Sign in to follow this  
redneckpride4ever

The Den advertising agency.

I was thinking that one of our biggest gripes has always been lack of advertising.

The campaign we had was huge in its own right. The Tweets, the spamming of blogs on the SE site, the Facebook pages (which usually had me and Drew coordinating to get people to spam the SE Facebook page)....lots of elements from lots of people came together. Remember the SE survey? I got my wife to do it as well as me. Remember the guy from France who wrote the letter to Japan? I've spoken with him via FB, and thanked him heartily.

The entire DQ7 operation was a heavy grassroots effort. Drew had the connections to get OpHero big, and I was proud to be able to serve as backup. The DQ community was scattered, but we found all the missing shards and assembled them to complete the pedestal.

We needed to have each other's backs in this. Seriously, we all have to be willing to put in our individual efforts- each one is a shard. When you take that moment to write a blog message, you're taking initiative. A team effort is only as good as the willingness of each participant to do their best.

During the summer, I was having some major problems in my real life, and when you need to consult an attorney on an important matter, Dragon Quest is far from a foremost concern. It was other people not leaving the table that picked up my slack. A team is like a chain- each link is needed or the chain is no longer a chain. And each link needs to be strong in case another link needs repair. Fortunately, during my problem spell (which could haunt any one of us at any time), there was everyone else still hammering away.

So...what's my point?

The truth is we still have all the tools for the venture I propose. We need to start an advertising campaign for DQ7 to supplement whatever SE comes up with. We've proven that we as a community have a wide reach. Each of us have access to literally hundreds of people. Some of us may have ways to make videos or pictures viral. Drew and I can spread the word to a degree, but the reach goes beyond when everyone pitches in.

What we do here at the Den is of limited scope...HOWEVER, this is usually the birthing spot for ideas that we carry out. Seriously, what is stopping us from setting up a Youtube channel to put up videos? Then share the living hell out of them? Or simple art constructed ads that you can share on FB, etc? Cesar is first rate with that stuff. His promotional materials would be epic.

And as for videos, I actually have a goofy idea where I tell someone (i.e. my wife) that I'm going on an adventure.

I then take my F150 out into the woods. AFter a minute, I stop the truck and say "Time to begin the adventure." I pull out my son's 3DS (since I don't own one) and the DQ level up tune kicks in. The DQ overture kicks in and some gameplay scenes are shown with the typical sales pitch.

I'm gonna lose some sleep tonight brainstorming. Here's hoping I'll see some ideas brought to the table when I log on tomorrow.

• Upvote 2

I like it.  We seem to be on the same wavelength, as I was thinking about this for awhile now.  I'm going to see about video creation, and I have some good ideas, but I don't know if they'll get done, or if they'll be possible.

Everyone loves the stay puffed marshmellow man (whose over 30 that is ;) ), what could possibly stop him in his tracks from killing the ghostbusters?  Why, the bright golden shiny thing in the distance...omg it's DQ7 and he looks again...it's DQ8...seriously, wtf, he's overloaded with sensations he cannot fathom, not being human, and then it cuts to his blowing up.

Or it can be cut to the very end...where the streams intersect, and boom, Dragon Quest VII's logo appears within it, which fits, because there's a lot of blue, orange, and yellow light.  Then it cuts to the moment of their sheer joy...and bam, rick moranis with his giant goofy smile, then the DQ7 logo appears again.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 2

I've had some fun ideas banging around in my head for a while now for videos to make.  I just haven't been able to find the time to do it, but now I think I really need to dig in and just make them.  I definitely like the idea of taking on the task of promoting the upcoming games (and recent releases).  Let's DO this!

Our task will not only be to produce, but to get as many folks as possible to see.

A Youtube channel might be a solid place to start. My own channel....let's just say that my clientele is not our target audience. Saigan has an awesome channel, Mattcraft a nice LP one, Zenith a nice one. I know some of us have channels, but I say it is best that we start a fresh one. Any uploaded vids can be brought to a central point, increasing channel views and visibility.

Let's not forget spreading around the great artwork. Hell, maybe I can make poster ads, as in physical copies.

Another nice thing is that we are spread out. Right here in this thread so far we have Alberta Canada, New Mexico USA and New Hampshire USA. Being spread out is a good thing when we have the internet to glue us together.

Anyway, work awaits. I'll be back on after 9PM Eastern time.

I think everyone's done a great job with spreading the word about DQ fandom.  I spoke to SE NA marketing directly last month about some of the contests we have going on at The Den, there's a solid fan presence in the Dragon Questers Facebook group, and the direct response from fans to the official Dragon Quest Twitter and Facebook accounts has been a (mostly) positive influence.

