Sign in to follow this  
kamil88

Worth to get, if you have PS2 version?

Hello

For anyone who own Japanese copy, is it worth to get 3DS version (When it wil be released in Europe) if you have PS2 version? I heard there are 2 new characters, and extra ending. I also wonder, if there will be option, to switch to Japanese VA?

Edited by Erica

I can honestly say for the extra content alone, it's worth it.  It extends play time by at least 10-20 hours.  The extra two playable characters, Red & Morrie are absolutely wonderful although I wished there were at least two more.  PS2 version is perfect in my opinion because the graphics are smoother and the background is more lush, its uncensored, the music is great and other than that it was a true gem of its time and still is.

Every copy sold sends a pro-DQ vote to SE. I've never played the mobile DQ8, and due to its laggy nature I likely never will, but I bought it as a vote. My wife has Steam, and if DQH indeed shows up there, I intend to buy it. Either that or get it for my step daughter's Dad as a Christmas gift.

A couple weeks back I went off on a rant about SE considering crowdfunding. However, I intend to purchase anything DQ thrown our way. Purchasing a product you may not use may sound ridiculous, but I feel like we're in a boat that it is more of an investment in the future.

Its kind of like when I send a donation to the NRA- I know what the purpose of the money is. Granted, it is more like crowdfunding in method, but the entire operation of the NRA is a specific thing. And even within the organization, I can donate to my choice of their lobbying arm, their PAC, their legal fund, their shooting sports programs, etc. I still have some control of how my money is used.

Crowdfunding SE- who knows what legal loopholes they'd use to put the money into another project like a new FF or the like. At least with my donation method, the money is going into Dragon Quest. I would only consider crowdfunding SE if they put up a video showing specific economics charts and made a guarantee that the money would be spent on a specific project.

Basically I'll donate 50 bucks to a cause. But I want my cash to go into the cause I want. And with a for profit entity like SE, I want my money to be in exchange for a product, unless you have a damn good pitch for wanting me to crowdfund you. 

In other words, I'll reward them financially for anything DQ they give us.

I basically agree. Even though I have this game on the PS2 (and VII on the PS1) and have beaten them both, I am most definitely buying them again to support this.

Redneck, I find it really awesome that you have a good relationship with your stepdaughter's dad. :D

I had never thought about a situation like that, but now that I see it, I think it must be a very good thing, especially since it would surely make her happy.

Congratulations for being a good dad. And congrats for sharing DQ with others, I guess. :)

• Upvote 3

Redneck, I find it really awesome that you have a good relationship with your stepdaughter's dad. :D

I had never thought about a situation like that, but now that I see it, I think it must be a very good thing, especially since it would surely make her happy.

Congratulations for being a good dad. And congrats for sharing DQ with others, I guess. :)

Thanks man! Believe it or not, he routinely comes to my place to play cards and such. We hang out just like I'd hang out with any of my other friends. I'm even friends with his father and mother.

You have a year to think about it TC. I would say beyond the generous amount of new content and gameplay improvements, having most of the original voice cast reunited again in the expanded storyline is extremely exciting to me. The best just got better.

Who knows, they might pull a DQ8 and make the Western version more refined than the Japanese version.

Edited by En Garde
  • Upvote 4

^ Has there been any word on the English voice cast coming back?

No, but they did get Ricky Grover back for Yangus in DQ Heroes.

No such luck for Emma Ferguson/Jessica though.

However, considering the already existing dub, I either see them reusing what they can and either leaving the new dialogue silent or recording new dialogue, whether with the old VA or new ones where they can't get those to return.

I just don't see them spending the money to record for the entire thing again when they have a perfectly acceptable one for most of the 3DS release.

Edited by Tiael

No, but they did get Ricky Grover back for Yangus in DQ Heroes.

No such luck for Emma Ferguson/Jessica though.

However, considering the already existing dub, I either see them reusing what they can and either leaving the new dialogue silent or recording new dialogue, whether with the old VA or new ones where they can't get those to return.

I just don't see them spending the money to record for the entire thing again when they have a perfectly acceptable one for most of the 3DS release.

I agree. I'd be surprised if they re-recorded everything.

And all we need is Ricky Grover. He can do a good Trode impression. :P

Cor blimey!

• Upvote 1

This might be something we should ask SE about on their social media, if the original voice actors are being sought out.

I will definitely be buying both of them as soon as they come out

I've been playing portables a lot more than consoles lately so I think it's worth picking up. But yeah the extra content makes it worth checking into regardless.

• Upvote 1

Definitely seems worth it over the PS2 version. They changed the game from random encounters to you encounter battles by running into enemies in areas, bonus bosses, bonus equipment, bonus dungeons, two additional characters and they nerfed some things considered overpowered.

• Upvote 1

Definitely seems worth it over the PS2 version.

That's up for debate, and this is coming from a guy who can't wait to get the 3DS version.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Aside from the graphics it is, and even then I still think it looks good.

Just not as lush as the PS2 version is, but I think that's more due to them adding visible encounters.

• Upvote 1

I totally forgot about the on field monsters... that will definitely be a plus for a lot of people.

I totally forgot about the on field monsters... that will definitely be a negative for a lot of people.

Fixed.

I totally forgot about the on field monsters... that will definitely be a negative for a lot of people.

Fixed.

I prefer it personally. The use of random encounters in RPGs looks like its dying down, which I'm cool with. I never get annoyed by it but I always prefer when monsters are visible in the world.

Fixed.

Not necessarily.

DQ has been moving past random encounters starting with DQIX, where even the remakes of DQVII and the enhanced port of DQVIII replaced them with visible encounters.

Most people like the change, and you still get your random encounters on boat.

Embrace the change.

Edited by Tiael

Embrace the change.

grumpy-cat-no.jpg

I should mention I'm actually looking forward to the mobile version of DQVII more than the 3DS version because It's got all the updates of the 3DS version (minus the orchestrated OST, which I can probably hack in myself) but keeps the random encounters. I'm still getting and playing the 3DS version, but I will play again on my iPhone or iPad.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
  • Upvote 1

I like random encounters and am ok with them, but I also like visual encounters.

I don't mind what DQ does, just give me the games.

DQ going to visual encounters doesn't bother me that much (plus I still get a taste of random encounters with ocean travel), it's not like it's going ARPG for the single player entries anytime soon, right?

NOOO

Least it avoided that, for now.

Edited by Tiael

Only problem I have with the visual encounters in DQ is that it feels like there are way too many battles and not enough room to meander around enemies. 7 3DS is nasty about this is some areas of the game.

If only more games with visual encounters would integrate Earthbound's style: if you overpower the enemy, you insta-win.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind that.

Though I'm usually inclined to slaughter everything, so if something blocks my path it dies.

Edited by Tiael