Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Etrian Odyssey Discussion Thread

Is it the one towards the middle of the floor or he ones on the east/south east?

They only get worse on the 25th floor. There's a real nasty one up there towards the northwest part of the map.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

East. I've only tried twice. Thought I had it and then one respawned. Oh yeah, they're not bombs, but those damn robots. Took many out, then got trapped between the final one and one that respawned.

Made it to the 2nd stratum. The abundance of ailment based attacks in the Primitive Jungle could be hard to deal with, but we'll see if I need to change my party up or not.

Barely got to play yesterday. My dad came over in the evening and stayed the night to help me finish chopping down a tree today. So, I shall make tonight my long play night.

I did however make it through floor 24 and I'm halfway through 25. Annoying, but I didn't have too much of a problem... yet.

Once you get past the bomb puzzles on the 25th floor the rest is pretty easy. Just watch out for the hieroglyphics in the Northern part of the map.

There is an event around it, but make sure you are prepared.

Once you get past the bomb puzzles on the 25th floor the rest is pretty easy. Just watch out for the hieroglyphics in the Northern part of the map.

Oooo! Then maybe I'm around them already!

Oooo! Then maybe I'm around them already!

If you're past the robots and suits of armor in the second bomb room, then you are. From there it's a short maze of dead ends and then a large room, finally leading to the door to the King's Hall (or where the Overlord is).

Oh, and quick tip for the Overlord: save your Force moves until the 2nd phase of the battle.

Yep. I started the maze and zoomed back to save. Wahoo! Through. Thanks for the hint!

Overlord defeated. 3 tries. First time I lost to the 1st form. Learned his moves. 2nd time lost to the 2nd form. Learned his moves. 3rd time was the charm.

Back to Gummy Gap.

2nd form Overlord has been a real headache every time I've faced him. Granted, the Calmacht crew had the fewest attempts (3 I think?) before taking him down, but....well, you saw my rage earlier when I tried defeating him in my first Classic Expert file.

Story party was terribly synced for that fight when I played through last August. I'm not gonna lie, I'm really bad at getting the story mode parties in the Untold games to work together other than basic stuff (Fafnir + Arianna's Link Order).

(I also still can't get over that my original party in EO2 had no trouble beating him despite the odds. Go me, I guess?)

Good luck with floor 5 of Ginnungagap. It's a $#!&@, but you'll find out soon enough.

Yeah, I've got link order almost to 20 and elemental damage up very high. Even Bertrand had link order and elemental damage up. That helps. Multishot at almost level 16 helps and the Frailty Curse grimore I got is a godsend. I used that spell ALL the time in a previous game, like every battle. Can't recall if it was EOIV or Untold.

There are variants of Frailty Curse in all the games. I can't remember right now though if it's a Hexer move in Untold 1/2 or if an enemy has it. Granted, I might be thinking of Corrosive Aura or Frail Aura, but I'm pretty sure Hexers have a Curse variant as one of their early skills.

Problem was I only used Link Order 1 and hardly touched Link Order 2, never used Chloe's physical moves, and kind of said $#!& it to Flavio's abilities since I don't care for Survivalists much. Basically it was all up to Faffy with a Shield Smite/Rush from Bertrand once in a while during bosses. Of course, now I realize how destructive the Story party can be, but I always seem to end up in hard core mode one way or another when playing these games the first time.

Yes, I've kept Link Order 2 as a 10MP skill, so it is incredibly useful as a normal attack in random battles. I end most in 2 turns. And my elemental slashes have stayed under 10MP most of the game until just now when I wanted higher on the Lightning one.

Flavio's dropshot is way overpowered. That, the one that attacks a line and multishot makes him almost a tie for #1 damage dealer.

Oh yeah, the drop shot (or Saggy Shot as I call it) is great for Survivalists.

I've seen just how strong it can be in the original EO, and that version is easily the best rendition of the move. It's still pretty good in 2, Untold 1, and Untold 2, but the damage it could do in the original...is beautiful.

Funny enough it actually stunned in of the post game bosses when I was using the story team in the 6th stratum, and right on the turn the boss was going to use a major attack! Flavio became MVP for that fight.

• Upvote 1

Oh boy, 2nd stratum is as hard as I remembered it. Those darn slime monsters with their poison and sleep attacks...

It's at times like this I need an Alchemist for elements, but after trying that out at first it wasn't really cutting it. Apparently being behind the rest of the party by 13 levels makes a difference, guys.

Maybe I should train my B team up to level 10 on Standard so they can catch up...or maybe I should bring in my Hexer and spam Petrifying Curse like crazy to deal with encounters...

Gah, I don't know.

• Upvote 1

Hey, I won! Took a few tries but I timed killing the arms at the same time, jacked up Link Order II and boom!

Went a bit into the 6th stratum, but mainly spending my time going through the door on the 10th floor and doing all the back room stuff. Never did it, but I have a request to do so now.

Congrats, Platty!

Few questions:

1) What did you think of the 5th floor of Ginnungagap?

2) What did you think of the ending?

1) annoying

2) good. Different from all the other happily ever after endings to games. Does more happen post game?

