Sign in to follow this  
muddy120

Will Dragon Quest ever end?

I know that many of you probably believe that this is just some lofty goal, a dream that is just that, nothing but a dream, but I honestly do see myself, whether permitted or not, hand picked or not, carrying on the Monster series.  You see, I am not just a DQM fan, but I am also going to be studying game design/game programming in college, when i get through my Gen. Ed. courses. I don't want anyone to think i'm conceded or full of my self when saying this, but I really do believe that I can make a GREAT DQM game. I already have the ideas/plot/characters worked out for the first game i want to make for the series, and now its really all about getting that knowledge and know how to make it all happen. Whether i get it done one day officially, through S.E., or as an unofficial fan made game, I promise to make sure that the joy this series gives me, continues to give it to all you other loyal fans.

I already know most of you have doubted me halfway through reading this post, and thats both Ok and understandable. But I wont give up on my dream, we will just have to wait and find out. 

• Upvote 3

To me, the Quester's Rest theme reminds me of Disney's "It's a Small World After All" and both that and Stella's BR theme sound pretty contrasting with the classical/medieval fantasy feeling of the series.  I do really like how DQH encompasses all the battle themes from the earlier games, though, and seemingly randomly picks one for (or ties a different DQ battle theme to) each stage.

Super Light also has two electric guitar-based battle themes (for boss battles and tournament fights), but I like the way they did it.  It's something that I haven't heard in a DQ game before, but it works.  It's basically guitars playing what you could imagine hearing as a Koichi Sugiyama classical piece.

But basically, the sound of the series will change once Sugiyama is gone.  It's kinda the same as when John Williams either passes away or decides he's done scoring new Star Wars films.  It's not to say it will be worse or better, but it'll be different.

And I just love the catchiness of the Quester's Rest theme, it's like yeah, make a party, do some multi-player, alchemize your heart out, hang out with fellow Inn denizens.

It's still plenty DQ feeling in its own right, just another "happy" theme.

It encompassed the adventure, the excitement, the questing for me.

But yes, it won't sound the same.

Sugiyama is bar none my favorite composer and has been since Dragon Warrior 1.

He's 84 and I'll miss him when he's gone.

DQXI will probably be the last one he composes, and I'll cherish it.

Comments like this make me a bit sad, but people can't be around forever:

Series composer Koichi Sugiyama will be working on the music for Dragon Quest XI. He appeared as a special guest and talked about how he was instructed by series creator Yuji Horii to work on it with the mood of the very first Dragon Quest game, as it will be the start of something new. Sugiyama, who turned 84-years-old this year, said he will do his best to work on the title, and will give it his all as long as he's still alive.

Edited by Tiael
  • Upvote 2

Series composer Koichi Sugiyama will be working on the music for Dragon Quest XI. He appeared as a special guest and talked about how he was instructed by series creator Yuji Horii to work on it with the mood of the very first Dragon Quest game, as it will be the start of something new. Sugiyama, who turned 84-years-old this year, said he will do his best to work on the title, and will give it his all as long as he's still alive.

Haha.  Wow, that's a pretty morbid thing for him to say.

I thought his work in X was just "okay." I think IX has a great soundtrack despite my qualms with that particular entry in the series.

Haha.  Wow, that's a pretty morbid thing for him to say.

Probably just coming to the realization that he's getting up there in years and won't always be around.

It may be morbid, but it's the truth.

Keep in mind it was also less than 3 weeks after Satoru Iwata's passing at the time of DQXI's announcement so that was probably in his head with Iwata being a big DQ fan too.

I thought his work in X was just "okay." I think IX has a great soundtrack despite my qualms with that particular entry in the series.

Leave my DQIX alone! :P

I personally love it myself, top 5 DQ.

God knows I wouldn't want to live much longer than 84.

Well you have the exact opposite feelings than I do, Tiael. It's the only DQ game I've played where I don't like it at all (save for the music).

