Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Changes to costumes

Figured I'd share this because I came across it. Looks like Red's default outfit was altered slightly, as was Jessica's Magic Bikini outfit.

I actually like the change to Red's outfit.

I still like the smoother look to the PS2 better, the alterations however I can take them or leave them.

I might be weird, but i like new costumes better, i never was too big fan of biklini like costumes in games :)

I'm gonna be a big nut and say...

Who cares?

I don't like bikini costumes. At all. 

Who cares?

I'm only posting because I haven't seen anyone mention it. Figured it's worth adding to the changes to the 3DS version even if it's a cosmetic change only.

I'm not one for bikini costumes either.

Also the DQ3 female warrior design was censored, the dangerous bustier design was censored, the bunny girl design was censored, the scene where Marcello stabs himself was censored, and the scene where the guy eats dog food was censored.

I figure if they're going to make a video about censorship they should at least make it more comprehensive.

It's just a difference in what's acceptable in Cero A on a console in 2004 and what's acceptable in Cero A on a handheld in 2009+.

if it was rated Cero B instead there would most likely be no censorship.

Edited by The n00b Avenger

I'm just happy we can completely avoid the "International version censored, preorder canceled" discussion that Xenoblade is going through for getting rid of the bust slider and other details.

Edited by En Garde

I'm just happy we can completely avoid the "International version censored, preorder canceled" discussion that Xenoblade is going through for getting rid of the bust slider and other details.

That whole situation is bonkers anyways. 

The DQ games look fine either way. I do wonder if the costume redo was by Horii or Toriyama's decision or someone higher up at Square Enix. We may never know that.

That whole situation is bonkers anyways.

The DQ games look fine either way. I do wonder if the costume redo was by Horii or Toriyama's decision or someone higher up at Square Enix. We may never know that.

From my understanding the changes were made because they wanted to keep the rating for the game low in Japan. Not sure how the rating system works in Japan, but that's why the slight alterations were made.

As for Xenoblade X....that's been a wonderfully fun show to watch.

Redacted.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Who cares?

Well, censorship of any kind is bad.

That being said, this is a rare case of the Japanese version being censored. If Aira wasn't censored in DQ7 3DS, it makes me wonder if it's the Prime Minister's growing influence that caused this one. I know a lot of anime/manga writers are always unhappy with his policies regarding media.

Censorship breeds censorship. It should never be condoned or dismissed as "not important".

The "it's not important" approach is what's led to ESRB Rated M games in the US getting censored. Really now... We're adults, let us decide what we want. Only adults can purchase a Rated M game anyway.

I think you're overreacting a bit. This is a video game, a piece of playable media. Who cares if a girl's skirt is lengthened or something similar?

I can get being miffed if say, religious overtones are toned down and it affects the story, but something like this? It's nothing.

It's localization. Not censorship.

Saints Row 3 (and 4) having to edit the dildo bat in Australia is censorship. Wolfenstien's new game having to tone down Nazi references in European territories is censorship. Not changing a piece of clothing in a JRPG.

One thing to note is that these changes were made by Square Enix and Yuji Horii, and are very obviously present in the Japanese version. So I don't think you can claim censorship when the creator of the series is backing these changes to help spread the game to a wider audience within his own country, and (whether intended at the time of release for the 3Ds version or not) for an abroad audience across the sea.

Redacted (again).

I'm going to make one more post; if you want to talk of censorship and all that jazz about this "issue," then do it here. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-nintendo-3ds/72833845

I didn't make this topic to discuss that damn word, and only wanted to show some of the cosmetic changes the team made to the game because no one has mentioned the cosmetic changes much.