Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Etrian Odyssey Discussion Thread

I'm considering buying Untold 1. I've read something about it being a sort of remake/reimagining of the original. Does it do that in a way that renders the original somewhat obsolete, or is it worth trying the original some time as well?

I would recommend you start with Untold 1 if you are curious about the game/series, and if you still feel like trying the original after beating it, then I say go for it.

I'll have to keep that in mind. After seeing this series mentioned so much on these forums, I am curious about it. I had never heard of it before.

Ha, I wonder which of us has mentioned it many times on the boards across the Den...(cough itsastotallymenotgonnadenyit cough)

But same thing for you, Vagrant: if you want to experience the series from the beginning, go with Untold 1, and if you want to try the original after beating it, go for it.

And of course, if either of you needs help in party building or what have you as you play, feel free to post here. I'd be more than happy to help.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Haha yeah it was mostly you wasn't it? Thanks for the offer to help. I'm nearing the end of my DQ/DW Quest (detailed in my signature) so maybe that could be what I play after. Or maybe I'll finally get around to finishing DQ1 soon and I could pick up Untold 1 while I wait for DQ7 to come out. I always like to have a mobile RPG with me.

• Upvote 1

Yup, probably. I try to keep any EO post contained here, but there you go.

The game is usually on sale on the eshop for $10. Physical copies are pretty pricey these days, so a digital copy is a good idea to go with if you have the space on your SD card.

Thanks, that's probably what I'll do, don't have any storage issues, and it's only $10? Nice.

EO4 is usually on sale at the same time (for the same price) so if you enjoy Untold 1 it would be worth checking out 4 as well.

All the games are at least 60 hours, so with any sales you'll get a lot of bang for your buck.

Oh, and in case you're wondering: you can play the games in any order you want. All you'll miss are references.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, Etrian Odyssey doesn't seem to go on sale as often here in Australia. It's always Mystery Case Files and Azada and 4 Elements and Hidden Expedition and Jewel Quest and Real Heroes. Looking at the sales list right now, I'm surprised that that Blackjack game that seems to always be on sale isn't on sale right now; they must have forgotten to refresh it.

Hopefully a sale will roll around soon or you can find a physical copy for a good price.

I'm curious though: is Australia's eshop based on Europe's or America's eshop, or is it an entirely separate approach? Maybe that's a stupid question, but I don't know much about how Nintendo (and games in general) services are handled in Australia.

For the most part, Australia pairs up with Europe for just about everything, although there are occasional exceptions. For instance, we never got the DSi version of Shantae: Risky's Revenge (Europe got it four months after the US), while we get the American names for Kirby games, such as Squeak Squad instead of Mouse Attack. We also got the New 3DS before the rest of the world. But a majority of the time, we're the same as Europe.

Is there any way for me to know when the game goes on sale other than checking the eshop daily?

I downloaded the demo for Untold 1, but haven't played it yet.

Siliconera is usually pretty good about mentioning any eshop sales. Or you could add the games to your wish list and check every Thursday to see if they are on sale.

Fair warning about the demo for Untold 1: you'll only get to try out the beginning of Story mode up to the beginning of the 3rd floor. So of you're wanting the customized party experience, you'll have to wait until you get the full game. At the least though, the demo will get you prepared for how the gameplay and battle system works.

Siliconera is usually pretty good about mentioning any eshop sales. Or you could add the games to your wish list and check every Thursday to see if they are on sale.

Fair warning about the demo for Untold 1: you'll only get to try out the beginning of Story mode up to the beginning of the 3rd floor. So of you're wanting the customized party experience, you'll have to wait until you get the full game. At the least though, the demo will get you prepared for how the gameplay and battle system works.

I'm wondering in general if more people prefer to make their own party or just play the story? You go on and on about party creation and customization, but I thought the point of the Untold games was the exact opposite of that - they were remade to have a set party. Haha, I'd you asked me to list 20 good things about an Untold game, or any Etrian Odyssey game, "customizable party" wouldn't ever be on my list. We both love the series for different reasons!

That is the point of the Untold games, but that doesn't mean Atlus should ignore what the series was ORIGINALLY created for on the first place. They got enough hell for it back when Untold 1 released due to all the locked out content from Classic mode, which is why Untold 2 (outside Fafnir and DLC) shares ALL the content across both modes.

Many fans I've interacted with prefer the custom party building because you have a lot more options and are not forced into using a set party until you can access class alteration in story mdoe, but that's limited in the stats of the base characters.

The Japanese fans don't like the Untold games, while Western fans are more open to them. I like the Story modes fine, but they aren't what got me into the series.

Besides, being forced to use only 5 characters when I could use every class, gather parties, and various others? Yeah, I'll take the latter.

• Upvote 1

I am a fan of customizable parties... that's Why DQ9 is best DQ :P

While I'll disagree with you on DQ9, you my good slime are in the right mind with customized parties. With 9 classes to choose from - some who can fill multiple rolls if you build them right - you'll have fun with the classes.

I'm ambivalent about picking parties. I feel like it's more mental energy than I want to expend on a game, so I tend to read online for a great build and go with that. I'm not much for trial and error.

Boo.

• Upvote 1

It just goes further into detail on stuff we already know, but it's nice to see clean cut artwork of each class "representative" and of the four races.

And a labyrinth that changes shape on the time of day? Coooooooooool beans.

It's also nice to see some more examples of the coloring options.

I'm also happy for the return of one giant labyrinth instead of separate ones. Never really liked the air travel of 4, but didn't hate it either.

Now we just need some artwork of the other class designs. I'm curious what all the male/female portraits for each class look like.

I too preferred 1 big Dungeon. Thought 4 had really small ones. Lots, but small.

For anyone who was interested in Untold 1, it's on sale right now in the eshop for $9.99.

Lookin' at you, SlimeVagrant!

Thanks Yangus! I'll go get it right away

No problem, buddy.

And I can't forget Bururian either. The more the merrier to talk and play Etrian Odyssey. :D

Created my party and I've mapped out the first floor. It feels like 2007 again.

• Upvote 1

What classes did you end up going with?