Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

About Red and Morrie

Hello all, ol' Yangus here with a question for those who've played the 3DS version.

So, as we know, Red and Morrie have been added as playable characters to 8, but I'm wondering: how do they and where do they join the party? Are they optional or mandatory? If optional, how do you obtain them?

...ok, so it's a few questions, but...COR BLIMEY!

Red is mandatory, joins after Captain Crow

Morrie is optional, joins after clearing rank S of the monster arena

Also to make sure you still only have 3 party members against a certain boss fight with a nasty complexion, they changed it so that Rank S can not be attempted until beating that certain boss fight.

Edited by The n00b Avenger

So they don't join till much later (or at least a halfway) in the game, huh? That's a bit of a shame, but I can see why they would've done that. I can't recall how far into the game Captain Crow is, so I hope Red doesn't fall into Aira or Terry territory in that she may be behind everyone else.

I suppose if you play your cards right and form a good monster team, you could get Morrie right after that boss fight....

Thanks for the info, n00b. Are they with you then for the rest of the game (in cutscenes and the like), or do you have to go and talk to a character to switch them out of your party ala Dragon Quest 7 style?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I've seen in youtube videos players change characters on the fly. So in essence it's like having 4 in a battle but 2 in the backup ready to take their place.

• Upvote 2

So they don't join till much later (or at least a halfway) in the game, huh? That's a bit of a shame, but I can see why they would've done that. I can't recall how far into the game Captain Crow is, so I hope Red doesn't fall into Aira or Terry territory in that she may be behind everyone else.

Having played the game not way too long ago, I remember being in the mid 30s level wise at Captain Crow.

I've seen in youtube videos players change characters on the fly. So in essence it's like having 4 in a battle but 2 in the backup ready to take their place.

Well, I mean you DO have a wagon...

Morrie was like 5 levels higher than my main character when he joined(I got him at level 30 and he joins at level 35) so as long as you complete S rank when it's reasonable to there's no worries about his level. Characters outside of your party get EXP even when they don't participate as well.

Red joins at level 33 which is generally about the same as the protagonist when you get her. You might be a little higher or lower depending on how much you resisted the temptation to kill any Metal King Slimes that spawned in the Dragon Graveyard sidequest.

Considering the game doesn't have job classes you don't have to worry about a character being like Aira or Terry.

Edited by The n00b Avenger

I more so made that Aira/Terry comment in regards to the amount of skill points Red would have available to her by the point she joins you. Totally different ball park with skill points and the job class, I know, but my point was that I was worried she would be outclassed and would have trouble keeping up of her skill point distribution from level ups weren't sufficient.

I'm going to assume she gets quite a few at level ups and/or she comes with a certain amount of skill points you can allocate?

Alright, awesome! Thanks for the info.

I don't know why they absolutely need that boss fight to have 3 party members. If having a fourth party member makes that certain boss easier, they should have just balanced its stats accordingly.

Think about it. Morrie is optional. If you balance it for 4 party members that would be unfair to the people who don't have Morrie yet(which would probably be most players)

You don't deserve to get past that point if you don't immediately try to add Morrie to your party because you don't know the true depths of your own passion.

I would do whatever it took to get Morrie in the party. I was really surprised when they added Morrie in the playable characters category. I never dreamed they would have made him playable. I figured maybe Kalderasha or perhaps Marek, or maybe even Valentina would have been playable. I can't complain, to get a remake like this is just awesome with all the new dialogue. I just wished it could look as good on the 3ds as it does on the ps2.

I've been wondering what Red and Morrie's character special skill sets are(like how the Hero has Courage and Yangus has Humanity).

Edited by Stepchan

Actually, I'm wondering about that too.

I'm sure somebody has that information somewhere

Decided to check, they are indead known, at least for the Japanese versions, don't know for sure what they'll call them in English:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/160146-dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king/72843201

To be curtious, I'll spoiler it(Note: it's not spoilered at all in the link)

Red's special skill: Outlaw, gets some really nice passive benefits in gold bonuses and auto stealing.

Morrie's special skill: Nekketsu, which relates to words like passion, zeal, etc. This one has summons in it.

Edited by Stepchan
  • Upvote 1

I was hoping Morrie's would be called that or something similar. Fingers crossed that the first option will be its English name.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

On a side note...

*Sees Morrie's final Boomerang skill*

Why couldn't the hero get that in the original?!

Edited by Stepchan

So boomerang was his third weapon after hammers/clubs and claws. For the life of me I could not remember what Morrie's 3rd option was. Thank you Step for helping me remember!

And in some ways it looks better than main character's set(same with clubs versus Yangus).

That's what a lot of passion and gusto gets you.

Now if only they will port this game later to PS4 and REALLY make it look good like DQ XI!! (and add more content! heheheeh :) )

Going back to Red real quick, I saw her alternate costumes. I know some have seen them, but I'll spoiler it for those who want a surprise:

Pirate captain and what looks like a ninja. I love the ninja costume.

Also, digging one of Jessica's new costumes. The one that starts at 0:45

Is that an idol singer theme?