Matt's Rants - Censorship

8 minutes ago, Brother Jaybird said:

Wait, we have one of those? I don't want to miss next year's!

We hold it on February 29th... but only on odd years

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SJW isn't Single Japanese Woman?   Mortamor & Fur would get a laugh out of this topic.

If people don't like all censored localizations or just certain kinds of censored content for whatever personal reasons ie artistic integrity, is there a reason certain people insist on telling them h

I was actually thinking about that Eal, but thanks for clarifying that you are just as bad as those people you despise. Up, up and away you go!   The key difference however, is that anti-censorship

18 minutes ago, eal said:

I’ll never forget all those randos that joined the Den just to debate with us about it, and then they disappeared shortly after. Like, how did they even find out about it? 

I’ve wondered that for the past few years. They all just showed up out of nowhere!

This is something that's been on my mind lately. It's a part of larger conversation about what's been happening in the creative fields I work in.

The rerelease of Persona 5 rewrote a scene where a couple of gay men were creeping on your characters. There was a lot of outrage over this scene in the usual corners. Really didn't see the need for it, because I'm an adult and I understand that one character is not representative of an entire gender or sexuality as a whole. This lead to a lot of localization staff openly discussing puffing up their role in the process, altering the text to suit their worldview, and even chastising developers. There are all sorts of stories with all sorts of characters. The job of a localization staff is to represent the art by helping tell that story, not tell their story. This has been the case in manga and it reminds me of how things were censored in the 90s by the far right.

Something that's become quite prevalent lately has been the introduction of "sensitivity readers." This goes beyond an editor. A good editor will see the rough patches in a story and will give suggestions in the writer's best interests. A sensitivity reader has no investment in the writer's success. They're coming in as a third party moral authority and edit out what they deem to be problematic. Which is usually an ever changing list that ranges from anything to everything. To them, you're already bad and you need their consulting. Some people's works get stripped of their characters and conflicts. Some people cancel their work all together out of fear.

I hate seeing this. It makes for bland characters and stories where everyone's friends and nothing happens. Artists and writers can have a difficult time getting paid what they're worth as it is. These people don't serve the story. They serve themselves. They play on good intentions and take a good chunk of the budget. Many of them are failed writers who found a way of being in the industry without being in the industry. Be it a bad teacher shaming a student, or a Twitter pile on for something ridiculous, it makes me sad to see the joy of the creative process ruined for folks.

Edited by Dwaine
  • Upvote 2

Oh definitely. There was a time where we had the occasional troll that posted every 3 seconds and argued with you all the time.

1 hour ago, eal said:

Oh definitely. There was a time where we had the occasional troll that posted every 3 seconds and argued with you all the time.

I had to deal with a troll here 4 or 5 years ago.

But with a name like Devilspree, I should've probably realized he was going to be a troll

• Like 1
On 9/20/2020 at 9:09 PM, Dwaine said:

This lead to a lot of localization staff openly discussing puffing up their role in the process, altering the text to suit their worldview, and even chastising developers.

One of the best descriptions of modern localization I heard was the admittedly crass metaphor that it was like importing foreign liqueur, only the importer peed in every bottle.

Another harmful side-effect of all this is that it encourages piracy, because it's increasingly the only way to get to the original content.