Well you have the exact opposite feelings than I do, Tiael. It's the only DQ game I've played where I don't like it at all (save for the music).

You shut yer trap!

This calls for a beatdown.

And you're Groosin' for a bruisin'!

http://45.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdpnhatY7z1roi1a1o1_500.gif

I jest, I can see why someone may not like it.

Edited by Tiael

I know that many of you probably believe that this is just some lofty goal, a dream that is just that, nothing but a dream, but I honestly do see myself, whether permitted or not, hand picked or not, carrying on the Monster series.  You see, I am not just a DQM fan, but I am also going to be studying game design/game programming in college, when i get through my Gen. Ed. courses. I don't want anyone to think i'm conceded or full of my self when saying this, but I really do believe that I can make a GREAT DQM game. I already have the ideas/plot/characters worked out for the first game i want to make for the series, and now its really all about getting that knowledge and know how to make it all happen. Whether i get it done one day officially, through S.E., or as an unofficial fan made game, I promise to make sure that the joy this series gives me, continues to give it to all you other loyal fans.

I already know most of you have doubted me halfway through reading this post, and thats both Ok and understandable. But I wont give up on my dream, we will just have to wait and find out. 

Halfway through I found myself rooting for you 100%!  Do it!

Huh. I thought DQIX's soundtrack was "okay", but I absolutely love DQX's music! Although, I think DQX's music kind of needs the game going along with it, something exciting to imprint the music in your brain, before you can get that feeling of awe listening to it. I can see why some people who haven't played the game themselves don't like the music as much as his other work. Especially if they've only heard the Wii version's old synthesized music, which isn't nearly as amazing as the symphonic versions.

I'm not going to say DQIX is bad, but it's definitely not up to par with the other Dragon Quest games. It's like a gimped up prototype of DQX (which, in reality, it is). I was planning on getting back to it *someday*, but now that it's impossible to legitimately do all the content (because DS Internet services have been shut down, forcing you to cheat the DLC stuff in if you don't already have it), I don't see myself going back to it for the foreseeable future. Maybe if there's a remake, or if someone sets up a custom DQVC server.

That "imprint" comment applies to pretty much any game soundtrack, especially RPGs. The difference is that with the other DQ soundtracks (many I heard before playing the games) I fully enjoyed them. With X's soundtrack (and this is going off of the Tokyo Metroploitan orchestration, NOT the synth) the music was good, but it didn't give me that same feeling the others have. The battle theme and boss theme are very good, as are the themes for each race, but the rest is "okay."

It sounds too movie esque in my opinion, which does fit in the large scale of the world of X with it being an MMO and all, but it's not one I would listen too all the time like with the others. It's still good, it's just low on my list.

(Side note: I've heard/seen where each song fits into X, and they do match and I can understand the feeling each is meant to evoke. It's a solid soundtrack that sets the mood everywhere you go.)

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Thank you so much Plattym3. That support is what makes me believe it is possible! Im going to start working on something soon, probably utilizing RPG maker as it would be a good place to start. I cant wait!

DQIX was an... interesting title.

I didn't like it for a few reasons, mainly because they didn't give your character or your party any real story growth. Sure, things happen to the Celestrian, but I would've loved to see premade party characters beyond the post-game that had any storyline.

That and the on-cart locked DLC. =_=

I think the music has largely been very good throughout the series, with a few individual songs I don't particularly care for.  Questers Rest from IX is a major earworm, but I don't particularly like it (it's fine that some do like it, I'm just not one of them).  A few from DQ7 stick out in my mind as well as being kind of weak, but again, personal opinion.

One things I've definitely realized more recently, however, is that the actual orchestrated symphonic music is beautifully choreographed... often times it only loses something as a result of being synthesized, particularly on the older systems.  Listening to the symphonic versions of the music from the early titles (which I frequently do while on planes) has definitely given me a new found appreciation for how enjoyable a lot of the music really is.

On my trip to Hawaii, I listened to Over the Horizon every time we took off in a plane.

• Upvote 1