Sign in to follow this  
gamerdude27

Dragon Warrior?Quest 3 GBC. Change Soldier to Sage?

Hey guys,

Finally getting down to finishing this game once and for all. I got it on launch when I was kid but got distracted by life and growing up and stuff.

Now I finally got to Dharma but I'm facing a bit more of a conundrum that I anticipated.

Who should be my second sage?

I'm actually considering my Soldier for the single reason I'd have one male sage and one female sage.

I know its recommended for cleric/pilgrim or a mage/wizard but for purely cosmetic reason I'd like to have two different sprites.

My Cleric is female so it be the same sprite twice. Call me crazy but I like individual sprite.

Also Sorry if this has been ask but I've never seen anywhere some one say soldier into sage. It always seems to be fighter/mage/cleric.

I'm also considering changing my Cleric into a soldier.

Let me know if I'm crazy!

My current team is HeroM 19, SoldierM 19, ClericF 19, SageF 4 ( formerly a jester...that FINALLY paid off)

;) Soldier to Sage is an interesting idea (Fighter to Sage might be better for the greater Speed it would provide). I would usually change my magic users into Sages OR switch their classes back and forth a couple of times. Soilder to Fighter and back is another idea I toyed around with.

;) Soldier to Sage is an interesting idea (Fighter to Sage might be better for the greater Speed it would provide). I would usually change my magic users into Sages OR switch their classes back and forth a couple of times. Soilder to Fighter and back is another idea I toyed around with.

It's all about Thief->Sage.

;) I suppose for Gameboy Color and SNES yeah, I was thinking more on terms of the NES version myself.

It's all about that bass.

Arguably, you might not need a second Sage. I played through the game again recently and a second healer wasn't really needed. The only real boss fight you need a second healer for is the final boss and you get the Sage Stone which takes care of that then. You might just want to get a Fighter since they're the highest damage dealing class against bosses in my opinion towards the end. If you're going to get a Fighter though I suggest starting off the character as a female Thief and then class changing them later on into a Fighter. The optimal party for the main story in my opinion is Hero, Female Thief--->Fighter, Cleric--->Sage and Mage into a Fighter. Mage is needed early on for some enemies whom take low damage from physicals and because Increase is way too good the whole game to not have. Beyond that though, the mage doesn't have much MP to cast spells while traveling through dungeons until the later half of the game. By the time you get to that point though, you'll likely have your Cleric as a Sage and the Sage can do attack spells when needed too. Attack spells also fall behind against late game bosses and physical attacks prevail. For a Fighter try to get a personality like Hyper which gives big boosts to Agility. The reason for female Fighter is females can get the Magic Bikini armor which is one of the best armors in the game and a female Fighter can equip it. It not only has quite good physical defense, but lowers damage from magic attacks. Furthermore, the only armor you can get for female Fighters that is better than the Magic Bikini is from Pachisi Tracks. The Magic Bikini is a lot easier to get compared to having to mess around with Pachisi tracks. Male fighters cannot get the Magic Bikini and cannot get any better armor in terms of defense than the Magic Bikini from the Pachisi tracks. If you do have the patience to do the Pachisi tracks you can get a Light Dress for a Female fighter which has 92 physical defense as opposed to the 65 from the Magic Bikini, but does not help further reduce damage from magic attacks.

Edited by Roger Bacon

Thanks for the info.

I am leaning towards changing my warrior simply because I'd be interested to see the higher then normal str stat and hp sage. Again I'd like to do use the zen book so I'd rather try two sages and see what that gives me. My jester sage is pretty kick ass right now.

Will my Warrior/Sage lack mp?

With the sacred bikini info I think for sure I'll change my cleric to warrior in order to have a powerful warrior/ that can heal a bit.

;) I don't think Magic using classes like Mage/Wizard and Cleric/Pilgrim changing to Warrior based classes will gain MP upon level up if I remember right, they might but it might be minimal.

So what level would you recommended for class change?  I was waiting till 31 for Heallus/heal all. I might change my warrior to fighter since it helps his speed? I'm about the get the last orb at Gondo cave

Hero M 26 ( Valiant)

Warrior M 25 (fearless)

Cleric F 25 (sexy)

Sage F 20 (sexy)

;) I don't think Magic using classes like Mage/Wizard and Cleric/Pilgrim changing to Warrior based classes will gain MP upon level up if I remember right, they might but it might be minimal.

MP gain is based on the amount of Int/Wis (whatever it's called in that game) gained at your level ups, so since they don't gain MP, they won't gain more.  Unless you make timely use of seeds, then I believe they'll gain MP from that.

;) Oh ok, so that's how it works. What I would probably do is get all character's spells and then consider changing classes (The extra stats will prove to be worth the investment) which would be around the mid 40s point. Also I don't think this trick is in the SNES or GBC version but I found an interesting little exploit in the NES version. King Tortragons have that annoying habit casting Bounce on themselves, if one of your magic users is in need of a quick MP pick me up, have them use RobMagic on the Bounced King Tortragon and odds are you'll regain a sizable chunk of MP. (sometimes this trick doesn't work so it is still slightly luck based, not as luck based as chance though) But since you are playing the Gameboy Color version, this trick won't work (as I imagine the programmers removed it)

(ugh it didn't save what I typed)

I tried a test run. I changed my soldier into a sage and my cleric into a soldier. It did not feel right.

