Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Etrian Odyssey Discussion Thread

I'm going to try and finish up the 3rd stratum in Untold 1 today. My party is close to the 15th floor boss, so i may sidetrack from 7th Dragon to finish off the stratum real quick.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I decided to challenge the dragons. First was the Red Dragon.

He wiped out my whole team on turn one (they were level 60).

Good luck with that. The Dragon Trio are nasty without strong Fire/Ice/Volt protection.

Well, today's the day Etrian Odyssey 5 releases in Japan...

But today also marks another Etrian Odyssey release. One year ago today, we saw Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: The Fafnir Knight reach the U.S. With it we were given a new story mode, an enhanced classic mode with a whopping 15 classes available, the most in the series thus far, and plenty of other changes. I've debated which EO is my favorite, but I always find myself thinking back to 2 and its remake. I've spent 250 hours on my copy of Untold 2 alone, playing through the game with different parties and experiencing one of my favorite labyrinths over and over. The atmosphere of the stratums, the best soundtrack in the series (whether FM synth or arranged), and plenty of party options....this game (remake or original) has it all for me.

So happy birthday Untold 2. I'm looking forward to many more playthroughs in the future.

YEEEEEEEAH BABY, Etrian Odyssey 5's 1st stratum theme is up on YouTube. Many other tracks are as well from the same channel, but I absolutely refuse to listen to anything past the 1st stratum and 1st random battle theme. Spoiling a Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack is a terrible gaming offense.

I'm already liking this game's soundtrack much more than 4's. I consider 4 to have the weakest soundtrack, but that isn't to say it's bad by any means. It has some great songs, I just prefer the other 3 main games' soundtracks. Guess we'll see how my opinion stands once I hear all of 5's soundtrack!

Anyway, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLiGvWycRgz6hGz8ZXnxrjmGH20Q0vVW_c&v=1NNPHh_jmQE

While this isn't news on Etrian 5, this is a very cool video. I like the guess regarding High Lagaard, especially that tidbit on Caledonia. The video has spoilers over Etrian 1, so keep that in mind if you haven't played the first game.

With that said, enjoy!

My birthday gift from my mom finally arrived, and it was well worth the wait! Etrian Mystery Dungeon's official soundtrack and art book, AND Etrian Odyssey V's official soundtrack makes Yangus a happy camper.

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&image=983

So a few months ago I posted q picture here that showed what happened if an American 3DS tagged a Japanese 3DS that had recently played the Etrian Odyssey 5 demo, which revealed a potential English title for the next entry. The game was called "Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Legends."

Lo and behold, in a recent article where various game directors were asked about 2017, the Atlus section dropped the potential English title again! It's all in alphabetical order, so Atlus is close to the top of the list!

http://gematsu.com/2016/12/4gamer-interviews-japanese-creators-2017-ambitions

This makes two times the title of the game has been given before any official word on the game's western release, which is very interesting! Could this mean Atlus USA will announce the official English release soon? Or is this just a case of the English title slipping through the cracks once again?

Whatever it means, this helps somewhat confirm that we are indeed getting Etrian 5! A lot of people seem to think this game will never get an English release, but those people are fools. Ooooooo I hope we hear something next month or in February!

I've never heard a single person doubt it coming.

Then again, my only source is you, twinsie.

I've never heard a single person doubt it coming.

Then again, my only source is you, twinsie.

You would be surprised how many people have $#!&@ed and moaned that we aren't apparently getting the game. To them waiting for 4 months or more means "Atlus USA isn't giving us the game, they are skipping it, blah blah blah," and other such whining nonsense.

People are forgetting how long it took for us to get any confirmation on the U.S. release of Untold 2 and Etrian 4.

• Upvote 1

10 years ago, the original Etrian Odyssey released in Japan. Today marks the 10th anniversary of the series, and it's been a fun ride. I didn't start the series until 2010 with Etrian Odyssey III, but I'm glad I not only found this series, but have been apart of each new release since. This is without a doubt my favorite video game franchise thanks to many elements that combine to create the perfect experience for an RPG. The music, the artstyle, the gameplay, and the creativity all adds together to form an experience I've enjoyed again and again in replays and fresh starts, and will continue to enjoy.

Here's hoping to another decade of dungeon crawling fun.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/18/etrian-odyssey-artist-shares-special-illustration-series-10th-anniversary/

Why stop at 16 when we could go to 17?

17? That's just odd.

17? That's just odd.

It's a real Odyssey. An Etrian Odyssey, if you will...

I just got EO2 U and I'm liking it so far, some of the new classes are pretty cool like beast. I decided that I'm going to play on expert w/ permadeath or at least sort of, basically my characters can be revived in battle but if they're KO'd when the battles over they're dead. It seems pretty damn challenging so far I might run out of character slots before I beat it.

That's an interesting self imposed challenge. Good luck!

Also, Beasts are my favorite class from Etrian 2. They really improved them in the remake, and on one playthrough my Beast (the wolf portrait I named Fergus) was the true MVP of the party.

I'm thinking about dropping the permadeath aspect of it for another playthrough because I simply don't have enough of a grasp on the game to do it. I named my wolf Fir because I'm going with a tree naming scheme, I cheated a bit for the panda(Bamboo).

When you get access to the Cafe and can generate your QR code for your guild, post it here. I'll send you my Untold 2 guild card QR codes then.

Also, I'm always up to helping if you need any skill suggestions or something.

I'm actually making progress in my Classic Untold file! It's a miracle!

I'm at the 20th floor, and I'm gearing up to fight the boss of the 4th stratum tomorrow. So far I've completed all the side quests at the bar to get as much EXP as possible, and with everyone over level 50 I'm feeling confident. Nervous about the boss, but still confident.

I'm thinking I'll re-tool my Landsknecht to a Chaser Landy so he can follow up my Ronin and Alchemist's element attacks. Wouldn't be a bad idea for the upcoming bosses.

I'll try and keep these updates to this thread. Maybe as I talk about this game we'll here something about Etrian 5.....I hope.

• Upvote 1

Oh hey, I can actually use this topic to post about Etrian news!

We're getting an Etrian Mystery Dungeon sequel! The game takes place in a new land with the promise of the "Land of the Gods," being somewhere to the north presumably below the Yggdrasil tree of this new region of the world. The game will include enhancements to the EMD formula, and will include 5 new classes.

Damn. I feel like I should've given the first game more of a chance.

Eh, don't sweat it. I'm sure it will be like other Etrian games where you can jump right in without any experience or knowledge of the last game and can enjoy it on its own. Plus they'll likely make tweaks to the gameplay to improve the experience.

All I want is DOEs to not spawn forever after building a fort in a dungeon until the point the game goes "Looks like no more will appear." Just make it a set number of DOEs per mystery dungeon in the main game.

All I want is DOEs to not spawn forever after building a fort in a dungeon until the point the game goes "Looks like no more will appear." Just make it a set number of DOEs per mystery dungeon in the main game.

Yep. And that's why I quit. They never stopped and never indicated that they would. I should have done what I usually do with Atlus games: wait to play them for a few months after they come out. Then I'll be able to read questions and such.

And wait for you to play it first and lead the way!