Will Dragon Quest ever end?

Will it end when Yuji Horii dies or no? Or when do you see it ending if at all. Post your thoughts.

Fixed that for you.

• Upvote 1

I don't think so, I think there are other artists who can imitate his art, maybe they may not get it 100% but will get it very close ... maybe 98%? The series is way too successful to just hang it up. Look at Final Fantasy, we are on 15 and not to mention the many spin-offs

It depends on if Horii wants it to continue.

Also Sugiyama is the oldest of them and will likely pass first, and it'll be a sad day since DQ music has been my favorite.

• Upvote 1

Will it end when Yuji Horii dies or no? Or when do you see it ending if at all. Post your thoughts.

Fixed that for you.

Lol no, I know when Horri dies the franchise will survive because you don't need the series creator to make the story, just look at Pokemon and other franchises I'm just more concerned about the main artist for a series like this passing one day, will the franchise still be able to go on.

I don't think so, I think there are other artists who can imitate his art, maybe they may not get it 100% but will get it very close ... maybe 98%? The series is way too successful to just hang it up. Look at Final Fantasy, we are on 15 and not to mention the many spin-offs

Final Fantasy's art isn't as specific as toriyama's so it naturally seems like FF will last longer overall, specially since Sakaguchi long left the company in terms of story work.

Edited by muddy120

Pretty sure Toriyama has taught others to draw in his style. Hell Dwaine has discussed that somewhere before. So I don't think that should be a problem unless Horii himself stopped it.

Do they make money off it? Then no, it won't end.

This.  I don't think it will ever end, even if one or all of the holy trinity pass away.  Could it die in the West?  Maybe.  It almost did; twice.

• Upvote 1

Alright, I'll bite and answer the topic:

The main series should die/end when Horii passes or decides to stop it.

The spin offs could keep going, but honestly I feel they should end as well unless Horii gives his approval for stuff like Monsters to go on.

Alright, I'll bite and answer the topic:

The main series should die/end when Horii passes or decides to stop it.

The spin offs could keep going, but honestly I feel they should end as well unless Horii gives his approval for stuff like Monsters to go on.

That kind of statement reminds me of the whole debate when Herge maker of The Adventures of Tintin died, they said no more Tintin stories, while many made parodies and some stories -- others have written many fanfictions which the Herge Foundation are really upset about. That's another issue...I'm sure Horii wouldn't mind--but the other case could be possible.

I'm pretty sure Hori, Tori, and Sugi all have hand-picked successors should they pass on.

I'm under the impression that Toriyama doesn't have much to do with the series anymore. His company, Bird Studio, does, but from what I understand, it's mostly his understudies doing the work. He just designs the main/important characters anymore. His own artwork isn't even shown on game cases or in the manuals anymore.

I also think Sugiyama is preparing for his leave from the series - whether he intends to quit, or just realizes he's getting on in age. There's less evidence to support this, but what we do know is that A) The last 3 main series games have progressively recycled more and more music from older games in the series, where Sugiyama used to compose all-new soundtracks for each game, only reusing the overture and intermezzo themes (the exceptions being the land of Alefgard in DQ2 and DQ3 using music from DQ1, but that made sense, and for whatever reason, the slot machine "Reach" music in DQ7 was the same as DQ6, possibly an oversighted placeholder, or left for time restrictions). Even the Monsters spin offs are seeing more recycling than they used to - Joker 2 only has ONE unique track, the theme for Treepidation. And there's B) I don't know the exact reason why, but all the music in Dragon Quest Swords (Wii) that wasn't recycled from older games was composed by someone else - Manami Matsumae (hopefully I spelled that right). This could be evidence that Sugiyama is looking for a successor.

Unfortunately, of the big three, I know the least about the series creator, Yuji Horii. I really should do some research.

• Upvote 1

I see the series as whole continuing for quite a while.

After the original writers and such (( Horii, Sugiyama )) do pass on like humans do, others will continue their work. They already have artists that imitate Toriyama quite well, as well.

Dragon Quest is one of the most popular brands in Japan. It will continue for quite some time.

I see the series as whole continuing for quite a while.

After the original writers and such (( Horii, Sugiyama )) do pass on like humans do, others will continue their work. They already have artists that imitate Toriyama quite well, as well.

Dragon Quest is one of the most popular brands in Japan. It will continue for quite some time.

If Horii wants it to continue on, considering it's pretty much his series.

Granted, I do see him picking a successor, but nonetheless.

Edited by Tiael

I'm so glad the Japanese live long lives!

if any of them pass away they should have successors and plenty of ideas left behind. I think dragon quest will continue for decades, I'm not too worried

I doubt it.  It will change, definitely.  Maybe they'll drop or reboot the number system at some point, or create a spin-off series, but I don't see the series dropping off as a whole.

The main thing that will make the games feel less DQ-familiar for me is when Koichi Sugiyama passes away.  He's done so much for the series to set the tone that I feel like his death will be very noticeable, stylistically, for games released after he's gone.  Then again, he's also written some pretty bad tracks recently, (DQIX's Stella's Battle Records theme, the Quester's Rest theme (which somehow also made it into DQH) and then the Alltrades Abbey theme was just a half-assed attempt to play the DQ theme in double-time) and he's been working with a writing partner (and likely successor) for years now, so perhaps it's already beginning to change.

I love the Quester's Rest theme, always find myself humming it.

To me, the Quester's Rest theme reminds me of Disney's "It's a Small World After All" and both that and Stella's BR theme sound pretty contrasting with the classical/medieval fantasy feeling of the series.  I do really like how DQH encompasses all the battle themes from the earlier games, though, and seemingly randomly picks one for (or ties a different DQ battle theme to) each stage.

Super Light also has two electric guitar-based battle themes (for boss battles and tournament fights), but I like the way they did it.  It's something that I haven't heard in a DQ game before, but it works.  It's basically guitars playing what you could imagine hearing as a Koichi Sugiyama classical piece.

But basically, the sound of the series will change once Sugiyama is gone.  It's kinda the same as when John Williams either passes away or decides he's done scoring new Star Wars films.  It's not to say it will be worse or better, but it'll be different.

Edited by Liamland