There's also Westy, the western traveling Dragon Quest slime, who I got to see at NY Comic Con.  He's recently been promoting DQ on his travels throughout the west.  He just got done visiting plattym3, down in Florida and I hear he's on his way to Colorado next.

https://www.facebook.com/westytheblueslime/

https://twitter.com/WestyBlueSlime

If you want to go one step further and do videos, that's cool.  Maybe we can create a DQ fan promotion section (in addition to the section we already have for fan art) that houses links pages featuring artwork, videos, etc.  (It's entirely possible we have this already, though.)

Edited by Liamland
  • Upvote 2

I'd be more than happy to join in as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3GC21cieD0o1Z61Z1gw02g

I have a decent chunk of subs for a DQ focused channel.

And the DQ Facebook group I manage has 700+ members.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DQuesters/

I've wanted to make new video for DQ since I got that mat that has the warm tile design, so this is the perfect excuse.

I'd be more than happy to join in as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3GC21cieD0o1Z61Z1gw02g

I have a decent chunk of subs for a DQ focused channel.

And the DQ Facebook group I manage has 700+ members.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DQuesters/

I've wanted to make new video for DQ since I got that mat that has the warm tile design, so this is the perfect excuse.

To quote Shia LeWhatever, "DO IT!"

I have a great idea for a video, albeit a short one:

We open on Yangus minding his own business when, like a Yoda-esque King we all know, something sneaks up and surprises: the logos for DQ7 & 8. Naturally Yangus is shocked and shouts the infamous "COR BLIMEY!" line, and we fade to black or white with the message "Dragon Quest is back in 2016!"

That would be sweet haha. I've wondered if anyone here has ever tried to get in touch with those actors. We could commission him to do some lines for some videos if any of them where down for it. That would really give it a cool authentic vibe.

My twitter is pretty much dedicated to Dragon Quest at this point. I use it to showcase my personal collection as it grows. I tweet at the Dragon Quest twitter account quite frequently, and I try to spread the word of the franchise as best I can. I'm nearing the end of acquiring all the number titled games for the West (I'm literally down to two) and I was thinking about having some fun and showcasing them on twitter as I'm sure lots of people haven't seen them or know they exist.

I try to retweet, share and promote as much as I can. I've made at least half of my coworkers play DQ games and all of them are excited for the 3DS remakes. If there is anything else I can do to help, I will get right on it :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nice!

My goal is to expand the word outside of our DQ community. Get the word out to as many people as humanly possible. Drive up sales!

Fortunately we have time to accomplish all of this. I'll start making my own project plans and keep in touch.

Edited by redneckpride4ever

Great ideas, I started a YouTube account not too long ago just to house some Heroes Videos (not arranged well yet), but we could always use that one, or create a new one. I will have to see if I can come up with any ideas.

Oh and if you do want a new forum let me know :)

Edited by Woodus
  • Upvote 2

Great ideas, I started a YouTube account not too long ago just to house some Heroes Videos (not arranged well yet), but we could always use that one, or create a new one. I will have to see if I can come up with any ideas.

Oh and if you do want a new forum let me know :)

Actually a new forum would be an epic place to centralize A) All of our ideas and B) Any materials we come up with.

I'm actually considering a mailing too. Just a simple ad and mail it to various random addresses. I have no way to hit any core demographics, but spreading the word might help some anyway.

Just a simple ad and mail it to various random addresses. 

Isn't that called spam?

Isn't that called spam?

No, its called junk mail. Spam refers to email.

• Upvote 1

Isn't that called spam?

Forgive him.  He's never lived in a world without email.  :thumbsup:

OK, here you go

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showforum=123

If you want any subforums to further subdivide things let me know

• Upvote 1

Isn't that called spam?

Forgive him. He's never lived in a world without email. :thumbsup:

What's an email? Is that the thing on the "internets" all the kids talk about?

Sorry, I assumed you meant e-mail. Does anybody use actual post anymore for anything other than deliveries of physical goods purchased online?

We -really- need to restart the Slime Time podcasts...

*HINT ERDRICK HINT*

Sorry, I assumed you meant e-mail. Does anybody use actual post anymore for anything other than deliveries of physical goods purchased online?

Store flyers, Geico trying to get me to buy their insurance, car dealers, credit card companies, political ads.

That and TV are still the best ways to get around AdBlock.

I was told that the next episode would be about DQ3, and since I've not finished DQ3 yet, I opted out of the episode. If we're going to do an episode on DQ7, I'm totally down for that. I was never in charge of Slime Time though, so I don't know why you're *HINT*ing at me...

I've considered starting a rant/rave/talk show/podcast kind of thing of my own for my YouTube channel, though. Not completely dedicated to Dragon Quest, but I've got a couple of ideas for episodes already, which have to do with DQ7. The show's format would probably resemble Saigan's Quester's Rests more than anything, although with my own spin to it. I'd be open to having guest speakers occasionally to do something in a similar vein as Slime Time.

The last one was me, you, and Testla though, wasn't it?

I've always wanted to do stuff like this with Dragon Quest, but I always feel like I never know enough to actually talk about it.