did we end up here," kind of story. Hmmmmm...

I don't have that same problem, as SOMEONE from the previous guild comes back, usually with a new coat of paint. Now I've got a sort of Definitive Edition party. haha

12 minutes ago, jay said:

I don't have that same problem, as SOMEONE from the previous guild comes back, usually with a new coat of paint. Now I've got a sort of Definitive Edition party. haha

I'm still debating what I'll do, but depending on the portraits available it will be a combination of my main story characters and other story characters with the Hero class likely becoming the new protagonist who happens to share the same name as all the others by complete coincidence. It's a running joke with my lead characters that they all have the same name, but it's just by chance even though the Troubadour lead thinks it must mean something.

It's funny how I'm already planning this out and the news of the new game isn't even 24 hours old yet! This is what the Etrian hype does to me and I love it.

4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I'm still debating what I'll do, but depending on the portraits available it will be a combination of my main story characters and other story characters with the Hero class likely becoming the new protagonist who happens to share the same name as all the others by complete coincidence. It's a running joke with my lead characters that they all have the same name, but it's just by chance even though the Troubadour lead thinks it must mean something.

It's funny how I'm already planning this out and the news of the new game isn't even 24 hours old yet! This is what the Etrian hype does to me and I love it.

We don't expect anything less from out resident Yggdrasil Cartographer. My main problem is gonna be picking just 5 guys. Never really used more than that. But as for "plot". Like I said, i generally use the same basic guys from game to game. And that extends beyond Etrian. This'll just be another adventure for them.

A new article is up about Etrian Odyssey Cross, this one detailing some of the new elements and changes that will be in Cross. The one point I’m interested in is that not all the labyrinths will be required to complete the game.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/04/11/etrian-odyssey-x-director-talks-series-first-world-map-new-hero-class/

“Atlus recently announced Etrian Odyssey X as new “complete crossover title” that puts together everything from the series, and director Shigeo Komori shared more on what’s new in this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine. [Thanks, Gamestalk.]

Here are some highlights from the interview with Komori-san:

-Etrian Odyssey V was made to be a culmination made for the direction of “challenging something new.” However, on the other hand, Komori felt that there were many fans who expected it as a collection of all the good things from the series so far. That was one of the main reasons he decided to make Etrian Odyssey X as another compilation.

-The stage of Etrian Odyssey X is set in Remlia. This land is located far away from other continents, and has a sea of trees familiar to past adventurers that surrounds the Yggdrasil Tree located in the middle of the land.

-However, players might want to be careful as any knowledge of past dungeons might backfire. There are some elements that will put a smile on the faces of veteran Etrian Odyssey players as well.

-Komori says that implementing a world map is something he has always wanted to do. There are numerous labyrinths, and you’ll unlock new areas or activate events by meeting requirements.

-Etrian Odyssey X boasts the most volume thus far in the series, and it includes labyrinths that aren’t required to clear the game.

-The new class “Hero” has enough of a new feeling to not have it be overshadowed by conventional classes, as it has been made as a class suited for protagonists. It’s a all-rounded class that can attack, defend, and even heal.

-In order to make the main class show off its advantages, the Force Boost and Force Break systems are being introduced.”