I felt the warrior mp was too low and not worth the change. Also her MP felt like it was stunted. 71 is decent but why would I really need a 3rd healer? ( my cleric was ordinary most of the levels so really nothing extraordinary stat wise)

I also felt the new warrior sage was quite strong. He sure as hell could hit hard but he felt squishy. And his Mp growth was abysmal. ( like sure he had decent attack but like maybe 30 mp ish at level 10)

I only leveled them to about 10-13. Didn't feel like such a great idea.

So I did a new test run/field save with a fighter ( instead of my soldier) and sage ( instead of cleric)

Much better. Sucks that I have the same sprite twice ( twins basil twins!) but the stats don't lie.

Fighter has poor equipment though ( golden claw, Ninja, Black hat).

I'm about to fight Baramos. I'm going to level the fighter to 20 and change back to warrior probably.

Getting them to 20 gets them good speed stats right? I'm not wasting time am I?

;) Sounds like a pretty good idea, (Were it me I'd go a little higher, but that's just my style) also, the Fighter has a far greater chance of scoring a critical hit compared to other classes. If you want an even greater speed boost, equip your fighter/warrior with the Meteorite Armband which can be found in Isis Castle (Not surprised if this was changed in the mobile translation for obvious reasons.

Yeah its called the Starry bracelet.

SO far the fighter is BOSS but his attack is not reaching the damage my soldier was. So far its Hero 29, Fighter 18, Sage 18, Sage 25.

The sages are the best. Just perfect. I can't see myself losing. Plus as previously mention there the bikinis which will change the sprites so it won't feel like twins for long.

The hero is pretty boss with the valiant personality. Really great attack.

I might just keep him a fighter for Baramos. Not 100% sure yet.

I beat the game without using a sage, but I spread my spells around everyone by multi-classing everyone by priest so they could learn the heal spells. It was quite helpful come end game.

Yeah maybe on my next playthrough but I'm trying to get it done soonish so I can go back and finish DQIX. I'm at the last boss or pretty much near it in that game and I CANNOT RESET it since I will lose all those guest characters.  I took way too long of a break from it and forgot a lot of the story. But I think there's a feature in that game to read/catch up.

Also Playing DQ swords. My wrist hates me.

And Playing DQ heroes (super long subtitle) on ps4.

Yeah December is pretty much my Dragon quest month.

But healing for all would be great but so far its never been an issue. But I cannot restate how awesome having two sages has been. Spells and decent def? What else could you ask for?

On the mobile version, I'm at Zoma with a team in the low to high 40s.  My hero, a Thief, and two Sages.  I'm thinking about class changing one of the Sages to a Soldier/Warrior, for extra physical damage dealing.  I think if I use the ball of light (if I remember correctly) I should be able to beat Zoma with these levels.  But when it comes to the bonus dungeon, I'm going to need more attack power.

;) Mid 40s to early 50s is more than enough to take on Zoma, provided of course you use the Ball of Light (I've been able to beat the game without changing classes at all on all versions) but yeah you're gonna need to do some class changing and serious level grinding to stand a chance in the bonus dungeon.

So what level would you recommended for class change?  I was waiting till 31 for Heallus/heal all. I might change my warrior to fighter since it helps his speed? I'm about the get the last orb at Gondo cave

Hero M 26 ( Valiant)

Warrior M 25 (fearless)

Cleric F 25 (sexy)

Sage F 20 (sexy)

I would suggest class changing around 20. Other people will disagree, but I recently played through the game again and changing my Thief and Cleric into different classes at 20 they were ahead of everyone in terms of stats by far. Class changing even at the minimum level of 20 makes a huge difference.

Edited by Roger Bacon

;) I usually consider class changing at low 40s which is around the time magic users have all their spells. Overkill, yeah but I feel it'd be worth it. Doing such earlier works well too if you not wanting to wait so long. I imagine the stat boosts between class changing at early 20s doesn't make as much difference compared to doing such at low 40s? (I figured it would myself)

Ok so Baramos kicked my ass. I don't know if changing my fighter now would be a good idea or not.

Hero 30, Fighter 20, Sage 19, Sage 26.

Definitely thought I was over prepared with my Hero being 30. I got cocky. My mistake.

I feel like the fighter has no good equipment but with the meteorite/starry bracelet it says he has the highest def? What going's on here?

going to grind for a while longer I guess. Maybe 3-5 levels should do.

;) Yeah Baramos is probably one of the more harder bosses in RPGs, his spells hit hard and he likes to attack twice every round, though going from a video I saw the other day, he apparently can be put to sleep (Go figure) I'd say maybe another 10 levels just to be safe this way you have more magic to pick from and higher stats. 

Edited by Slime Master

Your partymates are a little low. If you can get them up 5-8 levels, I bet you'd have an easier time.

Best place to train is.. whereever doesn' tkill you :)

;) Baramos's Castle isn't bad since enemies give consistantly higher amounts of EXP and Metal Babbles appear from time to time. There IS a place where Eight Metal Slimes will appear though, your fighter will prove invaluable here since again The Fighter class has a much higher Critical Hit rate than other classes.