Yeah, don't you just love the bullspit FOEs that can heal themselves right away after nearly killing them? And the room towards the end where you have to lure one or two into the tentacle FOE in order to get by. Dungeon design at its most annoying.

I'm still mixed on the ending. The many name drops of Armoroad and hints throughout the game (especially the ending post credits) still makes me think Untold 3 will happen at some point. But I'm also not a fan of how - once part 2 of the Core fight kicks in with super Fafnir - the game just abruptly ends once you finish off the boss. The post credit scene is nice though. I might have to go back to the Untold 2 thread and see if I can remember everything I wanted to talk about.

There are party conversations and dish discussions in the 6th stratum, but nothing new story wise. 6th stratum is considered non-canon to the story, so from here on out its more of a what if type of scenario.

I can easily see how it would set up another game, yes. I actually was going to say that, but knowing Etrian Odyssey 3, didn't think there'd be a direct sequel. Then again, with the Untold line of games putting more of a story to the original games, yes they could tie an Untold 3 into Untold 2.

Yeah, that part 2 BS fight was odd and then: THE END.

It was interesting going through the town and hearing 2nd hand about my party.

I have no idea how they'd work in 3's Yggdrasil with how the first two games set up their respective trees/lore of the past. I don't know if 3 states where exactly Yggdrasil came from in the main game, but...well, that's big spoiler territory for the post game story.

Technically Untold 2's story mode is a direct sequel to Untold 1's story mode, and originally there was going to be a lot more connecting the two in the final product of Untold 2. Somewhere along the way things were changed/dropped, which resulted in this being less clear. But thanks to Flavio's dialogue at certain points mentioning the last investigation team - or Arthur, Simon, and Raquna from Untold 1 - you can piece together Untold 2 takes X amount of time after Untold 1 (no idea how long, probably up to player).

The Eldritch Hound DLC quest makes that all too clear as well, since the client is Simon in disguise as a man named Ryne. As soon as you complete it you get a semi-recap of what happened in Etria.

As for Untold 3...well, I'm not sure if this is true or not, but apparently there was "word" in the Untold 1 and 2 Visual Works book that the Highlander and Fafnir would cross paths in Untold 3, hinting at the idea each would take a different side of the conflict that's in EO3. Take that with a grain of salt though, as no one is sure if this is legit or trolling. If it's true, it's gonna be an interesting take on the game.

Personally I see the story mode's as "What If" alternate scenarios since they change the original story and characters. There are some changes I totally like and think help set the modes apart, but some I'm not a fan of, especially, ESPECIALLY, the change in Visil's character in Untold 1 and what the final boss was of Untold 1's story mode. Worst way to shoe horn in the 6th stratum/super boss, and I'm glad they didn't pull that with Untold 2.

Funny thing about Fafnir's artwork with his 2nd and 3rd form: Those two variants of his Fafnir state don't have full body artwork, and cut off at the waist. His standard and 1st Fafnir variant have full body artwork, but the other two get cut off just before the legs.

I'm considering buying Untold 1. I've read something about it being a sort of remake/reimagining of the original. Does it do that in a way that renders the original somewhat obsolete, or is it worth trying the original some time as well?

I'm considering buying Untold 1. I've read something about it being a sort of remake/reimagining of the original. Does it do that in a way that renders the original somewhat obsolete, or is it worth trying the original some time as well?

Depends. The original has so few of the options I'm now used to after playing 7 games in the series/spinoff. But, the original is on the cart with Untold 1, so you'd have that option!

Etrian Odyssey Untold (1): The Millennium Girl is a remake of the original Etrian Odyssey, and features two gameplay modes - Classic mode, where you can experience the original game with updated features in map making, class balance, etc.; and Story Mode, an altered take on the original game with a pre-determined party of five characters.

With Untold 1, you're getting two games in one, both being different takes on the same story and gameplay. Classic mode is how the series is meant to be played by creating your own party from the various classes, while Story mode is a new way to experience the game, but holds back the player if you would rather form your own party.

Depending on how you look at it, the original is worth playing as well. The biggest difference between the original and remake is that there are more options available to the player in Untold 1. This includes many more icons for mapping, left and right strafing with L and R (the original is the only game in the series without this), class rebalancing, and the new Grimoire system.

The remake also offers a new area to explore via Gladshiem, and two extra classes not present in the original game - Highlander and Gunner. To experience these, you will have to start with Story mode, but thanks to New Game+ you can carry over the two classes to Classic mode or change one of your characters into that job.

To give you a first hand answer on your question, I played the original Etrian Odyssey about a year after I beat Untold 1. It was a different experience to be sure, but I enjoyed playing through the original as much as playing through its remake. It was a "simple," game due to lack of map icons and no strafing via L and R, but I never felt like they ruined my experience.

I would recommend you start with Untold 1 if you are curious about the game/series, and if you still feel like trying the original after beating it, then I say go for it.

I would recommend you start with Untold 1 if you are curious about the game/series, and if you still feel like trying the original after beating it, then I say go for it.

I'll have to keep that in mind. After seeing this series mentioned so much on these forums, I am curious about it. I had never heard of it before.