Are Faqs CheatingAre FAQs/Guides cheating?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys this question been asked at other forums but I could not find it asked here.

Do you consider it cheating using a FAQ to play Dragon quest games ( Specifically older games?)

Different play style? Getting the most out of your game? Hand holding? Efficient way to play the game? Ruins the fun? You'd be a fool not to? Lose that sense of discovery?

What are your thoughts/arguments for or against? I've included a poll.

Personally right now I'm split.

I've played many a games blind and there's a ton of fun in that and figure stuff out yourself definitely gives a sense of accomplishment. However Mini medal and collectables and any missables are definitely a pain to get. Especially since I don't tend to play multiple playthroughs right away ( I love story and have some many other great games to play)

Can't wait to see what you guys have to say

I'm 100% into using them.  I love guide books & FAQs for all games.  I'll try to go my own way as much as possible, but with my fractured gaming time & bad memory for the little things (ok, let's be honest AND for the big things), I'm 100% in favor of huge guides and FAQs galore!

Here's Google's definition of cheating:

act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination

I'm being 100% honest, I use them.  Guess that's not cheating.

Unfairly?  It's not like I'm searching the Dark Web, all of this stuff is available for sale or online.

Then again, I don't play any online games.  I'm always playing against the AI, so my cheating definition is relative to that.

Good luck playing Dragon Quest VI without a FAQ. :tounge2:

Only way I got through VI. I don't consider them cheating. I think of it more as like save scumming: technically not cheating, but you feel slightly dirty afterwards but you really don't care.

I don't consider it cheating if you reference one when you're stuck or if you're looking ahead for missables. It's better to play blind your first way through, though, which is unfortunate because the internet spoiled all of the Erdrick trilogy for me before I played any of the games all the way through.

It would be cheating if you looked at the guide for every little step of the game and never figured any of it out for yourself.

I'll use it for side quest stuff if you need to collect a bunch of stuff and I have no idea where to find a specific item and the game doesn't nudge you in any direction. For story stuff I'll rarely do it unless a boss is absolutely blasting me, so I'll at least look up a level req for him.

I use FAQs if I get stuck and for the life of me can't figure out what to do, so I don't consider it cheating if that's the case.

I try not to use them too much, and it's almost rewarding finding yourself overleveled from random encounters after wandering around looking for the next objective.

Sometimes it's unavoidable though. I remember my first playthrough of Dragon Quest V, I wasn't very clear on where to go once Gen3 Started. I did a few side things like getting the Helmet and Hocus Pocus, found Bjorn got destroyed and figured that probably wasn't what I was supposed to do yet. I found the cave where I was supposed to go, but I didn't think to go past the huge door that you can't enter yet. (the one where you use the three rings)  >.<

Still not wanting to look at a FAQ, I decided that Bjorn was the only thing I could do at this point. It took me several hour-long attempts, when I finally beat him the fight had lasted roughly an hour and a half :whoa:  (I would get low on resources, go for hocus pocus, and reset the battle...TWICE in the same fight.)

Afterwords I still didn't know what to do so I finally caved and looked at an FAQ to see that I skipped quite a few areas, I thought it was weird that I got the Ultimate key before the magic key.

Good times... :laugh: