Sign in to follow this  
ignasia

Musings on a potential line of videos to promote DQ.

So I have zero video editing experience, and currently little time, but for right now I wanted to get this down on paper before I forget it (or the internet =p).

So my idea is to create a video campaign that does this:

1) Pick one recent FF title...about 5 seconds in, the screen has problems...it starts going grey, then cuts like a film reel being burnt, then cut.  Then reset it at the end, where the Final Fantasy logo appears, only as the music starts, it cuts off, like that ripping sound when a record is pulled after the arm is pulled across the face of the record.  Then it goes silent, and a shadow of Orgodemir can be seen, and the DQ7 logo falls on top of the FF logo, and an invisible hand is seen to crush it, and smash it into the FF logo.  Then the DQ music plays, and it cuts.  About 30 seconds long.  I think it's best to start with FF7's remake teaser trailer.

2) Pick an FF 15 trailer, do roughly the same thing.  Only insert Gabo for the Prince...if possible.  Or maybe find a video of DQ7 3DS where the position of Arus or Gabo is at the same spot as the Prince, on the screen in FF15.  Then make a strange but quick transition, as one moves, and the other moves, in the same direction.  Then cut to FF15's logo, crush it with DQ7's logo, with the shadow of Orgodemir.

3) Next video should showcase several FF games, all starting, then being transitioned to DQ7, then the logo of that FF shows up, and is again crushed by DQ7's logo.  Each FF sequence is 5~7seconds of a 30s track.

4) Next video, show the map of FF7's world...start showing some video of FF7 in action, from the original, or one of the HD remasters of the original game.  Then fade to grey, switch to DQ7, go back to the map, and suddenly a map of Estard falls on top of it.  Replacing it.  FF7's logo is above the map, and is present for the period of time after DQ7's map, with JUST Estard finally settles in.  Then rather than DQ7's logo falling, FF7's logo now morphs into DQ7's logo.  About 20~30 seconds.

5) Next video...a sequence where Cloud is about to attack something in FF7, in the HD remasters.  Only it suddenly fades to grey, and a DQ7 monster appears on top of the FF7 monster, in full colour, and does an animation.  Suddenly disappears, and it cuts to Tifa making a face, then it shows Cloud dieing.  About 15 seconds.

6) Next video, Earthbound.  It shows the original trailer of Giygas taking over at the start of Mother 2, only a claw rips through the name Gygas, and the letters O, then R, then G, then...until Orgodemir is spelled out, and underneath it, in blood red...it burns in "COMETH".  Then it fades back to Earthbound...only at the end, it starts to fade to grey, and suddenly it's Earthbound's logo on top of DQ7 3DS gameplay...then that is slowly reworked to DQ's logo.

7) Zelda is next...I guess a Link between worlds, only Link attempts to attack Gannon, and it fades to greyscale, and on to of Gannon, a Drakulard appears.  Attacks, and It cuts, and Link is seen on the ground, but not in ALBW.  No, he suddenly finds himself in Wind Waker, with the sword master overhead, telling him to pay attention...only it's not, as now this world is fading to greyscale, and bam, a Rainhawk appears, and takes a swipe.  Cut to Link awakening in A Link to the Past, at the very start, in his bed.  It cuts to him going up to meet Agahnim, and after making the killing stroke, the world goes greyscale again...this time, a blackened Orgodemir appears, and the world goes black...Link awakens to see one of the many repeated bad endings of Majora's Mask, where the Moon Falls...then it cuts to grey the moment it happens, and there's the shadow of Orgodemir again.  This time it shows a timeline of Zelda games.  Each Zelda game title is retitled Dragon Quest VII.  Should be about 5 minutes?

8) A kid wakes up in his bed.  Looks out a window, and it's raining, but can hear screams.  It cuts to some parents, watching the news of a torrential downpour.  Then cuts to a newslady in the middle of a storm.  Guess what, it freezes momentarily, and the world goes silent, as everyone is turned to stone, in the damn real world.  The shadow of the rainmaker is seen.  Then the symbol for the news station morphs into Dragon Quest VII, then News appears, in cold grey colours.

9) A video of a war room, and generals are angry and debating (probably something of this somewhere on youtube, or one of the various video share sites) on how to proceed.  First it starts with the US.  Then it cuts to other countries.  Then it shows everything going grey, and a picture of an earthquake, then volcanic eruptions...then the video feed from a hurricane coming into shore, then it all starts fading to grey, as it shows the world map of this world suddenly morph into Estard.  The shadow of Orgodemir appears above it, growing larger and larger until it covers everything.  It then cuts to a picture of Dragon Quest VII's logo with a black background.  Then just below that is written piece by piece, like a ghostly hand is writing: It's coming...Summer '16.

=====

What do you guys think of these ideas for a video campaign?  Any input, any potential for helping me out if needs be?  I'll see what I can get together, but I've been mulling this over in my head since last night.  I won't be back until much later, as I have a ton to do, but I had to get this up before I forgot.

Oh, right, one last thing.

I was actually thinking, and forgot about this.  Between 7 and 8, maybe tackle other series.  Starting with Japanese companies...maybe Castlevania, then Breath of Fire...then Resident Evil...then Metal Gear Solid...then it goes West.  Bethesda is turned into Square-Enix, and Elder Scrolls and Fallout both become Dragon Quest VII...then Call of Duty becomes Dragon Quest VII...

• Upvote 1

Brainstorming some great concepts!

I also think we should make some art based ads much like the great contest Cesar is running. Maybe we can think of some catch phrases and such.

• Upvote 1

Brainstorming some great concepts!

I also think we should make some art based ads much like the great contest Cesar is running. Maybe we can think of some catch phrases and such.

Slogans and catch phrases are definitely a good thing.  Keeps things tied, if anything catches on.

Ok, I just downloaded Movie Maker.  I'll try to toy with my ideas when I have some time.

What if there was a Dragon Quest commercial with Seth Green. Hehe. Wait there is. We need another one of these for DQ7.

What if there was a Dragon Quest commercial with Seth Green. Hehe. Wait there is. We need another one of these for DQ7.

I just googled those and wow! I wonder who thought that was a great idea for a game advertisement.

I have a hard time finding any other American Dragon Quest commercials besides that one.

Even better than Seth Green, they should have commercials with Seth Rogen!

I don't know if he likes it is even aware of the series though...

I try to gather things as they come up, so if you find any others let me know.

@ignasia, I like ideas 8 and 9. The first 7, though…

What got me to pony up and preorder DQXI beyond its cast and beautiful world was being reminded of its incomparable legacy and unwaveringly confident identity. Unlike both FF and Zelda that I personally feel sacrificed a significant amount of identity for potential modern “relevance” with especially their latest iterations, DQXI is a pure celebration of what Dragon Quest is and always has been.

I think when it’s positioned as seeing itself as needing to compete with FF or Zelda or any other game, it has lowered itself. For me, the most effective thing about the way this game has been marketed, at least in Japan, is by celebrating its history, legacy, and commitment to its own unique and enduring ideas.

I understand that outside of Japan, such a campaign also requires educating the public to some degree, but I think that approach is better suited to DQ’s optimistic spirit of adventure than a “crushing the competition” campaign.

Just my ¥2.